Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is there a maximum distance a paddock should be from the parlour? Or what’s the longest distance you should have to avoid lameness issues?

It’d be a twice-a-day system rather OAD

Apologies if this has been discussed before

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

Is there a maximum distance a paddock should be from the parlour? Or what’s the longest distance you should have to avoid lameness issues?

It’d be a twice-a-day system rather OAD

Apologies if this has been discussed before

Distance is not the issue. It's the cow you have for that distance is the issue. The bigger and heavier the cow is less able to sustain long walks.

Long walks will cost you on milk output as energy is used up. We have 550kg cows with max if 1.5km. 3 days of that and well make sure there short for the next 5 or 6 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We put them to far away paddocks during the day. Maximum walk is a mile to the furthest field. Then to a close by one at night

whelan2 wrote: »
    We put them to far away paddocks during the day. Maximum walk is a mile to the furthest field. Then to a close by one at night

I remember my father doing the same. They’d be handy then for the morning

alps wrote: »
    Distance is not the issue. It's the cow you have for that distance is the issue. The bigger and heavier the cow is less able to sustain long walks.

Long walks will cost you on milk output as energy is used up. We have 550kg cows with max if 1.5km. 3 days of that and well make sure there short for the next 5 or 6 days..

Thanks for that. Do you mean 1.5km to the parlour, so 3km for there and back? Or 1.5km is a round trip, so 750m each way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

Thanks for that. Do you mean 1.5km to the parlour, so 3km for there and back? Or 1.5km is a round trip, so 750m each way?

1.5 each way, but the long walk once a day like Whelan does would break that distance nicely. I just find that hard in a 19/20 day round as cows end up doing the bones of 3 days in a paddock.

alps wrote: »
    1.5 each way, but the long walk once a day like Whelan does would break that distance nicely. I just find that hard in a 19/20 day round as cows end up doing the bones of 3 days in a paddock.

Thanks again. The reason I ask is that I went for a walk today on some of our land that’s leased out and, I’m blaming the sunshine, but a notion to look into milking cows came to mind. We milked cows here up til 2001 and paddocks, roadway, water troughs, and cubicles are in place. The cubicles are somewhat converted to a lambing shed at the moment but could be converted back again

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Manorpark man

Well lads anyone experiencing problems with ai’ing heifers this year, have Moocall collar this 4 years and find it great tbh.... this year have 3 heifers especially out of 15 comin around at all sorts of days 9,11, 15 etc,.... they hardly all have Cysts? Never had as much hastdship as this year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Well lads anyone experiencing problems with ai’ing heifers this year, have Moocall collar this 4 years and find it great tbh.... this year have 3 heifers especially out of 15 comin around at all sorts of days 9,11, 15 etc,.... they hardly all have Cysts? Never had as much hastdship as this year
    Good ai man will know if in heat and can check for cysts ..fixed time ai only job for heifers then let bull off

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Manorpark man

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Good ai man will know if in heat and can check for cysts ..fixed time ai only job for heifers then let bull off

Couple times he told me not properly on, one such heifer since first served has come in intervals as such.... 11,15,15,8 and 12 days..... can ai men check for cysts? Must ask him, like personally ai’n heifers to natural heats, no bull here at all and no plans with heifers or cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Couple times he told me not properly on, one such heifer since first served has come in intervals as such.... 11,15,15,8 and 12 days..... can ai men check for cysts? Must ask him, like personally ai’n heifers to natural heats, no bull here at all and no plans with heifers or cows

Is the teaser bull at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Scan them is the safest bet. Time moving now 3 weeks and it'll be May calving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

Mooooo wrote: »
    Scan them is the safest bet. Time moving now 3 weeks and it'll be May calving

nothing wrong with a couple of may calves, sure what else would you be at:eek:

cosatron wrote: »
    nothing wrong with a couple of may calves, sure what else would you be at:eek:

Had 4 here :(

We had 3 surprise June calves from heifers. And no May calves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

We had 3 surprise June calves from heifers. And no May calves
    Was it a stock Bull or their comrade Bull calves did the job? Were they big enough to milk on?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Was it a stock Bull or their comrade Bull calves did the job? Were they big enough to milk on?

They were supposed to be autumn calvers , so are big enough. My dads bull he has with his pedigree angus herd did the job. Sold 2 of the calves for export this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They were supposed to be autumn calvers , so are big enough. My dads bull he has with his pedigree angus herd did the job. Sold 2 of the calves for export this morning

Are they still taking AAs bulls for export?

Are they still taking AAs bulls for export?

Ye got 150 each

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

4 may calves is ok,14 is a b#ll#cks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ye got 150 each

How old?

cute geoge wrote: »
    How old?

3 weeks. I probably could have got more in the mart but other stuff on. No boats going last week at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

3 weeks. I probably could have got more in the mart but other stuff on. No boats going last week at all

Calves are going well alright. It's amazing how they can pay for calves now alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

straight wrote: »
    Calves are going well alright. It's amazing how they can pay for calves now alright.

Some lads prefer later born calves to finish off grass but still keep them under 30 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Anyone tune into the teagasc virtual farm walk this morning. As a newbie to dairy I found it fascinating talked about all aspects incl selective dry cow therapy, chlorine free cleaning , grassland management incl importance of soil index and breeding with genomic bulls. Probably mentioned loads more but I only got about 40mins out of the hour long session but will definitely tune in again if the run more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K.G. wrote: »
    4 may calves is ok,14 is a b#ll#cks

I had 5 calve towards the end of last month and the start of this month. 4 have been AIed already and I may get the vet to handle the last one though I'm sure she's clean, she might just need a wee push in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Anyone tune into the teagasc virtual farm walk this morning. As a newbie to dairy I found it fascinating talked about all aspects incl selective dry cow therapy, chlorine free cleaning , grassland management incl importance of soil index and breeding with genomic bulls. Probably mentioned loads more but I only got about 40mins out of the hour long session but will definitely tune in again if the run more

saw about half of it, hes a good operator, though it was interesting the dry cow therapy not working in the first year they tried it, its rare you get such an honest assesment, cost them a bit with mastitis in cows and loosing quarters, in future only cows with scc under 70 will be dried off with no dry cow antibiotics...going to be very hard to do nationally and will prob result in higher antibiotic use post calving which i wouldnt be a fan of

clorine free works for him as he does 2 hot washes a day, thats the key but very expensive to heat water on day rate, 25% of my current elec usage is heating water and thats only on night rate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

clorine free works for him as he does 2 hot washes a day, thats the key but very expensive to heat water on day rate, 25% of my current elec usage is heating water and thats only on night rate

I've been looking into the tams solar pv grant to save on the esb bill on water heating here, after I saw a teagasc tweet claiming a 6year payback for it. However after reading up 2 case studies online the more realistic best case scenario would be 9years payback, and would be at least a 15k capital cost, alongside planning etc ha. I too have grief with the non chlorine stuff and extra hot washes and tbc fines etc, and by now the cheapest thing I could probably do would be to go back to a chlorine wash with a double rinse afterwards or something 2bh.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've been looking into the tams solar pv grant to save on the esb bill on water heating here, after I saw a teagasc tweet claiming a 6year payback for it. However after reading up 2 case studies online the more realistic best case scenario would be 9years payback, and would be at least a 15k capital cost, alongside planning etc ha. I too have grief with the non chlorine stuff and extra hot washes and tbc fines etc, and by now the cheapest thing I could probably do would be to go back to a chlorine wash with a double rinse afterwards or something 2bh.

Dairygold have said to no chlorine after July 1st. Have passed the tests here by doing split rinses before and after detergent. Last rinse has paracetic acid in it then. Bulk tank has 2 rinses before and after as well. Haven't tried the non chlorine ones yet but by the looks of things it's the hot water that doing the work not any type of detergent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

When you're lucky..

I'm using Southern Dairies Parlour NC in the parlour.
    DM Cid Ultra in the tank.

The Parlour NC lasts two days for the parlour. I rinse three times before I start the wash.
    A fresh mix is hot water and after that its cold in the wash trough.

Last three tbc tests were 4, 5, 7.
    There'd be something wrong if it got to double digits.
    Eight unit parlour. Well water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement