Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's interesting though how NASA asked the crown guards to be added as the pushers kept bending in testing.. they must have been using them for something
    True, it was the tester a Mr Reagan IIRC that suggested that. Again IIRC NASA suggested other improvements like a 24 hour bezel and more lume, but that never happened in the end.

The Speedy took a helluva lot of abuse through the testing and came out of it still ticking and that's impressive. Rolex flunked out early, which can upset some of their faithful, followed by Wittnauer and Bulova. Bulova desperately wanted to be included, though they already made up the bulk of timepieces in spacecraft and on the ground(accutrons of various kinds) and even took complaints to congress because NASA were using a non American watch. And in the end did "smuggle" one aboard.... And of course the huge Speedy association with human space flight.

They're a fantastic watch. When people have asked me my opinion on what "good watch" to buy for life kinda thing the Speedy is right at the top along with a steel sports Rolex. I would just contend that if NASA saw such an instrument as that important they'd have likely come up with a better design for the EVA environment. Inside the craft any stopwatch would have worked in those times when they were out of contact with Earth on the back side of the Moon. .

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I always found it ironic that the unofficial moon watch was also Swiss!
    As desperately as Bulova lobbied for an 'American' watch to be used, Dave Scott's personal timepiece was actually powered by a Universal Geneve movement.

It appeared, almost unaltered, in catalogues.

Lovely piece, mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I always found it ironic that the unofficial moon watch was also Swiss!
    I seem to recall to get around that they got Omega to ship the watches unassembled to the US and that way make them "American assembled". That was long in play with Swiss makers and the US though. For example precious metal cases were "Made in America" by outfits like Wadsworth and Apex as tariffs on metals were so high, so the Swiss would mostly ship movements. Vacheron Constantin and Jaeger LeCoultre got in bed with Longines to bring out LeCoultre watches. Longines in the US assembled the watches from movements from themselves and the others into US cases to get around the tariffs.

One thing you'll note if you look at US adverts and catalogues from say pre 1960 is the lack of marques you'd expect to see today. Rolex the most obvious one. They were almost unknown outside of Britain and her commonwealth markets. It was James Bond, the growth of sport diving and a massive ad campaign in US magazines and the like from the late 60's on that changed that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

My PO... love this watch,

521912.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

That photo does the watch justice..wearwell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

My new AP RO Chronograph. The blue RO Dual Time was sold last night, but this ticks the boxes for me too. It's sportier than the Dual Time so it's a bit more suitable for daily wear, and i'm only 33 so it probably suits me a bit better in that sense. It is a bit more ostentatious but once i get it on a rubber strap it should tone it down nicely.

117109349-3434578796565707-5255849772480972277-n.jpg

This is what it'll look like on the rubber strap..

Audemars+Piguet+Royal+Oak+Chronograph+Rose+Gold+Wala+Action.jpg?format=600w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Humm.

/Ponders...

Looks at another angle.

Yeah, no. That's not toned it down at all.

Stunning watch mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@Time, absolutely stunning piece!
    Seriously.

All the serious watch guys in here have a really lovely combination of taste, knowledge and a touch of eclecticism that I find always interesting.

From vintage trench watches, through to Pateks and AP's!

It's so much more interesting than rinse and repeat Rollies!

Also @ FlubberJones, lovely watch and a really lovely photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Very nice. Not for me personally as not a big AP fan (bar the standard boring blue SS one that everyone likes) but that is striking.

Well wear. Watchfinder? Did you trade in the batgirl?

banie01 wrote: »
    Seriously.

All the serious watch guys in here have a really lovely combination of taste, knowledge and a touch of eclecticism that I find always interesting.

Couldn't agree more, this is a great little forum, i've learned so much from the regular posters here, including yourself.
    893bet wrote: »
    Very nice. Not for me personally as not a big AP fan (bar the standard boring blue SS one that everyone likes) but that is striking.

Well wear. Watchfinder? Did you trade in the batgirl?

Still have it, but these two are all i have now of note. Considering i've just spent north of 30k in the past week on watches it'll stay that way too for the foreseeable future.

I'm not even sure where i'd go from this, an aquanaut or a nautilus maybe?

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, this is a great little forum, i've learned so much from the regular posters here, including yourself.

Still have it, but these two are all i have now of note. Considering i've just spent north of 30k in the past week on watches it'll stay that way too for the foreseeable future.

I'm not even sure where i'd go from this, an aquanaut or a nautilus maybe?

They are a nice pair! Stick up a collection shot in the SOTC thread.

An Aqua or Nautilus (assuming you meaning the standard 3 hander stainless steels) are at best a size step that will cost stupid money. And if its a more complicated Aqua or Nautilus then you are into 50K+........I dont see value in the Aqua or Nautilus range at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Congrats Time; that's a proper F you watch! :-P Won't be beaten on this forum! I like that you had the balls to get a Gold one too, they might not be what is most fashionable the last few years but I love them. If you're going to get a Holy Trinity watch, you may as well go the full shebang. Will you be nervous wearing something so valuable?

Did you buy from watchfinder? I am eyeing a few pieces from there at the minute.

Seriously.
    Yes it bloody is too. :) A client of mine has one, or very similar. I think his dial is blue? They're a stunning looking watch in photos and the flesh. A fair few watches are nicer in one or the other, few enough in both. No mistaking them at all. And in a good way. This particular client isn't a Watch Guy(tm), he just fell in love with it and a special anniversary was coming up so... I've started to get him more interested and it turns out he has eclectic tastes out of the box. Though his better three quarters has suggested my longevity may be cut short if I turn him. :D

I'm at times finding a hankering these days for gold watches. Too long overlooked in my humble. Speaking of gold, well as a layer anyway :o and a "touch of eclecticism" you noted(or just touched in my case... :D ) I'm wearing this today.

522020.jpg

My NOS Bulova Accuquartz centenary from 1975. Accu is right. Damned thing runs about 15 seconds a year slow. :eek: I've the stainless steel version too. Cos me... Rare enough these days. Usually go for around the 3-500 mark, if they come up. I snaffled that one above for just under 30 quid. Cos me. Again. Cheap bastid that I am. :o:D

+1000 I've noticed down the years that forums tend to drift towards one brand or another and that's cool, but it can get a bit samey too. That's why I've always liked the Military Watch forum. 1) because it's much less about a particular brand and more about the style and 2) because when they have a "what you wearing" thread some of the very much non Mil stuff that can come up is always interesting.
    Aye, that it is on both counts. Fantastic pic of a fantastic watch.

redlead wrote: »
    Will you be nervous wearing something so valuable?

Probably not in Ireland, most people here won't have a clue what it is. If i went on a night out and was going to have a good bit to drink i'll probably wear the BLNR or my apple watch instead.
    Did you buy from watchfinder? I am eyeing a few pieces from there at the minute.

No i got it from luxe watches in London, watchfinder are too expensive and their selection was mostly RO Offshores which aren't for me. What pieces are you eyeing up? i've looked through so much inventory the past week i might have seen something you're eyeing.

Thats a very unusual case shape Wibbs, its lovely!

Probably not in Ireland, most people here won't have a clue what it is. If i went on a night out and was going to have a good bit to drink i'll probably wear the BLNR or my apple watch instead.

No i got it from luxe watches in London, watchfinder are too expensive and their selection was mostly RO Offshores which aren't for me. What pieces are you eyeing up? i've looked through so much inventory the past week i might have seen something you're eyeing.

Mostly ALS, jaeger ultra thin. Curious as to how much negotiation room they have especially in non “hot” pieces.

Reluctant to deal with the one of the london greys in my head for some reason. Guardian of time have a good ALS selection available new!

Realistically could prob get the watch I want new from them for the second hand price from WF. Won’t be buying till next year either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My new AP RO Chronograph. The blue RO Dual Time was sold last night, but this ticks the boxes for me too. It's sportier than the Dual Time so it's a bit more suitable for daily wear, and i'm only 33 so it probably suits me a bit better in that sense. It is a bit more ostentatious but once i get it on a rubber strap it should tone it down nicely.
    That's just quality, enjoy it. Both straps look well but I'm not a massive fan of rubber on high class watches. But nice to have the option. Leather looks great on the gold. I don't like too much gold, gold bracelet and watch doesn't look great imho, but that leather on that case looks great. Definitely think you made the right choice, amazing looking watch. And we want to see more pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Wibbs wrote: »

+1000 I've noticed down the years that forums tend to drift towards one brand or another and that's cool, but it can get a bit samey too. That's why I've always liked the Military Watch forum. 1) because it's much less about a particular brand and more about the style and 2) because when they have a "what you wearing" thread some of the very much non Mil stuff that can come up is always interesting.

This is the only place I read about watches to be honest but I did join a FB group after Thirdfox mentioned it with regards to advertising the Solas, or a suggestion that someone here might post a link to the KS in the FB group. Anyway, after a few days I was completely turned off the group. It seemed like unless you were spending 10k+ there was no point in speaking or posting a pic. There were plenty of laughs at the expense of Tag and Omega.

This forum we have lads firing up €50 watches, and while they might not be to everyones taste, as with any watch from €50-€50k, there's no one taking the pîss over it. I know nothing about watches and I've a very small and relatively inexpensive collection, but I enjoy them and I'm glad I can come here and have a chat about them with others who are like minded and also those that are far more experienced, with much higher value collections, all in the same thread :)

Mostly ALS, jaeger ultra thin. Curious as to how much negotiation room they have especially in non “hot” pieces.

Reluctant to deal with the one of the london greys in my head for some reason. Guardian of time have a good ALS selection available new!

Realistically could prob get the watch I want new from them for the second hand price from WF. Won’t be buying till next year either way.

Some dodgy outfits alright (hatton garden anyone?) but i have to say i was very impressed with luxe, and also watches of wales in Cardiff who i ended up not buying from.

ALS in Vendome Paris have amazing service, and i was only there browsing but i've no idea what they'd do on price, discount wise i got 8% on the AP which was a decent amount in € terms.

For the ultra thin i'd go through Heathrow. Order it in advance and you'll save a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've bought a couple of Omegas from Watchfinder and was able to negotiate on both, they're definitely open to offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Watchfinder prices seem to be gone absolutely bonkers over the last six months. I don't know if they want to hold onto stock and ride out covid or what game they are playing but they seem to have gone from having a reasonable premium over your average dealer to taking the mick in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Seriously.

Thanks very much, I have two other straps that I use, a brown leather and a blue alligator, I should put a couple of pics up with the straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Following on from the G Shock thread, and thanks to Ryath’s bargain hunting skills, I’m ready for anything now.

522081.jpeg

My new AP RO Chronograph.

Wow - what a watch. Congrats. Great choice to put it on the rubber too.

Those watchcharts infographics make certain Rolex look quite tempting.

If I was doing a sea to sky chart, I'd probably have added a 4th watch tho!
    A skydweller just to show how niche some of their stuff can be!

117157114_961765374302840_1091833240370678581_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=2d5d41&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=28jcIHEo5aEAX8c8GUc&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=3&oh=aa2811b40c2f5bee19ab0e12c33932e0&oe=5F4FEE4D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JC for USD12.5k? I don't think so. It's above RRP, same as most other steel sports. There's one coming up for sale in Ireland with an asking price of EUR15k

unkel wrote: »
    JC for USD12.5k? I don't think so. It's above RRP, same as most other steel sports. There's one coming up for sale in Ireland with an asking price of EUR15k

Yep, they are claiming that as a selling average on their platform.
    I think they're a little optimistic but retail prices stateside are lower and tbh.
    Looking at the jobs charts and the nixing of the additional federal employment relief I can see a lot of aspirational watches and jewellery hitting the market on that side of the pond in a panic sell over the coming months.

The US setup of ownership and purchase being very credit dominated will IMO see plenty of assets liquidated in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can see a lot of aspirational watches and jewellery hitting the market on that side of the pond in a panic sell over the coming months.

That's what I reckoned might hit us almost 5 months ago (!) when COVID-19 struck here. Looks like it hasn't happened. Stock markets (worldwide) have recovered a considerable chunk of the COVID losses. But maybe it is still to hit us all with a vengeance...

Personally I have zero appetite for buying a second hand watch at above the RRP of a brand new one anyway :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That's what I reckoned might hit us almost 5 months ago (!) when COVID-19 struck here. Looks like it hasn't happened. Stock markets (worldwide) have recovered a considerable chunk of the COVID losses. But maybe it is still to hit.

Personally I have zero appetite for buying a second hand watch, any watch, at above RRP of a brand new one anyway :D

Here and in Europe in general we have been fairly well insulated against the initial economic shock of Covid so far.

The UK and Ireland in particular were fairly proactive in ensuring a good degree of income protection across the board for a large bulk of people.

The economic tradition on this side of the pond is far more equitable in regards social welfare than stateside.

When the forbearance measures over there are withdrawn and medical debt starts to bite, there's going to be a far greater asset crunch there than we will experience.

I would hope that the US government can reach an accommodation and allow a continuation of a decent level of support for their under and unemployed.

I have no compunction about a 2nd hand watch if it's one I want, I'd be far more wary of taking advantage of someone's life hitting the skids and getting a firesale bargain.
    That would bother me tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement