Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

Woke up to misty crap in Cork city this morning and thought we were in for a repeat of yesterday's miserable stuff, but it cleared around 10am and turned out to be a beautiful, very warm summer's day. Didn't check, but I am guessing it topped out at around 23 degrees. Looks like I times my run well as off to Kerry for a week's break with the kids tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

compsys wrote: »
    Yeah, Dublin seems to have two extremes.

PP often generating the highest temps during the day and DA posting some of the coldest at night.

Despite the cool summer so far, PP was 0.6 degrees ABOVE average in June and only 0.3 below average for July.

According to ME, in the 44 months since January 2017, PP has been below average for 9 months. For DA it’s 18. It’s a big difference.

By their own admission the Phoenix Park station is not properly exposed, surrounded by high trees and with a building just a few metres away. That's why they don't measure wind there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max. temps. for today Friday 07th. https://t.co/BEfLvS1Gk0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I recall a thread on here a few years ago where the Heathrow station was found to be right next to a huge mass of concrete paving, not much different to Shannon here. Northolt I know is also a large airfield while St James Park is right in the increasingly densified city centre so you'd wonder how reliable these records are against LTA's

Also Phoenix Park station is right out the back of the OSI HQ surrounded by buildings and trees so not surprising it often records the highest temps, in many ways its location is more characteristic of your average back garden PWS than a synoptic station

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Northside,+Cabra+-+Glasnevin,+Dublin/@53.3636655,-6.3495375,156m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670d10c79deb57:0x4c544799344cedf7!8m2!3d53.3638827!4d-6.3488974

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning morning Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Perfect sunless skies west Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Max. temps. for today Friday 07th. https://t.co/BEfLvS1Gk0

We have the opposite problem to PP in measuring Cork city temps. Cork Airport is up on a high exposed hill (ca.170m) so you always feel it understates Cork city temps. I thought it was a bit hotter than 21.7c yesterday in Cork - it was real, summer heat I haven't experienced much this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Glorious morning in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We have the opposite problem to PP in measuring Cork city temps. Cork Airport is up on a high exposed hill (ca.170m) so you always feel it understates Cork city temps. I thought it was a bit hotter than 21.7c yesterday in Cork - it was real, summer heat I haven't experienced much this year.

Wouldn't be like a Corkonian to feel hard done by... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day yesterday in cork city though it dulled a bit around 5pm. Was very heavy and the sun when out was warm! Drove down west and clear blue skies again.

This morning down west is another day if clear blue skies and warm sun, soaking it all up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Beautiful sunny morning and feeling quite warm in Dublin.

We really have to enjoy and make the most of this lovely period of weather. It is so rare to get this settled warm spell in August in this country. After the horrific July we just experienced, this weather makes it even more satisfying. About time we had a decent August even if it’s only for half of the month.

I know it won’t be completely dry with heavy thundery showers forecast for eastern areas for the early part of next week but at least it will be warm with decent spells of sunshine. A hell of a lot better than that cold miserable windy month of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunny in Sligo. 18c

I can live with that.

Dont need 37c like London. I have young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Perfect lockdown weather in Kildare this morning anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

pad199207 wrote: »
    Perfect lockdown weather in Kildare this morning anyways

Seems like the weather god's are playing with us this year with good weather only allowed during lockdown. Thanks to Kildare for taking the sacrifice this time 'round :D

Glorious day up here as well, first proper summers day since the start of June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭highdef

Mostly cloudy and cool enough in North Kildare. Normal weather has resumed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cooler than recently here in Meath but still a nice sunny day and feeling warm when the sun comes out.

I think we may have seen the warmest temperatures of this spell already but 22 and 23C should be achievable over the next few days especially in southern and south-eastern areas.

Compared to July the temperatures over the past week have been much improved and high teens to low twenties can be expected for another week or so. Second half of August is starting to look quite cool, unsettled and more like autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

First day of Summer. Long may it continue.
    Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think it is the first time since May we have had two beautiful days in a row in Castlebar, touching 23C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Beautiful in Dublin 5, better than any day in July. Not overly warm but very pleasant, I'd much rather have these temperatures than what SE England is getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

‪I feel sorry for London residents currently. 34°C with cloud cover. Sounds oppressive.‬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sitting in the sun drenched back garden drinking a nice g & t

North Dublin

Azure blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Beautiful in Dublin 5, better than any day in July. Not overly warm but very pleasant, I'd much rather have these temperatures than what SE England is getting.

I’d say best day since June 15th at minimum or June 1st. So nice to have an actual sunny day and as you say, not overly warm either so perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Brilliant day in Carrick-on-Shannon, Sunshine all day and 22c holding too. Glorious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stunning is only way to describe today.

We have been outside since 10am this morning + I think sun went behind a cloud once.

Not even a cloud in sky here in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful day in Dublin 5, perfection.

Paris the hotspot city in Europe the past few days, up around 40 degrees past few days. Those are horrible temps though.

Would take what we have in Ireland this week over anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As bad as summer 2020 has been so far, there has been some great days :)
    Had a BBQ today with the paddling pool out in the garden for the nippers. Bliss.

522479.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Having a bbq for my birthday and it's nearly to hot for one, mad heat today, could it be the hottest day of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

First day of summer, August 8th. If we could record 89 more days like this before summer ends, we will have officially had a summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sawduck wrote: »
    Having a bbq for my birthday and it's nearly to hot for one, mad heat today, could it be the hottest day of the year

Temps on met.ie have been a bit cooler than it feels. Not sure if we even got to 24c. Newport in Mayo was hotest at 23 when I looked with Oak Park, Moore Park (Cork) and Shannon all around 22. Bizarrely Dublin Airport was on 19c in mid afternoon when I looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Temps on met.ie have been a bit cooler than it feels. Not sure if we even got to 24c. Newport in Mayo was hotest at 23 when I looked with Oak Park, Moore Park (Cork) and Shannon all around 22. Bizarrely Dublin Airport was on 19c in mid afternoon when I looked.

In fairness after such a cool July even 22 or 23 will feel hot.

PP got up to 20 I think. TBH it didn’t feel much warmer than that to me in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement