Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Try 5000 years ago here.

https://twitter.com/VoxHib/status/1273290097077747717?s=20

The poor ole Mesolithic people here were hunting and gathering away here till Neolithic dairy farmers from England and France decided this was a grand country to set up shop.
    Their field and paddock system for their cows are buried under thousands of years of peat in the Ceide fields in Mayo.
    Even just in the recent past pre famine every bit of ground was being farmed. There's lazy beds that were used for potato production still visible on Bing maps on the Blackstairs.
    It all went a bit south then from emigration and deaths.

On Brazil there's whole communities of native Brazilians who never studied in Cornel agricultural university living quite happily on the native ecosystem.
    Of course they know crap and should be driving a John Deere and paying taxes.
    There were field systems along the Barrow long before the Ceide fields afaik, there's a book on it I heard of by a Dr.Gillian Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There were field systems along the Barrow long before the Ceide fields afaik, there's a book on it I heard of by a Dr.Gillian Barrett.

Where was that do you know?

I read before that the Barrow estuary was said to have been the first point of humans landing in the country. Even when sea levels were a lot lower and land going out far to sea from the southeast. The three sisters river was still obviously there but it's entering the sea was miles out from Hook head.

https://twitter.com/Xavi_Bros/status/1265866281787457536?s=20

*Just found this tweet. Miles is right. :pac:
    Doggerland is there in the north sea. And sure all the human settlements on that.

Ain't the price of milk shocking though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Where was that do you know?

I read before that the Barrow estuary was said to have been the first point of humans landing in the country. Even when sea levels were a lot lower and land going out far to sea from the southeast. The three sisters river was still obviously there but it's entering the sea was miles out from Hook head.

https://twitter.com/Xavi_Bros/status/1265866281787457536?s=20

*Just found this tweet. Miles is right. :pac:
    Doggerland is there in the north sea. And sure all the human settlements on that.

Ain't the price of milk shocking though..
    My source is from around Athy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Grasstec are advertising a partnership in a superb setup in milford co cork.land and.buildings look top class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

K.G. wrote:
    Grasstec are advertising a partnership in a superb setup in milford co cork.land and.buildings look top class

Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭einn32

Any links?

There is a sharply presented video on the Grasstec YouTube channel. But it's for a partnership in Filford, Co. Cork. I presume it's a typo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

einn32 wrote: »
    There is a sharply presented video on the Grasstec YouTube channel. But it's for a partnership in Filford, Co. Cork. I presume it's a typo.

Dont know a place called filford.its just a lovely spot.i know dawg id be suggesting putting 300 x breds on it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Seems a good spot alright but unless living very close robotic system seems a strange one for a partnership and a young herd there with the investment put in also. Normally I thought partnerships would be born more out of business further on. Know nothing off it so could be plenty reasons just not what I was expecting

https://youtu.be/Cszf_FMGaYM

• Registered Users Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Belt went on the air compressor this evening. Need it to feed the nuts. Rang milking machine man and he left the belt out for me. He's only 10 minutes over the road. Only on a Sunday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Belt we t on their compressor this evening. Need it to feed the nuts. Rang milking machine man and he left the belt out for me. He's only 10 minutes over the road. Only on a Sunday....

We bought a lidl 50 litre compressor for 80 euros
    It works fine just for the feeders
    They have them now and again so it's worth picking one up as a stand by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have one of them here on the air purge system the last 5yrs and it's never missed a beat. I remember the dairymaster chap doing up a quote for me, he put down a 1200e 300l compressor as an add on that I'd need... I'd swear they are told to test the water to see how much of an idiot you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The exports of livestock from here meet and exceed all the regulations in place but there appears to be a blind eye being shown to the handling of those stock once they land elsewhere.

Which is where all the reports are coming from:rolleyes:
    A EU committee has been set up to look into the live transport/shipment of animals within Member States and outside the EU.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eu-approves-inquiry-into-live-animal-transport-553434

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Base price wrote: »
    A EU committee has been set up to look into the live transport/shipment of animals within Member States and outside the EU.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eu-approves-inquiry-into-live-animal-transport-553434

france germany neatherlands spain and italy are mentioned in the eu document were were only tiny players in the market, the main aim is to reduce transportation costs and have processing closer to where they are produced, its like a document larry and the greens came up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

straight wrote: »

Look at all the fertilizer he has and the department give us sh*t about the couple of bags to acre we put out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

cosatron wrote: »
    Look at all the fertilizer he has and the department give us sh*t about the couple of bags to acre we put out

Tillage farmers are big users of fertiliser alright. I believe wexford has alot of issues with nitrates from tillage land

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

Tillage farmers are big users of fertiliser alright. I believe wexford has alot of issues with nitrates from tillage land

No no no no no....

It's the derogation..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Stupid independent with their paywall - can't see much of the article

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭greenfield21

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23T39E

Seems a bit late, what are they going to do reduce cow numbers? Do people actually buy into this.

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    That mobile phone mast is a spoiler...

ha, the 10m pricetag isn't an issue for alps but the phone mast is the deal breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

ha, the 10m pricetag isn't an issue for alps but the phone mast is the deal breaker

The auctioneer is expecting interest from farmers. Highly profitable dairy farmers I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The auctioneer is expecting interest from farmers. Highly profitable dairy farmers I suppose.

For those old enough to remember the Ploughing Championships were held there in 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Theres only a couple of farmers around the country the banks would back

dawg will come home from france and put 1000 xbred on it, easy money.

dawg will come home from france and put 1000 xbred on it, easy money.

The derogation alone is worth nearly €5k an acre..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

wrangler wrote: »
    For those old enough to remember the Ploughing Championships were held there in 1982.

not before my time but too young to remember!!

are you familiar with the place or the land in the area? What's it like? Can't be too bad if there 750 acres of tillage on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Panch18 wrote: »
    not before my time but too young to remember!!

are you familiar with the place or the land in the area? What's it like? Can't be too bad if there 750 acres of tillage on it!

It's about ten miles from here, I heard that the grandfather did a lot of work reclaiming it etc to get it looking like that, I always heard it took a lot of maintenance, so was more than surprised at the quality of the land at the ploughing Championships. The place is a credit too them now.
    They used to make grass meal in the seventies and eighties. They used to feed a lot of cattle then too, they had a feeding conveyor for the cattle that I think caused the farm accident referred to in the indo report. Seller wouldn't be old, maybe 50 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Has he any daughters:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

Anyone ever use 29 0 14 with sulphur (protected urea fertiliser). Had you good results?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement