Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Chlorine free here for the last 18 months.
    Hot wash every evening
    Rotated between acid and detergent
    Rinse in am and paracitic was after. Tbc hasn't been over 10 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've been looking into the tams solar pv grant to save on the esb bill on water heating here, after I saw a teagasc tweet claiming a 6year payback for it. However after reading up 2 case studies online the more realistic best case scenario would be 9years payback, and would be at least a 15k capital cost, alongside planning etc ha. I too have grief with the non chlorine stuff and extra hot washes and tbc fines etc, and by now the cheapest thing I could probably do would be to go back to a chlorine wash with a double rinse afterwards or something 2bh.
    Hold tough awhile, with the Greens in now the grants for renewables might become more attractive!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Freejin

When you're lucky..

I'm using Southern Dairies Parlour NC in the parlour.
    DM Cid Ultra in the tank.

The Parlour NC lasts two days for the parlour. I rinse three times before I start the wash.
    A fresh mix is hot water and after that its cold in the wash trough.

Last three tbc tests were 4, 5, 7.
    There'd be something wrong if it got to double digits.
    Eight unit parlour. Well water.

I hear you.... Chlorine free here the last year. Only do hot wash in the parlour when we do a milk recording, never an issue with TBC. Well water, i reckon water has a lot to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My Tbc has rocketed to 70, what temperature should the bulk tank wash at, I sent off a water sample also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Last 4 TBC were 2, 2, 4, 2. Routine is rinse 1st in the evening, then hot wash with chlorine free cryosan, then final rinse with paracetic acid included.
    I recycle the detergent for the morning and use it cold. No paracetic acid in the mornings final rinse.
    I have gas water heating in so have water on demand at 75 degrees. According to the milk manager that is the key to it.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Last 4 TBC were 2, 2, 4, 2. Routine is rinse 1st in the evening, then hot wash with chlorine free cryosan, then final rinse with paracetic acid included.
    I recycle the detergent for the morning and use it cold. No paracetic acid in the mornings final rinse.
    I have gas water heating in so have water on demand at 75 degrees. According to the milk manager that is the key to it.

Does timescale effect the gas heater

kevthegaff wrote: »

Sorry limescale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've been looking into the tams solar pv grant to save on the esb bill on water heating here, after I saw a teagasc tweet claiming a 6year payback for it. However after reading up 2 case studies online the more realistic best case scenario would be 9years payback, and would be at least a 15k capital cost, alongside planning etc ha. I too have grief with the non chlorine stuff and extra hot washes and tbc fines etc, and by now the cheapest thing I could probably do would be to go back to a chlorine wash with a double rinse afterwards or something 2bh.

PM sent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Hold tough awhile, with the Greens in now the grants for renewables might become more attractive!

Fingers crossed!

But in all seriousness, you'd want a decent grant. The danger with experts telling us payback is 5 years, 10 years, etc. is that they are usually assuming the ESB will maintain the current price.

If solar or wind power started to get a real foothold, there's nothing to stop the ESB dropping their price to maintain their "market share" and discourage others from installing solar or wind. All of a sudden, your initial investment that was 5 year's worth of ESB bills (that is, the 5 year payback) becomes the equivalent of 7-8 years worth of ESB bills at their new, reduced rate.

I want to use solar and I want to see fossil fuels stay in the ground. But the ESB, essentially an arm of the Government, needs to be dragged on-board. They have blocked any move that might undermine their control of the country's energy supply.

Apologies for rant so early in the day!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tbh any grants are likely to be swallowed by installers, it's being able to sell to the grid would be the thing and don't see that happening really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Sorry limescale

Yes you will need ro treat any issues with your water supply before it enters the gas burners

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mooooo wrote: »
    Tbh any grants are likely to be swallowed by installers, it's being able to sell to the grid would be the thing and don't see that happening really.

True - salespeople raise prices in line with the grant available!

And who's stopping people from selling into the grid? The good oul ESB again

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Limescale effects all heaters, kev. We've gone through a few electric heaters in the last few years and put in a water treatment system last year to stop the limescale in the new heater we installed.

I was scratching my head for the first few days as the water coming out of the taps was brown, a right scuttery brown too, and I was about to stop using it when the water started to return to normal after about 4 days. We were happy with TBCs of 10-15 but now we're down to 6-7 and the heater should last a good few years as well.

The system cost about 900 euro and does an auto wash so all we have to do is keep the salt container filled up.

Just thinking about what sh!te was locked up in the limescale for years:eek:

True - salespeople raise prices in line with the grant available!

And who's stopping people from selling into the grid? The good oul ESB again

Tbh, I don't think we have the infrastructure to take micro renewables into the system as yet. We would need smart meters in all places that sell into the grid and they would have to be able to communicate their output to the grid so the grid can be managed without collapsing, if my understanding of it is right. And we would still need fossil fuel plants on standby for days with no wind and sun so the net effects are probably small until we can store large amounts in batteries or similar.

I have a few sheds here that are ripe for solar panels and any new sheds built would probably be built to make sure I can use solar panels.

I wouldn't be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

Quick one for all ye that are grass measuring via the cut and weigh method. What size scales do ye have? Only looking into grass measuring and I want to cut and weigh so I can train my eye. I was going to buy this one but dont know if I need a 1kg or 2kg scales. I presume 1kg should be fine? I presume ground let up for silage wouldnt weight over 1kg per quadrant?

http://https://www.ourweigh.co.uk/hanging-scales/salter-brecknell-super-samson.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Gman1987 wrote: »
    Quick one for all ye that are grass measuring via the cut and weigh method. What size scales do ye have? Only looking into grass measuring and I want to cut and weigh so I can train my eye. I was going to buy this one but dont know if I need a 1kg or 2kg scales. I presume 1kg should be fine? I presume ground let up for silage wouldnt weight over 1kg per quadrant?

http://https://www.ourweigh.co.uk/hanging-scales/salter-brecknell-super-samson.html
    Most of your measurements should be between 100-250g, so something accurate in that range

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

AI man inserted prid's into 2 cows and a cidr into a heifer last Monday. I injected them with 2ml of estrumate today. I have to take the prid's/cidr out tomorrow. Is there anything I should know about taking them out or is it just a case of pulling gently on the string.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭straight

Being a highly profitable dairy farmer and things being a bit quiter on the farm these days I said I'd do my bit for farm safety and buy myself a decent second hand tractor and loader. Alot of high ground here so plenty slipping and sliding going on with the 2 wheel drive 40 year old yoke that i have. Found a nice 8 year old valtra n121 with a loader that I was going to look at so I rang to find out the price. 48k I was told. Think I'll be sticking with the 2 wheel drive for another while....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    AI man inserted prid's into 2 cows and a cidr into a heifer last Monday. I injected them with 2ml of estrumate today. I have to take the prid's/cidr out tomorrow. Is there anything I should know about taking them out or is it just a case of pulling gently on the string.

Just pull em out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    Being a highly profitable dairy farmer and things being a bit quiter on the farm these days I said I'd do my bit for farm safety and buy myself a decent second hand tractor and loader. Alot of high ground here so plenty slipping and sliding going on with the 2 wheel drive 40 year old yoke that i have. Found a nice 8 year old valtra n121 with a loader that I was going to look at so I rang to find out the price. 48k I was told. Think I'll be sticking with the 2 wheel drive for another while....

I have my mind made up that my next tractor will be brand new. It will be my last one to buy as I will keep it years. I think looking at the bags of sh1te that I have looked at second hand that it may be the cheapest option long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »
    I have my mind made up that my next tractor will be brand new. It will be my last one to buy as I will keep it years. I think looking at the bags of sh1te that I have looked at second hand that it may be the cheapest option long term.

2nd hand prices are crazy. I'd be afraid to price a new one.

Anyone tune into the teagasc virtual farm walk this morning. As a newbie to dairy I found it fascinating talked about all aspects incl selective dry cow therapy, chlorine free cleaning , grassland management incl importance of soil index and breeding with genomic bulls. Probably mentioned loads more but I only got about 40mins out of the hour long session but will definitely tune in again if the run more

The link below has the virtual tour and the background on the farm on it.
    https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2020/the-hearne-family-dairy-farm.php

I had 5 calve towards the end of last month and the start of this month. 4 have been AIed already and I may get the vet to handle the last one though I'm sure she's clean, she might just need a wee push in the right direction.

She's bulling this evening, no vet needed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

Last September we had our 85 Renault with the mechanic and he rang the boss and told him it was f**ked so he went off with his contractor mate down to templetouhy to have a look at his options and when he came up he said go down and a look at 2013 John Deere 6330 and I thought he wouldn’t have a notion of buying as it was savage and expensive but it was the best thing he ever bought on the farm and if I was you I would buy it. It will pay for itself in comfort alone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

2nd hand prices are crazy. I'd be afraid to price a new one.

It's a kind of a ponzi scheme where if you haven't a reasonable up in the years tractor to trade in you're kind of goosed.

That said, I bought a lovely sweet 94 ford 6640 2wd at auction last year for 10,500 and it'll do me years. You'd be smiling driving it. She'll probably still be worth 10,500 in 20 years time, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

Most of your measurements should be between 100-250g, so something accurate in that range

Thanks, the one kg scales should do fine so as the increments are every 5 grams

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just pull em out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Micro gen from solar would be on a diff rate than commercial solar farms.
    The roll out of smart meters is progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

That wouldn't be a bad money if hours were low and with a loader too.
    Paid a little bit less for a 2010 massey with loader here last year.
    I didn't want to buy it at the start as we've other things needed in the yard but it was a good decision even though its tough going paying for 2 tractors atm.
    Both of us here are able to work away at stuff independently instead of one waiting on the other to be finished with the tractor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It depends on a few things.the first thing is hardship is alot dearer than any tractor.if a bus is doing your work and not giving much bother thats fine but if shes letting you down,costing money and uncomfortable.life s too short for that s##t.
    Second if you are paying a nice wadd of tax on the higher rate it ll probaly cost you less than half the price.
    Thirdly what is your strategy. You either buy something good and do a fair share of your work or you decide thats it and get a contractor to do the vast majority.spending big money on a parked tractor and contractors or spending no money and trying to do everything is stupid.
    (Could be guilty of that myself).
    Lastly but not least if you like tractors and you dont have any other expensive hobby and you on top of any commitments,have a bit of fun.what about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement