Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

acequion wrote: »
    Just where did I claim that this is impossible??

You obviously only read from posts what you want to read.

Of course travel is risky, all travel except your own private car. And all interactions with others are risky. Hence lockdown, hence slow easing of restrictions. But restrictions have to be eased and likewise with foreign travel. Therefore people have the right to know where current cases are coming from. For example, of today's 36 cases, how many were community, travel related, health care worker? They used to provide that information at the start. And at this point I feel they should be more specific about travel related infections especially as they continue the non travel advice.

Symantics. You said you didn't believe there was any cases coming from abroad. I quoted it.

This is going nowhere. You have a point but worded it terribly up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I presume if you travel to any country not on the “green list” and you tie your shoelaces together upon return that will satisfy the arbitrary need to “restrict your movements upon return”.

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I know a fella in the North who was in England last week. He's freely traveling around the Republic now. If you need/want to go somewhere not on the green list, you just have to take a detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I presume if you travel to any country not on the “green list” and you tie your shoelaces together upon return that will satisfy the arbitrary need to “restrict your movements upon return”.

What a joke.

You're only going to be advised to tie your shoelaces together.

As I predicted, there is no difference between travel to a country on or off the list other than having to fill in a form - wow - I think I'll take the extra 5 minute hit there rather than miss my 2-weeks in the sun :):)

Best of luck to the summer student they'll task with phoning me up to check up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Another thought that occurred to me: There are thousands of people who live in Spain and work in Gibraltar, not to mention loads of Gibraltarians who go shopping or go out on the Spanish side. There's a lot of intermingling between people from both sides every single day.

If Spain is deemed unsafe, how can they consider Gibraltar to be safe? Do they actually know what they are talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Also what’s the point in putting a country on the green list unless there are direct flights to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Another thought that occurred to me: There are thousands of people who live in Spain and work in Gibraltar, not to mention loads of Gibraltarians who go shopping or go out on the Spanish side. There's a lot of intermingling between people from both sides every single day.

If Spain is deemed unsafe, how can they consider Gibraltar to be safe? Do they actually know what they are talking about?

Good point... Another example that this list was built up with little or no common sense. The same argument works for San Marino... 30k inhabitants City-state right smack in the middle of the Emilia-Romagna region (currently the region with the highest infection rate in Italy btw). There is no way of traveling to San Marino without landing in Bologna airport, the largest city in Emilia-Romagna

But you could extend the argument to many other countries on the green list: you allow travel to Norway and you allow danish to travel here without isolation... well Norway allows travel to and from Spain, France, Portugal etc. so effectively the people that you meet there and that come here could have been in contact with people you are trying to limit contact with.
    Germany and Netherlands off the list and they have very close levels to Ireland and very pragmatic limitations of not traveling to specific regions where there have been flare ups like catalunya and Galicia rather than a blanket restriction.
    It took them so long to come up with this and have mess it up just to try to do something different than the rest of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

GazzaL wrote: »
    I know a fella in the North who was in England last week. He's freely traveling around the Republic now. If you need/want to go somewhere not on the green list, you just have to take a detour.

The mental gymnastics going on on this thread are beyond belief. People will do anything to justify ignoring the public health advice. Don't worry yourself about how you can circumvent the guidlines or how others are doing so. We're being given advice from public health experts to travel only to countries on the green list, maybe pay some heed to that advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

As I predicted, there is no difference between travel to a country on or off the list other than having to fill in a form - wow - I think I'll take the extra 5 minute hit there rather than miss my 2-weeks in the sun :):)

Best of luck to the summer student they'll task with phoning me up to check up on me.

Justify your holiday to yourself whatever way you want. Theres no ban on travel, never was. We're just being asked to follow guidlines to prevent the spread of a pandemic in our country. But your needs are greater, we've established that. You're even willing to bully students over the phone to prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

https://samchui.com/2020/04/05/12-scariest-airports-in-the-world/#.XxfhyG5Fw2w

Has Ryanair also started flights to Greenland yet?

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    Justify your holiday to yourself whatever way you want. Theres no ban on travel, never was. We're just being asked to follow guidlines to prevent the spread of a pandemic in our country. But your needs are greater, we've established that. You're even willing to bully students over the phone to prove that.

Good finger wag - impressive form, nice tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

How come Denmark isn't on that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wouldnt expect anything else from likes of you and your ilk :)

Remember not to whinge if pubs stay shut now and remember your hols hun! Naturally its not gunna be your fault of course.

Also places like around Naples and Sicily never had many infections.
    In addition, most holidays in Italy are more genteel than the Ibiza uncovered type carry-on that you get in Spain.

You have just done it yourself. Most holidays in Spain aren't Ibiza.

If they offered Ryanair prices to Greenland I would probable go. Little too do there but it's on my list of destinations. Can't justify the cost though

almostover wrote: »
    HIV? You'd have to share used syringe needles or have sex with your co workers to transmit HIV. Not quite an apples with apples comparison. I'm not in any bunker, merely explaining the situation with my employer which I'm glad of during the current pandemic. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

But I could have sex with that person at the Christmas party could I not? Or they could be cut and require medical aid. In my line of work that happens.

And that's the point I'm making. Companies take reasonable on site measures. They don't intrude into private lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

acequion wrote: »
    I'm not even remotely interested in your anecdotal evidence. I want official evidence of tourists or returning Irish people recently entering the country with Covid. Because as many posters will have pointed out if you care to read the thread and think more deeply about this and indeed look around you [ Ballybunion beach thronged this weekend] you might see that holidaying in Ireland is potentially more risky than a quiet vacation somewhere abroad.

Therefore it would be useful to know the source of the daily infections.

I find it bizarre many posters who’ll wag their fingers at people going abroad to low infected areas but will be ok about Dubs touring around Ireland despite Dublins infection figures aren’t very good last few days.

I’d rather a foreign tourist from a low infection country visiting my town than a Dub visiting my town right now.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’d rather a foreign tourist from a low infection country visiting my town than a Dub visiting my town right now.

Agreed, but that's nothing to do with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

All these people on Facebook 'oh ma gawdd the gubberment r so stupid why is Italy on de list'

Em, read the news people.

Italy WAS the epicentre at the start of the European cases. Now they are doing fantastic. There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to travel there.

That's the one positive from the green list, despite its obvious limitations. Shows just how ill-informed the online CLOSE THE BORDERS! brigade are. Perhaps even some of our esteemed medical experts will be checking Wikipedia this morning. When these people expect huge hordes of Italian tourists to arrive but small numbers come with no-doubt impeccable social distancing and mask wearing, and there is zero impact on our infection figures, the government could even become a little more generous...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So if our covid level drops does the green list shrink as a result

I'd like to know are they using below 5 per 100k 14 day average as the measure or simply any country with a lower number than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So if our covid level drops does the green list shrink as a result

I'd like to know are they using below 5 per 100k 14 day average as the measure or simply any country with a lower number than us.

You can be sure it will shrink. However i think we have bottomed out with our infections. If we don’t get a resurgence the figures won’t get any lower and we’ll hover at current figures until the vaccine arrives.

Wallander wrote: »
    That's the one positive from the green list, despite its obvious limitations. Shows just how ill-informed the online CLOSE THE BORDERS! brigade are. Perhaps even some of our esteemed medical experts will be checking Wikipedia this morning. When these people expect huge hordes of Italian tourists to arrive but small numbers come with no-doubt impeccable social distancing and mask wearing, and there is zero impact on our infection figures, the government could even become a little more generous...

It’s positive that Simon coveney this morning on pat kenny made it clear that nothing is going to change re. the restriction of movement requirement, other than the form being electronic, and that the government have not been pressured by those wanting the border closed or a stricter quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

Everyone should make up their own minds. Holiday in Ireland is more expensive this year beecause a pint costs €5 + €9 for food = €14 this year and even Hotel bars are not open which is ridiculous. Therefore, out all day in dodgy weather in overpriced accommodation and bed early, it’s stay in house or fly to sun really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

good to see the helpline for the DFA regarding travel isn't open on a weds morning. :rolleyes:

Can somebody give me a quick answer?
    Is Northern Ireland considered part of the unrestricted travel within Phase 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

paw patrol wrote: »
    good to see the helpline for the DFA regarding travel isn't open on a weds morning. :rolleyes:

Can somebody give me a quick answer?
    Is Northern Ireland considered part of the unrestricted travel within Phase 3?

As of the 29th of June you can travel anywhere on the island of Ireland without restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Portugal has >60 cases per 100,000 people over the past 14 days, Lisbon in particular had >120. Ireland has <5.

Portugal is a big country, blanket banning entire countries is silly. Should go by region, some Irish people going on about France, Spain and Portugal as if they were the size of North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

As of the 29th of June you can travel anywhere on the island of Ireland without restrictions.

I thought this , was hard to find that exact wording.
    Thanks !

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Everyone should make up their own minds. Holiday in Ireland is more expensive this year beecause a pint costs €5 + €9 for food = €14 this year and even Hotel bars are not open which is ridiculous. Therefore, out all day in dodgy weather in overpriced accommodation and bed early, it’s stay in house or fly to sun really.

I've stayed in a couple of hotels in the last couple of weeks and bars have been open in both - no requirement to order food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Portugal is a big country, blanket banning entire countries is silly. Should go by region, some Irish people going on about France, Spain and Portugal as if they were the size of North Kerry.

Same with Germany, 83 million people, yet you’re not “allowed” to travel.
    Berlin for example has almost the same population as Ireland, and lower infection rates.
    Yet you can travel to Italy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've stayed in a couple of hotels in the last couple of weeks and bars have been open in both - no requirement to order food.

The hotels here in Leitrim are only serving drink with food.
    Bars are not open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement