Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh right so the arguments that cars are bad for society were not made.

Anyway I think some here should watch car adds to see what it works. They show cars driving on open empty roads, happy families going and kids behaving at the back of the car. We all know this is far from reality of every day driving for majority of people. Cycling is sold to people in this thread by telling them how they are killers driving three tonne killing machines and suffocating everyone around them. And then you wonder why it doesn't work.

Oh you'll love this one:

https://youtu.be/kMpqVfnuyII

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Oh you'll love this one:

https://youtu.be/kMpqVfnuyII

I presume that's the add that was banned in France (I don't do u tube during work and rarely outside work). It might actually work for target market of people who are prepared to spend a lot on a bike but I think you are trying to persuade families and people to commute this kind of preaching doesn't work.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I presume that's the add that was banned in France (I don't do u tube during work and rarely outside work). It might actually work for target market of people who are prepared to spend a lot on a bike but I think you are trying to persuade families and people to commute this kind of preaching doesn't work.

TBH I hope everyone buys cars! I love traffic! (As long as I’m not stuck in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can't wait for the traffic Armageddon when I start back on my cycle commute on 20th July. Much safer cycling beside stationary traffic.

Agree! With less traffic on the roads, I found cars were speeding a lot more! It made close passes even worse! Bring back gridlock! The sooner the better! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

It seems over on the aul FB "Dublin parking clowns" page that it's ok for a delivery driver

1) park on a single yellow (picture taken between 7am and 7pm)
    2) on a footpath
    3) blocking the entrance to a funeral home.
    4) opposite a continuous white line and
    5) on a bend

The person who took the picture getting the brunt of the abuse.

Apparently if you're a delivery drive you can park anywhere you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Nothing better than cycling home past all the cars stuck in traffic. ............so long suckers

I'll be at home in no time sitting on the couch with a cup of tea and a biscuit and you'll all still be stuck in traffic.

micar wrote: »
    Nothing better than cycling home past all the cars stuck in traffic. ............so long suckers

I'll be at home in no time sitting on the couch with a cup of tea and a biscuit and you'll all still be stuck in traffic.

Joking aside, it will be interesting to see what traffic is like once the summer is over, schools are back open, dark evenings etc.

All these new cycle lanes combined with people working from home should mean less cars our roads. But, with reduced capacity on public transport and the need to transport Kids to/from school? only time will tell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well, I know that if I break a red light in my car, there's an excellent chance it'll be on camera and my reg plate will be visible.

How are we on cyclists having reg plates?

Yeah, not so much. So how do they get caught, exactly?

Excellent chance? There are no red light cameras operating in the State. The Gardai gave up dealing with reports from the Luas red light camera because they were so many.

So no, your chances of being caught are negligible.

Gardai don't seem to have any difficulties catching cyclists.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-on-the-spot-fines-issued-to-cyclists-1.3977141

On the broader issues, here's a video representation of the point I was making to Sean earlier about the acceptability of road deaths.

https://twitter.com/fietsprofessor/status/1281216319044624384?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd missed that claim. to be fair, if you're a motorist, the chances of you being caught on camera running a red are 'excellent'.
    in fact, i'd go so far as to say that it's *perfect* for motorists who run reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So who is taking this sort of thing on?

See it everyday , multiple times.

Cars , vans and trucks in cycle lanes ,bus stops and footpaths.

You also see Garda drive right by it. Even cycle mounted Garda.

It seems that hazard lights seem to make it "not an offence"

there was a bit of a false dawn a couple of years ago when charlie flanagan's daughter - who i believe was cycling to college - tackled her dad on the topic, and he announced there was going to be a clampdown, called the gardai in to discuss how to do this... and nothing happened.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I just realised that the opening post in this thread (which appears to have become a toxic mix of echo chamber and circle jerk) was posted by a clear troll, and is a clear troll post.

/thread?

It is not your job to moderate this thread. Back seat moderation and discussion of moderation on the forum is against the charter which applies to this forum.

If you have a problem with a post then please report it and the moderators will review it as soon as they are able to do so and take action if we have found the charter has been breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Look at all those footpath hogging cyclists:

https://twitter.com/Pidge/status/1281621235865190406

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Thargor wrote: »
    Look at all those footpath hogging cyclists:

https://twitter.com/Pidge/status/1281621235865190406

What is the point of these types of ridiculous posts? I've seen it a few times on here.
    No one on here has said cars don't park on footpaths, its annoying when they do, and those cars in the above picture are arseholes,but being all smug about it and posting ridiculous comments like look at all these cyclists on footpaths and then showing a picture of cars on footpaths what's the point of it?
    I really don't get it.

FinnC wrote: »
    What is the point of these types of ridiculous posts? I've seen it a few times on here.
    No one on here has said cars don't park on footpaths, its annoying when they do, and those cars in the above picture are arseholes,but being all smug about it and posting ridiculous comments like look at all these cyclists on footpaths and then showing a picture of cars on footpaths what's the point of it?
    I really don't get it.

The point is to highlight just how ridiculous the "problem" of cyclists cycling on the pavement is! It's a minor irritation, nothing more.

Pavements being blocked by cars on the other hand is rampant and is a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

On the broader issues, here's a video representation of the point I was making to Sean earlier about the acceptability of road deaths.
    That video was among the lamest, cheapest piece of propaganda I've ever seen. No country has zero road deaths, aside from the tiny micro-state of Monaco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

The point is to highlight just how ridiculous the "problem" of cyclists cycling on the pavement is! It's a minor irritation, nothing more.

Pavements being blocked by cars on the other hand is rampant and is a major problem.

Nope, its whataboutery is what it is.

Cars parking on footpaths is a major problem alright but using it as an example so you can condone cycling on footpaths is just plain old whataboutery.
    I don't particularly care about cyclist's on footpaths to be honest, once they go around me and don't expect me to move then meh I could care less but that doesn't mean they should be there or that someone else may find them more than a slight irritation.
    I agree with the poster, those type of smug posts are ridiculous.
    Those cars in the park today were a disagrace alright before anyone thinks I'm condoning it <insert rolling eyes emoji>

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    That video was among the lamest, cheapest piece of propaganda I've ever seen. No country has zero road deaths, aside from the tiny micro-state of Monaco.

I thought you'd like it all right.

tenor.gif?itemid=7356334

The fact that no country has zero road deaths, or indeed, any realistic hope of getting to zero road deaths any time soon does not change the level of what is acceptable.

The fact that no country has zero road deaths, or indeed, any realistic hope of getting to zero road deaths any time soon does not change the level of what is acceptable.
    So, you concede that a zero-standard is impossible (at least in the near term) but still claim that any fatalities are "not acceptable?" It sounds like your problem is with reality.

Of course if you could just wave a magic wand and no-one would ever die on the roads ever again while there were no downsides, naturally that option would be taken. Since that's not going to happen, your view of no deaths being "acceptable" is of questionable relevance to say the least, even if your main concern is even road safety to begin with, which is also questionable in light of some of your earlier posts.
    yes, because that's exactly what is being proposed.
    the netherlands is an example which has slid back to the middle ages with their promotion of cycling.
    The Dutch also drive, a lot, and they have lots of roads for driving and trucking. The Dutch have plenty of fietsstrats, but they also have plenty of roads and motorways to accommodate motorists (link) including this beauty.
    The Dutch also have more fatalities than Ireland both per 100,000 people (2.9 vs 3.8) and more fatalities per billion vehicle-kilometres (3.8 Ireland vs 4.7 Netherlands).

I actually agree that we should do a lot more things like the Dutch, they really have figured out some things. But it's not this utopia where everyone cycles everywhere and no-one ever dies on the roads.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Cant find any? Im shocked. Im sure AndrewJRenko will be along shortly with some 4 wheeled examples for you though :pac:
    Would video evidence suffice or does Google need to have caught them in the act?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I thought you'd like it all right.

tenor.gif?itemid=7356334

So have we determined that what is not acceptable is anything above 0?

Or how about cyclists on Sean O'Casey bridge? This poster found something like 41 in 46 minutes, at peak times when I used it, I could find 4 in the 1 minute or so that it would take me to cross.

And there's plenty of signage to tell cyclists that it's illegal to cycle on the bridge, but more signage is often required to replace that which gets defaced/vandalised, most likely by people who don't like the law restricting cyclists from the bridge.

You want to know why motorists aren't keen to take lectures on "obeying the law" from cyclists? It's because we have to put up with crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You don't regard cycling on the footpath as a problem.

As a pedestrian who has been hit twice in the last 18 months or so by cyclists on a footpath - I and others do regard it as a problem.

Nearly injured my first ever cyclist while driving a car, yesterday. Although... nah, he nearly damaged my car is a more accurate way of putting it.

In a housing estate, doing about 25, passing a t-junction (I have right of way, a car is stopped waiting to turn right when I pass). Cyclist comes barrelling from side road on the left, on the wrong side of the road, only sees me at the same time as I slam on. He loses control of his bike and he (not the bike) hits my car. If my car hadn't been there, the turning car would have proceeded onto the side road and he would have hit the car head on. No injury to him, and in fairness he's all apologies as he heads away.

Bloke in his 30s, well old enough to know better. Don't know what he was thinking, if he was thinking, But if that had gone another way, it'd be recorded as cyclist killed in a collision with car, with the implication it was the driver's fault.

Or how about cyclists on Sean O'Casey bridge? This poster found something like 41 in 46 minutes, at peak times when I used it, I could find 4 in the 1 minute or so that it would take me to cross.
    If you look closely, you can see the streams of blood dripping down the bridge from all the people that were maimed by those menacing cyclists.
    You want to know why motorists aren't keen to take lectures on "obeying the law" from cyclists? It's because we have to put up with crap like this.

You seem a bit confused. The people on the bridge aren't motorists. They're pedestrians. Yes, I'd guess that some of them are motorists, but they're not motorists on the bridge.

Likewise, I'm not a cyclist now. I haven't mastered the art of cycling while posting on boards, so I'm not a cyclist now while I'm lecturing you. In my life in general, I'm a cyclist, I'm a motorist, I'm a pedestrian, I'm a Luas passenger, I'm a bus passenger, and I'm occasionally a train user.

So will you take lectures from any of those?
    Would video evidence suffice or does Google need to have caught them in the act?
    Dreadful cycling. It also points to the crazy situation of having buses and bikes and taxis indeed sharing lanes like this.
    So, you concede that a zero-standard is impossible (at least in the near term) but still claim that any fatalities are "not acceptable?" It sounds like your problem is with reality.

Of course if you could just wave a magic wand and no-one would ever die on the roads ever again while there were no downsides, naturally that option would be taken. Since that's not going to happen, your view of no deaths being "acceptable" is of questionable relevance to say the least, even if your main concern is even road safety to begin with, which is also questionable in light of some of your earlier posts.
    My problem is indeed with the reality of two or three people being killed on the road each week. Do you seriously not have a problem with that?

And yes, there are many 'magic wand' options available to us, like the speed governors used on buses and trucks - why aren't they fitted on all cars, or at least all new cars? Would that be too much of a 'downside' for you? Why aren't we making better use of tech for dynamic speed limiting, seeing as the average driver clearly couldn't be arsed about speed limits?
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    So have we determined that what is not acceptable is anything above 0?

What is acceptable to you? How many members of your own family are you prepared to sacrifice of the altar fire of making sure motorists don't have to obey speed limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

《snipped》

What is acceptable to you? How many members of your own family are you prepared to sacrifice of the altar fire of making sure motorists don't have to obey speed limits?

Personal level none, reality ALL activities incur some degree of risk.

Should we fence off or cover all areas of water, after all drowning claims 100+ lives per year, should we ban farmers from farming, after all 18 fatalities in 2019, you seem to be infering that a mythical figure of zero is attainable when it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I posted an article about the accident that happened between child cyclist and older woman. Two other cyclists died in preceeding weeks, one went cycling into mountains and was found dead presumably after a fall. Another a man in his 60ies I think was hit by a train at night on protected railway crossing. The last one could be suicide and it's likely alcohol was involved. (A child was also injured but not killed after woman hit him on a road crossing).

It's easy to make simplistic statements about road users and blame everything on the cars and car drivers. Because there are still relatively small numbers cycling it's easy to do that in Ireland but in reality you have to expect reasonably responsible behaviour from all road users.

• Advertisement

You seem a bit confused. The people on the bridge aren't motorists. They're pedestrians. Yes, I'd guess that some of them are motorists, but they're not motorists on the bridge.

Likewise, I'm not a cyclist now. I haven't mastered the art of cycling while posting on boards, so I'm not a cyclist now while I'm lecturing you. In my life in general, I'm a cyclist, I'm a motorist, I'm a pedestrian, I'm a Luas passenger, I'm a bus passenger, and I'm occasionally a train user.

So will you take lectures from any of those?

The pedantry is strong in this one...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement