Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Sunday Seiko strap search...

520491.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

unkel wrote:
    Ah go on then, Seiko Sunday it is! Blue Tuna, actually looking blue in the sunlight! And yes, I did dive in

Nice shot of Balbriggan harbour too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Seiko Sunday baby!!!!
    And me with the Arnie on for the weekend :)
    IMG-20200719-215532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

SARB017 Sunday

520492.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Seiko Sunday, I can sport a seiko.
    Upgraded monster so, AR saphire and 4R35, I'm not changing the bezel, it would be like triggers brush.
    520493.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

Snap!

Mines all original though. Probably needs a service or new movement it gains well over a minute a day now. It's a tank was my daily watch for several years and there isn't a mark on the crystal because of how the bezel protects it. I baby it a bit more these days I'm quite fond of it as it was my first auto.

Actually the first day I haven't worn my Samurai since I got it!
    520494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

banie01 wrote: »
    Seiko Sunday baby!!!!
    And me with the Arnie on for the weekend

Love that watch, and love the fact the second hand goes asleep and wakes itself up when it hits the light again. And sets the analogue with the motors when you change the time on the digital.

Ryath, I didn't spare the whip with mine for nigh on 20 years, then I banged it hard against a fire engine. It lost timekeeping and the dial canted over a few degrees, so I knew the dial foot was gone. I thought about keeping it original, but they are machines after all, so if replacement parts are better but provide the same fit form and function then go for it. That's the third bracelet, 1&2 are in the biscuit tin with the 7s25 movement and hardlex crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

My Seiko SARB065 in this afternoon's sun...

ya2Y1ji.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Had a great day out in Howth Today,lovely Haddock and chips from Beshoff,a seagull kept a close eye on me as I tucked in:pac:

After took a walk along the Cliff Path,been to Howth many times over the years,first time on the path,beautiful day :)

tcfgb4G.jpg
    ZMcX56B.jpg

• Advertisement

Always liked that bellmatic of yours, it's got that 70s funk going on.

Wearing a real favourite today (my wedding watch).

It's a Seiko SBGX063. Inside is the astonishing 9F quartz movement, based around crystals which Seiko grow in house, age for three months, and select the most accurate for use in the Grand Seiko line (at this time at least).

It uses twin pulse motors, so the second hand actually moves twice per second (you can see it in super slow mo), and this gives it enough power to drive the full size Grand Seiko dauphine hands, as you can see. Each hand is mounted on an independent axis, for precision/smoothness.

It also means the battery changes are every three years, which is great for such a small unit. And, if you can't get to a Seiko service centre, it will accept any brand battery.

It has an "anti-backlash" feature. Most "standard" quartz movements can be seen to produce a bit of a wobble when the second hand stops, again in slow mo if not in real time. In a 9F a regulatory wheel is installed to stop the second hand dead, without vibration. This also assists in ensuring the second hands hits every marker dead on, to the naked eye although mine is presently a little off in one sector.

Rated for accuracy at a phenomenal +_ 10 seconds a year. Mine is well within that spec.

As a throwaway "why not" they got the date change down to 1/2000th of a second dead on midnight.

The movement itself is preserved in a sealed cabinet, preventing entry of dust/debris. Seiko recommend servicing about very 50 years or so. I take this with a grain of salt, because I can see the second hand of mine missing a couple of its marks here and there.

I love everything about the watch (ok the bracelet and clasp are not really top of the class - the design is basic but good quality, and works "fine" - just there have been advances here over the last 10/20 years, and there is no micro-adjust).

Seiko do this style of gents sports watch so well. You can put this watch on a leather strap and its as close to a classic dress watch as doesn't matter, or you can wear it with jeans and a t-shirt. It's a good example of how a 37mm dial can wear, when the proportions are right. It has lots of presence on the wrist. The champagne dial is a stunner, and is the same (but smaller) as is used in the spring drive model. The hands, indices etc are all finished with the same precision as any other Grand Seiko.

I also like that this one has the old school GS and Seiko branding (albeit on my SBGA2011 I prefer the cleaner dial design, which allows more of the dial to be exposed).

TLDR: Here is my watch. It's just a quartz.

DhjByd7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

njburke wrote: »
    Ryath, I didn't spare the whip with mine for nigh on 20 years, then I banged it hard against a fire engine. It lost timekeeping and the dial canted over a few degrees, so I knew the dial foot was gone. I thought about keeping it original, but they are machines after all, so if replacement parts are better but provide the same fit form and function then go for it. That's the third bracelet, 1&2 are in the biscuit tin with the 7s25 movement and hardlex crystal.

It's a tough watch alright surprised the bang killed it! Mines has survived a fall of bathroom sink on to tiles and at least one fall of bedside locker on to the wooden floor. And being worn for lot of household DIY and gardening. Think it might deserve a new movement at this stage!

Lovely watch ecoli, I've gone after a few sbgv225 but no luck yet. I'ld like a 9F to go with a suit.

Ryath, the skx781 was my ruffty tuffty diving watch for years.

Pics thread,
    So today I'm wearing a Nappey ( not on a long decompression dive)
    Cheap manual wind, chromed brass case domed perspex, from the early 80s i'ld guess.
    520668.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

The latest addition to the family and my first dive watch

IMG-20200721-104216.jpg

Rubber strap arrived today, fiddly enough to fit, but comfy now that it's on

IMG-20200721-104403.jpg
    IMG-20200721-104744.jpg
    IMG-20200721-115222-2.jpg

The lume is epic

IMG-20200721-115330.jpg

Just finalised my choice for the TC-9 Bronze turtle style.
    Went with the blue dial as I don't yet have a blue watch and I think it might suit the bronze as it develops a little patina.

Now given that Thursday is my wedding anniversary(and I'm also in Hospital for an op that day) and 2 weeks later is my wife's birthday...
    If/when she finds out about another watch purchase?!
    Given the Accutron (finally) and this will probably be delivered around her B'day :o

I may well be approaching my end days!:o:(:o

Time to spend some money on sparkly stuff and a spa day in the hope it staves off my doom! :P

104139980_3136537086402730_5552904043873038190_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=knT3-u91k48AX81MBGZ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=37613c4a850f7f285b5f564871bdc738&oe=5F3B184D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

that's a really cool watch; it really pops with the blue. Is bronze heavy? It looks like it weights a tonne but the light strap could balance it out.

@Eljono - thats a real beauty. Well wear!

redlead wrote: »
    that's a really cool watch; it really pops with the blue. Is bronze heavy? It looks like it weights a tonne but the light strap could balance it out.

Have no clue on the weight :o
    Another poster here shared the Kickstarter and I backed it.
    Its a fairly big lump at
    Solid bronze case. 45 mm wide. 48 mm lug to lug. 13.5 mm thick. A classic turtle divers case inspired by the divers watches of the 1970s. This is a bespoke made case, only made by TC-9.

I've got it on the way with 2 horween straps and a rubber.
    I do want to source a decent deployant clasp for those so will be on the lookout for that in the future.

@ElJono, Lovely Piece! Really a beautiful watch and the way that the dial pops is gorgeous!
    You've made my mind up regarding trying out Skeleton hands on my U2 aswell ;)

Thanks Redlead and banie, very happy with it I must say. I hadn't planned on purchasing this year but after fitzgeme offered his 300M at a very good price (which I couldn't move on at the time) I started seriously researching the various SMP models and sold my Speedmaster.

This particular 2017 model just hits all the right notes for me. Co-axial, ceramic bezel, case not as large as the 2018+ models and the dial is more subtle than the new ceramic wave dials. Accuracy is excellent so far, no noticeable losses or gains in the few weeks I've had it.

It's my first time not having a chronograph as my daily since 2008, so getting used to using the rotating bezel to time my eggs!

Bought two Seikos from scwazrh yesterday (nice fella), giving one to my father for his 75th in a few days (impossible to buy for) and keeping the below (un-embedded until Wibbs does his magic-thanks chief) one. Really love the retro-futurist look of it.

520751.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Birneybau wrote: »
    Bought two Seikos from scwazrh yesterday (nice fella), giving one to my father for his 75th in a few days (impossible to buy for) and keeping the below (un-embedded until Wibbs does his magic-thanks chief) one. Really love the retro-futurist look of it.

Thats lovely, you buy locally ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Thats lovely, you buy locally ?

scwazrh from this forum was only working 10 minutes away from my house, so I'd say pretty much, yeah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I picked this up from Weirs this evening. It's a lot nicer in hand than it is in pictures. I was worried that it would wear quite large but it feels more like a 38mm than a 40 due to the dial not being that big.

dzPWiP.jpg

Heres another shot of it beside the the DJ for comparison

dzPVWB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Well wear. I am not the biggest fan of that on jubilee.

Were you waiting long? Have you much purchase history with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Batgirl! :p

Were you on the waiting list long?

893bet wrote: »
    Well wear. I am not the biggest fan of that on jubilee.

Were you waiting long? Have you much purchase history with them?

Yeah that's a fair point, i think i just have a thing for jubilee/president bracelets. I have history buying other stuff but never bought a watch from them before. I think i asked last June so just over a year.

Well wear, that's a great looking pairing you have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Time wrote: »
    Yeah that's a fair point, i think i just have a thing for jubilee/president bracelets. I have history buying other stuff but never bought a watch from them before. I think i asked last June so just over a year.

That’s reasonable quick. Other stuff means jewellery which is high lest margin! Surprising enough still. That’s fairly fast!

893bet wrote: »
    That’s reasonable quick. Other stuff means jewellery which is high lest margin! Surprising enough still. That’s fairly fast!

Yeah i was happy enough with the wait. Now i have my foot in the door i just have to decide what i want to put my name down for next:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The blue dial on the DJ is just stunning. Pity Rolex don't do any watches that I like, with that colour dial

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement