Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

froog wrote: »
    the green list is the dumbest idea i've seen yet.

"hey guys you really shouldn't travel but if you do, go to these places, they're great!"

That's not what the green list means.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,761 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Just half heard something on the news on an Irish radio station there

"Something something has increased 55% and is thought to be a worrying trend in Ireland"

Can anyone fill in the gaps?

Fear of tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Arghus wrote: »
    Yes, it'll be two weeks at their own expense, but it is still their decision. Holidays are not essential travel.

And they always have the option to holiday at home.

It's disingenuous to say that it is their decision if their 'public' employer is taking money from them for going.

As for holidaying at home; I did that last year and had to have a second holiday abroad as I was so disappointed with the home one.

Onesea wrote: »

However, also by their own admission, only 1379 deaths without pre-existing conditions - out of a population of 57million!

OMG! How have they managed to hide the deaths of 10 million people? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Someone last night asked about epidemiological reports related to influenza over previous flu seasons. I can't remember who:

Influenza 2018/2019 - Report

Influenza 2017/2018 - Report

Influenza 2016/2017 - Report

Of note, these are the annual reports. Weekly epidemiological reports for each season are archived and finding each one is a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    It's disingenuous to say that it is their decision if their 'public' employer is taking money from them for going.

As for holidaying at home; I did that last year and had to have a second holiday abroad as I was so disappointed with the home one.

The right to travel is in the Irish constitution. I would find it odd if a court would find that the government can penalise someone for exercising a constitutional right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is the employer forcing them to go on Holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

From accros the pond in the uk
    They've retracted their figures from 45k to 29k.

A death rate of 0.0024% by THEIR admission.

We still know that is a lie as their tests are flawed and STILL cannot isolate covid19 from the rest of the Corona family.

However, also by their own admission, only 1379 deaths without pre-existing conditions - out of a population of 57million!

Twice as many people die a year from falling over! Shall we just ban any movement at all?!

That's a death rate of 0.0001%. And we shut the world down.

Even more crazy is the death rate of under 60 with no pre-existing conditions which is 0.000006%

1 person in 41,000 people with no KNOWN underlying conditions has died of covid!

1 person in 138,000 under 60 has died of covid!

And that is even with their flawed tests and rigged results.

We have the whole world bending over to their tyranny when you are:

10 times MORE likely to fall down the stairs

25 times MORE likely to be hit by a car

327 time MORE likely to get food poisoning

You are only 10 times more likely to die from covid than be hit by lightning!

TzBvMh3.gif

Mother of divine Jaysus

5 months in and still these kind of nonsensical posts

I'll sum this up in a way you might (hopefully) understand:
    • Governments love money. They love the money they get from their VAT, the money from their economy being strong, the money from their people out and about spending it
    • Governments worldwide ran the numbers and they saw that, without serious intervention and restrictions, that the end result would be catostrphic
    • Not just to their people, to their hospitals and health systems. But it would also fcuk up their economy if it got seriously out of hand

:rolleyes:

The mortality rate of Covid isn't 0.0001%

cnocbui wrote: »
    The right to travel is in the Irish constitution. I would find it odd if a court would find that the government can penalise someone for exercising a constitutional right.

I think you might be misinterpretating the context for that "right to travel".

Fundamental rights are not absolute - they can be limited or restricted by the Oireachtas for certain reasons, for example, for the common good or public order - Citizens Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is the employer forcing them to go on Holiday?

People have statutory leave which they have to take. Going on a holiday of their choice is not unreasonable.

If they choose to go to a "non green" destination, for non essential travel (not defined) and their work requires attending an office, then it's a public health issue and they will be asked to take leave/unpaid for that period because they can't attend work.

However, if they have been working from home for the last 4 months, with full agreement of employer, and do non essential travel to a non green country, and therefore have to isolate, I can't see any reason for the employer (or the Public Service in this case) to force annual or unpaid leave from them if they can continue to work as normal. That makes no sense and smacks of some political decision rather than public health.

• Advertisement

No one is forcing them to go on a non essential holiday. They are free to chose to do it, but there's consequences to their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No one is forcing them to go on a non essential holiday. They are free to chose to do it, but there's consequences to their decision.

Some "adults" really need to have thier hand held at all times and can't understand they are responsible for any consequences their own decisions have.

One of the more random posts I've seen on Reddit Ireland
    My sister works in the Mater. She said that non European staff are getting disproportionately effected by it.

Apparently Europeans have a higher resistance to it.

Doesn't make sense though as many EU countries, Ireland included, wouldn't have great levels of Vitamin D in their people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Those who choose to travel abroad on HOLIDAYS to whatever zone are just totally self centred now. Wink!

Ireland is gorgeous and has so many undiscovered parts. No need to go to Dingle or Roundstone or Wexford or surfing in Sligo or whatever. Do your research.

Was a tongue in cheek post I hope you understand.

Nevertheless, as I have found out myself over the last few weeks and months there are magical places that are largely hidden from view. That's where we are going, to the hidden heartlands. Can't be arsed with the crowds in the places du jour just to be part of the crowd.

But it seems to me that some always went to the popular places, but now there is competition for places and that is not working well. OMG

Not really.

Can you afford the two weeks without wages or not?

The holiday money is already spent from your balance. You need to decide if you can afford to miss 2 weeks wages.

But some may be willing to sacrifice the two weeks to make use of the money already spent

Doesn't make sense though as many EU countries, Ireland included, wouldn't have great levels of Vitamin D in their people

Sounds like bullshyte to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sounds like bullshyte to be honest.

Think it's been pretty conclusively shown that non caucasians are more likely to suffer disproportionately from this virus than caucasians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

There was one paper linking casual occurence of severity to a gene leftover from neanderthals..

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.html

Only 8% europeans have this gene compared to 63% of Bangladesh. It really is a genetic lottery if true.

froog wrote: »
    the green list is the dumbest idea i've seen yet.

"hey guys you really shouldn't travel but if you do, go to these places, they're great!"

Advice is “don’t travel unless it’s essential. If you do travel you will be required to quarantine for 14 days on returning unless you travel from these 15 counties. The reason you don’t have to quarantine from these countries is the risk of contracting the virus in those countries is as low or lower than here,”

It’s that ****ing simple. I don’t get the confusion

From accros the pond in the uk
    They've retracted their figures from 45k to 29k.

A death rate of 0.0024% by THEIR admission.

We still know that is a lie as their tests are flawed and STILL cannot isolate covid19 from the rest of the Corona family.

Twice as many people die a year from falling over! Shall we just ban any movement at all?!

Even more crazy is the death rate of under 60 with no pre-existing conditions which is 0.000006%

1 person in 41,000 people with no KNOWN underlying conditions has died of covid!

1 person in 138,000 under 60 has died of covid!

And that is even with their flawed tests and rigged results.

We have the whole world bending over to their tyranny when you are:

10 times MORE likely to fall down the stairs

25 times MORE likely to be hit by a car

327 time MORE likely to get food poisoning

You are only 10 times more likely to die from covid than be hit by lightning!

How many people who die from falling over have a pre existing condition? You didn’t exclude them from your numbers

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Think it's been pretty conclusively shown that non caucasians are more likely to suffer disproportionately from this virus than caucasians

Yes, but that seems to be related to socio economic factors and poorer access to healthcare, rather than the virus being inherently more dangerous on a physiological level from group to group.

Irish people absorb more vitamin d through our skin and are more likely to have higher levels of dairy in our diet supplementing our vitamin d. People from Warner climate get their vitamin d almost exclusively from the sun and when they move to less sunny regions do have more issues with vitamin d deficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes, but that seems to be related to socio economic factors and poorer access to healthcare, rather than the virus being inherently more dangerous on a physiological level from group to group.

It has to do with their abilty to get Vitamin D , the sunlight in more northern climates is less intense and Black and Asian people cannot absorb enough sunlight when they live in Northern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭gipi

The public servant rule makes no sense. You have to take 2 weeks leave or unpaid to isolate at home even if you normally work from home? Why stop you working? I'd understand if they had to attend the office obviously.

I'm guessing that the rules must be applied equally to all staff in the PS. Some staff may not be able to work from home, and couldn't be treated differently to those who can.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It has to do with their abilty to get Vitamin D , the sunlight in more northern climates is less intense and Black and Asian people cannot absorb enough sunlight when they live in Northern Europe

Is that proven to have a link to their rates of infection from covid 19?

Here’s a link to an article explaining that rates of infection and worse outcomes tend to be more readily explained by socio economic factors like pre existing poverty, organisation of households or a disproportionate amount of pre-existing conditions amongst BAME communities on account of deprevation:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencefocus.com/news/covid-19-why-are-so-many-bame-patients-dying/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have seen reports on the connection and its being researched . I cannot say if its been proven conclusively but it’s certainly considered a factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Some "adults" really need to have thier hand held at all times and can't understand they are responsible for any consequences their own decisions have.

That statement is both wrong and moronic.

Stheno wrote: »

Yes I believe there's been studies in America that show this in spades

Don’t think there is any conclusive evidence. Blood groups is another avenue of research

• Advertisement

Irish people absorb more vitamin d through our skin and are more likely to have higher levels of dairy in our diet supplementing our vitamin d.

Eh?

The Irish have very low levels of Vitamin D surely? We don't get a single bit of it from the sun for 7 months a year (September to March)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement