Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

almostover wrote: »
    The mental gymnastics going on on this thread are beyond belief. People will do anything to justify ignoring the public health advice. Don't worry yourself about how you can circumvent the guidlines or how others are doing so. We're being given advice from public health experts to travel only to countries on the green list, maybe pay some heed to that advice?

The experts also disingenuously told us at the start that there was no point wearing masks, remember?
    The real reason they said that was they didn't have enough stock for the HSE (their fault) and they were trying to protect supplies.

The same is happening again now.
    The real reasons for not wanting us to travel are more to do with economics than the size of the increase in cases it would cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

a reiteration from earlier in the week I posted, if my flight is going, I'll be on it,

if Irish Governement want to impose a DO NOT FLY, and they cancel the flight, I get my funds back, I stay,
    then also have some spare bob to holiday at home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I presume if you travel to any country not on the “green list” and you tie your shoelaces together upon return that will satisfy the arbitrary need to “restrict your movements upon return”.

No, it won't. You can evade the restrictions if that is the type of person that you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

josip wrote: »
    The experts also disingenuously told us at the start that there was no point wearing masks, remember?
    The real reason they said that was they didn't have enough stock for the HSE (their fault) and they were trying to protect supplies.

The same is happening again now.
    The real reasons for not wanting us to travel are more to do with economics than the size of the increase in cases it would cause.

Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice , three , four times ..... I’ll ignore everything from this government from now on. Have a nice holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No, it won't. You can evade the restrictions if that is the type of person that you are.

You don't need to 'evade' anything - it's all just advice.

Follow it if you want, ignore it if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You don't need to 'evade' anything - it's all just advice.

Follow it if you want, ignore it if you want.

You won’t be covered by travel insurance if that bothers you

Gael23 wrote: »

It actually doesn’t bother me. I’ve never paid attention to it when travelling in Europe and see no reason to start now. Happy to pay out of my own pocket in the unlikely event that I need to buy new flights or get another couple of weeks accommodation if there is a sudden local lockdown. EHIC covers my general health and I’m not worried about COVID complications given my profile. And in the worst case, repatriation of my body isn’t actually very expensive

But having said that I don’t travel with a family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've just booked flights to Athens and will spend four days in Crete.

I am sick of the stupid messaging from the Irish government. This virus won't go anywhere any time soon and life is for living. When I return, I'll be sensible and will stay away from my grandparents for two weeks. I'm working from home anyway so will effectively be quarantining in any case, except for grocery trips.

After the trauma of this year, I know some sun and sand will help my health a lot, not spending 100 quid a night on a crappy B and B in the West of Ireland where it could rain for four days straight. Wild Atlantic Way is great but I've seen a lot of it before and it's just the same view over and over again in my eyes!

I will wear a face mask at all times in both airports and on the plane. My conscience is fully clear in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Is that up to you or the Insurance provider?

Actually, you may be covered, several insurance companies have announced you are covered, best to ask before purchasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Symantics. You said you didn't believe there was any cases coming from abroad. I quoted it.

This is going nowhere. You have a point but worded it terribly up until now.

I'd learn how to properly spell "semantics" before commenting on how others word their posts! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

I've stayed in a couple of hotels in the last couple of weeks and bars have been open in both - no requirement to order food.

Unable to cope with beach crowds in Cork, Kerry, Wexford at weekend before the real August crowds arrive. Mask wearing in shops still hit and miss. Even though mask wearing etc might not be my idea of a holiday, countries like Spain have superior cleaning of promenades, beaches than here. Beaches are organized. I presume we are only country with some pubs still closed. You can get a hospital bed quicker abroad than a trolley in CUH. Amazing Italy is open for travel after the devastating effect of Covid, but not us. Apart from work we are practically isolating for past. 4 months so I think this holiday shaming is just a Government agenda leaving NPHET to run the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What is the situation in Spain at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

What is the situation in Spain at the moment?

Spain is fully open. Everything is open as normal.

Must wear masks everywhere, despite social distancing.

Masks everywhere apart from when eating, drinking, or at the pool or beach.

Cases were rising in very busy places like Barcelona, Catalonia, but they've gone down again I think.

Very very little cases in tourist hotpspots like Costa Del Sol, Costa Blanca.. And no cases in the places like lanzarote etc.

So really it's basically just wear a mask when you're moving to and from anywhere.

Not at all - have my EHIC - I'm never arsed buying extra insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Spain is fully open. Everything is open as normal.

Must wear masks everywhere, despite social distancing.

Masks everywhere apart from when eating, drinking, or at the pool or beach.

Cases were rising in very busy places like Barcelona, Catalonia, but they've gone down again I think.

Very very little cases in tourist hotpspots like Costa Del Sol, Costa Blanca.. And no cases in the places like lanzarote etc.

Having just returned from Spain I completely agree with that summary. I will add that mask wearing has now become compulsory everywhere outdoors in Andalucia. But as far as I can see a pragmatic approach is adopted in that you only wear it walking around, not sunbathing, eating,drinking. Also the beaches are excellently done as they are divided up to ensure distancing. I would feel much safer using those beaches than my local ones in Kerry on a rare fine day here.

I was in the Alicante region where the only recent new cases were a small cluster in Santa Pola caused by a returning Bolivian family.

Crazy that the regions of southern Spain, as well as their islands, aren't on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

Countries where you have to wear a mask outdoors would completely put me off travelling there. I fully support wearing maks on public transport and indoors but wearing them outside just seems extreme and unnecessary unless it's in packed streets.

VG31 wrote: »
    Countries where you have to wear a mask outdoors would completely put me off travelling there. I fully support wearing maks on public transport and indoors but wearing them outside just seems extreme and unnecessary unless it's in packed streets.

And that's why it's safer to be in Spain or Italy. You have to wear a mask everywhere. Not the end of the world.

Much safer.. And most of the time if you're on holiday in Spain or similar you're at the pool, beach, or eating or drinking anyway :V

And that's why it's safer to be in Spain or Italy. You have to wear a mask everywhere. Not the end of the world.

Much safer.. And most of the time if you're on holiday in Spain or similar you're at the pool, beach, or eating or drinking anyway :V

Doesn't seem to be safer in Spain

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

acequion wrote: »
    I will add that mask wearing has now become compulsory everywhere outdoors in Andalucia.

Would have zero interest in going anywhere that you have to compulsorily wear a mask outdoors. What a crap experience that would be.

Portugal is a big country, blanket banning entire countries is silly. Should go by region, some Irish people going on about France, Spain and Portugal as if they were the size of North Kerry.

thats simple not realistic. It sucks for me too, I am in a covid free area of Spain but I understand that chopping up spain into the regions would be messy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

thelad95 wrote: »
    I've just booked flights to Athens and will spend four days in Crete.

I am sick of the stupid messaging from the Irish government. This virus won't go anywhere any time soon and life is for living. When I return, I'll be sensible and will stay away from my grandparents for two weeks. I'm working from home anyway so will effectively be quarantining in any case, except for grocery trips.

After the trauma of this year, I know some sun and sand will help my health a lot, not spending 100 quid a night on a crappy B and B in the West of Ireland where it could rain for four days straight. Wild Atlantic Way is great but I've seen a lot of it before and it's just the same view over and over again in my eyes!

I will wear a face mask at all times in both airports and on the plane. My conscience is fully clear in doing this.

This is a key point. Those looking for the green list to be scrapped are not factoring in that conditions for international travel might not improve at all in the next year - we could be having the same conversation this time next year.

The green list makes a lot of sense in this context.

right, 11th time now

Its a recommendation, not a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Off to the UK tomorrow via the ferry, long weekend in Nice in two weeks and then a fortnight break in Italy (South) at the end of Aug...
    Simply put we have waited for what we feel is long enough, if told we can't travel then we won't... Otherwise, we are taking the breaks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Enjoy.
    Just after you wrote that, another 3 boardsies doom brigade spontaneously combusted into flames out of sheer anger, jealousy, and irritation.

Keep up the good work.

0.1 deaths per 100,000 - Frightening stuff.:rolleyes:

WTF are you talking about. The proposition was that you were far less likely to contact anything in Spain than here. Facts said otherwise. You can roll your eyes as munch as you want but facts are facts. Never once said anything about being afraid or anything else. Debating on here has descended to attempts to ridicule when there is a fact that you don't like rather than actually coming up with a cogent argument, which there are plenty of by the way.

Haha. Exactly.

A kick in the face to anyone who's died of suicide, alcoholism, cancer, or any other illness/disease that thousands around the world die of everyday.

Keeping places shut down for something that not even a percent of the population has died from.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

WTF are you talking about. The proposition was that you were far less likely to contact anything in Spain than here. Facts said otherwise. You can roll your eyes as munch as you want but facts are facts. Never once said anything about being afraid or anything else. Debating on here has descended to attempts to ridicule when there is a fact that you don't like rather than actually coming up with a cogent argument, which there are plenty of by the way.

That's a lot of facts, man. Incredible, in fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement