Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    Does it wear like the 42mm it is?

Yes but no bigger

Pretty svelte and comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’ll take a pic tmrw, this watch comes with rubber and alligator strap from new, the bracelet was added by the original owner afterwards . Both straps are pretty much unworn I can see why now changing is a faff !

Maybe you will change up to the latest model with the quick release set up. I can then take that one off your hands. :D

Maybe you will change up to the latest model with the quick release set up. I can then take that one off your hands. :D

Been a few on ;)

I think once I get the bracelet refurbed it’ll stay on that looks best on it imo

Pic?

Is there rubber strap also?

this is it on the rubber, as i said changing straps is a faff it wont ever see the rubber! The gator is huge, i have it on the smallest size and its still too big for me itll need one more hole

qobWxml.jpg

0sdLbbS.jpg

V5GgCEV.jpg

33WGW2K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭893bet

Stunning! Does not look 42mm!

• Advertisement

Stunning! Does not look 42mm!

the darker bezel helps i think, ive often heard the 41mm royal oak wears very big, but this wears fine at 42mm imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Birneybau wrote: »
    15+ though...:eek:

I'm over it now. I've moved onto "Just One More Watch" and his Aliexpress specials. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

that's a stunner Cyrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, it really is. That metal bracelet is such a nice design too.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

J0QFl9Y.jpg

YDwMhhX.jpg

:)

Hard to believe its already been 4 months since leaving it into Crystal Jewelers back in March.Would of had it back sooner only for waiting on places to reopen for parts and with shipping.

Huge Thanks to Crystal Jewelers in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre,Lorraine and Barry the watchmaker was fantastic,took the time to talk me through what he had done.

He was able to restore one of the screws for the movement,had to make another from scratch.(Was in a rush,have messaged him for more information,just wanted to get this post up,will add more details later.)

In relation to the movement,he was saying one place makes the movements,another provides the cases.Mentioned what Wibbs had said before about the chemicals used in cleaning the movement might of changed the color appearing as a franken.

It is definitely made from at least 2 different movements,he explained back in the day they used benzene to clean the movements which is extremely toxic.He did not find any markings or anything to help identify the manufacture.

€75 for the service,€194.01 for the watch,really happy with that as its an amazing looking piece with that big crown and the history behind it that i am looking forward to explore more.

Was able to make out the name on the dial,SILVO. Found another on eBay [Link] . Going by the description,various different names could be found on the dials as the parts were from different manufactures.

Again another Huge thank you to Wibbs,way out of my depth on this one so very grateful to have his knowledge and inspirational posts to fall back on,and everyone else for posting as not having a large collection,its a great way to see many watches,many of which i could only dream of owning and the stories that go with them.

EJh4BlM.jpg

PcFBlZ6.jpg

88y3Bqt.jpg

dlkvNrd.jpg

JNUBkfp.jpg

Re0SKv0.jpg

Went a bit mad with the camera,here is some more pictures [Link]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cyrus wrote: »
    Jesus just changed the bracelet to the alligator strap

It’s not for the faint hearted very tiny screws everywhere

Won’t be doing that too often !

Was it a miracle?:confused:

Anyway took a side by side shot and I have to say Damasko really nailed dial clarity and ease of reading the time at a glance. I find myself looking at the Seiko twice to check the time, I never had to do that with the Damasko.

The Seiko has blue for SAT and red for SUN, just to remind me to take an odd day off. The wart does make the day/date easier to read, but unless it's photographed dead on perpendicular it's a balls.

Lume on the Seiko is better, and with a gap at 3 and a good lume pip on the bezel makes it easier to figure out the time at 4 o'clock in the morning. The red pip on the Damasko doesn't really glow at all.

518844.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If Blue is posting a Seiko...?
    Is it a Seiko Saturday? ;)
    Still bloody love that Damasko btw

518847.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That's a lovely looking watch. It makes me watnt to find a more robust old watch than the sterling silver cased one I've got.

Actually I should clarify, it's s the bonklip bracelet wearing the lugs that makes me want a more robust one. Don't want to remove the bracelet either as I'm almost sure I'll break the lugs

blue5000 wrote: »
    Was it a miracle?:confused:

It was that I didn’t lose a screw actually !

My punctuation was lacking there I admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Arnie so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OldBean wrote: »
    Arnie so nice.

Thanks, :) Compared to some I overpaid but I'm very, very happy with it.
    If you are considering one, get the name of the Dutch dealer on Chrono24 and buy via him.

New price with him is on a par with what I paid 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Been wearing my Seagull 1963 on a NATO all week but have it now on a two-piece.
    Bought the watch from hitemfrank and really like wearing it.

The strap cost €24 inc. p&p. from watchbandcenter in Germany.

518877.JPG

518878.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

I knocked my Stargate Cyclops off with a chisel.

There are people sticking them on - couldn't be more lop sided than Seiko I guess.

Lovely watch.

Bought the watch from hitemfrank and really like wearing it.

The strap cost €24 inc. p&p. from watchbandcenter in Germany.

It's good to see that one get some wrist time. The two piece strap is a definite improvement on the NATO that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I went with a blue red bond nato on my 1963 that I thought matched the blued hands and red star - something like this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bond+nato+blue+red&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwj_l7GjuLTqAhV5RBUIHW0mDQsQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bond+nato+blue+red&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECAAQQzoCCAA6BggAEAUQHjoECAAQHjoGCAAQCBAeUPcIWKIUYMUVaABwAHgAgAEziAH7ApIBATmYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=-uYAX_8y-YjV8A_tzLRY&bih=1327&biw=2560&client=firefox-b-d

Though actually I see ultimately I put it on a two piece brown leather strap too. Seems like I'm not a huge fan of natos for comfort.

• Advertisement

Wearing the 1963 on the supplied khaki NATO I found quite comfortable using the alternative single-threading method. Could quite happily have left it on it but the leather makes it look a bit more formal.

Thirdfox wrote: »

Though actually I see ultimately I put it on a two piece brown leather strap too. Seems like I'm not a huge fan of natos for comfort.

BTW I was in the merchant navy for 14 years and remember calling to Shanghai in the late 1970s. We were there about five days and got taken on the propaganda tour by CP officials. We visited a collective farm and a factory. Also the seamen's club had a great restaurant where you could eat multi-dish meals for about a fiver. It was in what looked like a gentlemen's club from the colonial period. The city was undeveloped at that time and little changed from pre-communist era. It was just after the 'gang of four' had been deposed and the party line we were fed constantly was to blame Mrs. Mao and her cronies for any failings.I
    We had been to Talin near the border with Korea just before which wasn't anything as interesting.
    Called to Hong Kong a good few times as well but that was the only time I was in mainland China.

BTW I was in the merchant navy for 14 years and remember calling to Shanghai in the late 1970s. We were there about five days and got taken on the propaganda tour by CP officials. We visited a collective farm and a factory. Also the seamen's club had a great restaurant where you could eat multi-dish meals for about a fiver. It was in what looked like a gentlemen's club from the colonial period. The city was undeveloped at that time and little changed from pre-communist era. It was just after the 'gang of four' had been deposed and the party line we were fed constantly was to blame Mrs. Mao and her cronies for any failings.
    We had been to Talin near the border with Korea just before which wasn't anything as interesting.
    Called to Hong Kong a good few times as well and once to Taiwan but that was the only time I was in mainland China.

Funny you say that you thought Shanghai was undeveloped as it probably was one of the most developed cities in China at the time (the four occupying powers French, British, US and Germans had developed their own "concessions" in Shanghai pre WWII) - it's why if you go there you can see French/British/US/German architecture still in the area.

And you got ripped off majorly with that fiver meal :D - I'd say you could have probably fed yourself for a month (at least) for a fiver back then - even in 2007 I bought a new bicycle in Beijing for a fiver (1 gear only but hey fixies are hipster). I think my Father's monthly salary in the 80's was something like 3 euro.

Funny you say that you thought Shanghai was undeveloped as it probably was one of the most developed cities in China at the time (the four occupying powers French, British, US and Germans had developed their own "concessions" in Shanghai pre WWII) - it's why if you go there you can see French/British/US/German architecture still in the area.

And you got ripped off majorly with that fiver meal :D - I'd say you could have probably fed yourself for a month (at least) for a fiver back then - even in 2007 I bought a new bicycle in Beijing for a fiver (1 gear only but hey fixies are hipster). I think my Father's monthly salary in the 80's was something like 3 euro.

It seemed to me at the time to be relatively unchanged with few buildings that would have been considered of recent vintage. But many of the cities in Asia like Singapore were still recognisably colonial. The skyscrapers came later.

I may have been paying an inflated price by local standards but it still seemed great value compared to prices in HK , Singapore not to mention the UK. I think they called the colonial area the 'bund' and a trip ashore in Shanghai wasn't the same as say Singers because there was no 'night life' at least none we had access to, so it was the seamen's club or nothing.

I came in from outside and this was glowing away. Figured I'd take a pic

IMG-20200705-191315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

That's a stunning watch, how much should I expect to pay for one of these?

dudeeile wrote: »

Watchunique (EU store), aliexpress and HKED all have 1963s available with different crystals (acrylic or sapphire) and designs.

Prices range from 180 to 220 euro I think.

• Advertisement

dudeeile wrote: »

Like thirdfox posted there are various options depending on the dial, display caseback, etc. the price can vary from about €150 (excluding VAT) from Aliexpress, to €190 at Uniquewatches in Netherlands (inc. VAT) for basic without display or more for extras, to HKED in Hong Kong where you get his 'original design' dial for €270 excl. VAT.

Or you might get a 'pre-loved' one from someone here or adverts.ie for a bit less.
    Research the watch first so you know what you're getting, hand winding not self winding, history of watch, etc.

They're not available in bricks & mortar watch shops in Ireland.

Edit: Mine originally came from Watchunique and someone who didn't love the red writing on the display case back obviously polished it off with some polywatch paste.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement