Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice textured dial on the Samurai Ryath. Any link to where you got the strap?

Yea the dial is lovely I'm a sucker for textured dials, really changes in the light. It's fairly blue under natural light but inside it's dark navy nearly looks black sometimes.

Got the strap on amazon. They do variations for a good few type of Seikos: SKX, Sumo, Turtle etc. Do some for Tudor and Rolex models too.

https://www.crafterblue.com/seiko-rubber-strap

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

New (to me) Seiko Samurai.

It is a lovely watch, but I have an itch for the orange version of it, so if I see one I might flip this one for it.

The Samurai is a lovely watch, and the orange is a great colour (have that and the black). But they missed a trick with having a flat orange dial compared to the lattice effect on the blue and black models. If the orange had that it would be phenomenal. Apparently the pre launch pictures had the lattice/waffle on the orange but it was sadly missing upon release...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

I would to get that GS under the SEM at work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So I wanted a watch similar to my trench watch that I could wear without fear of breaking the lugs. Had a look on ebay and after watching a few watches I didn't particularly want to pay the prices they go for.

Then I spotted a little Russian watch from the 50s.

IMG-20200710-104848.jpg

IMG-20200710-105518.jpg

Got it for about 30 quid, after the seller knocked off 15 as it wasn't running face up when they went to ship it. I've wound it this morning and it's ticking away nicely. Needs new glass and I need to buy a 16 mm strap. Probably needs a service too but I'll keep an eye on the timing once I get a strap.

Its tiny by todays standards. Only 32mm case diameter. Here it is beside my small trench watch.

IMG-20200710-104950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

hitemfrank wrote: »
    So I wanted a watch similar to my trench watch that I could wear without fear of breaking the lugs. Had a look on ebay and after watching a few watches I didn't particularly want to pay the prices they go for.

Got it for about 30 quid, after the seller knocked off 15 as it wasn't running face up when they went to ship it. I've wound it this morning and it's ticking away nicely. Needs new glass and I need to buy a 16 mm strap. Probably needs a service too but I'll keep an eye on the timing once I get a strap.

Its tiny by todays standards. Only 32mm case diameter. Here it is beside my small trench watch.

That's a lovely little watch, I have a real soft spot for vintage soviet watches but the small size puts me off

• Advertisement

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    That's a lovely little watch, I have a real soft spot for vintage soviet watches but the small size puts me off

It's smaller than I was expecting and probably might even look small on my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

The movement looks fantastic in an industrial sort of way. It looks like it would survive a tank driving over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My Seiko Blue Tuna arrived from Japan a few days ago - stuck it on a cheap mesh - there is room for improvement there. See my separate thread if you can help me with any ideas

519443.jpg

Not as blue as I hoped, the dial is more very dark navy most of the time, although yesterday in some very bright sunlight in my conservatory, the blue really came out well. Didn't capture it of course :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »
    My Seiko Blue Tuna arrived from Japan a few days ago - stuck it on a cheap mesh - there is room for improvement there. See my separate thread if you can help me with any ideas

Not as blue as I hoped, the dial is more very dark navy most of the time, although yesterday in some very bright sunlight in my conservatory, the blue really came out well. Didn't capture it of course :o

Congrats Unkel, are you going to use the Japanese day wheel? I don't know what it is about blue watches and sunlight, it's a bit like being at the beach on a sunny day, it sparkles!

We need more pics;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Vostok Amphibia. Changed the orange nato strap for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Both lovely watches,I wonder how many Rubles it cost back then?

s1HD9Kk.jpg

I better keep saving :D

Some really cool Russian watches out there,love to get one myself someday,if only one were for sale now,maybe even a mechanical alarm on a nato ........;) .NO no more watches,have my wrists full at the moment with the Silvo.

Just wondering,fully wound how long does your trench watch last? Thinking about sending mine to Richard Askham or if any other recommendations of watchmakers for this type of watch as 2 hours doesn't seem right.

Some really cool Russian watches out there,love to get one myself someday,if only one were for sale now,maybe even a mechanical alarm on a nato ........;)

I wonder did you spot this one :D

Linky

Nothing to do with me, I've never even heard of that seller

(this might be a lie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I wonder did you spot this one :D

Linky

Nothing to do with me, I've never even heard of that seller

(this might be a lie)

I've been eyeballing that but you've said no post. Lovely watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A Seiko Sportura

Usual chrono arramgement - top sub dial records 10 x 1 min and the bottom one records 10 min slots.

I think I read it's meant to mimic car dials. There's a demo mode f you press and hold the reset button.

519461.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

dudeeile wrote: »
    I've been eyeballing that but you've said no post. Lovely watch though.

Yeah I prefer not to post, some bad experiences in the past. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Yeah I prefer not to post, some bad experiences in the past. Where are you based?

Tipp but no worries, if I'm up your way and you still have I'll be in touch. I'd be lower than asking so that's why I'm not looking for post, it is quite unique so it'll shift no doubt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A Seiko Sportura

Usual chrono arramgement - top sub dial records 10 x 1 min and the bottom one records 10 min slots.

I think I read it's meant to mimic car dials. There's a demo mode f you press and hold the reset button.

]

Dial is a bit overcrowded busy for me.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Probably needs a service too but I'll keep an eye on the timing once I get a strap.

This little Pobeda is still ticking away after being wound yesterday morning. It's lost about 5 minutes so far in 30 hours so once it stops I'll nudge the regulator.

I’m a Breitling fan.

My Navitimer 806, which I bought in 1972.

And my 50th anniversary Navitimer

519578.jpeg

519580.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Spent a few hours in the Atlantic over the weekend. And of course had to take a picture when I got out!

XHqzwhH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I backed my first kickstarter at the weekend

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tc-9watches/tc-9-1970s-bronze-divers-watch?ref=discovery&term=Tc-9

I'm planning to get the green version

I've backed this too and glad to see it reach a stretch goal too :)
    I'm leaning towards blue dial/bezel and as there is a Horween and a rubber already with it now, will throw in the extra £15 to get another 22mm Horween as i dont think I'll ever pick up one that cheap again ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    I've backed this too and glad to see it reach a stretch goal too :)
    I'm leaning towards blue dial/bezel and as there is a Horween and a rubber already with it now, will throw in the extra £15 to get another 22mm Horween as i dont think I'll ever pick up one that cheap again ;)

I forgot to up my pledge to get the extra leather strap but I think I'll drop them an email. Its great value for a Horween strap

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I forgot to up my pledge to get the extra leather strap but I think I'll drop them an email. Its great value for a Horween strap

There's a survey due out in the next few days with dial/bezel/strap/extras all to be finalised on that ;)

Only aware of that because it's in the backer comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Thanks Scwazrh

2gtK6zV.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

NcnNc1D
    Got the polywatch, new strap and gave it a quick clean/polish.
    Cheers for the advice guys, really pleased with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

No clue why I still can't embed images...
    https://imgur.com/gallery/NcnNc1D

MD3AouC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

tedpan wrote: »
    No clue why I still can't embed images...
    https://imgur.com/gallery/NcnNc1D

I like the style

This is my Stowa Chronograph 1938 on a grey leather crocodile strap (not shown : deployant)

nIugzqH.jpg

Comfortable for a chunky watch and wears small (41mm dial).

The numbers/indices on the dial (silver-plated bronze) are emboassed and then diamond cut, which is really nicely done. You can't really see it but there are concentric circles embossed on the subdials, which gives contrast and depth to the dial.

Under the hood (in my watch) is a robust Valjoux 7753. It's nicely decorated. I'll attempt to get a picture of the back of the watch and one showing the work to the sub dials.

They make a black one too, with silver indices.

I wouldn't regard this kind of chrono as a dress watch, strictly, but I often wear it with a suit and tie.

My only criticism is that the case is a bit unrefined, in that it's well finished, nicely polished etc., but its lines are straightforward and a bit slab like. However, it's fair to say that this movement is thick and requires a chunky case. Other manufacturers who used/use it have the same issue.

I bought almost 10 years ago when they were amazing value. I don't know how competive the new prices are, but there is no doubt that you get a quality watch from Stowa. Interestingly (or perhaps very boringly) when they changed the Stowa logo they kept the old one on this model, which was a good choice I think. I think they may have changed how they make the dial a few years ago, with some slightly mixed results, which is a pity if so because this watch is all about the dial.

https://imgur.com/a/PpmZEdz

edit: sorry if this pics is huge - I'm using the BBcode/forums link from imgur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    This is my Stowa Chronograph 1938 on a grey leather crocodile strap (not shown : deployant)

Comfortable for a chunky watch and wears small (41mm dial).

The numbers/indices on the dial (silver-plated bronze) are emboassed and then diamond cut, which is really nicely done. You can't really see it but there are concentric circles embossed on the subdials, which gives contrast and depth to the dial.

Under the hood (in my watch) is a robust Valjoux 7753. It's nicely decorated. I'll attempt to get a picture of the back of the watch and one showing the work to the sub dials.

They make a black one too, with silver indices.

I wouldn't regard this kind of chrono as a dress watch, strictly, but I often wear it with a suit and tie.

My only criticism is that the case is a bit unrefined, in that it's well finished, nicely polished etc., but its lines are straightforward and a bit slab like. However, it's fair to say that this movement is thick and requires a chunky case. Other manufacturers who used/use it have the same issue.

I bought almost 10 years ago when they were amazing value. I don't know how competive the new prices are, but there is no doubt that you get a quality watch from Stowa. Interestingly (or perhaps very boringly) when they changed the Stowa logo they kept the old one on this model, which was a good choice I think. I think they may have changed how they make the dial a few years ago, with some slightly mixed results, which is a pity if so because this watch is all about the dial.

https://imgur.com/a/PpmZEdz

edit: sorry if this pics is huge - I'm using the BBcode/forums link from imgur

That is absolutely beautiful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement