Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Can someone settle an argument for me please.

Can the go safe vans get you for speeding if parked up but the side door (sliding door) is open but all other doors are closed?

I’m saying yes but my work colleague is saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can the go safe vans get you for speeding if parked up but the side door (sliding door) is open but all other doors are closed?

The door must be closed. They have a darkroom in the van for developing the film and they need perfect darkness...

;)

On a serious note, the position of the side door has no bearing on the operation of the van. Some operators leave it open to get some air.

However, if the door is open because the operator is hopping in and out of the van getting set up, then the camera isn't operating and hence you won't be snapped.

In short, it depends on why it is open, not if it is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

If the van was in Northern Louth with the door open it might be to prevent fires.

https://www.herald.ie/news/new-speed-camera-van-is-set-on-fire-with-driver-still-inside-27967594.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

I may have got caight by a speed van this morning. My problem is i moved and didnt update my log book. I have no access to the old address. Does anyone know if i update my logbook and send it off early next week could i stop the points going to the old address. As obviously i'd prefer to have it sorted instead of worrying about summons etc. I know i"m completely in the wrong on both counts of going 55 in a 50 and of not updating the logbook. I did update the address when buying road tax online but it probably is the log book address they use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The_Kitty wrote: »
    I may have got caight by a speed van this morning. My problem is i moved and didnt update my log book. I have no access to the old address. Does anyone know if i update my logbook and send it off early next week could i stop the points going to the old address. As obviously i'd prefer to have it sorted instead of worrying about summons etc. I know i"m completely in the wrong on both counts of going 55 in a 50 and of not updating the logbook.

If you've since paid for motor tax online and updated the address then that's what they'll use.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If you've since paid for motor tax online and updated the address then that's what they'll use.

That's a relief that i'll get the letter and not have it turn into a bigger drama with summons, thank you. I will send off the log book next week too for change of address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

This has probably been answered before but what is the range of a speed camera if they are positioned around a bend? Can they get you in range before you come around the bend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No, need to have line of sight of the car and the road for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tandey

mikeecho wrote: »
    Just to put the range of these speed vans to bed.
    Have a look at this video.
    At 48seconds you can see the Infra Red flash from the roof of the van.
    That's how close you have to be before your speed/pic

Is this still the case? Do they not have any new software since?

I thought they can take a video but it’s just a picture captured?

• Advertisement

Tandey wrote: »

Not really sure what you are asking, but yes, exact the same tech. It's not broken or outdated, so no need to fix it.

I think what Tandey is trying to point out is, the van in the video had a sort of periscope over the back door, the vans don't have that anymore so something must have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tandey

ironclaw wrote: »
    Not really sure what you are asking, but yes, exact the same tech. It's not broken or outdated, so no need to fix it.

I ask because I passed one the other night and it had that thing over the back door on the roof, was an orange kind of light which I could see was on once I spotted it about 400m away but once I got within 50 metres of it the light went out.
    Didn’t see a flash as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

flazio wrote: »
    I think what Tandey is trying to point out is, the van in the video had a sort of periscope over the back door, the vans don't have that anymore so something must have changed.

They upgraded to a dual radar system.
    It's better able to disguise between multiple cars in the picture at the same time.

It's actually an impressive system.

Long story short.. it still has the same short range.. as all radar based camera systems have.

Edit:
    The periscope on the roof was the housing for IR (infra red) flash, this has been replaced by a unit that looks like s CCTV camera, which is still the IR flash unit.

The 'periscope' unit wasn't as weather/water tight as would have been liked, and was prone to damage when being power washed.

(A car wash that had the contract for washing the GoSafe vans were warned of the potential of a electrical shock if they power washed the old IR unit)

I was told this by the owner of the car wash , whom I am a very close friend of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I ask because I passed one the other night and it had that thing over the back door on the roof, was an orange kind of light which I could see was on once I spotted it about 400m away but once I got within 50 metres of it the light went out.
    Didn’t see a flash as such.

That's a orange LED light they put on when setting up as they have to be outside the van to measure and calibrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oonaghmc

Just curious, where did you get the information that Gosafe vans aren't recording while in motion?

oonaghmc wrote: »
    Just curious, where did you get the information that Gosafe vans aren't recording while in motion?

They need to be calibrated while stationary prior to any recording:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/judge-adjourns-all-cases-on-speed-van-summonses-in-his-area-1.1748014

They cannot record/capture whilst in motion. You can see posts here by myself and others that attest to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

oonaghmc wrote: »

Their CCTV may well record but there is no van here equipped to do so while in motion to do what you ask....

Very few Garda vehicles are equipped with this technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DGBC

Can a GoSafe Van located in an 80kph zone monitor and record vehicles travelling in a 50kph zone?

DGBC wrote: »
    Can a GoSafe Van located in an 80kph zone monitor and record vehicles travelling in a 50kph zone?

GoSafe vans are not a predator drone :) They are only monitoring what is right under their nose, about 50 to 100m from the rear doors, often far less.

It would be unusual for a van to be in a position where it would say monitoring a 50km/h zone while sitting in the 80km/h zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Has anybody else noticed a marked decrease in the number of vans on the road in the last week or two?

Has anybody else noticed a marked decrease in the number of vans on the road in the last week or two?

Less traffic means fewer tickets.

The cynic in me would suggest it's deliberate as it would skew the time versus cost versus tickets rates metrics. GoSafe is fixed contract so there is no incentive to save money as they have already been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ironclaw wrote: »
    Less traffic means fewer tickets.

The cynic in me would suggest it's deliberate as it would skew the time versus cost versus tickets rates metrics. GoSafe is fixed contract so there is no incentive to save money as they have already been paid.

Their location and times are set by AGS.

Maybe less of them are being seen, because of the additional locations, and the same amount of vans.

They are more thinly spread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭billgibney

Are gosafe considered an essential service?
    Saw them on n3 Blanchardstown today

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

billgibney wrote: »
    Are gosafe considered an essential service?
    Saw them on n3 Blanchardstown today
    They help encourage drivers to slow down so if and when there is an incident it will hopefully require less resources from the emergency services and medical system.
    However the lighter traffic seems to have given some drivers a green light to speed so yes I think the vans are essential at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭billgibney

They help encourage drivers to slow down so if and when there is an incident it will hopefully require less resources from the emergency services and medical system.
    However the lighter traffic seems to have given some drivers a green light to speed so yes I think the vans are essential at this time.

They aren't mentioned anywhere in the governments list, therefore they shouldn't be out on the roads.

The Gardaí have enough things to be doing without having to attend an accident where some idiot decides to see what their Audi can do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

billgibney wrote: »
    They aren't mentioned anywhere in the governments list, therefore they shouldn't be out on the roads.
    They operate on behalf of the gardai. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Given the spoiled child mentality of many drivers who think a situation like this entitles them to drive like they're in a Mad Max movie, speed vans are definitely needed out on the roads now more than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

flazio wrote: »
    The Gardaí have enough things to be doing without having to attend an accident where some idiot decides to see what their Audi can do.

speed cameras collect cash : they have nothing to do with accident's.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement