Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

nullzero wrote: »

Still miss Sandyford :(

Longer hours from next week in Gym Plus Rathfarnam...

From Monday the 20th July 2020 our opening hours will be,

Monday - Friday : 6am-9pm
    Saturday -Sunday : 8am-5pm

Thank you for your patience and compliance during this time as we all try and adapt to a new safe and enjoyable way of working out.

Please remember the key points:

-Carry a hand towel at all times
    -Wipe all equipment with disinfectant and blue paper before and after use
    -Ensure you book your slot
    -Arrive and leave on time
    -Please limit class booking to one class per day at this time to be fair to your fellow members
    -Don’t arrive at the club if you are feeling unwell or have travelled recently and you are subject to quarantine restrictions.

Booking through FitSense App still applies for Gym/Pool and Classes.

We have also added extra classes starting from Monday 20th. Please keep checking the FitSense app for our constantly evolving timetable as we continue to expand our class offering.

Thank you to all our members for supporting us since reopening, its been great seeing you all back healthy and active.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Still miss Sandyford :(

Longer hours from next week in Gym Plus Rathfarnam...

From Monday the 20th July 2020 our opening hours will be,

Monday - Friday : 6am-9pm
    Saturday -Sunday : 8am-5pm

Thank you for your patience and compliance during this time as we all try and adapt to a new safe and enjoyable way of working out.

Please remember the key points:

-Carry a hand towel at all times
    -Wipe all equipment with disinfectant and blue paper before and after use
    -Ensure you book your slot
    -Arrive and leave on time
    -Please limit class booking to one class per day at this time to be fair to your fellow members
    -Don’t arrive at the club if you are feeling unwell or have travelled recently and you are subject to quarantine restrictions.

Booking through FitSense App still applies for Gym/Pool and Classes.

We have also added extra classes starting from Monday 20th. Please keep checking the FitSense app for our constantly evolving timetable as we continue to expand our class offering.

Thank you to all our members for supporting us since reopening, its been great seeing you all back healthy and active.

I was a member in Sandyford as well, best gym I've been a member of by a mile.
    Was gutted when that Explorium thing opened up there, I'd always hoped it might reopen as a gym, absolutely brilliant facilities gone to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

matrim wrote: »
    Did they ever officially say 90 minutes? The only place I saw 90 mentioned was on this thread

With what they announced, it probably is 90 minute blocks, where it is 75 minutes for working out and 15 minutes for staff to clean and do a swap over of customers.

Yeah, I was told it was 90 minute slots the other day. Went to check if that was legit and didn't see it on the site but saw it in the FAQs the other day. And it was always to be followed with a 30-minute deep clean.

Since been changed to 75 mins on the FAQs. The FAQ from the other say is still cached in Google:

5f56bb92ef76dec55ba2da06a455987e-full.png

givyjoe wrote: »
    Burned how?

I never ogt any money back, nor did anyone. They were taking memberships hours before! even the staff didn't know to be fair to them.

Ben Dunne will easily claim bankruptcy!

Saying stuff like that on national radio and then assuring members all is well, is not good at all!! WTF is he thinking or taking!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I had paid an annual sub about 10 days before Total Fitness folded but as used a credit card, I got a refund. The pool complex was superb, tragic to see it abandoned.

rusty cole wrote: »
    I never ogt any money back, nor did anyone. They were taking memberships hours before! even the staff didn't know to be fair to them.

Ben Dunne will easily claim bankruptcy!

Saying stuff like that on national radio and then assuring members all is well, is not good at all!! WTF is he thinking or taking!!

In the unlikely event they do go bust and you paid for your membership by credit card you can do a chargeback.

I got money back from Sandyford total fitness this way when they closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I went a bit too hard on the squats day 1 and it lasted 5 days, days 3-4 were agony. I had been doing a good bit of BW stuff during the break but it clearly didn’t prepare me in any way for the barbell.

Anybody just starting back, ease in to it !

I thought I was easing myself into things on Monday. Once there I was actually able to do more than I thought. In retrospect I think it was the excitement and adrenaline of being back. I've been sore all week! Today I'm finally in less pain though.

For those saying their gyms are opening for 60/75 minute slots, is that really enough for a work out? I realise it would give more members a chance to book in, but for me the 90 minutes is perfect, any less and I wouldn't get everything done. Between extra long warm ups because of the long break, extra time cleaning equipment before and after use etc, any less than 90 minutes wouldn't be enough. Not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

For those saying their gyms are opening for 60/75 minute slots, is that really enough for a work out? I realise it would give more members a chance to book in, but for me the 90 minutes is perfect, any less and I wouldn't get everything done. Between extra long warm ups because of the long break, extra time cleaning equipment before and after use etc, any less than 90 minutes wouldn't be enough. Not for me anyway.

The 60min slots are a bit of a killer. I warm up for 10 mins before which leaves me with 50 mins for the actual workout. It's fine for now as I am not doing any big lifts, but when I do decided to go back to a 5x5 strength day, I will want to have the time to do 2 mins rest in between sets and still get all the accessory work done.

Even now I am going over time by 5-10 mins and so far they haven't said anything.

I have no time to do any cardio after the workout though, which is the main negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

I'm in shoreline bray and have to say, 90 minutes is more than enough since I'm no longer waiting on the kids who just sit on gear texting each other. BAM Bam Bam one workout to the next. But it's not gonna be members only for long. Been thinking of changing to another place with more space but I'll ride it out while it's quiet.
    Very clean tho, they've sanitizer bottles at every machine and bench, towels mandatory and they gas the place between sessions, temp checks each visit etc. Solid effort and much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Kamu wrote: »

I have no time to do any cardio after the workout though, which is the main negative.

I'm fitting in 15-20 mins of cardio at the end of my work out. I don't mind that too much. Pre gym closures I would have done 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Kamu wrote: »
    The 60min slots are a bit of a killer. I warm up for 10 mins before which leaves me with 50 mins for the actual workout. It's fine for now as I am not doing any big lifts, but when I do decided to go back to a 5x5 strength day, I will want to have the time to do 2 mins rest in between sets and still get all the accessory work done.

Even now I am going over time by 5-10 mins and so far they haven't said anything.

where gyms have these rules are you only allowed book one per day?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    where gyms have these rules are you only allowed book one per day?

Pretty sure that's the case.

Anyone know why some places seem to have steam rooms and jacuzzi's open but others don't?

Pretty sure that's the case.

I know everyone should be cutting everyone some slack these days but its a bit like a going to a 5 star hotel and finding out they have closed the amenities, Charging for one thing but not supplying a full service.
    Unless they are discounting rates which I doubt they should allow multiple visits (not back to back obviously), most members wouldn't bother so they wouldn't be overrun

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I know everyone should be cutting everyone some slack these days but its a bit like a going to a 5 star hotel and finding out they have closed the amenities, Charging for one thing but not supplying a full service.
    Unless they are discounting rates which I doubt they should allow multiple visits (not back to back obviously), most members wouldn't bother so they wouldn't be overrun

It's more like going to a 5-star hotel and having to check out before a certain time.

The cleaning after each training slot doesn't cost nothing and most people would appreciate the fact that they are going in to a gym to use equipment that has been cleaned.

Most slots are 75-90 mins which should be enough for most. If I was in a normal training cycle for a competition, 75 minutes would be a bit tight. 90 probably ok.

Use of showers, I get that. Unless they're individual cubicles where water from one can't run into another

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The cleaning after each training slot doesn't cost nothing and most people would appreciate the fact that they are going in to a gym to use equipment that has been cleaned.

Most slots are 75-90 mins which should be enough for most. If I was in a normal training cycle for a competition, 75 minutes would be a bit tight. 90 probably ok.
    We have 90m minute slots. Cleaning is more or less up to members. Everyone now does it but some are very obsessive with cleaning down equipment so it works well enough.

Its very good where I am, everyone wipes down their own stuff and occasionally a cleaner comes around in full fumigation mode

I'm in shoreline bray and have to say, 90 minutes is more than enough since I'm no longer waiting on the kids who just sit on gear texting each other. BAM Bam Bam one workout to the next. But it's not gonna be members only for long. Been thinking of changing to another place with more space but I'll ride it out while it's quiet.
    Very clean tho, they've sanitizer bottles at every machine and bench, towels mandatory and they gas the place between sessions, temp checks each visit etc. Solid effort and much appreciated.

Very reassured by their cleaning too. I got a message about their new booking app. I have to download it today and see how it works.

Since re-opening I only had to wait once for a machine, and it was only a couple of minutes. It was the last machine I needed so I couldn't do anything else in the meantime.

Anyone know why some places seem to have steam rooms and jacuzzi's open but others don't?

Steam rooms are a bit more risky in terms of a virus surviving on surfaces so they would need to be cleaned very regularly. Saunas are a higher temperature and usually wood surfaces so much safer.

Jacuzzis should be ok but still need managing. Some probably think it's too much hassle to have them safely available

Some might not really understand the risk so are safety first. That could well be down to a lack of guidance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Couldn't get any slots this weekend for the gym I'm in. They were all booked out in a couple of minutes. The gym I'm in is in a hotel and they have started block booking 7 of the 45 spaces for guests. Getting frustrating at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I really hope the shower facilities are open by October. Even just walking the 1 minute to your car, in drenched sweaty gear in the cold and rain, followed by a 20min drive home, will probably bring on flu and colds. Places like gyms and other sports people play are just not healthy to not shower and change afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

i still can't book flyefit slots. I thought it was opening tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

GerryFog wrote: »

Opening Monday. Bookings start tomorrow

GerryFog wrote: »

First slot is 5.30am Monday...you will be able to book slots 24 hours in advance.

I really hope the shower facilities are open by October. Even just walking the 1 minute to your car, in drenched sweaty gear in the cold and rain, followed by a 20min drive home, will probably bring on flu and colds. Places like gyms and other sports people play are just not healthy to not shower and change afterwards.

The common cold and the flu are viruses. They're not caused by the cold and rain

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

The common cold and the flu are viruses. They're not caused by the cold and rain

That really annoyed the *balocks* off me anytime my mom would say 'put a heavier jacket on, you'll get the flu going out like that's

No, no I won't. I'll get the flu from being too close to someone who has the flu. No other way dammit. Hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Actually think the 75 minute slot of flyefit is a good balance - the hour is probably a bit tight for people though doable with creativity, but the 75 will probably do most people, and still gives time for cleaning which is a positive.

Hoping the booking doesn't crash tomorrow though with only being able to book 24 hours in advance rather than the day before, it will be staggered across the day at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

That is true, but body temperature affects your immune system to fight off these viruses. Staying in a cold sweaty wet top, and I mean drenched in sweat as I do mostly long distance cardio in gym, even if only for 30mins after leaving gym, is not good for you, and will be worse in winter leading to chills and shivers. Even before corona, showering, sauna, jacuzzi time at end increased your chances of picking up common cold and flu as person close to you sneezes, spits and all other disgusting habits people have, but only people I see leaving without shower are those who just do weights training.

• Advertisement

That is true, but body temperature affects your immune system to fight off these viruses. Staying in a cold sweaty wet top, and I mean drenched in sweat as I do mostly long distance cardio in gym, even if only for 30mins after leaving gym, is not good for you, and will be worse in winter leading to chills and shivers. Even before corona, showering, sauna, jacuzzi time at end increased your chances of picking up common cold and flu as person close to you sneezes, spits and all other disgusting habits people have, but only people I see leaving without shower are those who just do weights training.

Put on a dry top in the car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement