Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

"Above my pay grade" is a term I've seen used a few times.

Yes by me to illustrate how most teachers don't have much say on policies and procedures or indeed department issued guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

You'd need a cleaner per room to do a proper deep clean in 20mins. That's all the time you'd have by the time you got all the first crew out the door and the few minutes needed to prep the room for the next crew. That would leave a break of about 20mins to do what we need to do including having lunch.

Realistically you would have staff in from 7am onwards to about 6/6:30pm. Heating the lighting costs would rise substantially. Insurance cover would also increase a huge amount.

A couple of cleaners and stagger the breaks would help. Teachers don't clean classrooms in a normal day. Cleaners and caretakers look after cleaning and opening up and closing the buildings. A deep clean is going to have to be done every day anyway.

Yes you will need to have to building open earlier and closing later. Most offices in the country are open from 07.30 to 18.30. Most schools have heating systems which can be timed.

Insurance should not increase as you have the same number of students on site but a lower student to teacher ratio and probably less activities such as sports and children playing at lunch time.

A couple of cleaners and stagger the breaks would help. Teachers don't clean classrooms in a normal day. Cleaners and caretakers look after cleaning and opening up and closing the buildings. A deep clean is going to have to be done every day anyway.

Yes you will need to have to building open earlier and closing later. Most offices in the country are open from 07.30 to 18.30. Most schools have heating systems which can be timed.

Insurance should not increase as you have the same number of students on site but a lower student to teacher ratio and probably less activities such as sports and children playing at lunch time.

You can't stagger breaks like you are suggesting at primary.

With your split day, a deep clean of all areas would need to occur twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yeh the private consultants did . You must realise it was because their own patients surgery and post op cancer care was being postponed . One consultant at the time said he had no choice as his cancer patient were not having their follow up care
    And the private hospitals were almost empty at one stage and needed to function again .

They make more money privately, money to keep their practices going or if you want to paint them as teachers are painted here cos they're selfish, money-grabbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Boggles wrote: »
    So multiply the school year time by 2?

19 years old getting out primary. :)

If it takes half an hour to prepare a lesson and an hour to deliver the lesson, how long does it take to prepare the lesson and deliver it twice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Eh, not exactly.

The teachers would be giving the same lesson twice in the day as their class would be divided into two. The students would be losing out in 10 hours a week in school but could make up the time with extra homework.

But the classes aren't being divided into two??

Why cant you stagger breaks?
    They make more money privately, money to keep their practices going or if you want to paint them as teachers are painted here cos they're selfish, money-grabbers

You could tutor privately

Why can't you stagger breaks at any age?

For example older classes could finish their morning class at 12.00, clean for half hour, new class in from 12.30, next classes switch and clean from 12.35 - 13.05 and then final group switches from 13.10 - 13.40.

A deep clean should be done on all areas twice a day regardless what happens. Plenty people on social welfare who will be looking for work that could easily be trained to clean and sanitize.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

You could tutor privately

And? Anyone can offer services privately

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

A time limit of 30 mins does not lend itself to a deep clean, even if you had a couple of people in each classroom.

Apparently staggering is the solution to everything. The reality of it is a constant flow of people through the building. All of this staggering relies on additional supervision.

While my contact time with my students is between 9 and 2.40, I spend at least 2-3 hours per day preparing and correcting work, liasing with learning support staff, paperwork (endless paperwork). This work doesn’t half because I am taking half my class at a time. It just means I would have to spend my evening on it after I return from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I mean, picketing the Dáil yesterday for more salary when they haven't set foot inside their places of work in 6 months??
    If you're that out of touch with what's happening here at home, I'm finding it very difficult to continue to read anything you post after that clanger. How many posts and pages later?

Why cant you stagger breaks?

Not when if as suggested the school was split in half, with half in and then other half later. Honestly do keep up in between the marquee sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

If you're that out of touch with what's happening here at home, I'm finding it very difficult to continue to read anything you post after that clanger. How many posts and pages later?

I was wrong about something and apologized. I don’t have any difficulty or shame in admitting when I’m wrong.

Why can't you stagger breaks at any age?

For example older classes could finish their morning class at 12.00, clean for half hour, new class in from 12.30, next classes switch and clean from 12.35 - 13.05 and then final group switches from 13.10 - 13.40.

A deep clean should be done on all areas twice a day regardless what happens. Plenty people on social welfare who will be looking for work that could easily be trained to clean and sanitize.

So going by your 4.5hr day you would have the children who start their schooling at 13:40 finishing up school at 6:10pm. That's just cruel on those kids.

Now back to one of the reasons why schools need to go back, working parents. How does a kid starting school sometime around lunch help the vast majority of people who work Monday-Friday, 9-5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I know it alright.

I remember back when we first where implementing procedures in response to the virus, the first thing we all said to our boss, thats not in me contract

Does your imaginary boss (probably your mother) in work (probably your box room) know you spend 23 hours a day embarrassing yourself on this thread?

A time limit of 30 mins does not lend itself to a deep clean, even if you had a couple of people in each classroom.

Apparently staggering is the solution to everything. The reality of it is a constant flow of people through the building. All of this staggering relies on additional supervision.

While my contact time with my students is between 9 and 2.40, I spend at least 2-3 hours per day preparing and correcting work, liasing with learning support staff, paperwork (endless paperwork). This work doesn’t half because I am taking half my class at a time. It just means I would have to spend my evening on it after I return from work.
    Do you think you'll just carry on as normal next term?

2 to 3 hours a day prepping and correcting will not be done in the class while in contact with the children.

Paperwork will not be done during class contact time

The work doesnt half, but how you manage it will.

Spend your evening on it? What do you think you'll be doing from 2:40 until evening?

So going by your 4.5hr day you would have the children who start their schooling at 13:40 finishing up school at 6:10pm. That's just cruel on those kids.

Now back to one of the reasons why schools need to go back, working parents. How does a kid starting school sometime around lunch help the vast majority of people who work Monday-Friday, 9-5?

Not nessecarily, you could have them do longer mornings and shorter evenings so the school closes at 17.30 if their pattern switches every second week or if they do 2 weeks of mornings followed by 2 weeks of evenings. Long mornings and short evenings. There is not going to be a perfect solution everyone is going to have to be flexible and adapt.

A kid starting school around lunchtime has the same impact on working parents as the school's being closed all day every day as has been the case for the past 6 months. The parents working at home may even get more work done while the house is empty for 4 hours.

I am merely trying to find an alternative solution to the overcrowded classrooms, full schools with 7 or 800 students and full corridors and canteens.

Please provide your solution on how to educate the schoolchildren of Ireland.

Not nessecarily, you could have them do longer mornings and shorter evenings so the school closes at 17.30 if their pattern switches every second week or if they do 2 weeks of mornings followed by 2 weeks of evenings. Long mornings and short evenings. There is not going to be a perfect solution everyone is going to have to be flexible and adapt.

A kid starting school around lunchtime has the same impact on working parents as the school's being closed all day every day as has been the case for the past 6 months. The parents working at home may even get more work done while the house is empty for 4 hours.

I am merely trying to find an alternative solution to the overcrowded classrooms, full schools with 7 or 800 students and full corridors and canteens.

Please provide your solution on how to educate the schoolchildren of Ireland.

People who are more highly paid than me have that task. I just teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Do you think you'll just carry on as normal next term?

2 to 3 hours a day prepping and correcting will not be done in the class while in contact with the children.

Paperwork will not be done during class contact time

The work doesnt half, but how you manage it will.

Spend your evening on it? What do you think you'll be doing from 2:40 until evening?

I was referring to the suggestion of bringing two halves in, one in the morning, one in the evening. I spend 2-3 hours on work outside of contact time every day during a typical year. I would expect this to increase this year, not decrease, meaning doing a split day with two groups would lead to me working 12 hour days.

The children in the later group, as suggested, could be spending the best part of two hours at school when it is dark outside. Not exactly ideal or safe when it comes to home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But you are well able to dismiss any suggestions made all the same .

• Advertisement

Because Childrens welfare isnt your job or because you're not part of the school team?

But you are well able to dismiss any suggestions made all the same .

Not dismiss, point out the blatantly obvious flaws in them based on my personal experience of how schools actually work.

Have you relevant experience in a school setting that you can apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

So just show up on the first day back and just teach then. No point doing anything else.

Because Childrens welfare isnt your job or because you're not part of the school team?

All part of the service. It's why I can say that marquee purchasing isn't a sustainable or viable solution.

You are probably right not enough time for a deep clean but probably enough time to clean common areas but there should be enough room to socially distance and then deep clean when the kids go home.

My workload has increased by 3 or 4 times what I normally have to do. It's not ideal and I am just hoping it will be short term but we have all had to be flexible and work harder to keep things going over since March. Every one has to be more flexible to help the country get back on its feet.

Not dismiss, point out the blatantly obvious flaws in them based on my personal experience of how schools actually work.

Have you relevant experience in a school setting that you can apply?

No I dont . Is that a reason why people can’t make suggestions or have an opinion ? Or can only teachers have opinions on this thread ?
    Are you very stressed about going back ? Your posts show a lot of stress in my opinion

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

So just show up on the first day back and just teach then. No point doing anything else.

You obviously don't pay much attention then when I discussed how I was in school last week trying to set up room up.

No I dont . Is that a reason why people can’t make suggestions or have an opinion ? Or can only teachers have opinions on this thread ?

Of course but don't get annoyed when people with actual experience can point out what won't work in a physical building or fit in with how schools function. We all have a part to play.

Of course but don't get annoyed when people with actual experience can point out what won't work in a physical building or fit in with how schools function. We all have a part to play.

Indeed you do all have a part to play . My post was in reply to your “ I just teach “

• Advertisement

All part of the service. It's why I can say that marquee purchasing isn't a sustainable or viable solution.

So it's not your job, but it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement