Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Put as many hours on the loader as the tractor here, looking at replacement prices for a jcb 412 are high. Current machine is 34 yrs old. 7840 is 24 yrs, a few bob gone into it so that may stick around for a while hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Bang on a year on the new massey here and I'm surprised that we've only put 700hrs on it so far. I was considering a loadall and a loader tractor before, however on hindsight I've zero regrets about just having the one good loader tractor that does everything. I got a 6ft bucket afew weeks ago, and a 5ft sheargrab is the next investment, so I'll get the extra productivity from it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Put as many hours on the loader as the tractor here, looking at replacement prices for a jcb 412 are high. Current machine is 34 yrs old. 7840 is 24 yrs, a few bob gone into it so that may stick around for a while hopefully

7840 is a nice tractor to drive though is nt it.40 k so.can pick away and the 6 cylinder is smooth on the road.tbh your wasting your time without 50 or 60 k for a loader un less tou go for maybe a reconditioned volvo.

K.G. wrote: »
    7840 is a nice tractor to drive though is nt it.40 k so.can pick away and the 6 cylinder is smooth on the road.tbh your wasting your time without 50 or 60 k for a loader un less tou go for maybe a reconditioned volvo.

Ah it is, had to put the full stack of weights on it for the double bale handler but she leaves the neighbours tm120 for dead now the road between outfarm and home was resurfaced. Can do all we need of it as well, lift is a bit finicky but other than that she's fine. Loader has gone over 20k hours and something up with it every year now but same as most of us there's always something ahead of the list than buying a new(er) machine. Agree, nearly have to head to that price point to get anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Loader prices are valued at that for your 416s with 7000 plus hours on a 08/09 plate, but they arent selling for it, the bigger again machinces like komastu wa 320/434s the same age are just sitting in dealers yards their not reliable enough for a contractor but are simply too big for a farmer, have a lm430 here and the versatility of it in low sheds and tight spaces is unreal but its akward enough on a silage pit, putting 1100 hours up on it a year and thinking of keeping it and buying a loading shovel aswell

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Loader prices are valued at that for your 416s with 7000 plus hours on a 08/09 plate, but they arent selling for it, the bigger again machinces like komastu wa 320/434s the same age are just sitting in dealers yards their not reliable enough for a contractor but are simply too big for a farmer, have a lm430 here and the versatility of it in low sheds and tight spaces is unreal but its akward enough on a silage pit, putting 1100 hours up on it a year and thinking of keeping it and buying a loading shovel aswell

Sorry whats a lm430.we have mf 50e whish stay smostly in the yard.does all shear grabbing and most loading but we also have a loader on one tractor. So we have a back if shes goes down as shes over 30 years as shes has a euro head same as tractor. I thiught about a teleporter before but you have to go very fresh as if she goes down there might be cows to be fed that day and no attachment would fit tractor .the way we are now pull the grab off the massey and on to the tractor and cows fed that day so i can get away with a handy loader.the massey also has a scraper on her so she s doing something every day and its great saving onthe tractor loader not to have to do the shear grabbing.tractor is handy for drawing bales or loading and bring a trailer of something.might lose out on a it of performance but the silage is close to shed so its no big deal.only 2 things you re sure of with machinery, its going to cost money and its going to give trouble but you have to get s##t done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tbh, I don't think we have the infrastructure to take micro renewables into the system as yet. We would need smart meters in all places that sell into the grid and they would have to be able to communicate their output to the grid so the grid can be managed without collapsing, if my understanding of it is right. And we would still need fossil fuel plants on standby for days with no wind and sun so the net effects are probably small until we can store large amounts in batteries or similar.

I have a few sheds here that are ripe for solar panels and any new sheds built would probably be built to make sure I can use solar panels.

I wouldn't be holding my breath though.

Hydrogen technology is coming on leaps and bounds.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53238512

A tidy little set up on electricity producing farms not being rewarded or selling electricity into the grid could be to use excess electricity not needed on the farm to produce hydrogen and store that for use in the heavy machinery, tractors, loaders, jeeps, etc. Could be used for heating for the winter too.
    Make your hydrogen from solar in the summer or a wind turbine and use it whenever you want it. Maybe even start your own pull up fuel station.. :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Sorry whats a lm430.we have mf 50e whish stay smostly in the yard.does all shear grabbing and most loading but we also have a loader on one tractor. So we have a back if shes goes down as shes over 30 years as shes has a euro head same as tractor. I thiught about a teleporter before but you have to go very fresh as if she goes down there might be cows to be fed that day and no attachment would fit tractor .the way we are now pull the grab off the massey and on to the tractor and cows fed that day so i can get away with a handy loader.the massey also has a scraper on her so she s doing something every day and its great saving onthe tractor loader not to have to do the shear grabbing.tractor is handy for drawing bales or loading and bring a trailer of something.might lose out on a it of performance but the silage is close to shed so its no big deal.only 2 things you re sure of with machinery, its going to cost money and its going to give trouble but you have to get s##t done

https://www.liftstoday.co.uk/listings/for-sale/new-holland/lm430/telehandlers/1038

i presume hes on bout one of these....

Ourselves and the neighbour share equipment to a degree so we both have the same brackets on loader so if one machine is down the other can feed on both farms. It seems to be one machine tho that we would both be using the same day so one between the two of us would be a step to far. The spinner, tanker, agitator, sprayer type equipment is what we would share mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a tractor and loader, a tm150 and a skidsteer. Was thinking of changing skidsteer to a 520-40, are they any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazzer007

The 520-40 looks like a decent machine and more comfortable than a skid steer. I sold my skid steer and bought a kramer 180 something similar to below machine (not as clean looking). The 520-40 was out of my budget. Would have better reach. The old 520-50 was a decent yoke but hard to get in and out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/kramer-180-compact-loader-only-1800-hrs/25190305

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭straight

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have a tractor and loader, a tm150 and a skidsteer. Was thinking of changing skidsteer to a 520-40, are they any good?

The tm are a good machine I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I often thought a Merlo multifarmer would be a nice machine, but pricey and would probably useless in the field after. Landini made a prototype years ago, called a powerlift or something, I only came across it on YouTube by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    The 520-40 looks like a decent machine and more comfortable than a skid steer. I sold my skid steer and bought a kramer 180 something similar to below machine (not as clean looking). The 520-40 was out of my budget. Would have better reach. The old 520-50 was a decent yoke but hard to get in and out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/kramer-180-compact-loader-only-1800-hrs/25190305

And are you happy with the change? What's the main use? Feeding, and cleaning?

straight wrote: »
    The tm are a good machine I'd say?

Good so far anyway!

I only have it 2 months & bought it for €10k, spent another 1k to tidy it up. Just put on a 4ft tine grab for cleaning out sheds. Quick hitch is fierce handy & it's easy to operate. Can lift 1 tonne. Only thing is she lift 2 fertiliser bags but reach isn't high enough to get the bags into the spreader due to the length of the bags so need to use a tractor as where the skid steer had no issue. Can handle a silage bale no bother so will use it for feeding in tight areas. In time, I hope to getter a bigger telescopic Kramer or Weidemann for feeding instead of using a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

2nd hand prices are crazy. I'd be afraid to price a new one.

Between what u save on tax,repairs ..tyres... a new one spread out over 7 year is how it should be viewed.and tractor itself is the collateral.

I only have it 2 months & bought it for €10k, spent another 1k to tidy it up. Just put on a 4ft tine grab for cleaning out sheds. Quick hitch is fierce handy & it's easy to operate. Can lift 1 tonne. Only thing is she lift 2 fertiliser bags but reach isn't high enough to get the bags into the spreader due to the length of the bags so need to use a tractor as where the skid steer had no issue. Can handle a silage bale no bother so will use it for feeding in tight areas. In time, I hope to getter a bigger telescopic Kramer or Weidemann for feeding instead of using a tractor.

Why wont it lift a fertilliser bag, the jcb has 12ft height I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭straight

richie123 wrote: »
    Between what u save on tax,repairs ..tyres... a new one spread out over 7 year is how it should be viewed.and tractor itself is the collateral.

I don't know lad. I have no trade in. Something around the 25-30k will have to do for a while. Not farming long in my own name but I've all sheds, infrastructure, etc. fairly sorted so a bit of machinery is next. Then maybe a wage...

• Advertisement

That's the Kramer 180 not jcb.

Another option for you if looking for a machine similar to a 520-40.

https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/kramer-weidemann-4512-mini-telescopic/25092912

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It should be easy enough to make up a lift head on a frame, so that when the loader is fully down the hitch point is the height of the bag hook. But I'd lift only one bag at the time with that adaption, if it adds to the reach.

That's the Kramer 180 not jcb.

Another option for you if looking for a machine similar to a 520-40.

https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/kramer-weidemann-4512-mini-telescopic/25092912

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

I don't know lad. I have no trade in. Something around the 25-30k will have to do for a while. Not farming long in my own name but I've all sheds, infrastructure, etc. fairly sorted so a bit of machinery is next. Then maybe a wage...

I think the question to ask is, would a new tractor reduce your workload and time spent on the farm?

Water John wrote: »
    It should be easy enough to make up a lift head on a frame, so that when the loader is fully down the hitch point is the height of the bag hook. But I'd lift only one bag at the time with that adaption, if it adds to the reach.

Thanks lad for that info.

cosatron wrote: »
    I think the question to ask is, would a new tractor reduce your workload and time spent on the farm?

We are kinda at the stage machinery wise where the machines that are 20 years old now have similar complexities to newer machines and therefore can have higher maintenance costs as well while still costing a chunk of change. While they all require maintenance, if you drop 5k repairing something it would cover a few repayments on newer machines. Emissions regs then seem to pushing the price of new stuff higher again. A 20 yr old 412 may still cost 25k plus and have a lot of work done at that so you'd be wondering is it value at all, the new model is prob up on 100k new then

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Well u can also look at it this way.
    Do u even need a tractor ??
    I mean 25 k will pay a lad to do a ****load of jobs over the next 5 year all of which would be 100%tax efficient write-off.
    I'm not even counting diesal roadtax and Insurance.not to mind repairs or a tyre blowout.
    If ur dairying ..the money's in the milk..concentrate on that .. everything else is just a distraction.
    It's different for beef men because there's so little in beef incomewise,u have to nearly do all your own work to ekk out a few pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

So dairy farming chit chat ....how’s everyone’s dairy cows doing !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

mahoney_j wrote: »

They’re doing good thanks, urea too high and protein too low tho. The usual story. Getting cows feet trimmed today and was going to walk them tru a footbath for a few days after. Just wondering How much copper sulphate I should be mixing in a 200l footbath..?

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »

Been busy the first 6 months of the year and all slurry is out bar dairy washing silage ground all fertilized,shed finished, silage slab done,calf house empty ,bulls with cows so the this july we will be abit more relaxed and going to atack a couple of revamps in a few machines.redid the rubber on the scraper this week and did the brakes on one tractor so im in the machinery mode at the moment.great satisfaction in doing these jobs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement