Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

ELM327 wrote: »
    So... being proud of your country fighting against the british makes you a white supremacist?
    ****. I'm a white supremacist so.

A lot of people jump to racism because of the south, the confederate flag, etc. Conveniently forgetting the black regiments in the CSA. The black slave owners etc. This is not even the CSA flag, it's the 3%.

I mean. They fought the British a few hundred years ago. I don't think it is a Washington fan club where they go to his concerts. To begin with they don't actually care about it enough to get their history correct (the 3% figure for those who fought against the Brits is incorrect). It is another wannabe militia group with little oversight which will end up training terrorists and doing nothing actually worthwhile for anyone.

Near as I can see most of their activities involves being a non professional security group who show at events where no one actually wants them. That and they have ended up with a fair few wannabe terrorists and offered to protect Senators from policemen doing their job when the Republicans fled their duty in Oregan.

It is an extremist group and as such is a red flag for the Pats to do their homework. Presumably they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Marshall had 64 black players on their roster last year, and 4 black coaches.

Do you really think their kicker is an active white supremacist?

Come on.

Oh the 'I can't be, I know some black people' excuse :rolleyes:

To be fair I don't know what his opinions are but the group he has a tattoo of seems to be littered with white supremacists, though mostly just conspiracy nut willy measuring wannabe hard men. When you read about them it seems like an incredibly sad group of people but you can see why members have ended up involved in several terrorist/hate attack plots.

For all those complaining about this being overblown, the exact same would happen if it turned out a late round draft pick had a gang tattoo. The story would then be exacerbated if the initial explanation he gave was that 'they are random' and his later excuse was at best misleading, if not a complete lie. There are numerous pictures of him in college without a tattoo, so he wasn't some innocent young teenager when he got it.

Whether the lad fails or succeeds, the Patriots have set him up for a nice post playing career in the far right media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus lads relax the cacks there a small bit. I've expressed a concern over the draft pick.
    Marshall had 64 black players on their roster last year, and 4 black coaches.

Do you really think their kicker is an active white supremacist?

Come on.
    I'm not saying he is that, but there is a link. I'm just saying I'd rather not have a player with any link like that on the Patriots.

College players have far less say than professionals. They're there at the grace of the head coach and any problematic players are generally swiftly dispensed with.
    So... being proud of your country fighting against the british makes you a white supremacist?
    ****. I'm a white supremacist so.

A lot of people jump to racism because of the south, the confederate flag, etc. Conveniently forgetting the black regiments in the CSA. The black slave owners etc. This is not even the CSA flag, it's the 3%.
    It's funny how upset yourself and ee get when the 3 percenters are likened to white supremacists - which they clearly are.

Anyway I'm bowing out of this debate. It's gotten some very strong reactions of which I'm not too bothered about.
    My concern stands over the kicker, personally I would've been happier had we not drafted him, but as I said before, I hope I'm wrong. I don't really care beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No one was bothered when Kraft, Bill and TB12 were good mates with the Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not saying he is that, but there is a link. I'm just saying I'd rather not have a player with any link like that on the Patriots.
    I see how you conveniently don't respond to the part where I mention what's in the threepercenter's charter about defending people regardless of Race/Religion/Creed.

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter as it doesnt suit their agenda you see.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I see how you conveniently don't respond to the part where I mention what's in the threepercenter's charter about defending people regardless of Race/Religion/Creed.

And you conveniently ignore how many of their members ignore this charter and it appears like it is there for nothing more than for PR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Oh the 'I can't be, I know some black people' excuse :rolleyes:

I see it as more of a "if I was a white supremacist who was so up front about my white power beliefs that I would get it tattooed on my arm for everyone to see, I wouldn't last a day as the minority in a testosterone filled environment surrounded by the majority who are the very people I encourage hate against" excuse.

That, and the fact plenty of his teammates have rubbished the "he's racist" angle since this came out.

You must have wet your pants in excitement when the Patriots drafted this chap.

I see it as more of a "if I was a white supremacist who was so up front about my white power beliefs that I would get it tattooed on my arm for everyone to see, I wouldn't last a day as the minority in a testosterone filled environment surrounded by the majority who are the very people I encourage hate against" excuse.

That, and the fact plenty of his teammates have rubbished the "he's racist" angle since this came out.

You must have wet your pants in excitement when the Patriots drafted this chap.

So you're saying it is a white power group and tattoo now? :confused:

The player himself has stated that the group is not what he represents and that it is 'shameful', yet we still have posters here defending the group and the tattoo.

You're taking a bad route here if you're trying to project some kind of bias here with my opinion on this. I was vocal about my concerns about Bosa's social media posts prior to the draft last year and how it could impact the 49ers if he joined them and that was nothing close to this situation.

So you're saying it is a white power group and tattoo now? :confused:

Have I said otherwise, or have I denied saying otherwise? Show me where I've said anything about the group... because I haven't. I haven't a clue who they are.

All I've said is that I don't buy the "he's a white supremacist" angle which you and others have put forward. Im giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his own explanation, the testimony of his teammates and his unblemished tenure on a team where his peers are the group he supposedly campaigns against (if your side of the story is to be believed)

Simple as that.

I don't know anything about the group or what they do or don't stand for. Didn't even know they existed before this and will in all likelihood forget their existence a week from now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

"Patriots kicker Rohrwasser will remove 'shameful' rightwing militia tattoo"

As I had hoped and a very promising sign. A direct quote from Rohrwasser, "It’s shameful that I had it on there ignorantly." Strong words.

As I had hoped and a very promising sign. A direct quote from Rohrwasser, "It’s shameful that I had it on there ignorantly." Strong words.
    So he didn't know until Saturday that it wasn't at great thing to have and he's had it since he was 18.

Have I said otherwise, or have I denied saying otherwise? Show me where I've said anything about the group... because I haven't. I haven't a clue who they are.

All I've said is that I don't buy the "he's a white supremacist" angle which you and others have put forward. Im giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his own explanation, the testimony of his teammates and his unblemished tenure on a team where his peers are the group he supposedly campaigns against (if your side of the story is to be believed)

Simple as that.

I don't know anything about the group or what they do or don't stand for. Didn't even know they existed before this and will in all likelihood forget their existence a week from now.

The fact that you admit not to knowing anything about the group and refuse to do any research on them while also running a blanket defense says a lot about where you're coming from on this.

I haven't claimed that 'he's a white supremacist', I specifically said I don't know what his opinions are, just like you don't. What I put forward that he has a tattoo prominently displayed on his arm of a group that is riddled with white supremacists, domestic terrorists, conspiracy nuts, and are so bad that the player himself now calls the association with them 'shameful'.

It is your right to believe that he decided to get a permanent tattoo on his forearm while in college and neither before or after bothered to google the group and that right up until Saturday he never heard a negative thing about the group or its members. To me that excuse doesn't seem at all credible and I would say the same thing if a player had a gang tattoo and they made that same extremely weak excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The fact that you admit not to knowing anything about the group and refuse to do any research on them while also running a blanket defense says a lot about where you're coming from on this.

I haven't claimed that 'he's a white supremacist', I specifically said I don't know what his opinions are, just like you don't. What I put forward that he has a tattoo prominently displayed on his arm of a group that is riddled with white supremacists, domestic terrorists, conspiracy nuts, and are so bad that the player himself now calls the association with them 'shameful'.

It is your right to believe that he decided to get a permanent tattoo on his forearm while in college and neither before or after bothered to google the group and that right up until Saturday he never heard a negative thing about the group or its members. To me that excuse doesn't seem at all credible and I would say the same thing if a player had a gang tattoo and they made that same extremely weak excuse.

Would you be equally concerned for black players who are members of Black Lives Matters, which is fairly vocal in expressing hateful speech towards other ethnic groups in society?

People often do things without thinking too deeply on them. This situation is much ado about nothing. Folks are happy to jump on a reason to be upset and virtue signal. Tiresome.

Would you be equally concerned for black players who are members of Black Lives Matters, which is fairly vocal in expressing hateful speech towards other ethnic groups in society?

People often do things without thinking too deeply on them. This situation is much ado about nothing. Folks are happy to jump on a reason to be upset and virtue signal. Tiresome.
    No, you see, black lives matter and other black power/black supremacy group are allowed. You're just not allowed to be white and proud. You can only be black/ethnic

This seems like a sudden switch in the argument as opposed to actually dealing with the post you quoted and instead goes for the but what about. Black Lives Matter are a very different group to the III%ers.

Not a big deal if he gets it removed. Obviously pretty thick player if he had it on there without knowing what it stood for but kickers don't need brains. Terrible draft choice for a kicker in the 5th though.

Christy42 wrote: »
    This seems like a sudden switch in the argument as opposed to actually dealing with the post you quoted and instead goes for the but what about. Black Lives Matter are a very different group to the III%ers.

Not a big deal if he gets it removed. Obviously pretty thick player if he had it on there without knowing what it stood for but kickers don't need brains. Terrible draft choice for a kicker in the 5th though.
    As bad as Seabass by the raiders? :D

As bad as Seabass by the raiders? :D
    I mean this guy has less of a risk of being deported before appearing on the field at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Christy42 wrote: »

The point I was making is that folks are happy jump all over this player for associating himself with a controversial group, whilst ignoring the same action by other players/ individuals. Are you going to disavow the Patriots because of Kraft's support for Israel as well, Belichick for his friendship with Trump? Where is the moral line drawn? This whole thing is an exercise in virtue signalling imo.

I don't espouse the views expressed by threepers, and I'm hoping that this a case of ignorance on the part of the kicker, versus feigning contrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No one was bothered when Kraft, Bill and TB12 were good mates with the Donald.

I'm bothered by that, but not exactly surprised and again not football related so I wouldn't harp on about it all the time. The kicker has just been drafted which is why its topical.

I did do a cursory glance at his social media and whether Marshall had 64 players or not there isn't a whole lot of them in his instagram account for example, I didn't do a deep dive but I did not see one photo that included any black people whatsoever.

Look, its a red flag but it doesn't have to be anything massive. He has said he is gonna get the tattoo removed and really for me thats the end of it. He has a job to do, thats what matters to me most.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

The point I was making is that folks are happy jump all over this player for associating himself with a controversial group, whilst ignoring the same action by other players/ individuals. Are you going to disavow the Patriots because of Kraft's support for Israel as well, Belichick for his friendship with Trump? Where is the moral line drawn? This whole thing is an exercise in virtue signalling imo.

I don't espouse the views expressed by threepers, and I'm hoping that this a case of ignorance on the part of the kicker, versus feigning contrition.

I think people are getting overly defensive over him. Why would I disavow the patriots over him, I didn't say that nor did I see anyone else say it. He absolutely has a red flag. That is largely the extent of it. He just got drafted so these things will get discussed. I think you are over egging the issues people have with him. Players have fallen in drafts for far less. Tunsil comes to mind.

His excuse was hilarious idiotic. He seems to be following through so he may well just be that dumb. People do get tattoos they don't understand meaning sandwhich in Chinese or whatever but I will happily call those people dumb as well!

Nice attempt at a whataboutism but in the post you quoted I stated I would say the same thing about a black player with a gang tattoo and made the same weak excuse that this lad had.

Are you saying the player is now virtue signalling by saying how shameful his tattoo and association with the group is? So he is an idiot for getting a tattoo without knowing what it meant and a virtue signaler?

No, you see, black lives matter and other black power/black supremacy group are allowed. You're just not allowed to be white and proud. You can only be black/ethnic

Not sure what far right media has coloured your perspective but it is some jump to call a group that is trying to highlight the issue of police brutality against the black community as a 'black supremacy group'.

Just checking out some of our other draft picks. Kyle Dugger looks really talented and you could see him all over the field on both sides of the ball. He ran a 4.49 40, played basketball to a high level in college as well as football, returned six kicks for touchdowns.
    Very excited about this guy.
    Afernee Jennings has the look of a Trey Flowers about him after watching loads of tape, just has that instinct and speed off the line. Even when trying to break tackles he keeps his eyes on the QB until he gets rid of the ball.
    The one that excites me the most is John Uche and it's because he reminds me of Ninkovich. The fact that his former teammate(Winovich) is with us too makes me believe he is going to work out very well for us.

I have to look a bit more at the others before passing comment.

Agree Dugger looks very good, and his special team ability might come in very handy. Haven't looked into the rest too closely yet but the D is looking very good, its the offense that worries me.

Patriots all decade team is up on social media, we have had some talented guys through the roster in the last decade!

**** it I'll type it

Offense:
    Brady
    Develin
    White
    Amendola
    Edelman
    Solder
    Mankins
    Andrews
    Thuney
    Vollmer
    Gronk
    Welker

Defense:
    Gilmore
    Jones
    Wilfork
    Guy
    Flowers
    Butler
    Ninkovich
    Chung
    Hightower
    Mayo
    McCourty
    Van Noy

ST:
    Ghost
    Allen
    Edelman
    Slater

No big omission, Butler a little surprising but I guess the INT seals the inclusion, Revis maybe missed out cause of his inclusion?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'd have both Talib and Revis over Butler, even accounting for Revis' short tenure here.

I also feel there's a good argument for Collins over Van Noy, but wouldn't see it as a massive snub either way.

Also, that's an all-white offense apart from White....which is funny.

Talib could have a case too, but tbh I'd rank that penalty machine Browner ahead of him in terms of influence on success :)

Some good news for those who still want to follow Tom and Gronk closely at Tampa Bay. We don't have a game kicking off at the same time as the Bucs until week 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Reading about the schedule here, cool road trip this season for Patriots
    Week 13 @ Los Angeles Chargers (Sun)
    Week 14 @ Los Angeles Rams (Thurs)

Same stadium, practice in the sun for a week, mini bye week when ya get home. Nice way to do it

• Advertisement

Some good news for those who still want to follow Tom and Gronk closely at Tampa Bay. We don't have a game kicking off at the same time as the Bucs until week 15.

You mean Bucs fans? :pac:

Advertisement