Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

aidankkk wrote: »
    Some value at under €500 in the sale. Apparently display model, not a mark on it.

Delighted with my Fleiger as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm sadder and sadder that I didn't buy during the sale.
    On the bright side, not buying a watch means my wife can't use that as an excuse for killing me I suppose.

Well wear to all who snagged themselves any of the bargains tho!

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm sadder and sadder that I didn't buy during the sale.
    On the bright side, not buying a watch means my wife can't use that as an excuse for killing me I suppose.

Well wear to all who snagged themselves any of the bargains tho!

True... my Fleiger is still mostly in hiding... She has seen my speedmaster as i wear it all the time... i don't think she realises the value or i would be dead....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Two I own and one on its way in the post.

Daniel Wellington (my watch repair guy hates it for some reason, but I love the design 😄)

521645.jpeg

Casio CA-53W calculator

521646.jpeg

SKMEI L1103

521647.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

What is in the female mind that our wives don't understand our need for many watches? Mine noticed a watch on me that she thought was new and asked me about it. Was I glad I had inscribed our wedding date on it.. lol..if I was thinking properly I would have bought another straight away because I think she wouldn't ask again!!!!

• Advertisement

Daniel Wellington do get a lot of bashing among so called watch enthusiast's... Apparently they use cheap parts and quality is low but they charge a lot for them

Whatever about a watch guy "hating" DW's...
    AFAIK they have only been on the go for 9yrs, how many times has your poor watch guy had to have a simple 3 hander and date apart?

That he has grown to hate it! :o

Yes, Daniel Wellington sounds like the Beats headphones of the watch world. Maybe he's sick of repairing them, but more work his way at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

banie01 wrote: »
    Whatever about a watch guy "hating" DW's...
    AFAIK they have only been on the go for 9yrs, how many times has your poor watch guy had to have a simple 3 hander and date apart?

That he has grown to hate it! :o

2 hander, they don't have a second hand. My mate got a fake one, he could never tell if it stopped working :pac:

Ever time he checked the time he had to confirm with his phone

Cienciano wrote: »
    2 hander, they don't have a second hand. My mate got a fake one, he could never tell if it stopped working :pac:

:pac: sweet Jesus!

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

I have to so that with the date. I can never remember if the end of the month changed correctly.

I do compare the time in the morning regardless of the second hand. The reliability of the phone is hard to overlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Having spent too much money on 'fashion watches' over the years, I recognise Daniel Wellington/Christopher Ward for what they are. They're not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Birneybau wrote: »
    Having spent too much money on 'fashion watches' over the years, I recognise Daniel Wellington/Christopher Ward for what they are. They're not for me.

Agree with you on that . The prices seem to average €100 plus which will buy a nice auto Seiko or citizen or very nice quartz from the same brands .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

scwazrh wrote: »
    Agree with you on that . The prices seem to average €100 plus which will buy a nice auto Seiko or citizen or very nice quartz from the same brands .

Congrats on the Speedmaster dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Birneybau wrote: »
    Congrats on the Speedmaster dude.

Cheers, trying yours on really made my mind up for me . Definitely don’t agree with the forum attitude of its not a keeper, I’m very impressed with it .

scwazrh wrote: »
    Cheers, trying yours on really made my mind up for me . Definitely don’t agree with the forum attitude of its not a keeper, I’m very impressed with it .

Same it's my favorite watch out of what I own at the moment..it's hard to describe... Looking through the hesalite at different angles just makes me imagine looking out into space...maybe to much wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Looking through the hesalite at different angles just makes me imagine looking out into space..

Meanwhile at the Omega marketing dept.....

Only joking, its a class watch alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Seiko Saturday.

My humble Seiko quartz chronograph.
    521756.JPG

redlead wrote: »
    Meanwhile at the Omega marketing dept.....

Only joking, its a class watch alright.

I do wonder in an astronaut suit how you'd wind it :)

Nowadays...
    Why one would 3D print a long shafted winding key that fits easily over the crown :P

Back then?
    A beautifully machine turned example of the same?

Or just wear one of those sexy skin tight space suits ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Maybe, just maybe, they could wind it before putting the suit on?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, they could wind it before putting the suit on?

True dat... Crown guards probably make a winding tool tricky..I've got used to rolling the underside of the crown on my finger...does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

What watch did the astronauts wear on the Capricorn One flight? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Well, if it's Seiko Saturday here's my PMMM.

IMG-20200801-130837165-HDR.jpg

It's my beater watch, Stargate case, sea urchin hands, yobokies bezel and sapphire and a marine master dial.

Don't like the bezel, keep meaning to get a sumo one (direct swap) but funds keep getting diverted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or use it at all, beyond viewing the time. Operating the pushers in a pressure suit would be very difficult, if not impossible. They were much more an "indoors" watch on that score. If they had decided a watch was a real requirement for spaceflight they'd have almost certainly built one to thier specification , either in house or contracted out to a US company. Probably something along the lines of a 1930's bombardier timing watch with big crown and pushers

fac06b87dc8e01d1413d2a83b7f10bdb.jpg

It wasn't seen as a particular need, hence them buying a few chronographs from a local shop and testing which one was the best of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

First ever watch post for Seiko Saturday :)

My girlfriend (now wife) bought me this watch in 2000 for my PhD graduation. I wore it for 6 years and then when I got a Tag I took it off and forgot all about it. During the lockdown I found it in the back of a cupboard, stuck in a new battery and after 14 years of being unloved and unused it has not missed a beat since. Loving it again.

521780.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Just epoxyed the bezel insert into this Zodiac Sea Dragon ZO3006.
    Ronda quartz in it, parts of it are well built, nice dragon on the back. Not a diver though.

521786.jpg
    521787.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

griffin100 wrote: »
    First ever watch post for Seiko Saturday :)

My girlfriend (now wife) bought me this watch in 2000 for my PhD graduation. I wore it for 6 years and then when I got a Tag I took it off and forgot all about it. During the lockdown I found it in the back of a cupboard, stuck in a new battery and after 14 years of being unloved and unused it has not missed a beat since. Loving it again.

That is ace, the best of that series I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

My first time posting in Seiko Saturday or Sunday!!! Ska719p kinetic. Have it just over 2 years. Worn in rotation.

521791.jpg

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or use it at all, beyond viewing the time. Operating the pushers in a pressure suit would be very difficult, if not impossible. They were much more an "indoors" watch on that score. If they had decided a watch was a real requirement for spaceflight they'd have almost certainly built one to thier specification , either in house or contracted out to a US company. Probably something along the lines of a 1930's bombardier timing watch with big crown and pushers

It wasn't seen as a particular need, hence them buying a few chronographs from a local shop and testing which one was the best of it.

It's interesting though how NASA asked the crown guards to be added as the pushers kept bending in testing.. they must have been using them for something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement