Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bowie wrote: »
    Using some of the bile and arsery posted here on a different funeral in the same circumstances is all.
    Milikng it for all it's worth and more. Story is losing steam boys. But for a few die hard desperadoes in blue hats or Orange sashes....

I posted no bile, it's funny the bile in the replies though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I posted no bile, it's funny the bile in the replies though;)

Kinda the point Bish.
    It's lifted from other comments. You must have missed them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It's lifted from other comments. You must have missed them ;)

Of mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The same bunch will stand up and defend the British if it is an Irish person criticising them.
    The auld hat doffing/inferiority complex has a bit to go yet before it dies out completely.

The same bunch will always stand up and defend the IRA and Sinn Fein no matter how many people they kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

maccored wrote: »

Link adds nothing to this discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,637 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    The same bunch will always stand up and defend the IRA and Sinn Fein no matter how many people they kill.

I have never supported the IRA, I understand why they existed and the circumstances that will bring them back.
    I also criticised the lapses at the funeral from the get go.

Have you done that with FG? I have seen you criticise the Greens who you say you vote for. Not FG though, you support them against all comers and I am not the only poster who has said that.

Of mine?

Nope.

blanch152 wrote: »

You're confusing calling out FG supporter hypocrisy with supporting SF or the IRA.
    Talk the same pro FG spin and distraction about PBP or the SD's you'll get the same response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,094 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A funeral is a 'staged' event Mark.

You can have everything from a State one to a simple one. A horse drawn carraige to a tractor to carry you off.

And it is only 'fake' if you don't know and assume something is happening that is not.

I would wager a bet that all there knew what was happening.

"Staged: contrived for a desired impression "

Funerals normally don't traipse the remains all over town and head to the graveyard for a jolly, and then when its over, sneak off to the crematorium.

It's all a bit odd.

markodaly wrote: »
    "Staged: contrived for a desired impression "

Funerals normally don't traipse the remains all over town and head to the graveyard for a jolly, and then when its over, sneak off to the crematorium.

It's all a bit odd.

As staged as every other funeral. This is getting funny though.
    Have you ever heard of a funeral director?
    What's next the tears didnt have your standard amount of salt?
    I'll tell you what's odd you and others obsession and inability to see your hypocrisy. Seriously lads pitiful stuff. I've officially lost interest but I might chime in to laugh and point.

• Advertisement

As staged as every other funeral. This is getting funny though.
    Have you ever heard of a funeral director?
    What's next the tears didnt have your standard amount of salt?
    I'll tell you what's odd you and others obsession and inability to see your hypocrisy. Seriously lads pitiful stuff. I've officially lost interest but I might chime in to laugh and point.

Is it normal that funerals go to a graveyard, even though the body is not to be buried there?

Is it normal that funerals go to a graveyard, even though the body is not to be buried there?

I've been to 3 such funerals.
    Also, so what? Getting sillier. What's the goal here? Do you know?

I've been to 3 such funerals.
    Also, so what?

3 funerals, which goes to a cemetery with all the trappings and orations, and then instead of burying the body there, it is put back into a hearse to be transported to a crematorium?

This is not normal practice. People who are cremated have the service there, not in a graveyard.

3 funerals, which goes to a cemetery with all the trappings and orations, and then instead of burying the body there, it is put back into a hearse to be transported to a crematorium?

This is not normal practice. People who are cremated have the service there, not in a graveyard.

No idea. The coffin goes behind a curtain and everyone leaves.
    You are wrong. Its wishful thinking.
    Again, what's the end game here?
    Your obsession is becoming more bizarre. Is this still a political SF thing?

So, it goes to a crematorium, not a cemetery with no crematorium, which happened in this case.

So, the question remains, the Storey funeral was quite odd and staged for the cameras.

So, it goes to a crematorium, not a cemetery with no crematorium, which happened in this case.

So, the question remains, the Storey funeral was quite odd and staged for the cameras.

You seem very sure.
    All 3 were at a chapel or a room in a cemetery after the church service elsewhere.

It was the same as any big turn out funeral. Arranged based on design chosen, like Horkan's, Haughey's etc.
    I still don't get your hopes and dreams on this. Getting creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

In case you were wondering why the IRA were so quiet about Cowens drink driving...

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/now-second-td-admits-ban-for-drink-driving-while-a-learner-39352610.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    In case you were wondering why the IRA were so quiet about Cowens drink driving...

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/now-second-td-admits-ban-for-drink-driving-while-a-learner-39352610.html

Apart from the IRA being disbanded after the GFA, I'm not sure a drink driving councillor in cork would.prompt them to make a statement tbh.......

Anyway, that was reported on back in 2013 - old news in other words.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/councillor-ashamed-over-drink-driving-arrest-234095.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

maccored wrote: »
    - the 'Brits were fighting the Brits' theory.

So you don't accept that leading members of the Belfast Brigade were agents working for MI5 and Special Branch?

Donaldson, Scap, Roy the Rat, Ruby Davidson who touted on the Gibraltar Three and was given another big Shinner send off (he was turned for raping young fellas which was more common it seems among Belfast Provos than an 18th century war ship) and many many more.

Some of currently respectable Shinner apologists were touts who were quietly retired from the military side but still sing the party mantra.

And that is without getting into the common or garden corruption that has seen leading Belfast provies become wealthy men without ever working a day in their lives. They own hotels, bars,security business, property here and overseas.

Where did the Northern Bank money go, as former hunger striker Dolours Price asked? And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Pkiernan wrote: »

While I don't like your use of the IRA, it'll be funny watching the hand waving commence from the die hards.

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    While I don't like your use of the IRA, it'll be funny watching the hand waving commence from the die hards.

'Handwaving from die hards'?

Michael and Leo have set the template here...this is grand. He served the penalty, owned up...SF should promote him to Minister for State to even things up.

'Handwaving from die hards'?

Michael and Leo have set the template here...this is grand. He served the penalty, owned up...SF should promote him to Minister for State to even things up.

Isn't SF's thing supposed to be that they represent change? Or are you happy with Micheal and Leo's take on it?

Isn't SF's thing supposed to be that they represent change? Or are you happy with Micheal and Leo's take on it?

My issue (and I posted about it) with Cowen was not the offence per se (everyone makes mistakes) my issue was with the secrecy and why it was coming out now. As a Minister I think he also has to answer the other questions arising.

My issue (and I posted about it) with Cowen was not the offence per se (everyone makes mistakes) my issue was with the secrecy and why it was coming out now. As a Minister I think he also has to answer the other questions arising.

While you may not have an issue with the offence, others will. I'd be guessing road safety groups probably won't see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A Sinn Fein apologist with with issues about secrecy. Thanks. That will give me a chuckle all day. The official Sinn Fein line on Scapattici is still “nothing to see here”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I thought Sinn Fein accepted his apology, the same as Leo and Michaél?

You're complaining they're not complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

You seem very sure.
    All 3 were at a chapel or a room in a cemetery after the church service elsewhere.
    You seem a little confused, Bowie. Surprising since one thing we Irish consider ourselves experts on is funerals.

Crematoriums are sometimes located in graveyards eg Mount Jerome and Glasnevin in Dublin. In some cases the main funeral service takes place in a church or chapel elsewhere and a short final service is conducted in the crematorium before, as you put it, the coffin goes behind a curtain. Since you don't seem to know what happens then, the answer is that the body is burned.

In other cases, particularly for non-religious funerals, the entire service is conducted in the crematorium.

The issue with Strorey funeral is that thousands of people went from the church to Milltown cemetery when the crematorium was in fact several miles in a different direction. Turning funerals into political circuses is a well established SF/IRA custom, but doing so in the middle of a pandemic is particularly crass.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I thought Sinn Fein accepted his apology, the same as Leo and Michaél?

You're complaining they're not complaining?

Wasn't really following the story too close, don't know if they accepted the apology.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A Sinn Fein apologist with with issues about secrecy. Thanks. That will give me a chuckle all day. The official Sinn Fein line on Scapattici is still “nothing to see here”.

What has an organisation that has been wound up after a conflict/war that is over for over 20 years got to do with current politics?
    You wouldn't be trying to deflect away from current events would you?

• Advertisement

rdwight wrote: »
    You seem a little confused, Bowie. Surprising since one thing we Irish consider ourselves experts on is funerals.

Crematoriums are sometimes located in graveyards eg Mount Jerome and Glasnevin in Dublin. In some cases the main funeral service takes place in a church or chapel elsewhere and a short final service is conducted in the crematorium before, as you put it, the coffin goes behind a curtain. Since you don't seem to know what happens then, the answer is that the body is burned.

In other cases, particularly for non-religious funerals, the entire service is conducted in the crematorium.

The issue with Strorey funeral is that thousands of people went from the church to Milltown cemetery when the crematorium was in fact several miles in a different direction. Turning funerals into political circuses is a well established SF/IRA custom, but doing so in the middle of a pandemic is particularly crass.

And if they brought out another crowd for the interring of the ashes ( I assume they are going in the Republican plot) the usual crew would be out complaining.

Death and funerals have always been used for orations by political party's. Aren't they still using the grave of WOlfe Tone for political oration.
    IMG_8492.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement