Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

F1 2020: Styrian GP (Austria, Part Zwei)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Those remote control boxes are class

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Cool_CM wrote: »

They should keep them when it all goes back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Cool_CM wrote: »

They're less wooden than the usual politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Renault - sort out your reliability issues. Points dropped again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Watched a bit of the race today, used to be a huge F1 fan but skipped the last couple of seasons. Kind of reminded me of watching a new episode of The Simpson, it had the look and feel of something I used enjoy, there were flashes of some good racing on the track but overall wasn't enough to keep me watching to the end of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They're less wooden than the usual politicians.

Hopefully they'll have a picture of Vlad on them for the Russian GP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

Glad the camera work ingnored the front three this race. This was the pink panther show .
    Stroll drove well , big learning curve for him to deal with the defensive drive from Daniel Ricciardo , in the end Passing Daniel Ricciardo actually cost him and let Lando into mix for one place and the of rob Perez at the end .
    The Three cars going for the line just added to the final lap drama .
    The Rest of the Day belonged to Perez such a good drive. . Pity he didnt get albon but he pretty much made that race . I am sure they will write essays about it over the next few days. Good result either way for Racing Point both cars across the line , both in the points .

The lame Horse .........shocking . enough said .

Mclaren , Both cars in the points , Great drive again from Lando . Sainz was good enough too , pit stop error cost him. Midfield is going to be a real battle ground . Did Sainz get fastest lap at the end as well .

Renault could be better and probably will , the looked decent up till Ocon had to retire . Actually though Danni Ric would challange albon at one point .

Alpha T , One point . Could have been more poor decision on Gasly . Comfortable drive form Dani K all the same for the final point

Alpha & Hass & Williams , just not in the same races this year .

Lando Norris is Third in the Drivers , And McLaren are second .

Pos Constructor Points
    1 Mercedes 80
    2 McLaren/Renault 39
    3 Red Bull/Honda 27
    4 Racing Point/Mercedes 22
    5 Ferrari 19
    6 Renault 8
    7 AlphaTauri/Honda 7
    8 Alfa Romeo/Ferrari 2
    9 Williams/Mercedes 0
    10 Haas/Ferrari 0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We haven't been eating the races so far.
    Last week was an 8/10 this week is a generous 4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Bit of a dull one today, though there were some decent moments in the midfield. Thought the DRS zone on the back straight was a bit of a joke that ruined a lot of battles. Bottas vs Max could have been a lot more entertaining without it. Looking forward to Hungary to see how RB and Mercedes compare there. Not giving hope yet that max can be a title contender, though Mercedes look very strong at the moment. Was a pit Sainz got such a good start today, was hoping Max would have a good run at Hamilton into turn 3. Finally wonder if the FIA will be displeased at perez running around with a damaged car. Though it was a bit dodgy with the pack catching him a a rate of knots into the final corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Max was a sitting duck throughout. With that predictability it was quite boring. The only thing worse than a predictable race is a predicable race because of a rule gimmick like super-degradable tyres.

The midfield is where all the interest is - will be following Racing Point and McLaren moreseo than the cars at the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Didn't get to watch live but finished watching the C4 highlights there. The midfield is very interesting with a number of terms close to each other but overall Merc well ahead of everyone, then a step down to RB and then another step down to the rest.

What a shocker from Ferrari and specifically Leclerc. Maybe some understandable frustration caused him to dive in like that but taking yourself and your fellow teammate out is ridiculously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that result at the front was very predictable. Well done to Lewis do. Very silly of Leclerc to take his teammate and himself out. I think Ferrari team boss will have to sit them both down and have a big talk. Renault seem to have a cooling issue on there cars. Hope they can sort it out before next weekend race. Well done to Max he just drives and never gives up. It was not the most exciting race but I think next weeks will be better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭CFlat

Interesting that Binotti didn't want to apportion blame. I wonder had it been Vet who caused the incident would he be looking at his P45. Le Clerc is the wunderkind at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

CFlat wrote: »
    Interesting that Binotti didn't want to apportion blame. I wonder had it been Vet who caused the incident would he be looking at his P45. Le Clerc is the wunderkind at the moment.

For today he’s the crash kid at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

CFlat wrote: »

If Vettel did it it would be the latest in a long line of crashes and disasters. LeClerc made a mistake today and it cost them dearly. But let's not pretend their form for stupid crashes is comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Perez needs the big drive next year, a decent rear gunner would have got him across the line in any other team. He deserves a big shot on a big team. 3.5 second pit stop today and just gets on with it, deserves better.

Constant professional for years, put him in a podium team.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

I love this. I know some will think it's coaching, but for me it's even more impressive having to take instructions like this under the pressure of trying to get past the cars in front with only 2 laps left.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1282591846636548097

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭This is it

That's two weeks now we've seen this with Norris, surely he can't be the only one receiving instructions to this extent? Is it a case that the others just aren't shown?

FWIW I've no issue with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Absolutely loving the midfield battle this year, and how McLaren and Racing Point are both fighting for podiums. Constructors Championship will be a real dogfight.

Perez's drive was sensational, but also showed up the gap between him and Stroll. Regardless of him being Lawrence's son, I can't see the other investors being too happy with him being kept on next season, especially with the likes of Vettel being available, and with driver salaries outside the budget caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,136 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great race from Lando again. He's really starting to show something this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Perez's drive was sensational, but also showed up the gap between him and Stroll. Regardless of him being Lawrence's son, I can't see the other investors being too happy with him being kept on next season, especially with the likes of Vettel being available, and with driver salaries outside the budget caps.

If Stroll's team mate was Alonso/Hamilton/Verstappen then the performance difference might be excusable, but Perez is an average driver. Capable of the odd very impressive drive, the odd terrible performance, but mostly just... ok. I'd put him in the same category as Hulkenburg or Bottas. That leaves Stroll as a below average driver, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If Stroll's team mate was Alonso/Hamilton/Verstappen then the performance difference might be excusable, but Perez is an average driver. Capable of the odd very impressive drive, the odd terrible performance, but mostly just... ok. I'd put him in the same category as Hulkenburg or Bottas. That leaves Stroll as a below average driver, at best.

How are Hulk and Bottas in the same category?

Stroll did alright yesterday. Some tasty overtakes. But he's not a great driver. Will be remembered as a pay driver (only in f1 through money) but he started F1 so young and is getting way more time to develop because he can't really be fired, that he might develop into a decent midfield standard driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

How are Hulk and Bottas in the same category?

Same category as Perez, i.e. average. Good, but not on the same level as the elite drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭quokula

Same category as Perez, i.e. average. Good, but not on the same level as the elite drivers.

I wouldn't put Bottas on the same level as Perez and Hulk, they were always among the most outstanding talents of the midfield. Bottas would be the next tier down, more on par with a Kvyat or Magnussen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭kksaints

quokula wrote: »
    I wouldn't put Bottas on the same level as Perez and Hulk, they were always among the most outstanding talents of the midfield. Bottas would be the next tier down, more on par with a Kvyat or Magnussen.

Would disagree with this, Bottas is definitely an equal of Perez and Hulk. I think people forget that he was very good between 2014 and 2016 with Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Can someone please explain why Hulk is being mentioned in the same sentence as Bottas and Perez?! Bottas is a multiple grand prix winner. Perez has shown that on his day he can take ther fight to most anyone. Hulk has ... the record for most amount of races without ever stepping on a podium? It's nearly on the same fantasy level as he who shall not be named (but featured in first practice the weekend just gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Top Dog wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why Hulk is being mentioned in the same sentence as Bottas and Perez?! Bottas is a multiple grand prix winner. Perez has shown that on his day he can take ther fight to most anyone. Hulk has ... the record for most amount of races without ever stepping on a podium? It's nearly on the same fantasy level as he who shall not be named (but featured in first practice the weekend just gone)

You mean Kubica 🙂

I think Nico Hulkingberg was a good driver but he was also very unlucky.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Top Dog

AMKC wrote: »
    You mean Kubica 🙂

I think Nico Hulkingberg was a good driver but he was also very unlucky.
    I wasn't going to say it for fear the conversation about him might get rekindled. ;)

And yeah Hulk was good, but he was never going to be any more than that. Lacked the inherent instinct needed to go for gaps and be properly aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭quokula

Top Dog wrote: »

Bottas would have won nothing or come nowhere if he had the cars Hulkenberg had, I thought that would be so obvious that it didn't need to be said. Hulkenberg would probably have at least one WDC under his belt now if he'd been in the cars Bottas has been.

Hulkenberg and Perez were team-mates for 3 years. They were closely matched in that time, but Hulkenberg generally had the edge. Perez did come on top in points 2 out of those three years, but it has to be noted that across those two seasons Hulkenberg suffered no fewer than 9 DNFs while Sergio suffered just one, so there was a lot of luck involved. It's also worth pointing out that the year before they were teammates, Hulkenberg was in a Sauber and Perez was in a McLaren, yet Nico finished ahead of Sergio in the championship. The other McLaren scored 73 points while the other Sauber scored just 6, so there is absolutely no question which car was superior.

There's a reason why Renault chased after Hulkenberg when they needed someone to lead them. He was also very close to signing for Ferrari a few years earlier but things just never fell into place for him. So much of an F1 driver's success is down to being in the right place at the right time, and Hulkenberg just missed out on ever being in a car that could compete unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

This is it wrote: »
    That's two weeks now we've seen this with Norris, surely he can't be the only one receiving instructions to this extent? Is it a case that the others just aren't shown?

FWIW I've no issue with it at all.

Same. Lando still had to put the car where it was supposed to be and do the actual driving. The 'coaching' is on all the lights and switches that drivers didn't have to worry about in Schumacher or Senna's time

Advertisement