Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

Thanks David. This picture shows the dial off and if you zoom in the work to the sub dials can be seen.

eOaGw2j.jpg

I like that they used indices at 3 and 9 rather than cutting numbers in half the way e.g IWC does. The embossed numbers are done really nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Seen a few of them on adverts and always admired them. They are a fairly big piece though of I recall.

893bet wrote: »
    Seen a few of them on adverts and always admired them. They are a fairly big piece though of I recall.

It's 41mm at the dial, just under 14mm tall. The movement itself (ETA/Valjoux 7753 is 8mm, from memory, so there's no get away from the fact that it's going to be a chunky chronometer.

By way of comparison, a 42mm 2500 caliber Planet Ocean is 14.2mm tall (and obviously 42mm at the dial).

I suspect what you saw on adverts was actually my watch, which I listed for sale a couple of times over the last 5 years but had limited/no real interest at the price I was asking. I never saw another one on adverts.

Edit: I'm just looking at my withdrawn ad now. I actually went down to 1000 for the watch, boxed with papers, plus 2 leather straps with buckle and deployant (the straps alone would be over 100 to buy from Stowa and the grey one is not available). Mine had a full service from Stowa in 2016 including refinishing the case. Stowa were asking for 1930 for a new one then, now gone to over 2k. Got no offers, which I was a little surprised at. I withdrew the add last year, it had been up for a good 12 months.

I was kind of selling off a few watches at that time just to get the numbers down. I think I sold a Stowa Flieger and some nice/interesting Seikos. I would have let the Stowa go with some regrets if I had gotten a quick sale but I'm thinking I'll hold on to it now.

Yup. That’s the one. Still in my watch list!

1k is about right. A 50 percent haircut on the brand new price is standard enough really on any brand that doesn’t start with R.

PO is also too large IMO. 2500 ain’t the worst but the newer calibres are 16-17mm....(8500 series).

Extra Straps and depolyants rarely add as much value as expected. They are also the worst for depreciation.

Typical alligator from omega is 400 euro. And a deployant is 300 plus.

Yet you can typically buy both on the second hand market together for around 200-250 in nearly new condition.

Either way you are keeping it so it matters not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

A bad day for Frankie :(

Bezel fell off my Longines '67 diver, was using the chrono to time a hurling match. Luckily someone found it on the field - any advice on who would do it?

A good day for Frankie :)

This arrived, bright and shiny and new, ordered yesterday and pretty happy with it (pictures crap, sorry):

520116.jpg

520117.jpg

520118.jpg

^ Very nice watch. A classy all rounder that will go with jeans and a t shirt or a suit and tie, effortlessly. And it has that Seiko touch, in the dial, that stands it out from anything else. I love the bracelet too, and the champfered crystal.

Ok I am pretty captured by Seio but still, lovely.

A curious thing, some might advise me here:

The guarantee card I received with the Presage has no dates, stamps etc. I have the receipt etc but it should 100% be stamped, right?

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    ^ Very nice watch. A classy all rounder that will go with jeans and a t shirt or a suit and tie, effortlessly. And it has that Seiko touch, in the dial, that stands it out from anything else. I love the bracelet too, and the champfered crystal.

Ok I am pretty captured by Seio but still, lovely.

Funnily enough, I'm intent on a NATO and a couple of straps for it - I'm not mad on the bracelet at all, despite the fact it's extremely comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

A curious thing, some might advise me here:

The guarantee card I received with the Presage has no dates, stamps etc. I have the receipt etc but it should 100% be stamped, right?

Funnily enough, I'm intent on a NATO and a couple of straps for it - I'm not mad on the bracelet at all, despite the fact it's extremely comfortable.

Grey market/unauthorised resellers usually give it blank

david wrote: »
    Grey market/unauthorised resellers usually give it blank

So what do I do here? Fill it in myself? It didn't break the bank, a good bit below RRP, but if i ever wanted to move it on I'd like to be passing it on with the whole shebang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

So what do I do here? Fill it in myself? It didn't break the bank, a good bit below RRP, but if i ever wanted to move it on I'd like to be passing it on with the whole shebang.

Just pass it on blank id say. Beautiful watch btw. Chances of you needing the warranty are few and far between. Rock solid movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I wouldn't do anything.

Ok, thanks lads :) Not bought grey before, so just a bit confused! I'll hang on to everything as usual - it'll be going up here first if I do eventually put it up.

I agree about the warranty docs.

I hear what you say about the Bracelet. For me personally I wouldn't go with a Nato but that's just my taste. About the only thing about this style of Seiko which I don't love, and it is a feature of their design language, is that the longer lugs tend to leave what I consider to be an unsightly gap between the watch case and most straps. I think this might be so with your watch - of course, the gap might irk me but you may not worry about it/may love it - just my personal bugaboo here.

You can address this with a slightly thicker material in the strap, somewhat. However the best solution might be a curved ends strap. I think a nice brown (light or dark but I would go more chestnut than tan) curved ends strap could look great on your watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So I bid for something last week and forgot about it until I got a notification I won the auction. The textured dial caught my attention.

IMG-20200717-144243.jpg
    IMG-20200717-143857.jpg

I didn't know when I bought it that it has blued hands.

IMG-20200717-144101.jpg

It still has a tag on it and appears to be never worn. The strap is permanently deformed from being left in the box and it's faded where you would see. I assume someone just left it in the box and had it on display.

IMG-20200717-145550.jpg

The hands move fine but there it just doesn't seem to wind so it'll go for a service shortly.

This is getting a lot more wear recently. Strongly considering keeping....!
    Have gotten a reasonable offer from watch finder as a trade in for a watch I am considering.
    But that won’t happen till next year either way as I would need to travel over. Think I might hold.....as FItzgeme says “VC is above criticism”.

The below is pretty much irreplaceable. There is only one of the watch available in the world. And that is loose watch rather than full set and it is in Asia.

I have my self convinced to keep I think.

Might have another look at selling one of my Stowa and maybe the PO again.

C14-FBE91-B2-DA-47-E1-BF69-5-CD57-BAACF30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is getting a lot more wear recently. Strongly considering keeping....!
    Have gotten a reasonable offer from watch finder as a trade in for a watch I am considering.

Honestly it's a beautiful piece, you'd be hard pressed to replace it at what you are offering it for IMO.

If I'd had the spare cash I'd buy it in a heartbeat, I do think you'd really be suffering sellers remorse fairly quickly.

I can't remember what you were set on replacing it with? But you have a great example, a 3rd of what many would call a grail trilogy ;)

Yourself, Cyrus and FG have amazing taste in watches IMO and watching what ye flip and move on to is one of the highlights of this subforum.

No doubt if you do move it on, you will get another gem in any case.

banie01 wrote: »
    Honestly it's a beautiful piece, you'd be hard pressed to replace it at what you are offering it

That really is it. That the reason I didn’t sell the Planet Ocean. What’s the point of being the cheapest one in the world...

banie01 wrote: »
    Honestly it's a beautiful piece, you'd be hard pressed to replace it at what you are offering it for IMO.
    I can't remember what you were set on replacing it with? .

An A Lange & Sohne of some sort. Have it narrowed down to 3 or 4 models. It had any in hand so can’t make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

That really is it. That the reason I didn’t sell the Planet Ocean. What’s the point of being the cheapest one in the world...

An A Lange & Sohne of some sort. Have it narrowed down to 3 or 4 models. It had any in hand so can’t make the call.

You keep posting it for sale so obviously it's not a keeper.. if your heart was set on it you wouldn't keep bringing it up :)

You keep posting it for sale so obviously it's not a keeper.. if your heart was set on it you wouldn't keep bringing it up :)

Which one? The PO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Which one? The PO?

Probably both :)

Probably both :)

You maybe right on both. I am flip flopping.

I guess if I had a fair bid on both it would be make my mind up time.

Ireland is just too small.

Maybe a bit philosophical for a Friday, but is any of our watches a keeper? Unless there is a sentimental value, the answer is probably no...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH U most of mine would be. I suppose for me going the vintage angle it is somewhat sentimental as I had to search them out, some for years so there's that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I guess it depends on the value of the watches too and how affluent you are :p

Some people can just keep buying €5k+ watches and never sell any. If I had my eye on another expensive watch, my current expensive watch would have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I think I've posted this watch before, but I've just spent a week with it and am wowed at its
    usefulness as a tool watch for diving.
    The underwater readability of the two multifunction hands for dive time and depth. The single flashing led for alarms and triggers.

The rechargeable cell is in its way out though, repeated dives were depleting it so I had to give it an hour in the direct sun each day. I'll get the cell replaced and pressure test.

520367.jpg

520353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A lovely and very practical watch NJ.
    Citizen's Promaster and aqualand watches really are some of the very best dive watches I've used.

I've a JP3050-55w myself and little things like ascent alarm and depth gauge are all fantastic.
    Legibility is as good as anything I've ever used too.
    A good Citizen can do many jobs really well and they are bloody bullet proof.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

njburke wrote: »
    I think I've posted this watch before, but I've just spent a week with it and am wowed at its
    usefulness as a tool watch for diving.
    The underwater readability of the two multifunction hands for dive time and depth. The single flashing led for alarms and triggers.
    That's a nice watch and a diver actually used for diving? :eek: Ah here Nj, that's not on. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not quite Seiko Sunday, just a Seiko NH35 movement in a Jiusko deep sea diver.

520421.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Not quite Seiko Sunday

Ah go on then, Seiko Sunday it is! Blue Tuna, actually looking blue in the sunlight! And yes, I did dive in :p

520458.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement