Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rusty cole wrote: »
    oh so johnny gym owner is going to start mailing or txting people to say they may have been near somebody today in the gym who tested positive. That's fair enough I get that. Now If I have no idea who it was because johnny gym owner cannot disclose the persons identity, all I can do is assume I may have been near them or within grunting distance on a thread mill for 15 minutes. so Im back to where we started, do I get a test? and if so then I must self isolate. and yes it all makes sense but once again we now echo DUNNES view, this just cannot be done.

Yes, you get a test,

Yes, you isolate until you find out the result, in which case you either continue to self-isolate because you tested positive or you carry about your business because you tested negative.

Why can't it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Had my first day back since March on Tuesday. Did upper body and core. Then did a serious leg day yesterday.

I am in absolute agony today. Putting on a t-shirt was like pulling teeth.

Augeo wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the Gardai.

The HSE have contact tracing teams.

You are talking out your hoop repeatedly .......... keep going if you want.

yeah the glorious APP,
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/data-collection-in-new-covid-19-app-troubling/ar-BB175WyS?li=BBr5KbJ

I'll keep talking as long as you're reading. THE HSE have laid claim to a lot of things and fallen short every time. The day I place my faith in that shower of ****wits, is the day I take you to the local for your usual baby sham on the ice with a pink umbrella.

...... The day I place my faith in that shower of ****wits, is the day I take you to the local for your usual baby sham on the ice with a pink umbrella.

Well considering you reckon AGS have something to do with contact tracing I'm not overly sure that you considering a group fnckwits is a complement or an insult.

I've no idea what a baby sham is or what the pink umbrella comment is about.... Sounds a tad keyboardwarrier ish.....

I know they SHOULD and I Know they COULD but it would be the end of that gym too. If that's the policy, the gym should insist all users have the app! in compliance with the law. Otherwise, how will they know they had a case of any substance. I know (and in fairness to) the poster who aid they MAY be asked to hand over details of gym goers on that day, but the man power alone is just not there, again, hence the APP, let a blanket computerized system do it, 100% efficiency. If my gym had a case and the guards asked for a list and that CASE was down stairs for the duration, whilst I was upstairs , I'd be pissed at the prospect of having to call my boss and take 1-2 weeks off in isolation. and I would cancel the membership and wait it out, this would actually prove ben dunnes point, IT CANNOT BE DONE... so lets hope it doesn't come to that because it's curtains for gyms then.

And NO, just because an idea doesn't marry with another opposing view, doesn't make me john ****ing waters. ;)

I really wish you'd proof read your posts.

1. Having the record to help inform people who may have contracted the virus from a confirmed case there at the same time wouldn't be the end of the gym.

2. Given you want to let the app do the identification, have you even downloaded it yet?

3. A single text/email to the ca. 50 members in the gym at the same time as the confirmed case is not time consuming.

4. You don't have to take a couple of weeks in isolation if you've been in the gym at the same time as a confirmed case. You get a test and find out in a day or so if you're positive or negative.

5. Download the app since you think it's the way to go.

6. Have you downloaded the app yet or still looking at reasons to not do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Augeo wrote: »
    Well considering you reckon AGS have something to do with contact tracing I'm not overly sure that you considering a group fnckwits is a complement or an insult.

I've no idea what a baby sham is or what the pink umbrella comment is about.... Sounds a tad keyboardwarrier ish.....

I believe it's an old folks drink, including the pink umbrella. Something your granny would drink. The posts are still incoherent twaddle though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

So....

... Those guys in baseball caps in the gym eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Honestly, some things never change even with Covid.

Guy rocks up puts down his stuff on the bench press, then proceeds to spend a good 20 mins doing various pec and upper back stretches etc. with his hands over 2 (yes, 2!) different squat racks as he moves about. There was a guy in a power rack eyeing the bench the whole time (understandably!)

Then after the 20 mins finally gets around to starting to bench. I thought that kind of thing would take a few weeks to come back around but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

So....

... Those guys in baseball caps in the gym eh...

That's me, I wear a cap most days. My hair would be a little longer then normal and it keeps my hair out of my eyes and from flopping everywhere when I am on the treadmill.

Guy rocks up puts down his stuff on the bench press, then proceeds to spend a good 20 mins doing various pec and upper back stretches etc. with his hands over 2 (yes, 2!) different squat racks as he moves about. There was a guy in a power rack eyeing the bench the whole time (understandably!)

Then after the 20 mins finally gets around to starting to bench. I thought that kind of thing would take a few weeks to come back around but obviously not.

That shyte annoys me to no end. If your warm up is going to take more then 5 mins, do it somewhere else and at least let someone else use the damn bench.

Never enough Bench Press benches going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Stop responding to an obvious troll / moron.

• Advertisement

Personally I'm doubtful that the contact tracing app will be of any use since (realistically speaking) I highly suspect that the vast majority of people (especially older people) don't realise that they have to have bluetooth on for it to work -or- don't know how to turn on bluetooth -or- don't know what bluetooth is -or- will read its usage instructions and just say "f*** that."

Well that kind of extreme ignorance was never going to be stamped out, no matter what. But, overall, I have witnessed gym users in general acting ten times more consciously than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hhmmm?

Any gyms have the shower open? Doesn't suit me to go unless it's the morning then shower before I go to work.

Every village has its idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

yeah the glorious APP,
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/data-collection-in-new-covid-19-app-troubling/ar-BB175WyS?li=BBr5KbJ

I'll keep talking as long as you're reading. THE HSE have laid claim to a lot of things and fallen short every time. The day I place my faith in that shower of ****wits, is the day I take you to the local for your usual baby sham on the ice with a pink umbrella.

You have a distinct mis-understanding of that news item. This is not the HSE covid app transmitting data to servers, It's Google Play Services transmitting data back regardless of the app. It has been happening before the HSE app and will happen into the future unless Google are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

hhmmm? wrote: »
    Any gyms have the shower open? Doesn't suit me to go unless it's the morning then shower before I go to work.

Can you go after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

iveagh fitness does

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Gymplus Rathfarnam does....app seems to suggest they all do (in the chain). Whike it asks to only use where necessary they can and are being used.

Just in regards to Iveagh Fitness, everything is open besides the Lunge Pool and Steam room.

You do book a time, however I was told it's 'roughly 60 mins.'

I've been going for about 90 mins all this week, and nothing said to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Kamu wrote:
    Just in regards to Iveagh Fitness, everything is open besides the Lunge Pool and Steam room.

A pool dedicated just to lunges. Sounds like a serious spot.

• Advertisement

A pool dedicated just to lunges. Sounds like a serious spot.

You won't find thicker thighs in all of Dublin. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Went to Jervis Flyefit for the first time this evening. Nice to be back in a gym but I have to say I was surprised the majority of people not using sanitiser or wiping down machines after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Feenix wrote: »
    Went to Jervis Flyefit for the first time this evening. Nice to be back in a gym but I have to say I was surprised the majority of people not using sanitiser or wiping down machines after use.

Spotted this in my Flyefit today a little more than earlier in the week. One of the trainers didn't even give a cursory wipe to any of the machines :eek:

Read this when I was in Portobello and to be fair, i spotted most people wiping their machines,seats and dumbbells. Except one person who didn't wipe down the leg press. The cleaners and staff were out cleaning equipment early enough as well...banking on people not starting in the racks with 15 mins left. Was a good showing on the cleaning front there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Read this when I was in Portobello and to be fair, i spotted most people wiping their machines,seats and dumbbells. Except one person who didn't wipe down the leg press. The cleaners and staff were out cleaning equipment early enough as well...banking on people not starting in the racks with 15 mins left. Was a good showing on the cleaning front there today.

The difference in people who will be going to Portobello vs Jervis would reflect the attitudes tbh.

The difference in people who will be going to Portobello vs Jervis would reflect the attitudes tbh.

So you're saying I'm classy? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Same again in Jervis this morning, I guess that’s just how it will be. They’re not even pretending to make an effort. Staff are doing their best but looks like they will have their work cut out.

Same again in Jervis this morning, I guess that’s just how it will be. They’re not even pretending to make an effort. Staff are doing their best but looks like they will have their work cut out.

The lack of personal responsibility has been a real revelation over the course of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Mostly the same in Tallaght. A not insignificant minority are wiping down but the majority aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

People in drumcondra seem ok about wiping down but even still I follow the approach that the person before me didn't wipe it down so give things a wipe before and after use

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement