Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been up in NW Donegal for most of the last two weeks, and my God I've never seen anything like the amount of camper vans and cars from all over, right to the other end of the country! (LK, WX, C etc).

Normally this time of year it's mostly NI reg's to be seen.

People are definitely spreading their wings within the confines of Ireland this summer.

I continue to be absolutely blown away with the beauty of the landscape and beaches up there, even on the ****ty days (of which there were only one or two, to be fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just to give you all a gasp and a laugh maybe, I got a pop up message from somewhere about Private Irish Railtours.

Hmmm. Got on the website and sure enough the train trip is private, i.e. no one else getting on or off. They have reduced the numbers for social distancing and so on. Snacks and drinks on board complimentary. So far so good.

7 nights staying in hotels in Waterford, Cork, Killarney, Galway, Belfast and wherever BnB only costs how much do you reckon? Tours included but no meals.

Well it is €1,899 per person. They obviously think we are Americans or something. That is outrageous pricing IMV. Am I wrong to thing that?

That’s not a new thing. I’ve come across that before at similar price points and well above and it’s not just an Irish thing. There is a market out there for expensive multi day train journeys.

Most surprising thing is that it works in a small country like Ireland but there you go.

Just spent 5 days in Sligo on the North West coast.
    Miserable. The rain & wind was horrendous.
    There was literally nothing to do when the weather was bad.

Going to Westport next week for 2 nights, 200euro a night in a Mon &Tues night .
    Outrageous prices, 200 euro for one room per night on a Mon/Tues night!!

And it will probably rain......

Get me on an aeroplane asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Charged €5.50 for a Guinness in Newport, Co.Mayo at the weekend. Not the kind of price I would expect to be paying outside of Dublin. Is that normal or have they whacked up their prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

7 nights staying in hotels in Waterford, Cork, Killarney, Galway, Belfast and wherever BnB only costs how much do you reckon? Tours included but no meals.

Well it is €1,899 per person. They obviously think we are Americans or something. That is outrageous pricing IMV. Am I wrong to thing that?

Only Americans get those tours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Charged €5.50 for a Guinness in Newport, Co.Mayo at the weekend. Not the kind of price I would expect to be paying outside of Dublin. Is that normal or have they whacked up their prices?

Was it in a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Irish people go to Canada, American, Europe and Australia on rail tours.
    My parents even did it
    So there must be a market for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

We decided against a holiday in Ireland this year for the first time. Prices are definitely 2 to 3 times what they usually are, and with covid in circulation happier to staycation at home. We’ve been taking day trips every weekend, bringing picnics as we’ve small kids and pre booking to eat out is not very practical. Mostly we have noticed the places we’ve been are busy, so it seems a lot of people are holidaying here, including those with yellow reg cars and campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Currently staying in the Wyatt Hotel in Westport with the family, was woken up by a feckin squawking crow at 5:30 this morning. Why didn't I have my window closed you ask, well because the room was like a furnace. Why can't Irish hotels fit AC ffs!

Apart from that, there was a nice vibe around the Octagon as people were outside having a few pints. Stout was decent, food was OK, nothing major.

The covid arrangements in the hotel are a bit odd, staff can't service your room during your stay but none of the staff are wearing face coverings, bar/restaurant/reception, no coverings used at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd say this is worth a call to the "Joe Duffy Show".....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sabinaspb

Just back from a weekend in Northern Ireland. Stayed in Premier Inn (titanic) for £45 a night for a family room, which I thought was great value for a weekend. Went up to Giant's causeway/dunluce castle/dark Hedges which you can do without having to pay to enter. We booked our time slots for museums (some are free entry) in advance of the trip and went to Belfast Zoo on our last day. Hotel served breakfast, we ordered dinner delivered to hotel through app, did not want to bother with looking for a sit in place. All in all great trip, and definitely felt I wasn't getting ripped off. Used uber to get around Belfast museums to save time and hassle to find parking spaces. Wish we stayed longer, have to say everyone we dealt with was very welcoming.

The covid arrangements in the hotel are a bit odd, staff can't service your room during your stay but none of the staff are wearing face coverings, bar/restaurant/reception, no coverings used at all.

Hotels i've stayed at recently say you have to request that your room be cleaned, staff won't come knocking at your door as pre-covid...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd say this is worth a call to the "Joe Duffy Show".....

The stock boards scoffing bull**** answer to everything. Parody at this stage.

It’s a disgraceful price for a pint. More gouging, Irish business don’t deserve our help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

HBC08 wrote: »
    Was it in a hotel?

No

It’s a disgraceful price for a pint. More gouging, Irish business don’t deserve our help.

I'm sure you would be the first one on here to complain that the staff at a pub/restaurant didn't have masks/hand sanitizer/gloves and perspex screens up... so if a business has to charge an extra 50c for a beer then suck it up!

If you don't like it then the local off-licence will sell you 8 cans of Guinness for €12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

sabinaspb wrote: »
    Just back from a weekend in Northern Ireland. Stayed in Premier Inn (titanic) for £45 a night for a family room, which I thought was great value for a weekend. Went up to Giant's causeway/dunluce castle/dark Hedges which you can do without having to pay to enter. We booked our time slots for museums (some are free entry) in advance of the trip and went to Belfast Zoo on our last day. Hotel served breakfast, we ordered dinner delivered to hotel through app, did not want to bother with looking for a sit in place. All in all great trip, and definitely felt I wasn't getting ripped off. Used uber to get around Belfast museums to save time and hassle to find parking spaces. Wish we stayed longer, have to say everyone we dealt with was very welcoming.

NI gets a bad rap from some eejits still living in the '80s.
    Avoid obvious problem areas and it's very pleasant. Not badly priced either.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'm sure you would be the first one on here to complain that the staff at a pub/restaurant didn't have masks/hand sanitizer/gloves and perspex screens up... so if a business has to charge an extra 50c for a beer then suck it up!

If you don't like it then the local off-licence will sell you 8 cans of Guinness for €12.

Some of that might be valid if businesses here didn’t have form for it for years. Everything is just an excuse to bleed the public dry and this is like all their Christmases come at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Some of that might be valid if businesses here didn’t have form for it for years. Everything is just an excuse to bleed the public dry and this is like all their Christmases come at once.

Businesses have form for maximising profits? I'm shocked.

No one is bleeding anyone dry, as suggested, you have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

They've limited space, they've set the price at a point to dissuade some, but ensure demand remains high. Don't like the price, you don't buy.

Its unfortunately necessary when space is limited . Why'd you think an airplane sandwich is 5/6 quid. It's not about gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gardner

Have Doolin booked for 2 nights ( Aran View Country House)

then, Inis Mor booked for 2 nights ( Pier House bed and breakfast)

then Clifden booked for 2 nights (Station House Hotel)

then Westport booked for 2 nights (Hotel Westpost)

anyone stay here or would recommend alternative. Basically we will be walking, cycling and going to main tourist attractions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your covering a lot of ground there in a short time, weather would want to play ball with you, have you kids in tow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gardner

Your covering a lot of ground there in a short time, weather would want to play ball with you, have you kids in tow?

nope and dont mind driving a few hours a day if needs be to see things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

Does anyone have any recommendations for a self catering stay for 4 adults and two infants in Kerry or Donegal. Ideally we would like courtyard / lodge style accommodation with an adjoining hotel to make use of the leisure facilities. Parknasilla for example but unfortunately its booked out.

On a seperate note, it is proving very difficult to get any sort of vacancy for 11/12 September. I would have hoped things had calmed down by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

CackHand wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a self catering stay for 4 adults and two infants in Kerry or Donegal. Ideally we would like courtyard / lodge style accommodation with an adjoining hotel to make use of the leisure facilities. Parknasilla for example but unfortunately its booked out.

On a separate note, it is proving very difficult to get any sort of vacancy for 11/12 September. I would have hoped things had calmed down by then.

I have stayed in these for self catering, I added the Kinsale hotel in Cork as well as that was great break for us. Some of the prices maybe cheeky though.

Kinsale Hotel & Spa
    Park Hotel Kenmare (The Townhouse)
    Sheen falls
    Muckross park
    Gleneagle apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭oldfella

hi ..im looking for somewhere to stay in the tramore/dunmore east region in mid august .prefer hotel ..touring around during day,,no kids .any recommendations from anyone ....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi guys, we are heading to Sligo and looking for a few recommendations for restaurants.
    Also can anyone recommend somewhere in either longford or Mullingar to break up the trip and get a nice lunch (rather not go to a service station).
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

No

Name and shame then.
    Are you sure that was for a Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi guys, we are heading to Sligo and looking for a few recommendations for restaurants.
    Also can anyone recommend somewhere in either longford or Mullingar to break up the trip and get a nice lunch (rather not go to a service station).
    Thanks all.

Red earth in Mullingar is nice for food and a wander, there’s a gift shop and outdoor seating area plenty of parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

tom1ie wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Bloomfield house hotel just outside mullingar has lovely food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    NI gets a bad rap from some eejits still living in the '80s.
    Avoid obvious problem areas and it's very pleasant. Not badly priced either.

NI is great. A lot to offer..generally decent value..there's a fifty percent off food Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August that makes eating out very appealing at the moment also.

Advertisement