Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I think you're buying into the melancholy a bit too much on this thread! Or else you slept through all the nice weather!!!

It was actually a very dry month up until the 27th of July. We were running at less than half the mean to that point.

Then we got 18mm on the 27th, 26mm on the 29th and 13mm yesterday to totally skew the rainfall total for the month and give a very distorted picture of the weather we had.

Very similar to some of the months we had during the lockdown when we had long dry periods and then some very wet days.

Overall, July wasn't bad at all and relative to the rest of the country we got away with murder.

Aye but the first day of July was wet, and the last day of July was wet is what I meant :p

Sunny start to August in cork city, some clouds around and the ground is damp from overnight rain but take any piece of sun you can get!

Aye but the first day of July was wet, and the last day of July was wet is what I meant :p

We got less than 1mm from a shower on July 1 and that shower last night was gone in minutes. My wife was in Douglas and they didn't get anything.

Sunny start to August in cork city, some clouds around and the ground is damp from overnight rain but take any piece of sun you can get!

We didn't get overnight rain. A shower late yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This morning's ECM going for another 'heat spike' towards the end of next week:

00aGcNy.png

Focus seems primarily on the UK again but who knows, maybe we'll get a scrape closer the time. Either way, looks potentially more thundery for both the UK and us than yesterday's one which might be more of an interest (if this does come to pass)

New Moon

• Advertisement

We didn't get overnight rain. A shower late yesterday evening.

We most definitely did, I was awake watching it. Must have been very localised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Showery cool rubbish start to August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Pretty much back as we were for first day in August here at Fanad Donegal.
    Cool cloudy day with showers of rain in between.

Quite often we get a decent spell of weather when the kids go back to school after a drab August.
    So here is hoping we get a decent spell a bit earlier this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Walked to shop. 1k. There was 5 showers. And the main showers havent arrived yet. Bar a few hours on Monday it will rain until next Thursday with showers or rain.

Still less than 1mm for August but wait until Tuesday evening I'd say 40mm by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes but the beauty of Nice in winter is you just drive for an hour and you are in the alps skiing. It’s a superb spot. I have been to Poland twice for New Years and Christmas markets in krakow and both times there was zero snow and it was like +8 degrees. I thought it would be much colder but never saw a snow flake either trip, just rain.
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'd be more comfortable in an eastern European environment as they tend to get what we might call 'seasons'. Anywhere between Vienna and Moscow (or beyond) would be ideal and where passing cold fronts in the summer, for example, regularly bring weather like this. (approaching storm in southern Belarus in 2012)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another dry and quite warm day in Dublin. Last week or two been out a lot for walks etc and much more pleasant. Yesterday was beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

dull again here today. It’s not cold certainly it’s 19 degrees but Jesus you’d like some blue skies and sunshine. Showers not far away either. It’s uninspiring insipid weather so so disappointed with this summer. Usually we’d get some sort of decent week but nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yes but the beauty of Nice in winter is you just drive for an hour and you are in the alps skiing. It’s a superb spot. I have been to Poland twice for New Years and Christmas markets in krakow and both times there was zero snow and it was like +8 degrees. I thought it would be much colder but never saw a snow flake either trip, just rain.

Nice would definitely be high on the list for me, great weather year round, extreme winters up the road and if you fancy a bit of weekend storm chasing it's just a short drive from the most thundery place in Europe in the plains of Northern Italy. Not to mention it's a stunningly beautiful part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Alan from Carlow weather said Tuesday is to be full of down pours and no real heat on the horizon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well rain has arrived here.

Today was better than I expected here in NCD in the sense that it stayed dry + not cold.

Still very little sunshine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Dull, grey and on off rain all day in East Galway. Torrential downpours now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rain hasn't arrived so far in Naas. Nice day in fairness, rain due though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met eireann still saying showers yet most of the country is under a band of rain. Its not often i give out about met eireann but their forecasts are often way off the mark lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely day Wicklow hills. Cool at intervals. Warm other intervals. Still dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Absolutely wissing in swords now.

Was a fine day till now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met eireann still saying showers yet most of the country is under a band of rain. Its not often i give out about met eireann but their forecasts are often way off the mark lately.

Looking at the radar I could not believe what they said that is one big band of rain certainly not showers, as a matter of interest the Air Corps Air Ambulance is flying through it from Co Longford to UHG Galway great service

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Does anyone think theres a chance of things to improve by next week end?

Seems to have gone off here but posts daily on her blog.

does anyone know the name of her blog? I loved her posts here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall is so light here as to not even be able to register a rain rate over the last few hours, which is in keeping with the Summer 2020 trend so far. A half decent shower would be far preferable to this endless sludge.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If it clears up a bit later on, have a look for moon near Jupiter. It's not quite a full moon but will look almost full.

I think the summer has been roughly what I was expecting although July a bit on the cooler side especially first half.

Not that far from normal in most ways, but a bias towards more cloud and rain recently after quite a dry start in some places.

August may be just a bit warmer than average although that trend may fade quickly enough to leave the result very close to normal.

We were having a cool, wet summer, then suddenly it turned hot and dry about a week ago. That trend seems to be locked in for a while, with a slow drift back to more normal conditions (although normally it is rather hot and dry here in August anyway). We have had five days now of 35-37 C heat, with the average closer to 25 for the rest of the month of July before that, and June slightly below normal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rainfall is so light here as to not even be able to register a rain rate over the last few hours, which is in keeping with the Summer 2020 trend so far. A half decent shower would be far preferable to this endless sludge.

Geez - we're not too far away and there's been some quite heavy bursts thundering on the roof here.

Looking at the radar we seem to be under a heavy steamer stretching back to Kinvarra. Big fat drops falling straight down so sounds heavier. Current rate about 3-4mm/hr.

Edit: proper heavy now 4mm in the last 15 mins! Please make it stop... :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Does anyone think theres a chance of things to improve by next week end?

There is a chance we may see slightly warmer and dryer conditions by next weekend but it is far from nailed down for us. It could be another situation like yesterday where Ireland misses out and the UK sizzles but we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

does anyone know the name of her blog? I loved her posts here

Are talking about that lady who is on an offshore island, I miss her on here. Can’t remember what her blog is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Absolutely pissing in Athlone right now. Torrential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

After the dullest June since 1993 at Dublin Apt, July with 102.5 hrs was the third dullest July on record and dullest since 1986. August would need at least 139.0 hrs of sun to save it from being the dullest summer on record.

February this year, despite all the rain and shorter daylight, had slightly more sun than July with 103.3 hrs.

From the figures I have available, Cork seemed to fare best with 161.8 hrs provisionally which is close to average, though Johnstown Castle might have had more.

Monthly summary be available around Tuesday or Wednesday in anyway to confirm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement