Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,694 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adrian522 wrote:
    Post 3985 above, quoted from the CBA.
    Ok, I missed that. Thanks. I was of the opinion you got compensatory picks for retired players from way back. I never heard much about it since tbh.

Anyways I'd rather not get a pick than let Gronk go play with Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

No brainer for the Pats, he was never going to agree to go anywhere else and it’s a different conference where they won’t meet unless they both make the SuperBowl. As jarring as it will be for some Pats fans to see arguably their two best players ever in another uniform they are getting a free fourth round pick. There was absolutely no incentive to block the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

No brainer for the Pats, he was never going to agree to go anywhere else and it’s a different conference where they won’t meet unless they both make the SuperBowl. As jarring as it will be for some Pats fans to see arguably their two best players ever in another uniform they are getting a free fourth round pick. There was absolutely no incentive to block the move.

If Gronk really wanted he could have un-retired and had his rights and $9 million cap hit revert to the Patriots. We've so little cap space that this would have forced us to cut him (as we knew he had no intention of playing for us), so a 4th round pick is a great bonus.

I hope Brady and Gronk tear it up in Tampa - it's not like they've joined the Jets!

Well it's not our two best players ever but likely our two most popular.
    Brady's obviously the GOAT and then John Hannah is next without question, after that there's a group that Gronk is a part of that includes Wilfork, Tippett, Brown, Law, Haynes and Seymour. Gilmour will join that group very soon and I suppose Edelman deserves a mention too.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Brady's obviously the GOAT and then John Hannah is next without question, after that there's a group that Gronk is a part of that includes Wilfork, Tippett, Brown, Law, Haynes and Seymour. Gilmour will join that group very soon and I suppose Edelman deserves a mention too.

I did say ‘arguably’. There is rarely consensus on these matters

• Advertisement

I did say ‘arguably’. There is rarely consensus on these matters
    I think you'll find consensus amongst Patriots fans as to who is no.1 and no.2.

I think you'll find consensus amongst Patriots fans as to who is no.1 and no.2.

If you say so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Being spiteful and petty for the sake of it isn't really the BB way though when it comes to making decisions he is known for pragmatism, not being a pissy little bitch basically.

Also, no way with how Kraft feels about both Brady and Gronk he was going to stand in the way of what a player who gave so much to the cause (and was apparently expendable two years ago anyway) wants. Its not how you do business and show gratitude to those who put the bodies on the line for your organisation, doesn't go with the image Kraft wants either for that matter.

Its also just pointless, I mean.....Gronk isn't going to play for the Patriots again, get the most value you can for him is the obvious thing to do really. Considering he was basically retired anything is a bonus. One of the all time greats to put on a Patriot uniform, again he has earned the right to play out his career where he likes in my opinion. If he wants one last ride with Brady I can both understand that and also wish him well in it.

I have no confusion where my loyalty lies, I just don't have any bitterness toward either player after the years of joy they have given me. I appreciate what they have done for the Patriots and don't see a need to punish.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If they had left us in their prime, it's a different story, but it's a Brady and Gronk that are well past their best. This is Jerry Rice at Seattle Seahawks here, we're unlikely to cross paths more than once in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 21,556 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hannah is before my time, I know he's in the hof (?) but I never saw him play so wouldnt be on my list.

Brady is obviously the GOAT in NE, behind him is a few players IMO, gronk is for sure one of them. Arguable Julian Edelman, Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymour, Troy Brown, and some others too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

ELM327 wrote: »
    Hannah is before my time, I know he's in the hof (?) but I never saw him play so wouldnt be on my list.

Brady is obviously the GOAT in NE, behind him is a few players IMO, gronk is for sure one of them. Arguable Julian Edelman, Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymour, Troy Brown, and some others too.

They're both the greatest players in their respective positions. Folks go on about longevity and such, arguing for Gonzalez or Gates, but no one in their right mind is taking either one over Gronk. With respect to the other players, Patriot heroes all, they're not in the same class.

They're both the greatest players in their respective positions. Folks go on about longevity and such, arguing for Gonzalez or Gates, but no one in their right mind is taking either one over Gronk. With respect to the other players, Patriot heroes all, they're not in the same class.
    Well for me the best all time TE is between Gronk and Witten. Witten could do it all too, receive, block for runners/receivers and pass protect.
    Hell I remember John Madden talking about how great Jason Witten was, calling him the best in the game, and he's retired for 11 years. Witten has had an incredible career spanning 17 years at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Gonalez was great. Not the complete TE like Gronk, but they both are the best I've seen in the 25yrs I've been watching.
    I remember that game against the Falcons in 2013, and Gonaldez was double teamed (eventually 3x teamed) and he still had a great night (14 targets, 12 receptions, 149 yards, and 2 TDs. No surprise to see them both make the NFL 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Well for me the best all time TE is between Gronk and Witten. Witten could do it all too, receive, block for runners/receivers and pass protect.
    Hell I remember John Madden talking about how great Jason Witten was, calling him the best in the game, and he's retired for 11 years. Witten has had an incredible career spanning 17 years at this stage.

Madden obviously hadn't called a gronk game so. Gronk in his pomp was unstoppable. A redzone machine
    He had more tds than witten in half the games played. What he achieved in a short enough career span for a te was phenomenal. The crazy thing is if his body has healed there could be mileage in that tank yet and could go for a few years if minded. Looking forward to seeing him back. A true character

dh1985 wrote:
    Madden obviously hadn't called a gronk game so. Gronk in his pomp was unstoppable. A redzone machine He had more tds than witten in half the games played. What he achieved in a short enough career span for a te was phenomenal. The crazy thing is if his body has healed there could be mileage in that tank yet and could go for a few years minded. Looking forward to seeing him back. A true character
    I'm certainly not disagreeing with you as regards what Gronk achieved when healthy. The shortness of the career is the only detractor but it's a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,556 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think Gronk's peak was higher than witten's
    But witten had almost a decade at 90%-95% of gronk's couple of peak years.

You can't overlook Witten, or Gonzalez for that matter but yeah Witten for his years of production and his ability to do absolutely everything would have him in the discussion. Nobody touches Gronk in my eyes though, he is as good as it gets in that position. I wouldn't say he had a short career but I understand that Witten torches him for longevity but when you see the numbers it only adds to Gronks case for being the ATG I think. The longevity is a big plus for Witten but it also highlights just how much more productive Gronk was in the position.

I don't think Gronk is looking to play on any longer than Brady. Probably one more year and evaluate but likely a one and done. He doesn't need the money, he obviously just wants to come back to play with Tom and have a Michael Jordan 'The Last Dance' season is my take on it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Lee has talent if he can stay on the healthy which has always been a struggle for him, I'd guess he doesn't make it past TC.

Does Gronk being traded have any implications on the cap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Does Gronk being traded have any implications on the cap?

No - he didn't have any cap hit against 2020 so we don't get any relief. There's no dead cap/money hit either.

Can't say I know a lot about him, and taking a DB in the second round with so many holes on offence is just confusing (ok its BB so not totally confusing, maybe I was just hopeful:)) but welcome to New England lad

One of the funniest comments from last night

"God bless Jarret stidham, he's gonna be throwing to a kicker by the end of the season isn't he?"

:)

D is looking good though.

Funny thing is there are lots of decent receivers still up for grabs.
    I like Tyler Johnson as a possession receiver, not a fast guy but a good route runner, always available and has a huge catch radius. He's the type that opens the field up for others and great in short yardage(under 10 yards) situations.
    Quez Watkins is an intriguing prospect out of Southern Mississippi, blazing speed and he looks like a guy that will improve as he has each of the last two seasons.
    I hope we get Johnson or somebody like him as our biggest problem last season was receivers not being able to find space.

So we take a kicker in the fifth round who I personally believe would have been available in the seventh round.
    Two picks later the Bucs take Tyler Johnson, watch him become one of Brady's favourite targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's a photo that is here to stay. It's never going to get old.

Would have thought the Patriots would have learnt their lesson with players with controversial tattoos
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/patriots-kicker-justin-rohrwasser-to-cover-three-percenter-tattoo/

Shedite27 wrote:
    Would have thought the Patriots would have learnt their lesson with players with controversial tattoos
    This is very minor. The New York post is like the sun in the UK.

• Advertisement

This is very minor. The New York post is like the sun in the UK.
    Every newspaper on the planet is running the story, from USA today and Washington Post to The Guardian and Irish Times. Granted it's a slow news day but anyone sporting a far right tattoo immediately has questionmarks. Hopefully the Pats have done their background checks on him anyway

Advertisement