Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Have a post a few pages ago. Stayed in Castlebar and had a great few days last week.

Found it there, that’s the job I’ll take that advice, Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Found it there, that’s the job I’ll take that advice, Cheers.

That's yer man's territory, you know the fella with the three houses. Dublin Mayo and Belgium.

Anyone been to Limavady Co Derry. Heading up there with all the family the end of next month for 3 nights. Looking for things to do.Giants Causeway only 40 minutes away so will visit that. Looking for ideas for other things to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Anyone been to Limavady Co Derry. Heading up there with all the family the end of next month for 3 nights. Looking for things to do.Giants Causeway only 40 minutes away so will visit that. Looking for ideas for other things to do

A bit of a dampener - Limavady and that general North Coast is not really great for people from the south. You will find some dismissive attitudes towards you. That whole area is fairly Unionist and time warped. Be aware of it but just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

We had a nice hill walk in the Sperrins on Saturday.
    No marching Orangemen up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

josip wrote: »
    We had a nice hill walk in the Sperrins on Saturday.
    No marching Orangemen up there.

Try going for a few pints or a restaurant and you will soon notice the vibe !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Not the most welcoming place I've ever been to. Had to go there for a wedding last year so stayed for a weekend. Was more than mindful of pub's or restaurants that I was visiting. The sight of multiple parachute regiment flags on the roads through parts of Derry was pretty off putting. Personally I wouldn't be rushing back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Not the most welcoming place I've ever been to. Had to go there for a wedding last year so stayed for a weekend. Was more than mindful of pub's or restaurants that I was visiting. The sight of multiple parachute regiment flags on the roads through parts of Derry was pretty off putting. Personally I wouldn't be rushing back there.

Derry is great, flags are flags, least you know where you are going when they are displayed. The Derry people are some of the nicest I’ve ever met in my life. I’d recommend Derry, I don’t know much about the part you are going to but don’t be put off by the flags, if that was the case nobody would visit there. The people of Derry are very welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Derry is great, flags are flags, least you know where you are going when they are displayed. The Derry people are some of the nicest I’ve ever met in my life. I’d recommend Derry, I don’t know much about the part you are going to but don’t be put off by the flags, if that was the case nobody would visit there. The people of Derry are very welcoming.
    You can’t say “I don’t know much about the area” and then give your opinion on it

“Derry” and Limavady are not the same. So much so that you couldn’t even use the word Derry without being pulled up on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I hear what you're saying. I was just making the point that I drove through Derry on my way to limavady and the flags were everywhere. It was just the start of the uncomfortable feeling that I felt there for the weekend. I totally realise some people can brush that off and ignore it, but personally I didn't feel very welcome up there. I was even cautious of where I parked my car. But best of luck to the person who is travelling there, I hope they really enjoy it and see the sights they've been looking forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Have to disagree. The only reason Parachute Regiment flags are flown is to celebrate the Regiment's massacre of civilians on Bloody Sunday and its numerous other atrocities perpetrated against Northern Irish Catholics. Indeed if the Regiment wasn't withdrawn from Unionist areas in 1972 following protests and a "mutiny" by the UDR it's unlikely it would still be celebrated by Unionists as they would have had to experience its tender mercies the same way Catholic communities did.

Anyone wanting to celebrate their British heritage can fly a union jack instead. When I visited the North Antrim coast there were plenty in the town of Bushmills and it certainly didn't bother me. I found the area and the town of Portrush perfectly pleasant and friendly for a night out. I'd take my money there instead of some kip inhabited by bigots flying Parachute Regiment falgs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Went south for a Friday - Monday weekend, pissed rain while Dublin had an OK Saturday just gone.

Same happened when we stayed in Dublin and did day trips a few weeks back.

Our record of wet weather whevever we travel around with kids remains intact!

Went south for a Friday - Monday weekend, pissed rain while Dublin had an OK Saturday just gone.

Same happened when we stayed in Dublin and did day trips a few weeks back.

Our record of wet weather whevever we travel around with kids remains intact!

Please post any future travel plans here so that the rest of us can plan accordingly :)

I've driven around a lot of Northern Ireland over the past couple of months.
    Many small towns that wouldn't be on major routes.
    From what I've seen, flags/bunting is a very Unionist thing and not as common in Nationalist areas.

As a tourist from the Republic, I found it very useful as it helped me to decide where we would stop and spend our holiday money in shops etc.
    We didn't go looking for tricolours, just skipped the towns/villages with the Union Jack or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

visited the ceide fields a good few yrs ago
    views are spectacular but I got bitten alive on the bog by the flies

it was around Aug/Sep time aswell
    Well It is a lovely spot, but bring your raingear lol.

Depends on whether you are driving or not.

Ceide Fields is amazing, as is Westport and Achill Island. The Greenway from Westport to Achill is something else too. Mayo people are so welcoming, and I am a true Dub!

I don't get the graw for the usual spots like Dingle in Kerry and West Cork and Clare.

Far too crowded IMO, But hey that's just me.

The North West has a special place in my heart. Well my OH is from there so can you blame me!

6541 wrote: »
    A bit of a dampener - Limavady and that general North Coast is not really great for people from the south. You will find some dismissive attitudes towards you. That whole area is fairly Unionist and time warped. Be aware of it but just ignore it.

Staying in the Roe Park Resort. It seems to have a few things there that you can do. Will head to the Giants Causeway one of the days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have 8 days booked around Carna / Carna Bay in Galway.
    Any recommendations of things to do, sites to see etc?

Will have kids for a few days and then just 2 adults for the rest of the time.

Don't mind driving a bit to get to places.

Any recommendations welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

wandererz wrote: »
    Have 8 days booked around Carna / Carna Bay in Galway.
    Any recommendations of things to do, sites to see etc?

Will have kids for a few days and then just 2 adults for the rest of the time.

Don't mind driving a bit to get to places.

Any recommendations welcome.

Visit Mweenish beach and the interconnected islands there. Usually deserted, almost. Similar Calaweensia beach, huge and shallow bay down a small side road on the way to Cill Chiaran about 5 miles away. Locals can tell you the way. Day trios to Roundstone and Clifden not far about 15 and 25 miles.

Forgot a visit to the NUIG Marine research station.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Staying in the Roe Park Resort. It seems to have a few things there that you can do. Will head to the Giants Causeway one of the days

Lovely spot and you'll have no issues whatsoever. South Derry is GAA country and your up over the Glenshane from there and through Dungiven. If you need any advice let me know as it's my neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Have to say the chippies in NI are great no matter where you go

• Advertisement

Chopper83 wrote: »
    Lovely spot and you'll have no issues whatsoever. South Derry is GAA country and your up over the Glenshane from there and through Dungiven. If you need any advice let me know as it's my neck of the woods.
    Cheers Chopper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

My heart goes put to anyone who is on their staycation this week.

So much rain+ storm tomorrow + Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sabinaspb

If you are heading to giant's causeway, and a few of you going, my tip is book at least one ticket. The giant causeway site is free to visit, technically. But by paying for a ticket you can use the visitor car park which saves you hassle of looking for alternative parking and trekking for a few extra kilometers. Dunluce castle is close by and is worth a visit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

In Wexford atm. Had a scorcher of a day yesterday. Rain is back today. In a cottage with 4 solid walls so we should be OK later on *fingers closed*

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

staycation why not just say a holiday in your own country,I cringe at this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

soap1978 wrote: »

It doesn't fit in a headline \ email title \ ad banner.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

soap1978 wrote: »

You cringe at it, yet here you are posting in a thread about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

sabinaspb wrote: »
    If you are heading to giant's causeway, and a few of you going, my tip is book at least one ticket. The giant causeway site is free to visit, technically. But by paying for a ticket you can use the visitor car park which saves you hassle of looking for alternative parking and trekking for a few extra kilometers. Dunluce castle is close by and is worth a visit.

The national trust tour and centre is fairly solid IMO. I didn't feel shortchanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

whoever first coined the phrase staycation should be riduculed, the single worst word in recent years, not in the slighest Irish, are we we all Yanks now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

sabinaspb wrote: »

Cheers Sabinaspb

Advertisement