Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Of course but don't get annoyed when people with actual experience can point out what won't work in a physical building or fit in with how schools function. We all have a part to play.

You're right. Buildings and people management only occur in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Your principal hasn't been in touch?

This is the same as us. All I've heard from mine is forwarding me the documents which I had read 3 days earlier.

As a parent of kids in the school I did receive a text today telling me our reopening date. That's all the contact I've had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You're right. Buildings and people management only occur in schools.

In a school setting my boy. Do keep up. Hope the marquee sales are going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

It really highlights the ineptitude of the Department of Education when their plan to reopen schools is so blatantly poor that we are scrambling for ideas to make it work 3 weeks before schools open.
    Schools closed in March and this is the best they could come up with.
    Change the name of your classes to Bubbles and your groups become pods, throw in some hand sanitiser and hey presto... problem solved.
    Our children deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

People who are more highly paid than me have that task. I just teach.

How come you are so quick to dismiss every suggestion while offering no positive input into a solution to a problem you will be facing in 4 weeks?

Your attitude is probably indicative of the problems facing education in this country, no interest in solving problems but go out of your way to stop change, improvement or evolution in how things are done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

How come you are so quick to dismiss every suggestion while offering no positive input into a solution to a problem you will be facing in 4 weeks?

Your attitude is probably indicative of the problems facing education in this country, no interest in solving problems but go out of your way to stop change, improvement or evolution in how things are done.

Problem was solved 100 pages ago. Govt have no interest.

So it's not your job, but it is

How is it my job? I get paid to look after and provide an education to the children under my care. I'm not a principal, vice principal, either an AP1 or AP2 post holder so i am not a member of the ISM team. As a result I do as directed and follow what are our policies and procedures as informed by circulars issued by the department. The only thing I have control over is the teaching and learning of my class.

Your ire needs to be directed towards successive governments for their collective poor attitude towards education. Lack of funding and proper planning is coming home to roost. Teachers and schools aren't at fault. We can point out the obvious issues but sh!t doesn't flow upwards as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Problem was solved 100 pages ago. Govt have no interest.

Yet some teachers here are doing their utmost to try and be proactive and do their best for the children . Others just teach according to themselves !
    Some teachers here have been informative and at the same time willing to listen to others suggestions . Its been interesting to read the difference in how people approach a problem and how some face it full on and realise these are extraordinary times .
    Most have been supportive and empathetic with parents . Others manage to put parents down with almost every post . Its an eye opener to be honest how a few teachers think about parents
    But my guess is that they are young and lack experience and maturity to understand the complexity of extra ordinary times .

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

Your ire needs to be directed towards successive governments for their collective poor attitude towards education. Lack of funding and proper planning is coming home to roost. Teachers and schools aren't at fault. We can point out the obvious issues but sh!t doesn't flow upwards as we all know.

I don't care either way it doesn't effect me but I just wanted to know what your solution to the current problem is? Seeing as you spend so much time on this thread and offer your opinion to tell others what won't work you must have a suggestion on how to better manage the return to school in September?

• Advertisement

Just wondering from the parents here have any of the primary schools been in touch asking for the kids to bring their own small bottle of sanitizer and maybe wipes to bring with them to school? I'm thinking about giving them to my kids but have no information from their school so just wondering has anyone else heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't care either way it doesn't effect me

Oh, if you live, work or have family in Ireland.

This "plan" certainly has the potential to effect you and everyone else.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yet some teachers here are doing their utmost to try and be proactive and do their best for the children . Others just teach according to themselves !
    Some teachers here have been informative and at the same time willing to listen to others suggestions . Its been interesting to read the difference in how people approach a problem and how some face it full on and realise these are extraordinary times .
    Most have been supportive and empathetic with parents . Others manage to put parents down with almost every post . Its an eye opener to be honest how a few teachers think about parents

I wonder where I fit? Little from column A, little from column B 🙄😋😂ðŸ˜ðŸ˜€

Realistically we are arguing about nothing. We are going back, that is a definitive answer. We want to stay there but think most of us agree(well those of us with our eyes open) that the document/plan needs to be tweaked. Secondary needs a mask mandate to help with this. Primary we need better wording from whoever can provide it around sick children and what processes and procedures need to be followed with regards to suspected and actual cases. my bihpggest issue is around the return of children who were sent home/isolates with suspected cases just being sent back in the following day with nothing more than hpthe parent self certifying that they don't have covid. More clarity on what happens when there is no teacher to take a class after all the options have been exhausted. This eventuality will occur(hopefully rare) and there is nothing in the document saying what to do as it is again left up to 'local arrangements' to solve and unsolvable issue.

Rubbish talk about splitting the day is a non runner, we all know this.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Just wondering from the parents here have any of the primary schools been in touch asking for the kids to bring their own small bottle of sanitizer and maybe wipes to bring with them to school? I'm thinking about giving them to my kids but have no information from their school so just wondering has anyone else heard anything?

Schools are to procure using a centralised system that is yet to be developed/launched.

Schools are to procure using a centralised system that is yet to be developed/launched.

I read that but let's just say my confidence in that is low. So I'm wondering should I send my kids in with a small bottle of their own that they can use if needs be.

I read that but let's just say my confidence in that is low. So I'm wondering should I send my kids in with a small bottle of their own that they can use if needs be.

I wouldn't be waiting on the school to tell you anything. No harm in having it in the bag for them.

I wouldn't be waiting on the school to tell you anything. No harm in having it in the bag for them.

this is true. I will prepare them and have them in their bags!

But my guess is that they are young and lack experience and maturity to understand the complexity of extra ordinary times .

Sigh. Round and round we go again. Have you agreed with any of my posts? You have a professional troll who suggests classes in tents and pubs. If you denounce their ramblings and support the very very clear suggestions and criticisms I've made then I'll work with you on whatever you want. Until then I can't believe the mods haven't shut down this thread yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Yes, in my school we will be asking parents to send in a little bottle of hand sanitiser (have wall dispensers set up too but individual bottles at their desk would be handy). I've heard nothing about wipes but you might as well pop them into the bag - they don't have to be used, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Yes, in my school we will be asking parents to send in a little bottle of hand sanitiser (have wall dispensers set up too but individual bottles at their desk would be handy). I've heard nothing about wipes but you might as well pop them into the bag - they don't have to be used, after all.

At 2nd level, students wiping down their own desks is about all I see working during the day if they're leaving one room to go to another. Wudnt have time to do much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I was wrong about something and apologized. I don’t have any difficulty or shame in admitting when I’m wrong.
    I didn't say you should be ashamed, just that it helped inform me on just how much you know about education here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

The only 'parents' I have seen put down here are the three strange regulars on this thread who spend very very very little time 'parenting' and the vast majority of their time pasting from the guidelines, coming up with laughable ideas and thanking each other's naive posts.

To be clear, I am extremely empathetic of every other parent in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

That's just common sense really. Every child should have their own little bottle of sanitizer and wipes imo. (Although wipes are bad for the environment but maybe that's slipped down the priorities now !) My kids are in secondary school but just today got a very general letter from the school and they suggested that students have wipeable pencil cases. As that was the only suggestion, I am taking it that it is considered important.

Budget 2020 10.2 billion allocated for eduction
    22 april 2020 10 million funding for ICT in schools
    23 July 2020 375 million funding for schools reopening
    57 million to pay for the extra day in the leap year in 2020

Budget 2019 education funding increases from 360 million to 11.1 billion - record investment in education

Theres no lack of funding, there might be an issue with how the money is spent

khalessi wrote: »
    Denmark also used every available buliding to school the students, football stadiums, hotels, museusms and graveyards and they did not bring primary and secondary back at the same time as primary were using some of the secondary schools.

Very different approach here. Here we use the feck it will be grand approach

Denmark used other buildings, its great they can think outside the box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Blondini wrote: »
    The only 'parents' I have seen put down here are the three strange regulars on this thread who spend very very very little time 'parenting' and the vast majority of their time pasting from the guidelines, coming up with laughable ideas and thanking each other's naive posts.

To be clear, I am extremely empathic of every other parent in this country.

No I am not talking about specific posters being put down . I was talking about post that put parents in general down and being intolerant of the parents of their pupils . Things like “ no matter what I do parents will complain “ type of posts

Its not at all aimed at you as I know you are empathy and rational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Budget 2019 education funding increases from 360 million to 11.1 billion - record investment in education

Look, I'm going to say this, with your repetitive copying and pasting etc, I think you need to get assessed for ASD. I'm deadly serious. I think you need help. No joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Might I suggest you put your name forward to become a member of you local schools Board of Management or their Parents Association. You would make a great treasurer....... you might learn a little about the inner workings of schools too.

Blondini wrote: »
    Look, I'm going to say this, with your repetitive copying and pasting etc, I think you need to get assessed for ASD. I'm deadly serious. I think you need help. No joke.

Wow, what a statement and thanked by Smacruairi

• Advertisement

Wow, what a statement and thanked by Smacruairi

Yup, you're a clown. I stand by that assessment. You suggested classes in pubs supervised by randomers who had been garda vetted, and outdoor tents with dishwashers, broadband and live screening capabilities. You are away with the fairies. You still haven't given me your class plan that you said was easy by the way. Nor sorted out your substitution problem for clssses moving to halls kms away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement