Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ok I detect sarcasm, but can you elucidate on your point here, I literally don't understand

The point is cars do rollover and head injuries are much more common in car accidents than bike accidents. (It was previously stated that motorists don’t need helmets because they have seat belts/ airbags etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is equivalent of Muslim threads in AH. The more people get injured/killed more delightful arguments can be made.

All this is done by the same people who count RIPs in the readers comments. It stinks of hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Casey78 wrote: »
    meeeeh wrote: »
    This is equivalent of Muslim threads in AH. The more people get injured/killed more delightful arguments can be made.

All this is done by the same people who count RIPs in the readers comments. It stinks of hypocrisy.
    Well said, imagine taking pleasure from reading a story about an old man getting knocked down and killed then gleefully reposting it in this thread to make some idiotic anti-cycling point? Sad...

Thargor wrote: »
    Well said, imagine taking pleasure from reading a story about an old man getting knocked down and killed then gleefully reposting it in this thread to make some idiotic anti-cycling point? Sad...

I bet it took long to come up with such a witty reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, I hope they find the guy too. Just as I hope they find the 5,000 people who committed these hits-and-runs in London

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-38063443

Funny how you don't hear too much about the five people killed by motorists in the UK that same day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

The Whataboutery took longer to come than I expected:D

https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1284563453462618113

"At the end of the day, nobody was hurt."

Reminds me of this guy :)
    https://youtu.be/PxkPNykaMA0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The point is cars do rollover and head injuries are much more common in car accidents than bike accidents. (It was previously stated that motorists don’t need helmets because they have seat belts/ airbags etc.)

Good to see you advocating ridding the world of "standard" bicycles and pushing for these

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/bicycle-with-roll-cage-could-save-your-life-in-a-car-crash/
    babel-bike.jpg

Imagine the number of cyclist deaths and injuries we could save, even more with wearing helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

ewc78 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this guy :)
    https://youtu.be/PxkPNykaMA0

Maybe if the traffic light had been wearing hi viz the cyclist might have noticed it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

More common than is not the same as common.

I doubt it's common at all for a motorist to suffer a head injury where the car's structural design, a seat belt and airbag are literally of no use whatsoever but a little plastic helmet would have made all the difference? In fact, I'd suggest it's rare.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Umm ... have you read literally any of this thread? Cyclists using other people's misfortune to push an anti-motorist agenda has been pretty much S.O.P.

But hey, I'm sure if Andy had his way and motorists had to get out of their cars to push "beg" buttons at every junction, the cyclist might have looked where he was going and not killed the pedestrian. :rolleyes:

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Good to see you advocating ridding the world of "standard" bicycles and pushing for these

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/bicycle-with-roll-cage-could-save-your-life-in-a-car-crash/
    babel-bike.jpg

Imagine the number of cyclist deaths and injuries we could save, even more with wearing helmets

Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m pushing for ;)

SeanW wrote: »
    More common than is not the same as common.

I doubt it's common at all for a motorist to suffer a head injury where the car's structural design, a seat belt and airbag are literally of no use whatsoever but a little plastic helmet would have made all the difference? In fact, I'd suggest it's rare.

Umm ... have you read literally any of this thread? Cyclists using other people's misfortune to push an anti-motorist agenda has been pretty much S.O.P.

But hey, I'm sure if Andy had his way and motorists had to get out of their cars to push "beg" buttons at every junction, the cyclist might have looked where he was going and not killed the pedestrian. :rolleyes:

Agree plastic hats are not very effective, yet the RSA and Co. Keep pedalling this ****e to cyclists. Go figure eh?

You doubt head injuries are common in car accidents? Really?

Agree plastic hats are not very effective, yet the RSA and Co. Keep pedalling this ****e to cyclists. Go figure eh?
    It's a suggestion, you're free to ignore it. But as a cyclist, you have less protection than a motorist in the event of an accident. That's just a fact.
    You doubt head injuries are common in car accidents? Really?
    Never said that, rather than modern cars are structurally designed to protect their occupants in case of a crash (things like crumple zones), have seat belts and (for the driver and front seat passenger) airbags.

If all of those fail, then a little helmet isn't likely to make any difference. A helmet is just for if you don't have anything else to protect you.

It's a suggestion, you're free to ignore it. But as a cyclist, you have less protection than a motorist in the event of an accident. That's just a fact.

Never said that, rather than modern cars are structurally designed to protect their occupants in case of a crash (things like crumple zones), have seat belts and (for the driver and front seat passenger) airbags.

If all of those fail, then a little helmet isn't likely to make any difference. A helmet is just for if you don't have anything else to protect you.

That's very true. if a car driver hits a cyclists, the car driver and passengers will be fine. the cyclist on the other hand... well the plastic hat is better than nothing right?

That's very true. if a car driver hits a cyclists, the car driver and passengers will be fine. the cyclist on the other hand... we'll the plastic hat is better than nothing right?

And exactly the same if cyclist hits a car. In general (but not always) the cyclists will be worse off. I don't overly care if adults (who are not close to me) don't wear seat belts when driving or helmets when cycling. It won't be me feeding them with the spoon for the rest of their lives. However I find it absolutely despicable when children are not protected properly.

And exactly the same if cyclist hits a car. In general (but not always) the cyclists will be worse off. .

Agreed... So its better the two never meet and we all agree that helmets are useless for Motorists and cyclists? Finally something we all agree on! ;)

Agreed... So its better the two never meet and we all agree that helmets are useless for Motorists and cyclists? Finally something we all agree on! ;)

As I said I don't overly care as it won't be me wiping the drool and whatever else.

I always wear helmet, not because I think it's always needed but because I want kids to always wear it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

As I said I don't overly care as it won't be me wiping the drool and whatever else.

I always wear helmet, not because I think it's always needed but because I want kids to always wear it.

You want kids to wear a plastic hat that you agree is useless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Wow, lets make joggers our next target, god knows they're also the same amount of pest!

That's very true. if a car driver hits a cyclists, the car driver and passengers will be fine. the cyclist on the other hand... well the plastic hat is better than nothing right?
    Well, accidents involving cyclist have a variety of causes.

Sometimes, as you suggest, accidents are caused by motorists negligently hitting cyclists.

It's also likely that in some cases the cyclist precipitated a collision with a motorist, either by crashing into a car or by disobeying a traffic control (e.g. running a red light) and causing a driver to crash into them.
    And of course, we have cases where cyclists crash into stationary objects like parked cars, lamp posts etc.

Collision culpability varies, hence we have things like seat belts and helmets to protect the user in any circumstance. I actually don't care about the legalities of helmets, seat belts etc. I wear a seat belt when I'm driving because it makes sense, regardless of the law. I understand that I might get into an accident that's not my fault. Likewise, I suspect helmets help the cyclist in the case of a low-speed collision. If you don't want to wear a helmet, fine, just as long as you don't complain if you get avoidably hurt.

You want kids to wear a plastic hat that you agree is useless?

I didn't say it's useless. You said that and I'm not going to argue with someone whose actions won't affect me. Yes I insist my kids wear helmet when cycling. I try not to be neglectful parent.

Wow, lets make joggers our next target, god knows they're also the same amount of pest!

Joggers are a pest, especially for us runners..

Don't start me on the walkers blocking the path.

I didn't say it's useless. You said that and I'm not going to argue with someone whose actions won't affect me. Yes I insist my kids wear helmet when cycling. I try not to be neglectful parent.

WARNING: You may get upset if you read this..

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/cycling-with-babies-and-toddlers/

Don't start me on the walkers blocking the path.

Especially those with dogs!!

I wear a seat belt when I'm driving because it makes sense, regardless of the law.

Would you wear a seat belt driving this?

https://www.mascus.ie/agriculture/used-other-agricultural-machines/e-z-go-dark-blue-electric-golf-cart-st6568/j7adg8hd.html

Umm ... that's a golf cart ... for use on golf courses ... at relatively low speeds ...

• Advertisement

I didn't see one picture of kids actually cycling in your link. I don't know about you but I sincerely hope my bike control, awareness and knowledge of road rules is better than that of my kids. Anyway in quite a few countries in Europe helmets are mandatory for kids under 14 or 15. Maybe they are all morons and someone who posts a few links from twitter every so often knows better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement