Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Heading to Westport in a couple of weeks. Are there any pubs open where you can have a meal and a quart. Heard all the pubs in Westport are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay in Caherdaniel? 150 max per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was down in Doolin today for a spin...Christ the amount of yanks & Brits was scary...we just got a cup of tea and came straight back home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Going to Galway and Sligo for a week. Looking forward to it.

I think its very Irish to have a scheme for staying at home to Holiday in Ireland to keep money in the country but not applicable during the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

knipper wrote: »
    Heading to Westport in a couple of weeks. Are there any pubs open where you can have a meal and a quart. Heard all the pubs in Westport are closed.

Just back from westport last week, stayed 6 nights in the wyatt hotel (highly recommend). No pubs open bar the ones serving food but the wyatt has a bar that was very popular with people that were not staying there. As a resident no need buy food each time so very handy that way. Guinness and food was great and had a cracking few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

talla10 wrote: »
    Going to Galway and Sligo for a week. Looking forward to it.

I think its very Irish to have a scheme for staying at home to Holiday in Ireland to keep money in the country but not applicable during the summer months

No need to offer incentives to people to stay here during the summer. We are doing that anyway as most people are responsible and not going abroad. During winter months though people more inclined to travel to the sun. So an incentive to stay here makes sense then. It is more common sense than "Irish" as you put it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I live in Clare and it's pissed rain five days out of the last seven. Was due to travel to the Algarve in September but my government tells me I'm safer at home. And staying at home is what I'll be doing. To hell with a rain soaked staycation and to hell with the " new normal"...... Just back from a ( half empty) local bar where we had to leave at 105 mins to keep the CMO happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Staying four nights in Castlebar in a studio apartment Airbnb this month. Can honestly say after seeing nothing aside from four walls at home and the factory at work since the winter that I've never been as excited for a holiday since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

zweton wrote: »
    Just back from westport last week, stayed 6 nights in the wyatt hotel (highly recommend). No pubs open bar the ones serving food but the wyatt has a bar that was very popular with people that were not staying there. As a resident no need buy food each time so very handy that way. Guinness and food was great and had a cracking few days.

How was the bar open without serving food?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I live in Clare and it's pissed rain five days out of the last seven. Was due to travel to the Algarve in September but my government tells me I'm safer at home. And staying at home is what I'll be doing. To hell with a rain soaked staycation and to hell with the " new normal"...... Just back from a ( half empty) local bar where we had to leave at 105 mins to keep the CMO happy.
    We've had to do that in the only two pubs in our town who serve grub.
    It didn't ruin our night. And the time limit actually makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

How was the bar open without serving food?

I was thinking the same. But its rediculous hotels should be allowed serve drink in bars to residents only. It would be easy enough to police using your room key to order. Went to kerry a few weeks ago. Wouldnt be a big drinker but once we left a restuarant at 9 there was nothing to do but go back to our accomdation. Allowing hotels to open bars to residents only would help spread custom around a town

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I was thinking the same. But its rediculous hotels should be allowed serve drink in bars to residents only. It would be easy enough to police using your room key to order. Went to kerry a few weeks ago. Wouldnt be a big drinker but once we left a restuarant at 9 there was nothing to do but go back to our accomdation. Allowing hotels to open bars to residents only would help spread custom around a town

I believe that some Hotels in Ireland will allow you to take a pint up to your room and drink it there....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I believe that some Hotels in Ireland will allow you to take a pint up to your room and drink it there....

Lobbies too, any I know of apply bar rules in their bars and after meals etc residents can move to the lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bladespin wrote: »
    Lobbies too, any I know of apply bar rules in their bars and after meals etc residents can move to the lobby.

I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would pay to go to a hotel a couple of hours drive away to be told they have 105 mins to eat dinner and then shoved out into a hallway or back to your room to have a drink...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Just back from two nights in amber springs. Great for kids. Any other hotels around the country with similar facilities for kids? Really made the whole thing enjoyable for us and our two year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Im heading to N Ireland tomorrow for 4 nights. Looking forward to it. Looked Kerry and saw the punters are being screwed in hotels etc. so reckon they dont deserve our business.

Back from a nice itinerary which I enjoyed very much, but for the woeful weather a lot of the time.

Dublin-Athlone (visited castle) - Lodge at Ashford Castle 1 night (visited Ross Errilly Friary ruins on way) - Clifden self-catering 4 nights (Intended 6 but was referred to Galway for X-ray after bone stuck in throat) from where I visited Omey Island, Dakerna Beach, Cleggan, Ballyconneely coral beach, Gurteen Bat, Sky Road, Bunowen beach, Aillebrack beach, Ballynahinch castle grounds - Loughrea overnight (Coole Park, Thoor Ballylee & lovely swim at a Loughrea lake beach) - Tullamore overnight (via Clonfert Cathedral & Lough Boora Discovery Oark, both zero cost) with whiskey Tasting experience at DEW - back to Dublin via Edenderry (where I took a look at the church designed by an ancestor) and Lullymore Heritage & Discovery Park in Kildare.

I made sure to take the slow roads and explore places in the Hidden Heartlands as well as my key destination in the west. Found some hotels to have paper-thin walls, where crowded room parties were happening with young folk. However I found food to be value for money and perhaps over-generous in proportions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

6 nights booked along the wild Atlantic Way in September, moving north from Clare to sligo. Really looking forward to it. Hope the weather is good, but it's not the end of the world if it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Im heading to N Ireland tomorrow for 4 nights. Looking forward to it. Looked Kerry and saw the punters are being screwed in hotels etc. so reckon they dont deserve our business.
    Thinking of a few nights up there myself. Good value to be had. I'd rather hand the Queen my money than the rip off merchants down here. No shame whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Staying four nights in Castlebar in a studio apartment Airbnb this month. Can honestly say after seeing nothing aside from four walls at home and the factory at work since the winter that I've never been as excited for a holiday since I was a kid.

Make sure to cycle the Castlebar Greenway to the national museum in Turlough,also lots of nice places to eat in Cbar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Northern Ireland definitely has better value at the moment which is a shame as I would rather spend my money in our own economy but not willing to pay the inflated prices hotels here are charging

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Kilkenny next week for a few days.

Hopefully pubs are given the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

HBC08 wrote: »
    Make sure to cycle the Castlebar Greenway to the national museum in Turlough,also lots of nice places to eat in Cbar!

One of the things planned to do, taking the wee 3 year old in a towed trailer, give me a bit of an extra work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

zweton wrote: »

The Wyatt is a lovely spot alright. Could not fault it, right in the centre of things (well once upon a time), and very friendly and professional staff and super grub too. Just saying.

Are there any hotels left after all the B listers and influencers went west for their stories?

Just to give you all a gasp and a laugh maybe, I got a pop up message from somewhere about Private Irish Railtours.

Hmmm. Got on the website and sure enough the train trip is private, i.e. no one else getting on or off. They have reduced the numbers for social distancing and so on. Snacks and drinks on board complimentary. So far so good.

7 nights staying in hotels in Waterford, Cork, Killarney, Galway, Belfast and wherever BnB only costs how much do you reckon? Tours included but no meals.

Well it is €1,899 per person. They obviously think we are Americans or something. That is outrageous pricing IMV. Am I wrong to thing that?

Just to give you all a gasp and a laugh maybe, I got a pop up message from somewhere about Private Irish Railtours.

Hmmm. Got on the website and sure enough the train trip is private, i.e. no one else getting on or off. They have reduced the numbers for social distancing and so on. Snacks and drinks on board complimentary. So far so good.

7 nights staying in hotels in Waterford, Cork, Killarney, Galway, Belfast and wherever BnB only costs how much do you reckon? Tours included but no meals.

Well it is €1,899 per person. They obviously think we are Americans or something. That is outrageous pricing IMV. Am I wrong to thing that?

But “support Irish business” :D

There’s been enough stories the past few days to prove they all think we’re idiots.

But “support Irish business” :D

There’s been enough stories the past few days to prove they all think we’re idiots.

To be fair, not all places are gouging, there are reasonable deals to be had, but it is high holiday season and it was always thus.

We will be going September time, when hopefully the kids will be back at school (but who knows), and the holiday frenzy time is easing off a bit.

To be fair, not all places are gouging, there are reasonable deals to be had, but it is high holiday season and it was always thus.

We will be going September time, when hopefully the kids will be back at school (but who knows), and the holiday frenzy time is easing off a bit.

Pubs are gouging, restaurants are gouging, hotels are gouging, yet they all stand behind a big banner with the pockets hanging out asking us to support Irish like it’s some sort of right they have. It’s the Irish way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Visited Chorca Dhuibhne and the Ring of Kerry this weekend. There are no tour busses or coaches on the road and other traffic was v light so there are advantages to travelling at the moment.

It was surprisingly nice to strike up conversations and chat to people from other parts of Ireland. Met people who have been living near me for a while too actually :D

Advertisement