Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

Because there were no tickets on windscreens. Because they are there every time I come past, obviously residents' cars mostly, with loads of space on their driveways, but they take public space because it's slightly more convenient.

**** me, really? Tickets haven't been put on windscreens in over a decade. They are digitally issued from a central office. So the short answer is, you don't know. You incorrectly presumed.

Next time, call the traffic watch number but if they continue to park they after getting tickets, then you need the penalty changed and considering I'm still waiting on something approaching an actual solution from you, I won't hold my breath.

quote="Hurrache;113938272"]But that's not true at all. You simply have cycle lanes either on or alongside the road and you just don't paint yield signs on the cycle lane at every entrance. The best thing to do is take them off what are basically footpaths altogether to remove that conflict with traffic coming from side roads, drives, etc.[/quote]

That's exactly what I meant. By separated, I means a lip or bollards, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

**** me, really? Tickets haven't been put on windscreens in over a decade. They are digitally issued from a central office. So the short answer is, you don't know. You incorrectly presumed.

Really? It looks like these people got tickets on their windscreens about two months ago.

https://twitter.com/DarinaNiC/status/1259089111794831360
    Next time, call the traffic watch number but if they continue to park they after getting tickets, then you need the penalty changed and considering I'm still waiting on something approaching an actual solution from you, I won't hold my breath.

Your trust in the Traffic Watch response time is quite touching. For a start, it is often difficult to get through to TrafficWatch, with wait times of 10 or 20 minutes, or just getting cut off after 30 minutes.

Responses from the local stations are usually measured in weeks, rather than days, so there's a fair chance that the parked cars will not be there by the time I get a response. I've had a couple of recent experiences with TrafficWatch with Gardai apologising for taking months to get back to me and explaining that they were unable to issue FCPN or demand that the owner identify the driver because of the delay.

Let me give you an example of very real experiences trying to get the authorities to deal with illegal parking.

When Pure Fitout were fitting out the new Devlin Hotel in Ranelagh 2 or 3 years back, the same set of NI-reg cars were parked on the Clearway from McSorley's down to Tesco all day, from 8am onwards, with many of them still there at 6pm.

So I started calling the DSPS clampers, until I worked out that they took hours to respond, so they missed the morning and evening Clearway time limits. So I called the Gardai - Donnybrook station - each time I passed, telling them how many times I had called previously. I emailed the station. I emailed the then Garda Traffic Unit. I had calls back from the Traffic folks and the Sergeant apologising and telling me how hard they were working.

The solution was fairly obvious - for them to do a concerted campaign of calling to the same spot at the same time every day, ticketing, and if necessary, clamping under Garda supervision to make sure the builders didn't take an angle grinder to the clamp, or even towing. Whatever it takes.

But they didn't - and the illegal parking went on for months, for the best part of a year, pushing cyclists out into traffic, forcing buses to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic, all because a private building firm had set up contractors to use public space to store their private property.

If you think parking issues like this are solved with a phone call, you're not living in the real world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

problem is, as mentioned, in ireland, being able to park your car on the street is seen as a right. an example this has been reported several times by several people AFAIK - there is a car or cars parked *permanently* and completely on the footpath, and beside the anchor pole for that sign, and nothing is ever done.
    there's an underground car park in that apartment block. motorists complain if there's a clampdown on parking. retailers complain if there's a clampdown on parking. and the local authorities just give up because it's not worth the hassle.
    i forgot the link.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3900894,-6.2642361,3a,75y,153.61h,88.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suhHYu_up3tevba30-2hj_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So? It can be done if there is a will. People will change their habits if council enforces it (no point expecting Gardai to deal with that). Saying that Irish are used of that is bs. People break the rules if they are let to do it. Dublin is not run well, there is lack of imagination and lack of desire to do anything but Irish are just as able to understand where not to park as any other nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Really? It looks like these people got tickets on their windscreens about two months ago.
    This will be music to your ears :-)
    I (allegedly) got a ticket on the windscreen, but did get a snail mail letter advising me to pay or would get additional fine - by the time I got the letter the date had elapsed and would have to pay the fine. They wouldn't have it and I could have gone the legal route but decided life's too short, which is probably what they hope people will do.
    so as of ~ 2 years back they *should be" ticketing windscreens but they may scam you and leave it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I (allegedly) got a ticket on the windscreen, but did get a snail mail letter advising me to pay or would get additional fine - by the time I got the letter the date had elapsed and would have to pay the fine. They wouldn't have it and I could have gone the legal route but decided life's too short, which is probably what they hope people will do.
    so as of ~ 2 years back they *should be" ticketing windscreens but they may scam you and leave it off.

They don't glue them to the windscreen, though... sometimes they get removed.

https://twitter.com/DarinaNiC/status/1259089111794831360

Your trust in the Traffic Watch response time is quite touching. For a start, it is often difficult to get through to TrafficWatch, with wait times of 10 or 20 minutes, or just getting cut off after 30 minutes.

Responses from the local stations are usually measured in weeks, rather than days, so there's a fair chance that the parked cars will not be there by the time I get a response. I've had a couple of recent experiences with TrafficWatch with Gardai apologising for taking months to get back to me and explaining that they were unable to issue FCPN or demand that the owner identify the driver because of the delay.

Let me give you an example of very real experiences trying to get the authorities to deal with illegal parking.

When Pure Fitout were fitting out the new Devlin Hotel in Ranelagh 2 or 3 years back, the same set of NI-reg cars were parked on the Clearway from McSorley's down to Tesco all day, from 8am onwards, with many of them still there at 6pm.

So I started calling the DSPS clampers, until I worked out that they took hours to respond, so they missed the morning and evening Clearway time limits. So I called the Gardai - Donnybrook station - each time I passed, telling them how many times I had called previously. I emailed the station. I emailed the then Garda Traffic Unit. I had calls back from the Traffic folks and the Sergeant apologising and telling me how hard they were working.

The solution was fairly obvious - for them to do a concerted campaign of calling to the same spot at the same time every day, ticketing, and if necessary, clamping under Garda supervision to make sure the builders didn't take an angle grinder to the clamp, or even towing. Whatever it takes.

But they didn't - and the illegal parking went on for months, for the best part of a year, pushing cyclists out into traffic, forcing buses to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic, all because a private building firm had set up contractors to use public space to store their private property.

If you think parking issues like this are solved with a phone call, you're not living in the real world.

I give up. You haven't provided a single idea about how to solve anything, just complained that nothing's good enough while mixing in some smart arse comments.

By the way, Gardai don't work for the council. The tweet is a council ticket. Gardai do not put tickets on windows so again, you don't know if one had Ben issued or not and you don't know if a Garda had attended the scene or not unless you are insane enough to sit there all day.

So, you didn't get a ticket on your windscreen?

Gardai don't issue on the spot tickets. I have the book, there's no tickets in it. They are posted out and have been for years now, at least 10.

Yraffic have a digital system and again, it doesn't print a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Another example of a good running track! :)

https://twitter.com/jessieennis/status/1280197754590027779?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So, you didn't get a ticket on your windscreen?

Gardai don't issue on the spot tickets. I have the book, there's no tickets in it. They are posted out and have been for years now, at least 10.

Yraffic have a digital system and again, it doesn't print a ticket.

Though as confirmed above, Council wardens do give tickets.
    I give up. You haven't provided a single idea about how to solve anything, just complained that nothing's good enough while mixing in some smart arse comments.

By the way, Gardai don't work for the council. The tweet is a council ticket. Gardai do not put tickets on windows so again, you don't know if one had Ben issued or not and you don't know if a Garda had attended the scene or not unless you are insane enough to sit there all day.

There's a fair assumption that the cars weren't ticketed, because they were still there the next day, and the next day and today.

Here's one possible solution - if someone rings the station 15 or 20 times reporting the same illegal issue over a month or two, then the Gardai should take some effective action to solve the problem. Is that too much to ask?
    Pretty much the point we've been making about cyclists on footpaths, too. You may finally be getting it?

I got it from day one. I understand fully that cyclists on the footpath are potentially a danger, especially to vulnerable road users. My main point is the frequency of pavement parking makes it a much more persistent problem for those same vulnerable road users, but doesn't seem to get attention in discussions like this at all. It's strange how some people are so focused on one particular form of obstruction, while happy to turn a blind eye to much bigger issues.

• Advertisement

I got it from day one. I understand fully that cyclists on the footpath are potentially a danger, especially to vulnerable road users. My main point is the frequency of pavement parking makes it a much more persistent problem for those same vulnerable road users, but doesn't seem to get attention in discussions like this at all. It's strange how some people are so focused on one particular form of obstruction, while happy to turn a blind eye to much bigger issues.

Your posts did not come across that way. At all. In fact, the instant "whataboutery" and deflection gave entirely the opposite impression.

Personally, though, I can recognise Problem A and complain about it on here. And also recognise Problem B, and post photos of offending cars to @YPLAC on Twitter or Dublin's Cycling Clowns on Facebook. I used to regularly report the illegal buslane/path/cyclelane parking at nearby sports pitches - despite there being a car park literally 20 seconds walk away! - but I no longer have to do that because DCC put in bollards to prevent the parking. They shouldn't have had to.

But yeah, it is strange how someone can come to a thread about cycling on paths, and do little else but post photos of cars, and turn a blind eye to the actual topic.

I'm posting a goggle translate of an article linked bellow. I'm not really making a point because this is freaky accident, I just found it interesting and it's vaguely related to safety issues discussed. However it does illustrate all road users need to act responsibly.
    A bicycle accident took place in Maribor on Friday, and today the Maribor police announced that a 76-year-old participant in the accident had died.

The accident happened when a seven-year-old child was cycling on a concrete platform between apartment blocks on Staneta Severja Street in Maribor. At the end of the platform, he drove along the concrete stairs down a grassy embankment to an asphalt pedestrian area. Just then, a 76-year-old cyclist rode there. The child crashed his bike into her right hip and they both fell.

The cyclist was seriously injured, she was transported by ambulance to the Maribor University Medical Center, and today it was announced that she had died.

Police officers will carry out misdemeanor proceedings against both the cyclist and the child's mother. The cyclist was not allowed to cycle on the pedestrian area, and the child did not have a flawless bicycle and had not yet passed the cycling exam. Neither of them used a bicycle helmet.
    source: https://www.delo.si/novice/crna-kronika/kolesarka-umrla-v-bolnisnici-327889.html
    Just a note: kids are not allowed to cycle unaccompanied without passing cycling test (bike control and basic rules of the road) and they have to wear helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow just when you think you've seen barrel-scraping...

Thargor wrote: »

What? I'm Slovenian. This was just freaky news article I came across when checking Covid numbers (my family and friends still live there).

I deeply apologise for linking a news article that doesn't suit a narrative you want to portray.

meeeeh wrote: »
    What? I'm Slovenian. This was just freaky news article I came across when checking Covid numbers (my family and friends still live there).

I deeply apologise for linking a news article that doesn't suit a narrative you want to portray.

Tragic incident RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

There's a fair assumption that the cars weren't ticketed, because they were still there the next day, and the next day and today.
    Just like the red light jumping cyclists on the footpath then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

SeanW wrote: »
    Just like the red light jumping cyclists on the footpath then.

Red lights on a footpath......that's a new one.

Where do you find these?

micar wrote: »
    Red lights on a footpath......that's a new one.

Where do you find these?

If you travel back enough pages, I've recounted standing at the corner of Stephen's Green and Grafton Street and seeing cyclists come the wrong way down the one-way street, go through the pedestrian lights on red, and cycle off down the footpath of either Grafton Street or Stephen's Green. They also come the other way, legally, through the lights, and continue down pedestrianised King Street.

So yeah. That.

I've often mentioned here that my mother was knocked down (thankfully just a few scrapes) by a cyclist in a pedestrian area in Dublin. I think the poster showed what can happen if it turns into a freak accident.

If you travel back enough pages, I've recounted standing at the corner of Stephen's Green and Grafton Street and seeing cyclists come the wrong way down the one-way street, go through the pedestrian lights on red, and cycle off down the footpath of either Grafton Street or Stephen's Green. They also come the other way, legally, through the lights, and continue down pedestrianised King Street.

So yeah. That.

The lights you refer to are lights that bisect a road.

To go from one footpath to another you have to cross the road......a pedestrian crossing.

I've never seen pedestrians wait anywhere around St Stephens / Grafton St except to cross the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

I've often mentioned here that my mother was knocked down (thankfully just a few scrapes) by a cyclist in a pedestrian area in Dublin. I think the poster showed what can happen if it turns into a freak accident.

I actually crashed into a cyclists in s similar way with my bike when I was 13 or so (completely my fault). He was training for a local amateur event and I think I did enough damage he had to skip it. It was not on walking paths or anything and I am not blaming people involved in the case above but it does show you why some sort of order on the roads and around them is needed.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I actually crashed into a cyclists in s similar way with my bike when I was 13 or so (completely my fault). He was training for a local amateur event and I think I did enough damage he had to skip it. It was not on walking paths or anything and I am not blaming people involved in the case above but it does show you why some sort of order on the roads and around them is needed.
    I got away with all my cycling madness, just a few scrapes. Worst fall was riding over the neighbours dog which flipped me sideways, I had to pull out the road chippings from my hip.. Also had a biggish crash off a motorbike, I remember seeing the bike flying through the air beside me. Bike was fvcked up, but yet again I was grand. It is always a role of the dice, another friend of mine dropped his motorbike and went under a truck. His head stopped half a metre from the wheel of the truck. Another friend lost an eye and had serious brain injury after cycling head on into a truck.
    Stuff happens, or not.

See deh cYClistz iz just as bAD Joe!

Some cyclists drive SUV’s!

https://twitter.com/dee62412965/status/1280519514883600384?s=21

micar wrote: »
    The lights you refer to are lights that bisect a road.

To go from one footpath to another you have to cross the road......a pedestrian crossing.

I've never seen pedestrians wait anywhere around St Stephens / Grafton St except to cross the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The lights are pedestrian lights. I said that in my post.

Is that a poor attempt at foreign accent or just piss poor attempt to brand anyone whose post you don't approve off as a bit dim-witted?

The lights are pedestrian lights. I said that in my post.

I responded to a post by SeanW which you responded

What he said was "Just like the red light jumping cyclists on the footpath then"

My point is that there is no footpath with red lights.

There are cyclist who break red lights......there are cyclist who cycle on a footpath......

It's two separate actions.

There isn't 1 single action of a cyclist cycling throught z red light on a footpath.

There are motorists who park on a footpath......there are motorists who park on a double yellow line ........ 2 separate actions.

However, there are motorists who park on a footpath and on a double yellow........2 actions in 1 event

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

And yet cyclists do both (red light jumping, and also riding on the footpath) with regularity and abandon. And yes, sometimes motorists are also inconsiderate.

SeanW wrote: »
    And yet cyclists do both (red light jumping, and also riding on the footpath) with regularity and abandon. And yes, sometimes motorists are also inconsiderate.
    Come on now you can do it, consult your notes, what is the difference in consequences between someone doing something inconsiderate on a 15KG bicycle at 15 kph vs someone doing something inconsiderate in a 2000KG car at 80 kph?

We all believe in you Sean, make the leap...

• Advertisement

Come on now you can do it, consult your notes, what is the difference in consequences between someone doing something inconsiderate on a 15KG bicycle at 15 kph vs someone doing something inconsiderate in a 2000KG car at 80 kph?

We all believe in you Sean, make the leap...

you too! you can do it man! What happens if a cyclist on a 15kg bike goes through a red light and is hit by 2000kg car?

Literally 2 days ago, kid cycles in front of me as I move off at a green light. Luckily I saw him emerge in front of car to my right in time to stop.
    Little dope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement