Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That headline on RTE on Varadkars comments regarding the Green list is so disingenuous!!!

Varadkar wants a green list, but one would assume by the headlines that he doesn't. Incredibly poor reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

Typical of rte really.

So if the list gets published and the non essential travel advice stays your then going to have the situation that allows tourists in from these countries but yet we are advised not to leave, just shows the quality of political leaders this country has

Lundstram wrote: »
    Off to the UK in the morning for a few days. Been working non-stop since January, all through lockdown and just need a break away from this place. Work were saying I might have to quarantine for two weeks, I said, grand I'll do that but just make sure I'm paid for those weeks and it doesn't affect my annual leave. They backed down pretty fast then. It's a reccommendation not a requirement.

I'll fill out their form, maybe put Bart Simpson's details on it for all it's worth.

Flights were €24 return and 4 star hotel is €220 for 3 nights. Wouldn't get a day in Ireland for that. Staycation my arse.

Sounds like you work in a sh1thole ........... why you fancy going to a Covid disaster area for a holiday is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is the purpose (although not explicitly stated as such) of the travel advice not as follows.
    Foreign travellers who we would like to come here with their money are to be granted a reprieve from the 14 day isolation. Result is that money comes in to the economy and the politicians have cover by allowing travel from similar countries.

Irish people however are not to be encouraged to go abroad and spend, therefore the "no non essential travel" message remains for us thinking of going away for a break.
    Result is that money here in the country is kept in the country and spent on local tourism.

It's quite clever actually and you have to give credit to our leaders for manoeuvring such a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Irish people however are not to be encouraged to go abroad and spend, therefore the "no non essential travel" message remains for us thinking of going away for a break.
    Result is that money here in the country is kept in the country and spent on local tourism.

Or not spent at all when hotels in the likes of Kinsale & Dingle are charging over €200 per night for dates in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is the purpose (although not explicitly stated as such) of the travel advice not as follows.
    Foreign travellers who we would like to come here with their money are to be granted a reprieve from the 14 day isolation. Result is that money comes in to the economy and the politicians have cover by allowing travel from similar countries.

It's quite clever actually and you have to give credit to our leaders for manoeuvring such a move.

Correct. The only part that you're missing is that the Irish Government have constructed the advice in such a way that it's the people who have holiday's booked who bear the cost of the non-travel, not the insurance industry, the travel operators or the state.

And they are using the ingrained Catholic guilt policed by a ready army of morality police to enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Analysis 6th - 20th July
    14 days
    Cases per 100,000 people

Rep of Ireland 4.86
    UK 13.81
    Spain 25.52 *
    Germany 5.85
    Italy4.67
    France 12.63 **

* Spain includes historical antibody test results as well. Figures can't be correct for true analysis.
    **France includes overseas territories, some of which have high rates still

***France and Spain also produce the same figure for a Saturday and a Sunday and World of Meters have not addressed this issue!

Omitting the weekend duplications
    Spain 20.80 *
    France 11.31**

The French and Spanish figures can't be correct

I understand this is the list they will work off. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That headline on RTE on Varadkars comments regarding the Green list is so disingenuous!!!

Varadkar wants a green list, but one would assume by the headlines that he doesn't. Incredibly poor reporting.

I see there is a lot of confusion on social media too. People think Varadkar has said he wants the green list scrapped and that citizens not be allowed travel anywhere (when he is saying the opposite in fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Strazdas wrote: »
    I see there is a lot of confusion on social media too. People think Varadkar has said he wants the green list scrapped and that citizens not be allowed travel anywhere (when he is saying the opposite in fact).

I just sent a screenshot of the headline to a friend who is fairly well up on current affairs and that's the conclusion he came to as well, pretty shoddy stuff from RTE.

A few weeks in to a rather unique coalition government and the leader of Fine Gael is publicly questioning (correctly in my opinion) the point of government policy around publishing a tiny green list but still advising against travel to these countries. Doesn't bode too well for this government lasting 5 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree with your sentiment but wasn't there a case yesterday in Spain ?
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/breaking-spain-campsite-lockdown-250-22364935

Different region of Spain. Each region has its own president and ability to set laws, particularly in relation to the virus

In that case it was 2 British tourists. Campsite was locked down for 2 days while everyone else tested. No one else was infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Yes your spot on, that's it in a nutshell. It's very underhand and won't be forgotten when the polling stations reopen... Which might not be that far away.

quote="josip;114094697"]Correct. The only part that you're missing is that the Irish Government have constructed the advice in such a way that it's the people who have holiday's booked who bear the cost of the non-travel, not the insurance industry, the travel operators or the state.

And they are using the ingrained Catholic guilt policed by a ready army of morality police to enforce it.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

For the second time this week, RTE is also quoting a doctor saying don't go to a green list country as you may encounter visitors from the US there, when the only EU country to permit flights from the US currently is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Wallander wrote: »
    For the second time this week, RTE is also quoting a doctor saying don't go to a green list country as you may encounter visitors from the US there, when the only EU country to permit flights from the US currently is Ireland.

DR Jack Lambert seems to be the one who is making total sense here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/telling-people-not-to-travel-overseas-on-holiday-is-wrong-headed-1.4297275

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

jonnny68 wrote: »

A beacon of common sense. That man is living in the real world and is an expert in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

A beacon of common sense. That man is living in the real world and is an expert in the field.

yes agree totally, yet the government continue to come out with this drivel about not travelling, if it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

jonnny68 wrote: »
    yes agree totally, yet the government continue to come out with this drivel about not travelling, if it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.

I occasionally meet with TDs as part of my profession and barring a few exceptions, it's truly awful the caliber of people that we elect to legislate on our behalf. Some of them I would not want running a bath, much less a country.

It's fascinating the amount of authority that the Irish electorate bestow on these gombeens. There is actually nothing stopping an Irish family from traveling abroad for their 2-weeks, returning home and other than filling in a form, carrying on with life as normal. Yet it would appear that many families have chosen to flush thousands on euros down the toilet because 'de man de telly' is telling them they shouldn't go.

It's the kind of subservient attitude I will never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm one of the potential 'foreign' travellers ready to come in and spend money. Have flights (with Aer Lingus btw) and accomodation booked and will be renting a car to travel about. However, I haven't a ****ing clue whether I'll be able to or not because of all this dilly-dallying.

Yes, I'm based a in a country (Spain) that was badly hit but it is being handled very well here, far better than back home from what I'm hearing. If I were based in the US or the UK (even though you can just walk in from there at the moment, as far as I understand), I'd understand the concern but things are actually under control here and there is a coherent message coming from all quarters. It stings to be told that we can't go when things are being managed a million times better here.

FF seem intent on destroying the economy once again.

I'm one of the potential 'foreign' travellers ready to come in and spend money. Have flights (with Aer Lingus btw) and accomodation booked and will be renting a car to travel about. However, I haven't a ****ing clue whether I'll be able to or not because of all this dilly-dallying.

Yes, I'm based a in a country (Spain) that was badly hit but it is being handled very well here, far better than back home from what I'm hearing. If I were based in the US or the UK (even though you can just walk in from there at the moment, as far as I understand), I'd understand the concern but things are actually under control here and there is a coherent message coming from all quarters. It stings to be told that we can't go when things are being managed a million times better here.

FF seem intent on destroying the economy once again.

I feel your pain. All you are required to do is fill out a form indicating where you will be staying.

I feel your pain. All you are required to do is fill out a form indicating where you will be staying.
    Is that true? Because my understanding is, as things stand, I have to quarantine for 14 days upon entering the country.

That's not what I intend to do. I intend to go on a holiday and visit a few different places, not sit in my ma's house for two weeks.

I understand I'll be checked up on. I've seen news items quoting politicians mention that it's mandatory and to do otherwise would be breaking the law.

Maybe I've got this wrong, which is possible given that the Gov have been absolutely terrible at getting a coherent, uniform message across.

I just want a yes or no answer to these questions: If I travel to Ireland on the 13th of August, will I have to self-isolate for 14 days? Am I going to be checked up on? Will I be in trouble if I decide to travel around?

Right now, I haven't a ****ing clue and with the different quotes coming out about no non-essential travel despite the green lists, it's a ****ing nightmare to know what actually applies to me and what doesn't.

• Advertisement

Is that true? Because my understanding is, as things stand, I have to quarantine for 14 days upon entering the country.

That's not what I intend to do. I intend to go on a holiday and visit a few different places, not sit in my ma's house for two weeks.

I understand I'll be checked up on. I've seen news items quoting politicians mention that it's mandatory and to do otherwise would be breaking the law.

Maybe I've got this wrong, which is possible given that the Gov have been absolutely terrible at getting a coherent, uniform message across.

I just want a yes or no answer to these questions: If I travel to Ireland on the 13th of August, will I have to self-isolate for 14 days? Am I going to be checked up on? Will I be in trouble if I decide to travel around?

Right now, I haven't a ****ing clue and with the different quotes coming out about no non-essential travel despite the green lists, it's a ****ing nightmare to know what actually applies to me and what doesn't.

There is no legal requirement to self isolate. But requested to restrict movements. personally I would find that difficult on holiday but easy at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The problem is employers are apparently in their right to force you to stay home from work and suck up 2 more weeks of your holiday for that time or take it as unpaid leave. That obviously negates any positivity in going for a holiday in the first place. So if the government can't punish you, your employer might very well do.

Which is all complete farcical shambles.

There is no legal requirement to self isolate. But requested to restrict movements. personally I would find that difficult on holiday but easy at home.
    If I go, it is for a holiday. I won't be restricting my movements.

I don't want to get on a flight and go all the way over there then have to fill out a form listing the places I'm going to be staying (which will be various) only to be told that I have to "restrict my movements" for fourteen days.

If I know that's going to happen, I won't get on the plane. I'll stay here where I can move about relatively freely in comparison.

I have looked at the DFA's website and it says this:
    The Irish Authorities require anyone coming into Ireland, apart from Northern Ireland, to restrict their movements for 14 days
    Meanwhile, gov.ie says:
    You are also asked to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive in Ireland from any overseas country. This includes Irish citizens coming home.

So am I required to restrict my movement (indicates an oligation) or being asked to do so (indicates a choice)? This is what's driving me mad. Two official sources, two different messages. It could all be solved with having the same text and using one of "You must restrict your movements" (in which case I wouldn't go) or "You are recommended to restrict your movements"(in which case, I probably would go and travel about).

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

€29 for Scampi and chips. You won’t be long stimulating the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

The_Brood wrote: »
    The problem is employers are apparently in their right to force you to stay home from work and suck up 2 more weeks of your holiday for that time or take it as unpaid leave. That obviously negates any positivity in going for a holiday in the first place. So if the government can't punish you, your employer might very well do.

Or indeed refuse to allow you take the extra annual or unpaid leave full stop. Many people probably out in for their original two weeks leave when they booked their holidays, prior to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I know it would be impossible to collate this information accurately, but of the people who have been infected abroad since flights have resumed, it would be interesting to know how many of those were because people didn't social distance abroad.

For all we know, most of those people got infected by going into crowded bars and other similar environments. It is kinda unfair to the people who do use common sense when aboard because some people are painting all international travelers with the same brush.

And 3 weeks since Ryanair has resumed flights, and there have been no reported cases in the media of flight attendants becoming infected as part of their job. That is surely a boost for the safety of flights at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Why are people saying theyl lose money if they dont go on holidays they paid for thats just crazy. Infact theyl save money because they wont spend more when like they would when their there. So it makes no sense to say that. Yes its a pity and disappointing if youd paid for a holidays and was looking forward to it but in the situation then theyve lost not being able to go not the money. So its not really as bad as some trying to make out that if the goverment stops them from going that is costing them money. Their not being sensible in that and I think is just the disappointment which is understandable, stopping them from seeing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I for one won't be staying in this absolute joke of a country.

Hilarious how they are dealing with things the last few weeks. No actual rules, or clear messages to the people of Ireland

'Oh, we advise you not to travel, but we won't stop you if you don't, and there are plenty of flights going each day!!'

It's all so bloody stupid. They can't get their point across at all.

Me and my boyfriend are going off to Spain next week for 2 months. Glad to be going, won't be getting ripped off left right and centre going out for a drink/food.

We are lucky in that we work fully online, so can work from anywhere. I feel for people that can't go on holiday because their employer will force them to quarantine unpaid when they return.

I feel safer visiting Spain than I do Ireland. The rules are strict in Spain. In Ireland everyone's too polite to enforce things.

If you go to a shop in spain without a mask, no entry, simple as.

In Ireland if you get on the bus without a mask, the bus driver will let you on no problem (even though it's supposed to be a law since last week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I feel for people that can't go on holiday because their employer will force them to quarantine unpaid when they return.
    The employers arent doing that its the people themselves who have to quarantine so no reason the employer should pay them extra weeks or give them more holidays. People have to work so the best thing is just to stay here. No one likes it but its the best thing to do. And the goverment cant pay them to stay at home either because that just comes from tax and I sure dont want to be paying for people who can afford to go foreign for holidays then getting more weeks when they come back that Id be pay for like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

The_Brood wrote: »

Apparently they are entitled to ask you to stay away for the extra after travelling though ISME suggest they must pay for this unless you have a contact that specific permits this, I’d check first, it’s certainly not in mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement