Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, but clearly no where near as much or as sustained. Racks are much more spread out due to their size. Masks and intense cardio don't mix too well unfortunately.

Then that's the choice someone makes. If they want to do it, wear a mask. If they don't want to wear a mask, tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

im really hoping people are being fairly sound in flyefit now that it has reopened. I have images of people hogging the cables for the entire 75 mins doing 1000 sets of flys from every different angle and nobody else getting to use them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Yes, but clearly no where near as much or as sustained. Racks are much more spread out due to their size. Masks and intense cardio don't mix too well unfortunately.

I would have thought it could be dangerous to wear a mask and do a cardio too. Particularly if you were doing HIIT which is now popular.

As said before people should be dynamic in how they train during the pandemic. I use to use the treadmills at least once a week but have no intention now. I run out side with no mask and can have a shower when I get home. I have no access to weights so do need the gym for that. I dont see why anyone needs a gym for cardio. If their excuse is oh this is how I like to train and I have every right to well that is a selfish undynamic approach to have during a pandemic. Would have no problem if my gym did not cater this attitude and turned off all cardio machines and let these guys f@#k off somewhere else.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I would have thought it could be dangerous to wear a mask and do a cardio too. Particularly if you were doing HIIT which is now popular.

As said before people should be dynamic in how they train during the pandemic. I use to use the treadmills at least once a week but have no intention now. I run out side with no mask and can have a shower when I get home. I have no access to weights so do need the gym for that. I dont see why anyone needs a gym for cardio. If their excuse is oh this is how I like to train and I have every right to well that is a selfish undynamic approach to have during a pandemic. Would have no problem if my gym did not cater this attitude and turned off all cardio machines and let these guys f@#k off somewhere else.

My hip doesn't allow me to run. Cycling isn't brilliant and the C2 is also out. The elliptical cross trainer is how I would get my cardio as it is allows me to get my heart rate up without aggravating my hip.

Anyway, that's an aside but there are reasons that people use cardio machines in the gym.

It's a little ironic to be calling people selfish and then want the gym to accommodate what you want to do.

I'd be more bothered by not getting to use a rack because someone was doing rows, RDLs etc in racks than not getting to train because someone wanted to use cardio equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I would argue from a contact point of view e.g. touching surfaces etc. weights are a higher risk in that sense as lots of different hands are touching stuff. On a treadmill, a user is very unlikely to be leaving it around potentially hundreds of surfaces from different dumbells, plates, bars, machines etc. if they do have it on their hands for example. Aerosols from breathing will be higher with cardio in most cases sure, but it's swings and roundabouts to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

bigslick wrote: »
    Got 7am slot for Flyefit Ranelagh today. Met at door by FF trainer who had the list of indiividuals signed up and ticked name off. Then contactless machine took temperature and away we went.

Antibacterial sanitizer was provided (smelt strangely like tequila...) as well as anti bacterial spray for cleaning down racks, bars, weights etc after use which I saw most people doing.

75 min slots seemed to work well. Packed at 7am but I found alot of people left around the 45 min mark which left alot of racks free.

Just back from Drumcondra after the 11.30 slot and it was similar to the above. A few more people than I would have preferred at the start of the session but after about 45 minutes it had cleared out a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Then that's the choice someone makes. If they want to do it, wear a mask. If they don't want to wear a mask, tough.

Well hopefully people with this kind of attitude won't be in gyms for much longer when it becomes a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

Well hopefully people with this kind of attitude won't be in gyms for much longer when it becomes a requirement.

Has there been much of a wait for racks at Flyefit?

Iveagh Fitness only has 3 racks, but so far each time I've gone there has been a free rack.

I would argue from a contact point of view e.g. touching surfaces etc. weights are a higher risk in that sense as lots of different hands are touching stuff. On a treadmill, a user is very unlikely to be leaving it around potentially hundreds of surfaces from different dumbells, plates, bars, machines etc. if they do have it on their hands for example. Aerosols from breathing will be higher with cardio in most cases sure, but it's swings and roundabouts to be honest.

You dont have to lick your fingers after using dumbells, but they and your hands can be wiped down afterwards, as is required in my gym currently. Again, as someone else noted, a mask and intense cardio do not go together. It's obviously far easier/more practical to do cardio outside/not in the gym, than using weights and racks, which the vast majority don't have access to outside of a gym.

Folks stomping their feet and asserting their rights about using/doing cardio indoors at the moment isn't particularly helpful. I personally have adjusted my training plans/schedule to try and mitigate the risk as much as possible (do what I can at home/cardio elsewhere/not go the usual 5 times a week), hardly unreasonable for others to consider the same.

You dont have to lick your fingers after using dumbells, but they and your hands can be wiped down afterwards, as is required in my gym currently. Again, as someone else noted, a mask and intense cardio do not go together.

Doesnt have to be intense cardio.

As an aside, I haven't seen anyone else wipe down plates after using them. I could be using 12 plates between fractionals, 5s, 10s, 20s and I wipe them down. Granted I don't study what everyone does but I have seen people in the next rack just strip the bar and then wipe the bar but not the plates.

• Advertisement

Kamu wrote: »
    Has there been much of a wait for racks at Flyefit?

Iveagh Fitness only has 3 racks, but so far each time I've gone there has been a free rack.

I haven't been there yet, session booked later for 8.30 in Liffey Valley. I could be wrong, but I think they may have no classes and have moved equipment into areas where classes would usually be for extra spacing. Joined Colosseum in the interim as I genuinely thought Flyefit would be a ****show with the booking system, i.e. you wouldn't get near the place, particularly with Ben Dunne not opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

As an aside, I haven't seen anyone else wipe down plates after using them. I could be using 12 plates between fractionals, 5s, 10s, 20s and I wipe them down. Granted I don't study what everyone does but I have seen people in the next rack just strip the bar and then wipe the bar but not the plates.

I'd see the bar as being more important but I did give the plates a wipe today when I was done. Although thinking about it now, I didn't do it every time as I was swapping them in and out.

matrim wrote: »
    I'd see the bar as being more important but I did give the plates a wipe today when I was done. Although thinking about it now, I didn't do it every time as I was swapping them in and out.

Unfortunately no matter what is done, the nature of the gym makes it one of the most high risk places/activities for catching the virus at the moment.

If there is anything that is passed between your hands and the bar, it's also going to be passed to the plates.

Just clean them at the end rather than every time you change them

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Just back from Drumcondra after the 11.30 slot and it was similar to the above. A few more people than I would have preferred at the start of the session but after about 45 minutes it had cleared out a lot.

Went to Tallaght earlier. Definitely felt busier than I would have liked - not far off a busy normal period tbh.

Good set up coming in with the temp check etc and there was someone doing a sporadic clean of the equipment but definitely felt a but unsafe having that many people close together - so much so that I decided to just put my mask on halfway through.

Everything well spaced out in Portobello earlier. Racks were still in situ but some machines moved out to the warm up area.

Was weirdly quiet but great to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's a lot of contact surfaces in that example.
    2 x 20s, 10s, 5s, 2.5kgs. 10 plates, and that only covers 100-130kg.
    I'd be very surprised in everyone was fully wiping down all sides of the our edge of 10 plates.

I've been sticking to kettlebells and pull-ups since I've gone back. Small easily identified handle. Wipe at end of workout.

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a lot of contact surfaces in that example.
    2 x 20s, 10s, 5s, 2.5kgs. 10 plates, and that only covers 100-130kg.
    I'd be very surprised in everyone was fully wiping down all sides of the our edge of 10 plates.

I've been sticking to kettlebells and pull-ups since I've gone back. Small easily identified handle. Wipe at end of workout.

Yep it is a lot of contact with not an awful lot of weight and I would be surprised if people are cleaning them down. Was really just to illustrate using weights also bore a risk of spreading on surfaces since cardio was being painted as the main risk. I did clean the plates after but I think I was in a minority in the gym I went to temporarily. Was back in my usual gym last night and went in at the start of the booked session, all plates at the rack still bore the damp patches of having been wiped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'd imagine the simple act of someone washing their hands when they finish and not having rubbed these eyes etc. throughout would be as effective a way of preventing virus spread as any wiping of plates. Not saying plates shouldn't be cleaned but just that if people maintain the advised regime around routine hygiene I wouldn't imagine surfaces shouldn't be too much of a threat.

Rosita wrote: »
    I'd imagine the simple act of someone washing their hands when they finish and not having rubbed these eyes etc. throughout would be as effective a way of preventing virus spread as any wiping of plates. Not saying plates shouldn't be cleaned but just that if people maintain the advised regime around routine hygiene I wouldn't imagine surfaces shouldn't be too much of a threat.

If someone had something on their hands and then touched the bar and all the plates, that's a lot of surfaces that potentially could facilitate spreading to someone else. Cleaning the plates is for the benefit of the next person.

And people touch their face during a workout a lot more than they realise.

• Advertisement

Went to Tallaght earlier. Definitely felt busier than I would have liked - not far off a busy normal period tbh...........

Was in there at 7pm .......... felt quiet enough but there was one disgusting fooker going around coughing, not wiping equipment and the sweat was p1ssing off him. Definitely looked sick to me. I stayed 20/30m away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

went to FF in Georges st and was pretty impressed with it. A reasonable amount of people in, temperature taken before and plenty of sanitizer around and nearly everyone using it. They have done about as good a job as you could reasonably expect them to for me.
    Rather unsurprisingly it seemed to be chest and biceps day for 90% of the guys in tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Gym still quiet, 5 people including myself.

I am wiping down every plate, bar piece of equipment I touch. But its a pain..
    I did notice not everyone is aware of how much they touch stuff.

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    went to FF in Georges st and was pretty impressed with it. A reasonable amount of people in, temperature taken before and plenty of sanitizer around and nearly everyone using it. They have done about as good a job as you could reasonably expect them to for me

Yeah I felt exactly the same. Definitely felt comfortable with the level of effort being put in

Went back to flyefit cork yesterday evening at 7. That slot was fully booked and I was lucky to get a rack. The later slots at 8pm and after would probably be a good bit quieter.
    They seemed well prepared, cleaning staff going over and wiping down treadmills etc as soon as people got off them, but not in the weight rooms though. Wiped down everything I used but I didn't see anyone else doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 raycharters

Any Discount Codes for New Joiners?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Guys for anyone you in FlyeFit. See the way they want us to clean equipment after use. Usually I just wipe down the seat when I’m done with my sweat towel, now do they want use to sanitise dumbbells barbells and plates or what? Thanks

Guys for anyone you in FlyeFit. See the way they want us to clean equipment after use. Usually I just wipe down the seat when I’m done with my sweat towel, now do they want use to sanitise dumbbells barbells and plates or what? Thanks

Wiping it with a sweat towel is just wiping sweat from your towel onto the seat.

Clean what you touch with the paper towels and sanitiser.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

50% is a believable number. I have noticed the gym a LOT quieter since I went back.

A lot of people that I tell that I am back in the gym look surprised. There are a lot of scared people out there who are unwilling to return to indoor activities like gyms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement