Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I certainly won't be watching them. I refuse to watch the GOAT in another uniform, it'd hurt too much. I don't hold anything against him, he will always be my favourite player.
    As for Gronk, another of my favourite players ever but this move takes a bit of the gloss off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why? Doesn't really have anything to do with us. I mean its one last hurrah for him with the QB he looks up to most, who he has been with his whole career and clearly has a strong bond with. Like you I won't be going out of my way to watch them this year but it doesn't really bother me to see the two lads have one last season together, retirement is long. If Brady had stayed in NE I am sure Gronk would have come back and played for us this season. No ill will toward either of them, wish them the best once it isn't against the Pats.

Even if he had gone to a rival maybe or something I could understand but they have both left the conference entirely so just nothing there at all to take gloss off for me, I am not criticising you either just in case it comes across that way. Sport is sport, brings out unusual and often hard to explain feelings. Just curious as to what the reason would be?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'll be rooting for them unless they are playing the pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'll be rooting for them unless they are playing the pats.
    Exactly. Two legends who defined the Pats in the 10's. Pats come first, but can't think of a reason to not wish them well.

Exactly. Two legends who defined the Pats in the 10's. Pats come first, but can't think of a reason to not wish them well.
    Brady was a superstar all through the 00's, three Superbowls and a 16-0 regular season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So how is everyone feeling about Belichick's Pat's will fair this season without Brady?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Loughc wrote: »
    So how is everyone feeling about Belichick's Pat's will fair this season without Brady?

So much depends on Stidham. 8 wins max for me, but could be 5-6.
    When the D played the good teams, they didn't do well (not helped by the offense getting off the field so often). Not sure how the offense will be any better this year, unless the running game gets going.

We had 11 wins and didn't make the playoffs with Matt Cassel. I think Stidham is a long way ahead of Matt Cassel.
    He's an unknown because he hasn't been a starter in the NFL but I liked what I seen if him in the preseason last year and it was clear that he'd taken in a lot from Brady.
    You will never know what he's like until he goes through everything a starter has to, leadership, rebounding from errors, hits, ints etc. but I've got a really good feeling. I think Belichick is a big believer in him too, seems like Brady had no choice but to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

eagle eye wrote: »
    We had 11 wins and didn't make the playoffs with Matt Cassel. I think Stidham is a long way ahead of Matt Cassel.
    He's an unknown because he hasn't been a starter in the NFL but I liked what I seen if him in the preseason last year and it was clear that he'd taken in a lot from Brady.
    You will never know what he's like until he goes through everything a starter has to, leadership, rebounding from errors, hits, ints etc. but I've got a really good feeling. I think Belichick is a big believer in him too, seems like Brady had no choice but to go.

I'd say the situation Cassell walked into (an all-time record setting 16-0 offense) isn't really comparable to what Stidham is walking into (a slightly above average offense) so it's hard to compare the 2 situations. That was also Cassell's 4th year in New England, so he had three times the experience and familiarity of how we play compared to Stidham.

I'd say the situation Cassell walked into (an all-time record setting 16-0 offense) isn't really comparable to what Stidham is walking into (a slightly above average offense) so it's hard to compare the 2 situations. That was also Cassell's 4th year in New England, so he had three times the experience and familiarity of how we play compared to Stidham.
    Well the 2008 WR group had Moss and Welker but after that there wasn't much. At TE we had Watson and Thomas do nothing spectacular there either.
    We'll have Edelman and then Sanu, Lee and Harry. Not as good at the top end but better after the top two. Then at TE we have to hope that Asiasi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Well the 2008 WR group had Moss and Welker but after that there wasn't much. At TE we had Watson and Thomas do nothing spectacular there either.
    We'll have Edelman and then Sanu, Lee and Harry. Not as good at the top end but better after the top two. Then at TE we have to hope that Asiasi

Moss and Welker were two beasts. So was Edelman to be fair. But he is in the twilight of his career. The remaining guys are the guys that didn't perform all of last season. The core of the team was stronger back then also. And Cassells did a solid enough job that year.to be fair to him.
    I think if the Pat's make .500 this year they will be doing ok.

dh1985 wrote:
    Moss and Welker were two beasts. So was Edelman to be fair. But he is in the twilight of his career. The remaining guys are the guys that didn't perform all of last season. The core of the team was stronger back then also. And Cassells did a solid enough job that year.to be fair to him. I think if the Pat's make .500 this year they will be doing ok.
    I'm expecting us to win the division. A lot will have been learned from how the offense performed last season and I expect improvement, we have a good defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

I'm expecting us to win the division. A lot will have been learned from how the offense performed last season and I expect improvement, we have a good defense.

I hope your right but i think the Bill's might finally have gotten their act together and pip us. Not fully sold on the defence either. When it came to the crunch last year they imploded. There is some very good operators in the defence but as an entire unit I am not entirely sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They also had an incredibly soft schedule in 2008, whereas this year looks like a bear

I still fully expect Stidham to be the starter. Cam Newton hasn't looked the same player for a while now.
    I don't understand the move outside of it being a public relations exercise with the #blacklivesmatter and all that.

I hope Cam doesnt see the field this year, whatever Stidham offers he needs to be given game time to display it and to show his learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

If he hasn't earned the trust in training then Stidham won't be showing the learning curve on the field.

Seems like an incredible deal for the Pats. A supercheap quality quarterback with no risk for future years in terms of dead money.

Doubtful Cam gets back to mvp form but that won't be required. Unless he still injured like he was at the start of last season the starting job is his.

Lol, you've seen Cam being poor when he's not injured over the last few years and you know nothing about Stidham and you say that as if it's fact.

See, we dont need "supercam" trying to run his way out of trouble and wimping out.

What we probably need is a mobile QB for training purposes. He'll run the scout team to prepare for Jackson etc.

Lol, you've seen Cam being poor when he's not injured over the last few years and you know nothing about Stidham and you say that as if it's fact.
    I think we all need to give stidham a chance at this point. I've seen nothing positive of him but BB clearly knows more than I do about him!!

(also he's wearing the right number for a QB imo as a favre fan):D

• Advertisement

If Cam is healthy, he's gonna be the starter. He's a top 10 QB, if not higher. His running ability, even constrained from previous years, will be a massive boon to an offense with limited talent for receivers.

If Cam is healthy, he's gonna be the starter. He's a top 10 QB, if not higher. His running ability, even constrained from previous years, will be a massive boon to an offense with limited talent for receivers.
    I really don't think he is.
    He doesnt play the role we need from a QB, a sensible game manager with a cool head and ability to make clutch throws.

In fact, cam probably has none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah if Cam is healthy, he's the starter. Great addition to the team, and is less reliant on the WR group (which obviously suits NE's current set)

ELM327 wrote: »
    I really don't think he is.
    He doesnt play the role we need from a QB, a sensible game manager with a cool head and ability to make clutch throws.

In fact, cam probably has none of that.

He's an excellent QB, as his career has shown, capable of elevating lesser players to success. Look at his roster at WR over the last while, absolute garbage outside of Greg Olsen.

He's exactly what the team needs, and his running ability will allow us to exploit RPOs that we haven't been capable of with Tom.

He's an excellent QB, as his career has shown, capable of elevating lesser players to success. Look at his roster at WR over the last while, absolute garbage outside of Greg Olsen.
    He WAS an excellent QB. He hasn't shown anything, when fit, for quite a while now.

A healthy Cam vs Stidham is not a contest. I have checked up on Stidham. He seems fine I guess. He might develop but I certainly wouldn't be expecting a serious offense next season with him on the field.

Someone mentioned BB knowing more than them and that is obviously true for me as well. However BB did also just sign Cam and I am willing to bet pretending to be Jackson on the practice squad was not mentioned. There are plenty of cheap guys who could do the same thing.

He WAS an excellent QB. He hasn't shown anything, when fit, for quite a while now.

As opposed to Stidham, whose career highlight is Pick 6? I get the reservations re: Cam's health, but this is an absolute win for the team. Gives us some hope for a successful season.

As opposed to Stidham, whose career highlight is Pick 6? I get the reservations re: Cam's health, but this is an absolute win for the team. Gives us some hope for a successful season.

One of the worse pick 6s from a QB perspective from last season as well.

Cam's health is a massive risk factor but his contract is tiny. Massive potential upside to the Pats. Little downside if it goes wrong.

Christy42 wrote:
    A healthy Cam vs Stidham is not a contest. I have checked up on Stidham. He seems fine I guess. He might develop but I certainly wouldn't be expecting a serious offense next season with him on the field.
    All we have to go on as regards Stidham is his preseason last year. I was impressed, said it at the time and a few times since.
    It's clear he hoovered up everything he could from Brady is a very short time.
    Christy42 wrote:
    Someone mentioned BB knowing more than them and that is obviously true for me as well. However BB did also just sign Cam and I am willing to bet pretending to be Jackson on the practice squad was not mentioned. There are plenty of cheap guys who could do the same thing.
    BB just signed a high profile black man in the midst of the biggest anti-racist campaign in a long time.
    I'm sure he'll work in plays that get Cam on the field but Brady wasn't forced out to sign Can Newton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Im 99% sure well see Cam start week 1.
    I dont see any way that Belechik would bring in such a high profile player, and all the attention that goes with it, to be a backup. People like Hoyer have been his go to over the years.
    And my Stitham jersey is in the post 😭😭

Advertisement