Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Back yesterday after 7 days in galway.

The weather was fantastic. Spent time at silver strand, dogs bay, tra mor, island view and coral stand beaches.

Ireland is beautiful when you get the weather to enjoy it.

You are so very lucky. I had absolutely miserable weather a while back in Connemara, and though I am normally very cold-tolerant, I was perishing most of the time. Forced myself into the water in the pouring rain, actually (as I heard a parent close to me say to their child€ the water seems to warm up a bit in the rain. How I would have loved my forays to your above mentioned beaches to have been in tolerable weather. I did, however, get one nice day which I spent swimming at the magnificent Salerna beach (near Cleggan), then walking Omey Island where they were holding, of all things, beach bingo on the strand.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I've been on a lot of day trips 'Castle ward' in Northern Ireland is amazing.

But I wouldn't stay at a hotel because they are all packed and the R number in Northern Ireland has gone up.

There are so many very beautiful places in NI, and County Down is great for day trips, so much to see in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hate the indo, but this story will stick with many of the public.
    The gov advice is not to travel.
    Many of us adhered to this advice and lost money because of it but we felt it was the right thing to do for our country.

This is far from a nothing story.
    For a government obsessed with spin and optics, this is so poor.

He's chairperson. Basically a governance overseer and not involved in the running of the organization.
    Considering he's paid very little it probably took him less than a minute to decide the gutter press intrusion is not worth it.

I suspect he will continue to enjoy his holiday and wouldn't give two hoots to what the indo or sinn fein think.

Interesting that sinn fein think it's OK to travel to a funeral of a gun runner during the main lockdown but a resigning issue cos someone takes a holiday to a country that travel to is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Darc19 wrote: »
    He's chairperson. Basically a governance overseer and not involved in the running of the organization.
    Considering he's paid very little it probably took him less than a minute to decide the gutter press intrusion is not worth it.

I suspect he will continue to enjoy his holiday and wouldn't give two hoots to what the indo or sinn fein think.

Interesting that sinn fein think it's OK to travel to a funeral of a gun runner during the main lockdown but a resigning issue cos someone takes a holiday to a country that travel to is permitted.
    you do realise that there was unlimited travel when the funeral occured, didn't break any rules in that regard, not that i agreed with the amount of people that attended the funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

votecounts wrote: »
    you do realise that there was unlimited travel when the funeral occured, didn't break any rules in that regard, not that i agreed with the amount of people that attended the funeral

Nor did Michael Cawley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hate the indo, but this story will stick with many of the public.
    The gov advice is not to travel.
    Many of us adhered to this advice and lost money because of it but we felt it was the right thing to do for our country.

This is far from a nothing story.
    For a government obsessed with spin and optics, this is so poor.

This indeed is for me a bit strange as Italy on the green list so why does he resign.
    I have always being of opinion if Government guidelines fallowed all ok, he is also a private citizen and entitled to holiday.
    I think the problem in meat factoiies is way more serious and nothingb said about it.
    Surely this be start of accountability in this country.
    I think whoever in charge of HSA should also go to Italy...

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

So far have just done a few day trips
    - Dunmore East had excellent lunch at The Harbour Inn
    - Clonakilty and Inchydoney back via Dinos in Kinsale for lovely fish/chips
    - Mount Congreve gardens and the Waterford Suir Valley Railway (highly recommend)
    ate at The Elm Tree near Carrigtwohill on way home and was excellent.
    - Cobh, Got takeaway lunch box at SeaSalt deli and had it by the bandstand overlooking haulbowline, also took in Fota House gardens which are free just €3 for the car park.

Have a 4 night booked for Wexford next month to Whitford House a place we often stayed fadó fadó when the kids were small so looking forward to that.

Doing 2 nights in a castle hotel in Cavan, tonight & tomorrow in the 2 night b&b + 1 dinner deal. At the coffee end of the sumptuous dinner. In my experience most dinner deals include a "dinner allowance", but here, in complete contrast, the inclusive dinner guests are given the full banquet.

I enjoyed a very interesting drive up from Dublin, stopping at the Hill of Tara (free), Bective Abbey (free), Loyd Spire inland lighthouse, Kells high crosses & round tower (free), & beautiful Moynalty Village, a Tidy Towns winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just arrived in Kerry from Donegal to find a yellow rain warning for tomorrow. Bleeurgh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Doing 2 nights in a castle hotel in Cavan, tonight & tomorrow in the 2 night b&b + 1 dinner deal. At the coffee end of the sumptuous dinner. In my experience most dinner deals include a "dinner allowance", but here, in complete contrast, the inclusive dinner guests are given the full banquet.

I enjoyed a very interesting drive up from Dublin, stopping at the Hill of Tara (free), Bective Abbey (free), Loyd Spire inland lighthouse, Kells high crosses & round tower (free), & beautiful Moynalty Village, a Tidy Towns winner.

Pop by Trim on the way back for a wander. I think the castle is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kerry probably Killarney, great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Spent the last week in West Mayo - Great spot when the sun shines, plenty to do and see. Not so much fun when it doesnt-but that's pretty much the same anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Had a week with the wife and kids at parknasilla in Kerry. We stayed in the villas which are great. Hotel and staff were brilliant, food is great and the houses very nice. Facilities are really good and amazing weather helped. We also spent a week in Cahersiveen sat an AirBnB. Went to Kells bay, ballinskeeligs, And derrynane beaches. Spent a day on Valentia zIsland too. Weather was great - only 2 bad days in 14

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

kippy wrote: »
    Spent the last week in West Mayo - Great spot when the sun shines, plenty to do and see. Not so much fun when it doesnt-but that's pretty much the same anywhere.

That is where we are going once the kids go back to school if ever!

Westport and Achill, then move on to Mullaghmore for a few days.

Weather not important we just cater for that. But it would be nice just the same.

Four seasons in the one day is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere in Ireland to visit in Autumn? I have a milestone birthday coming up but unfortunately it's during the time of year when Ireland is (even more) rainy and cold.

I'd love to visit the Cliffs of Moher but I'd imagine they'd be unpleasantly exposed to the weather at the latter end of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Idjit wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere in Ireland to visit in Autumn? I have a milestone birthday coming up but unfortunately it's during the time of year when Ireland is (even more) rainy and cold.

I'd love to visit the Cliffs of Moher but I'd imagine they'd be unpleasantly exposed to the weather at the latter end of the year?

Depending on families, age profiles and numbers, I'd recommend a lighthouse - there are a few of them around.

kippy wrote: »
    Depending on families, age profiles and numbers, I'd recommend a lighthouse - there are a few of them around.

It would just be me and my partner going. It's for my 30th. I might leave the Cliffs of Moher until next summer instead so it's more likely I'd get good weather for the walk.

I was more asking for suggestions of towns/counties to visit rather than accomodation suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

It would just be me and my partner going. It's for my 30th. I might leave the Cliffs of Moher until next summer instead so it's more likely I'd get good weather for the walk.

I was more asking for suggestions of towns/counties to visit rather than accomodation suggestions :)

Killarney? Clonakililty?

Killarney? Clonakililty?

Any reasons why you suggest them for an autumn stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

Always something going on there, especially Killarney. Both in gorgeous locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'd second Killarney, the national park is beautiful in autumn colours, and not as exposed as the coast.

I'll give them both a looksee, thanks for the suggestions!

I don't get get the Graw for places like Dingle, too full with people.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in Cavan yesterday. I have never been up that end of the country. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Went on sone lovely lake walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adare Limerick
    Cobh Cork
    Killarney Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Finglas is lovely this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Thinking of going to Mayo in the first week of September for a few days, what’s to see and do up there? Never been. Time to explore this country alot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Thinking of going to Mayo in the first week of September for a few days, what’s to see and do up there? Never been. Time to explore this country alot more

Have a post a few pages ago. Stayed in Castlebar and had a great few days last week.

• Advertisement

Well It is a lovely spot, but bring your raingear lol.

Depends on whether you are driving or not.

Ceide Fields is amazing, as is Westport and Achill Island. The Greenway from Westport to Achill is something else too. Mayo people are so welcoming, and I am a true Dub!

I don't get the graw for the usual spots like Dingle in Kerry and West Cork and Clare.

Far too crowded IMO, But hey that's just me.

The North West has a special place in my heart. Well my OH is from there so can you blame me!

Advertisement