Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

CBear1993 wrote: »
    That's a lot of facts, man. Incredible, in fact.

So funny, so witty!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Keeping places shut down for something that not even a percent of the population has died from.

In the last 14 days.........because they are locked down to some extent.

Mid March was a slightly different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Yeah , it’s not safer in Spain . Even with everyone wearing masks everywhere the numbers keep going up & up in Spain.

Thankfully our government is now making masks mandatory everywhere as it’s clear they’re about as useful as a wet rag

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yeah , it’s not safer in Spain . Even with everyone wearing masks everywhere the numbers keep going up & up in Spain.

Thankfully our government is now making masks mandatory everywhere as it’s clear they’re about as useful as wet rag
    the numbers are going up at leaving cert discos, parties, and family events, in areas not normally known as hotbeds of tourist activity for irish people, so as an irish holidaymaker you'll be very unlikely to be be at risk from the source of the rising numbers.

dalyboy wrote: »

Thankfully our government is now making masks mandatory everywhere as it’s clear they’re about as useful as wet rag

There is no one measure that works in isolation bar locking everyone in their home. But wearing masks outdoors is a futile exercise as it gives minimal benefit unless you are right in someones face as droplets disperse very quickly outdoors. Very few clusters have been linked directly to outdoor transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

So funny, so witty!

Just find it comical that you spend hours on here hellbent on getting your point across about Covid and the future of it all, when no one can answer that. Even the highest ranking financial, medical, and political figures in our World would not have been able to predict how things would look today, 22nd July, back in March/April. So it's all much ado about nothing.

As one other poster said, nature will take its course, if you want to err on the side of caution, so be it. Some people will want to live their lives too, as our time on this planet shouldn't be wasted in the eyes of many.

People are gonna do what they want to. The very idea that every single person in Ireland should be walking around with facemasks on right now the minute they leave their house, and doing every single thing the guidelines say for what is essentially an unknown length of time at this point is dystopian stuff.

But that's your opinions, you're well entitled to them, as am I.

Was just making a laugh, apologies for any offence caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

There is no one measure that works in isolation bar locking everyone in their home. But wearing masks outdoors is a futile exercise as it gives minimal benefit unless you are right in someones face as droplets disperse very quickly outdoors. Very few clusters have been linked directly to outdoor transmission.

Sure enough though it’s only a matter of time before we will get “scientific studies” on the usefulness of mask wearing in outside conditions.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Just find it comical that you spend hours on here hellbent on getting your point across about Covid and the future of it all, when no one can answer that. Even the highest ranking financial, medical, and political figures in our World would not have been able to predict how things would look today, 22nd July, back in March/April. So it's all much ado about nothing.

As one other poster said, nature will take its course, if you want to err on the side of caution, so be it. Some people will want to live their lives too, as our time on this planet shouldn't be wasted in the eyes of many.

People are gonna do what they want to. The very idea that every single person in Ireland should be walking around with facemasks on right now the minute they leave their house, and doing every single thing the guidelines say for what is essentially an unknown length of time at this point is dystopian stuff.

But that's your opinions, you're well entitled to them, as am I.

Was just making a laugh, apologies for any offence caused.

None taken.

I refer you to my post just above yours on facemasks and their use, or lack thereof in outdoor spaces.
    I find myself on here arguing against both extremes of views, and in favour of some guidelines and against others. Try to support my view with facts. And I am of the view that while serious this is less dangerous than initially thought, but most measures have been balanced between what was known and what was feared. Don't agree with pubs still being closed, don't agree with the return the phase 2 narrative after a couple of clusters. The are many views between the extremes

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Gael23 wrote: »
    Has anyone planned a holiday for summer 2021?
    We were able to move this year's one to new dates in 2021.

I've no optimism that covid will be gone by then but maybe it will have stabilised or an effective treatment found. I've someone in the high-risk category so it's not a chance I'm willing to take this summer. Having said that, if they didn't have the health issue, I could see ourselves taking a cautious, planned approach to a destination that's well-managed covid-wise. We did think we would staycation this year but hearing from friends and family living in scenic areas that are currently jammed with people not giving even the merest token gesture towards covid prevention it's put me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

thats simple not realistic. It sucks for me too, I am in a covid free area of Spain but I understand that chopping up spain into the regions would be messy

The Netherlands does that... forced quarantine only if you're coming from catalunya, Galicia and a specific region in Portugal.

If they can do it, why cant we? What's so hard?

We let Americans in while the rest of Europe has banned them. We are just enforcing masks now when the rest of Europe has done it for months. Everybody does temperature checks at airports, not us. FFS wake up Ireland, follow what other members states are doing and you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

The way ai see it what their saying is that you really shouldnt be going to even the countries that they put on the green list, and that you really rely really shouldn't be going to the ones that aren't on it. Which is fair enough but their probably could have chose a better way to explain it like calling them countries orange ones instead of green so warning, and then all the rest on a red list, and then just Ireland and the northern Ireland part of the UK on a green list. Which would make it clear enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Do you think the lads are sitting back smoking cigars, thinking it's class craic, "what will we tell them next" scenario? :D:D

Next skit "We are aiming to build 40 gazillion houses by 2025, but of those x amount, only 10 families will be able to move in by 2025, the rest between then and 2040.... ahem.... project Ireland? *looks over nervously*"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The way ai see it what their saying is that you really should be going to even the countries that they put on the green list, and that you really rely really shouldn't be going to the ones that aren't on it. Which is fair enough but their probably could have chose a better way to explain it like calling them countries orange ones instead of green so warning, and then all the rest on a red list, and then just Ireland and the northern Ireland part of the UK on a green list. Which would make it clear enough.

Is English your first language?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The way ai see it what their saying is that you really shouldnt be going to even the countries that they put on the green list, and that you really rely really shouldn't be going to the ones that aren't on it. Which is fair enough but their probably could have chose a better way to explain it like calling them countries orange ones instead of green so warning, and then all the rest on a red list, and then just Ireland and the northern Ireland part of the UK on a green list. Which would make it clear enough.

Ironically preceded by the most unclear gobbledygook imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Would have zero interest in going anywhere that you have to compulsorily wear a mask outdoors. What a crap experience that would be.

Actually it's not a big deal. Now it's only compulsory in Andalucia, not in the Valenicia / Alicante regions. But that said, far more people are wearing them in Spain both outdoors and indoors. I visited my local market while there and though it was fairly quiet I decided to keep the mask on for my hour long visit. It was fine.

Those quoting blanket stats about Spain need to realise that apart from a few clusters in isolated areas and higher numbers in the big cities, the numbers in the rest of the country are small and manageable.

My problem is with major restrictions like the Irish travel ban, call it advisory but for many it's a ban, the fact that we're the only country with cinemas still closed and the over cautious hysterical attitude to the whole thing here. I have no problem whatsoever with mask wearing, distancing etc if it will give me back my other freedoms.

Happy enough if I have to holiday in Ireland for a few + years TBH. Half thinking of buying a holiday home.

If/when things get back to normal a long weekend or so abroad would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’d like to go to Spain next year and there’s good deals at the moment.
    Not going anywhere this year but life is too short to listen to the NPHET narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Was due to go on holiday this week. Have pushed it out till the same time next year (travel companies, accommodation etc all very willing to do so) so will see what position the world is in then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Disgusted if I have to holiday in Ireland for a few + years TBH. Half thinking of buying a holiday home abroad .

If/when things get back to normal a day trip in Ireland does me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

How dumb do you have to be not to understand this? The advice is if you don't have to travel don't travel.

If you do have to travel then you need to quarantine for 2 weeks when you come back EXCEPT if you were in a country on the government green list.

Whether you have to travel or not is down to you the traveller. Our government rules by consent. Some people will take the piss but even if they tried to, I don't think it would be possible to truly enforce quarantines beyond checking in on people from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Well Professor Anthony Stained (DCU) has just been on Matt Cooper.

According to the Professor even staycations should now be shut down with cross COUNTY travel prohibited.

Oh and he again made the New Zealand comparison

Jesus wept

Edit: of course no counter balancing view given

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I think most of us understand this.
    Did you hear something to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, some journos ran with it as they were short of summer stories. So too did some opposition TDs notably MLMD. She thought it was complex and confusing for the ordinary person!

Another version is the Green list is no.
    Everywhere else is no, no.

biko wrote: »
    Yes, I think most of us understand this.
    Did you hear something to the contrary?

No but listening to the radio today you would think they are changing their minds on it every two minutes!

Water John wrote: »

Another version is the Green list is no.
    Everywhere else is no, no.

That's deadly - they should actually use your catchphrase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

On the bright side, Penneys is selling off all its Summer stuff since some people don't want to or can't go away this year.

A bag of stuff for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Jesus.... All we needed to do was flatten the curve.

His comments might make it less shameful to travel overseas

Why are people shaming others... What's it about?

quote="Feria40;114105273"]Well Professor Anthony Stained (DCU) has just been on Matt Cooper.

According to the Professor even staycations should now be shut down with cross COUNTY travel prohibited.

Jesus wept

Edit: of course no counter balancing view given[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Feria40 wrote: »
    Well Professor Anthony Stained (DCU) has just been on Matt Cooper.

Jesus wept

Thankfully his 'expertise' is being ignored.

LilyShame wrote: »
    Jesus.... All we needed to do was flatten the curve.

His comments might make it less shameful to travel overseas

Why are people shaming others... What's it about?

quote="Feria40;114105273"]Well Professor Anthony Stained (DCU) has just been on Matt Cooper.

Jesus wept

[/quote]

I loved the Vietnamese China border comparison with the north

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

How dumb do you have to be not to understand this? The advice is if you don't have to travel don't travel.

If you do have to travel then you need to quarantine for 2 weeks when you come back EXCEPT if you were in a country on the government green list.

Whether you have to travel or not is down to you the traveller. Our government rules by consent. Some people will take the piss but even if they tried to, I don't think it would be possible to truly enforce quarantines beyond checking in on people from time to time.

Merged with the travel megathread in the covid forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement