Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Blue Skies is only one of three metrics I use to judge my Summers here in Bray. Temperature wise I have to imagine that the prevailing South Westerlies, Westerlies and North Westerlies bringing us all the cloud are also adding a degree or two to my temps from the Foehn Effect as we are wrapped in the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains.

My small Shops Double Door faces the South and this Summer the whole Double Door is open every day, the side window is open every day to create a through draught and I've needed to strip my top off down to a T-Shirt every day in work from 8am to 8pm. High teens or 20ºc+ every day according to the phone which I assume isn't an actual official Bray reading and thus probably doesn't take into account the Foehn Effect. I sleep in an Attic Master Suite with 2 Velux and I've had them open every night this Summer and also had my Bedside Fan on every night this Summer. In other words, Temperature wise I have zero complaints about this Summer.

Even wrt to rain, like others have mentioned, I think a lot of it has come overnight thankfully. Certainly its been cloudy every night for the last 2 months as I never did get to see Comet Neowise and thus was paying attention to the night skies. It was notable during lockdown that the 3 month drought was lucky for all the folks in Q's outside shops including ours. In those 3 months I only remember one or two days where some poor sod was having to stand outside in the rain outside the main shop window waiting for the previous customer to leave. However I could also count on one hand the amount of times I've noted another poor sod getting drowned outside waiting during our 'Terrible' June and July. In other words despite June and July demolishing the drought and soil moisture deficits, it does indeed look like most of it must have come overnight as I haven't taken note of many customers getting drowned outside in the Q's.

Even in terms of clear skies during the day, I think we've probably faired better than many with the Mountains and/or a maritime layer breaking up wall to wall cloud coming from the SW/W/NW more often for us in Bray letting at least a little sunlight through to brighten up things somewhat. The dullest Summer in Bray in manys a year absolutely, but not strictly a 60+ day streak of total grey depression inducing dankness either. I count my blessings every day that I'm lucky enough to live here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Calibos wrote: »
    Blue Skies is only one of three metrics I use to judge my Summers here in Bray. Temperature wise I have to imagine that the prevailing South Westerlies, Westerlies and North Westerlies bringing us all the cloud are also adding a degree or two to my temps from the Foehn Effect as we are wrapped in the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains. My small Shops Double Door faces the South and this Summer the whole Double Door is open every day, the side window is open every day to create a through draught and I've needed to strip my top off down to a T-Shirt every day in work from 8am to 8pm. High teens or 20ºc+ every day according to the phone which I assume isn't an actual official Bray reading and thus probably doesn't take into account the Foehn Effect. I sleep in an Attic Master Suite with 2 Velux and I've had them open every night this Summer and also had my Bedside Fan on every night this Summer. In other words, Temperature wise I have zero complaints about this Summer. Even wrt to rain, like others have mentioned, I think a lot of it has come overnight thankfully. Certainly its been cloudy every night for the last 2 months as I never did get to see Comet Neowise and thus was paying attention to the night skies. It was notable during lockdown that the 3 month drought was lucky for all the folks in Q's outside shops including ours. In those 3 months I only remember one or two days where some poor sod was having to stand outside in the rain outside the main shop window waiting for the previous customer to leave. However I could also count on one hand the amount of times I've noted another poor sod getting drowned outside waiting during our 'Terrible' June and July. In other words despite June and July demolishing the drought and soil moisture deficits, it does indeed look like most of it must have come overnight as I haven't taken note of many customers getting drowned outside in the Q's. Even in terms of clear skies during the day, I think we've probably faired better than many with the Mountains and/or a maritime layer breaking up wall to wall cloud coming from the SW/W/NW more often for us in Bray letting at least a little sunlight through to brighten up things somewhat. The dullest Summer in Bray in manys a year absolutely, but not strictly a 60+ day streak of total grey depression inducing dankness either. I count my blessings every day that I'm lucky enough to live here.

Was interested in reading it but impossible without paragraphs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is the first morning I've woke in ages that it hasn't either been raining or the ground been soaking wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Woke at 7 this morning to endless blue skies. Its now 10am and the black clouds have rolled in. Not a single piece of blue sky left. wind is starting to pick up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dark Dark Dark but it’s better than wet wet wet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sun breaking through now here in Roscommon, cool enough start but a bit of warmth now. Yesterday went from torrential rain in the morning to a nice sunny warm afternoon, enjoyed a short cruise on the Shannon. Tomorrow doesn't look half as bad as was showing earlier in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Weather forums in UK looking forward to mid thirties across Central and SE England as if we are all going to get that. Not even close, though I'll take 20-22 and pleasant days over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was interested in reading it but impossible without paragraphs :)

Sorted.

You don't realise how much you’ve typed in the small text input window. Wouldn’t blame anyone for not reading what turned out to be a wall of text! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Why is it so damn windy ALL the time?

Not wet today but cloudy and windy.

Id say July was the windiest on record and 2020 must be one of the windiest.

No major storms but wind all year.

Rosses Point is fairly destroyed from it all.

Oh yeah did I say ....its windy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Woke at 7 this morning to endless blue skies. Its now 10am and the black clouds have rolled in. Not a single piece of blue sky left. wind is starting to pick up too.

We are exact same. I was only saying this morning that it was going to be a glorious day. It didn't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Similar story here, first morning in ages I've opened the curtains to something that resembled summer but it quickly clouded over.

Still the odd break in the cloud and feeling warm though so could be a lot worse

Horrible, misty and dark morning in Cork. Was dry at 7am but mist took over then. Looks like it could clear now and hopefully turns into a nice day. The weather here continues to confound nearly all the forecasts and it has been quite an unusual period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oh the weather is bad in Cork... thats a good sign, must mean a Southerly airflow is setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pauldry wrote: »
    Oh the weather is bad in Cork... thats a good sign, must mean a Southerly airflow is setting in.

It's woeful! It's like late Autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dried up now in Cork City, still dark clouds lingering though and about 18 degrees, very humid feeling. Hopefully the mist won't make a comeback after such a nice afternoon and evening yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Supercell wrote: »
    Sorry for offtopic, anyone know what the U beside the L and the A beside the H in that map means?
    To be honest, I haven't a clue, but my best guess is that they are just identifiers/ system of naming of various highs and lows. I sit to be corrected.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

20 degrees and humid in Galway city. Was sunny til about 10 minutes ago, gone grey and started raining. Too warm and sticky for a jumper or jacket so end up walking in the rain wearing a t shirt

Dried up now in Cork City, still dark clouds lingering though and about 18 degrees, very humid feeling. Hopefully the mist won't make a comeback after such a nice afternoon and evening yesterday

No such luck. What a miserable day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Feels much cooler in Dublin than last few days due to surprise surprise strong wind.

Its a much fresher wind than one on Tuesday so not as humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

pauldry wrote: »
    Why is it so damn windy ALL the time?

Not wet today but cloudy and windy.

Id say July was the windiest on record and 2020 must be one of the windiest.

No major storms but wind all year.

Rosses Point is fairly destroyed from it all.

Oh yeah did I say ....its windy

We're just back from Strandhill. I can testify to the wind.
    Cloudy with a little drizzle. Didn't stop us from having a Mammy Johnston ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dissapointing day here In Meath, mostly cloudy, quite windy and feeling very fresh. Temperature reached 20C earlier but it feels more like 16C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Turned into a dark dreary afternoon with spits of drizzle. The couple of hours of partly cloudy weather this morning still elevate today to one of the best days since the June bank holiday but quickly back to normal now.

We'll try again on Saturday I guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The lack of sunshine during the daytime is still annoying, most days we get no more than 3 or 4 minutes of sunshine spread throughout the day, yet over the past week or more I have noticed several nights where we have completely clear skies and the next morning we are back to cloudy skies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

It's been dull here in wexford all day, and sometimes drizzle. What an awful summer it's been

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Summer 2020 should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So the South East of England could get at least five days with temperatures well above 30c from Friday. I don't think they'll break heat records, but 36 - 37 looks likely in the next few days.
    It looks like they could get organised thunderstorms too into next week. While we won't get the heat, hopefully we will have some thunderstorm out of this pattern too.

the noise being made by the UK weather channels and the UK media is annoying quite a few people in the UK as they talk about this week long heatwave as if it's going to affect all of the UK, when in reality it's really restricted to London, the south-east and perhaps parts of the south midlands and the far south. 2/3s of the UK landmass will not get this heatwave with low level warmth similar to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Gonzo wrote: »
    the noise being made by the UK weather channels and the UK media is annoying quite a few people in the UK as they talk about this week long heatwave as if it's going to affect all of the UK, when in reality it's really restricted to London, the south-east and perhaps parts of the south midlands and the far south. 2/3s of the UK landmass will not get this heatwave with low level warmth similar to Ireland.

Probably about 50% of the population in that 1/3 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gonzo wrote: »

No, a heatwave is also forecast for Wales where my friend is. She just told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The SE of England may have 36/37 degrees over the weekend but that's to hot...

Saturday here in Ireland will have temperatures up to 23 degrees and Sunday up to 24/25 in the midlands. Get out and enjoy it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement