Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I've been hit twice while on the footpath by cyclists. One young prick ended up in bushes for his trouble. The other wasn't a serious impact, cos I saw it was going to happen and braced. That's two in 18 months. I've never been knocked down by a bike. Nor did I ever say I was.

Several near misses at lights. The rules of the road are for all road users, and are crystal clear: "Stop on red." Not all cyclists do. This is the bit where if we were talking about cars breaking reds, Andy would pull a figure from the air... a "study" that only publishes some of the data collected, and, hmm, yes, is several years old. Guess that's ok for pro-cyclist stuff, though.

A couple of "extra" near misses in the last while, too, as I now don't get out of the way of cyclists, when they cycle towards me on their phone. They're going slow, though, and seem to retain enough peripheral permission to realise there's an obstacle ahead. The reason I'm no longer avoiding them and jumping out of their away? Might be something to do with attitude I see here, where I - a person with friends and family who cycle and who has repeatedly said they support better, separated cycling infrastructure - can get called an exaggerating liar cos it doesn't suit your cyclists-are-all-saints-narrative.

You appear to have issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Out running today,was crossing at a set of lights(I and the others crossing had a green man) and a cyclist decided to keep going through the red he had. Woman with a buggy had to stop or she would have been hit.
    If I was any closer to him I wouldn't have hesitated in pushing him off the bike. Laughed at the youngfella who shouted, did you not see the red light you prick after him, to which the cyclist gave him the finger, the smug bastard.

In other news I enjoyed a lovely cycle yesterday with my 5 year old. Only convinced him to take stabilisers off a few weeks ago and we did 12km yesterday. He was delighted with himself.
    Some great cycle lanes around Lucan to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Casey78 wrote: »
    Out running today,was crossing at a set of lights(I and the others crossing had a green man) and a cyclist decided to keep going through the red he had. Woman with a buggy had to stop or she would have been hit.
    If I was any closer to him I wouldn't have hesitated in pushing him off the bike. Laughed at the youngfella who shouted, did you not see the red light you prick after him, to which the cyclist gave him the finger, the smug bastard.

In other news I enjoyed a lovely cycle yesterday with my 5 year old. Only convinced him to take stabilisers off a few weeks ago and we did 12km yesterday. He was delighted with himself.

Enjoy the cycling with your child. It's socially acceptable for now apparently.

But do be careful to make sure he knocks the oul cycling on the head before he's eighteen (actually not sure of the exact age), because if he doesn't if he's going to undergo a horrible transformation.

Of course, he'll still be the same son you know and love, but because he'll be an adult and using a bike apparently he'll cease to be a person and just become "lawbreaking scum" in the eyes of some people. He'll have to suffer abuse and have his life threatened on a daily basis over nothing by enlightened motorists, but sure that's how we roll here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm inclined to believe the poster as I myself have had a number of near-misses with red light jumping cyclists. But as pedestrians don't usually wear helmet cams, I did not capture these incidents on video. Nor was the Google Street View cam on the scene at the exact moment(s). [sarcasm]So that must mean these incidents did not happen :rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

I only spent a few minutes looking for video examples because I concluded that no amount of evidence would be sufficient, ergo I chose not to waste time on a fools errand. As you continue to remind us, I have been proven to be correct.

Cyclists don't usually wear helmet cams. A tiny number of cyclists wear them, and still manage to find motorists breaking late reds as a matter of routine.

Duckjob wrote: »

But do be careful to make sure he knocks the oul cycling on the head before he's eighteen (actually not sure of the exact age), because if he doesn't if he's going to undergo a horrible transformation.

Of course, he'll still be the same son you know and love, but because he'll be an adult and using a bike apparently he'll cease to be a person and just become "lawbreaking scum" in the eyes of some people. He'll have to suffer abuse and have his life threatened on a daily basis over nothing by enlightened motorists, but sure that's how we roll here.

You have issues you need to work through.
    I'm not the person to help you though as I don't care.

• Advertisement

You have issues you need to work through.
    I'm not the person to help you though as I don't care.

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Duckjob wrote: »

U ok hun xxx

ewc78 wrote: »
    U ok hun xxx

I'm fine babes.

I'm afraid I can't dumb down my post for you because I can't be arsed. But I'm sure you'll get the point someday. Keep at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

How'd you convince the young fella? My lad is 6 and refuses to let me take them off his bike.

How'd you convince the young fella? My lad is 6 and refuses to let me take them off his bike.

Ha, didn't so much convince him truth be told, it was more I took off the stabilisers with much protests from himself and then told him he was coming out with me to spend a couple of hours going up and down the cul de sac until he got it.
    In fairness he got it pretty quickly once he got a bit of confidence.
    He's delighted with himself now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one option might be - if the stabilisers allow - to angle them backwards, so only one stabiliser wheel can be in contact with the ground, and only if there's a little bit of lean to the bike?
    he might realise he's cycling along without the stabiliser wheels touching the ground, so you've not actually removed the stabilisers but can slowly reduce their functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Chiparus wrote: »
    You appear to have issues.

Oh, yeah, I do. Muppets and inconsiderate **** on footpaths who think I should get out of their way is one of my issues. Muppets on here full of whataboutery, who think they're above the law is another.

My taking out my frustration on the first group because of the bull**** coming from the keyboards of the second group is not big or clever, but hey, apparently it's cool now not to give a **** about anyone else.

Cyclists don't usually wear helmet cams. A tiny number of cyclists wear them, and still manage to find motorists breaking late reds as a matter of routine.

Actually the number of cyclists wearing headcams is at 21.08% and rising. 26.24% if you count go-pros!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I've been hit twice while on the footpath by cyclists. One young prick ended up in bushes for his trouble. The other wasn't a serious impact, cos I saw it was going to happen and braced. That's two in 18 months. I've never been knocked down by a bike. Nor did I ever say I was.

Several near misses at lights. The rules of the road are for all road users, and are crystal clear: "Stop on red." Not all cyclists do. This is the bit where if we were talking about cars breaking reds, Andy would pull a figure from the air... a "study" that only publishes some of the data collected, and, hmm, yes, is several years old. Guess that's ok for pro-cyclist stuff, though.

A couple of "extra" near misses in the last while, too, as I now don't get out of the way of cyclists, when they cycle towards me on their phone. They're going slow, though, and seem to retain enough peripheral permission to realise there's an obstacle ahead. The reason I'm no longer avoiding them and jumping out of their away? Might be something to do with attitude I see here, where I - a person with friends and family who cycle and who has repeatedly said they support better, separated cycling infrastructure - can get called an exaggerating liar cos it doesn't suit your cyclists-are-all-saints-narrative.
    Oh, yeah, I do. Muppets and inconsiderate **** on footpaths who think I should get out of their way is one of my issues. Muppets on here full of whataboutery, who think they're above the law is another.

My taking out my frustration on the first group because of the bull**** coming from the keyboards of the second group is not big or clever, but hey, apparently it's cool now not to give a **** about anyone else.
    Well that all sounds perfectly healthy and not deranged in the slightest!

HaYP5Pv.gif

Thargor wrote: »

What's "deranged" about not getting out of the way of some muppet too engrossed in his phone to look where he's going, knowing he's going to get a start and possibly drop his phone? It's amusing.

What actually would be deranged would be getting hit twice by muppets on bikes, while on the footpath, and thinking ah, sure that's grand, the roads are too dangerous for them, I'll shut up and never mention it again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

HaYP5Pv.gif

You all need to calm down and cut out the name calling.

What's "deranged" about not getting out of the way of some muppet too engrossed in his phone to look where he's going, knowing he's going to get a start and possibly drop his phone? It's amusing.

What actually would be deranged would be getting hit twice by muppets on bikes, while on the footpath, and thinking ah, sure that's grand, the roads are too dangerous for them, I'll shut up and never mention it again.
    Well when you consider the vast vast majority of pedestrians manage to get around their whole lives without any interaction with a cyclist positive or negative and you're out ther getting knocked down regularly when you're not standing your ground against oncoming cyclists or as you admit in the post below "taking out your frustrations" on some innocents because of the actions of others on a regular basis it really doesnt sound like healthy behaviour, maybe something for you to examine yourself:

Well when you consider the vast vast majority of pedestrians manage to get around their whole lives without any interaction with a cyclist positive or negative and you're out ther getting knocked down regularly when you're not standing your ground against oncoming cyclists or as you admit in the post below "taking out your frustrations" on some innocents because of the actions of others on a regular basis it really doesnt sound like healthy behaviour, maybe something for you to examine yourself:

Once again, I have never been knocked down by a cyclist. I have been hit twice by cyclists in around 18 months.

And the taking out your frustrations on one group based on the actions of another, how does that work? Sounds interesting and totally normal...

And the taking out your frustrations on one group based on the actions of another, how does that work? Sounds interesting and totally normal...

Asked and answered...

• Advertisement

Asked and answered...
    No you didn't...:confused:

Actually the number of cyclists wearing headcams is at 21.08% and rising. 26.24% if you count go-pros!

I know well that you're taking the pi$$, but you could reduce those numbers by an order of magnitude and it would still be a huge overestimate.

Before lockdown, I would see maybe one other cyclist with camera each month. I'm sure I missed a few, particularly those mounted on the handlebars, but they are still few and far between.

I know well that you're taking the pi$$, but you could reduce those numbers by an order of magnitude and it would still be a huge overestimate.

Before lockdown, I would see maybe one other cyclist with camera each month. I'm sure I missed a few, particularly those mounted on the handlebars, but they are still few and far between.

I (before lockdown) saw them almost daily, they're getting quite common. Headcams only, I've never noticed one on handlebars.

But then I see cyclists on footpaths, and you don't, and I see cyclists breaking reds after 15 and 20 seconds, and you don't, so maybe we're focusing at different parts of the public thoroughfare. Though I do also see lots of badly and illegally parked cars and cars breaking reds in the first couple of seconds after the lights turn red.

https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1284563453462618113

"At the end of the day, nobody was hurt."

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

https://twitter.com/LukeB_MTB/status/1283755790193643520?s=20

https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1284563453462618113

"At the end of the day, nobody was hurt."

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.
    All that pic proved was that people sometimes do stupid things. Which will come as a surprise to precisely nobody.

I'm sure in Andy's mind it proves something else, but what that might be I shouldn't be asking :rolleyes:

SeanW wrote: »
    All that pic proved was that people sometimes do stupid things. Which will come as a surprise to precisely nobody.

I'm sure in Andy's mind it proves something else, but what that might be I shouldn't be asking :rolleyes:

Are you sure you're not talking about this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yet another very rare car rollover! The sooner drivers are required to wear helmets ( and have roll cages fitted) ... after all if it saves one life!

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/status/1285316479802642432?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yet another very rare car rollover! The sooner drivers are required to wear helmets ( and have roll cages fitted) ... after all if it saves one life!

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/status/1285316479802642432?s=21
    Ok I detect sarcasm, but can you elucidate on your point here, I literally don't understand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement