Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/Documents/ParksBye-Laws2D.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjd04Th8p_qAhXAXhUIHaZJB7oQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw2xTip_dPtx7sFAjg6mco6e

Section 4.6.g

Though it is unclear if they classify bicycles as vehicles or not.

4.6 TRAFFIC, BICYCLES, SKATEBOARDS ETC.
    (a) No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blades,
    or other vehicle in any park or open space except on such routes and in
    such places as may be designated by the Council for that purpose.
    (b) No person shall leave any vehicle unattended in any park or open space,
    except in such places as may be set aside as standing or parking places.
    (c) No person other than employees or agents of the Council shall drive or
    be a passenger in a mechanically propelled vehicle in any park or open
    space except on authorised routes.
    (d) No person shall wheel a non-mechanical vehicle in any park or open
    space except on authorised routes.
    (e) Bye-Law 4.6(a) and 4.6(d) shall not apply to:
    (1) bicycles or tricycles ridden by children under the age of 10 years
    who are accompanied by and under the care of an adult
    (2) bicycles using designated cycle lanes.
    (f) All persons to whom Bye-laws 4.6 (a), 4.6 (c) and 4.6(d) apply shall
    stop when called upon to do so by signal or otherwise by an employee
    or agent of the Council or by a member of An Garda Síochána.
    (g) The speed limit for all vehicles on authorised routes in any park or open
    space shall be ten kilometres per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Hurrache wrote: »
    How many motorways are there in Ireland in which there's 3 lanes and the speed limit is 120?

Well, there's the circular one that goes all the way around Dublin that I'd use reasonably frequently.
    You should stay indoors, what with all the accidents you're involved in and fear of cyclists in the city centre. Ever think it may be you?

I have never been involved in an "accident" involving a cyclist or another car. I've been hit twice by cyclists, so two incidents. "All" would seem a bit of a stretch for two incidents. No, it's not me, it's plenty of other people, too.

So signage painted on the ground? Again which particular parks you're seeing this in would be helpful.

How would it be helpful?

Is it ok for a cyclist to break this posted speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Well, there's the circular one that goes all the way around Dublin that I'd use reasonably frequently.

And the speed limit in the section on that circular that had 3 lanes, like I asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Wrong on pretty much all counts.

Cycling's great. Lots of my friends and family are into it. The more people who cycle, the fewer who are in cars, the faster my bus can get me to work or home, when I'm back on public transport. Personally, I prefer running. But am looking at e-bikes and thinking, maybe...

I fully support segregated cycling infrastructure. The Liffey cycle track is great and I really like the green light for cyclists a few seconds earlier than for motorists.

I've no problem hanging back when I come across a couple of cyclists on a back road, or a main road for that matter, until I can safely pass, and teaching my son to drive at the moment, I emphasise the need to give cyclists space and to beware possibly erratic cycling as they avoid potholes or idiots opening car doors without looking.

I'd just like to be able to walk or run on the footpath without having to dodge cyclists (again, cos apparently it needs to be repeated, I'm not bothered by young kids on bikes on the footpath), and not see them fly through red lights, whether it's for pedestrians or anyone using the road.

Doesn't seem too much to ask, really.

I don't think there's anything unreasonable in any of that.

Leaving aside all the other various noise in this thread, here's my personal take on cycling on footpaths:

1) I sometimes ride on the footpath along with the kids. Reason I dont let them ride on the footpath and ride on the road myself is that on some of the roads, going at their speed on the side of the road makes me feel like a sitting duck (pun not intended) for some drivers that are lacking in the patience department.

2) When on my own, or with other experience riders, I happy enough to ride on roads. I can't say I never ride on footpaths because the general quality of some of our infrastructure is so bad that sometimes shared path etc have complete lack of decent signage. I have sometimes gotten the feeling that a shared path I was on already finished and is now just a footpath and I was somehow supposed to know this.

3) If my partner, who is much less experienced riding on Irish roads) went out, I would feel much safer if she takes the footpath in certain areas, because TBH I see too much impatient and downright dangerous behavior by drivers to feel confident that I can trust them to keep my loved ones safe when they are so vulnerable on the road.

4) I would expect my partner, or anyone who uses a footpath while on the bike to display absolute courtesy and respect to anyone they encounter walking on footpaths at the same time. I always impress this on my kids that in using the footpaths they should considers themselves guests and always give priority and respect to those walking.

5) I've no time for the tossers you see around the city centre that bully their way through people on footpaths - they should be dealt with, without a doubt.

6) To re-use your phrase, I just want for me, and my loved ones to be able to get from A to B on a bike without having to risk our lives. That doesn't seem too much to ask to me.

I find the roads today incredibly hostile towards people on bikes and I can't really understand why.

I find, even as someone who's pretty confident on a bike, there's certain rural roads near me that I still have to mentally "armour myself up" before I ride on them. The reason being, some driver behavior is bad - ranging from casually careless to full-on psychotic towards people on bikes. Given those attitudes are on display, I don't condemn anyone who uses an available footpath (respectfully, as above) out of fear of how certain drivers drive.

For some reason, driver behavior varies wildly according to whether I am together with my family (ah, that's nice, a family out for a cycle together), or out by myself (male, middle aged cyclist - teach the f**ker a lesson !). I think the fact that this diversity of driver care exists is indicative of a big bullying problem on our roads that the state seems blissfully unaware of , but IMO its something that needs to be recognised and tackled strongly.

Leaving aside the ignorant idiots mentioned in 5) , I think many people are using the footpath out of fear. As another poster said - tackle the root cause behind that which is people, when they use the road, having to deal with hostile and endangering behavior from a certain section of drivers.

My 2c.

• Advertisement

And the speed limit in the section on that circular that had 3 lanes, like I asked?

Well, variable, depending on what bit you're on. Why don't you look it up?

Or are you trying to score some pedantic victory? "HA! The bit of the M50 that has 3 lanes only ever has a max limit of 100kmph, YOU SPEED MANIAC MONSTER!"

Well, variable, depending on what bit you're on. Why don't you look it up?

Or are you trying to score some pedantic victory? "HA! The bit of the M50 that has 3 lanes only ever has a max limit of 100kmph, YOU SPEED MANIAC MONSTER!"

I'm know exactly what they are. You put your foot in it, again, and trying to brush it off. You whinge about cyclists breaking a limit, of which you can't say, and when you spoof about the limit in the motorway you make light out of it and try sweep it away that it's no harm breaking it. Hypocrite much?

So I'll ask again, what's the limit on the 3 lane sections of the M50 that you feel you have to repeat a complaint of driving at 100 in the middle lane?

It's an easy question for someone who uses it regularly and are so opinionated about how others can't understand the rotr.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How would it be helpful?

Is it ok for a cyclist to break this posted speed limit?

It would be helpful to know what exactly you mean by 'speed limit posted'. Posted where and in what context? Are you saying that the limit is painted on the ground?

Don't travel it too often but isn't the section j13 to j17 three lanes 120Kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

M50 is 2 lanes from junction 14 to 17. All the 3 lane sections are 100km/hr.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good god. the M50 is 30km at 100km/h, and 7km at 120km/h.

and you thought it was 120km/h all the way round?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Don't travel it too often but isn't the section j13 to j17 three lanes 120Kph?

It's only 2 lanes from junction 14, which is where the limit increases, like any good motorist who uses it regularly would know.

Just because we have bikes doesn't mean we don't drive it ourselves.

However evidentialy some motorists are completely unobservant to how they should drive and what the rules are, the typical hurlers from the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

good god. the M50 is 30km at 100km/h, and 7km at 120km/h.

and you thought it was 120km/h all the way round?

In fairness most people use it at 120 kph plus, so can see where he got that from. But yeah, speeding cyclists:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Bless your eyesight that you can see them spewing germs.
    But yes, it's illegal, germs or not, but no-one is bothered doing anything to put a stop to it.

Nah, it is not illegal, cycling dangerously is illegal but cycling on a path is not, otherwise 5 year-olds would be breaking the law for cycling on the path and would be forced to cycle their tricycles on the road with cars, which would be a bit mad, wouldn't it?

I saw a jogger jogging IN THE CYCLE LANE recently, instead of on the path! SO I was going to start a thread on Boards about it and get outraged, but do you know what I did instead? I just got on with my life.

It's only 2 lanes from junction 14, which is where the limit increases, like any good motorist who uses it regularly would know.

Just because we have bikes doesn't mean we don't drive it ourselves.

However evidentialy some motorists are completely unobservant to how they should drive and what the rules are, the typical hurlers from the ditch.

I don't use it very often and I'll bow to anyone who uses it more often, but I was right about it being 120Kph even from distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    In fairness most people use it at 120 kph plus, so can see where he got that from. But yeah, speeding cyclists:rolleyes:

Okay I'll put my hand up. I broke the speed limit on the 100km/hr section the other day with a bike on the back of the car.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Spook_ie wrote: »
    but I was right about it being 120Kph even from distant memory.

C'mon now, let go of the straws you're frantically clutching at You weren't right about what we were talking about and who my barbs were aimed at.

Stark wrote: »
    Okay I'll put my hand up. I broke the speed limit on the 100km/hr section the other day with a bike on the back of the car.

That's a double fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Rezident wrote: »
    Nah, it is not illegal, cycling dangerously is illegal but cycling on a path is not, otherwise 5 year-olds would be breaking the law for cycling on the path and would be forced to cycle their tricycles on the road with cars, which would be a bit mad, wouldn't it?

I saw a jogger jogging IN THE CYCLE LANE recently, instead of on the path! SO I was going to start a thread on Boards about it and get outraged, but do you know what I did instead? I just got on with my life.

Those pesky joggers giving us runners a bad name again!!
    :D

C'mon now, let go of the straws you're frantically clutching at You weren't right about what we were talking about and who my barbs were aimed at.

I'm clutching no straws, I drive northside and only southside once in a bluemoon and I don't take my passengers for round trips on the M50, so as I said I'll bow judgement to anyone that does use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Rezident wrote: »

Cycling on the pavement is illegal even for 5 year olds. Thankfully it’s not enforced.

I'd just like to be able to walk or run on the footpath without having to dodge cyclists (again, cos apparently it needs to be repeated, I'm not bothered by young kids on bikes on the footpath), and not see them fly through red lights, whether it's for pedestrians or anyone using the road.

Doesn't seem too much to ask, really.

Like this, you mean?

https://streamable.com/lyie8l

Like this, you mean?

https://streamable.com/lyie8l

No, because that's a car driver, not a bike.

Again, deflection, all the ****ing time from you. "LOOK, A CAR DID SOMETHING WRONG!"

And if I could be arsed, I'd stand at Amiens Street or Raheny or Fairview or Pearse Street or wherever traffic lights or junctions and video > 90% of cyclists approach the red lights then keep on going straight through.

Difference is I can acknowledge that the drivers shouldn't be doing it, whereas your reaction is "Well if other people are doing it then I can."

No, because that's a car driver, not a bike.

Again, deflection, all the ****ing time from you. "LOOK, A CAR DID SOMETHING WRONG!"

And if I could be arsed, I'd stand at Amiens Street or Raheny or Fairview or Pearse Street or wherever traffic lights or junctions and video > 90% of cyclists approach the red lights then keep on going straight through.

Difference is I can acknowledge that the drivers shouldn't be doing it, whereas your reaction is "Well if other people are doing it then I can."

Cyclists break red light! We know that. The Gardai don’t care, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

07Lapierre wrote: »

Funny you should say that. I was out for a cycle last night and was stopped at a set of lights when two other cyclists came up behind me and kept going through the red. It takes a special kind of eejit though to keep going through the red when the car at the top of the line of traffic is a cop car.
    The two were pulled over straight away, to be honest I thought it was a glorious moment.
    Was the only good part of the cycle though as I was still feeling the effects of the night before celebrating Liverpool, my legs didn't want to do what my head wanted them too :D

FinnC wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. I was out for a cycle last night and was stopped at a set of lights when two other cyclists came up behind me and kept going through the red. It takes a special kind of eejit though to keep going through the red when the car at the top of the line of traffic is a cop car.
    The two were pulled over straight away, to be honest I thought it was a glorious moment.
    Was the only good part of the cycle though as I was still feeling the effects of the night before celebrating Liverpool, my legs didn't want to do what my head wanted them too :D

Good...delighted to hear it!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Good...delighted to hear it!

One of these things is not like the other...

You're joining the "non-cyclist says something, it's bad/cyclist says something, it's good!" camp? Move over, Thelonius and Andy, you have more company.

, whereas your reaction is "Well if other people are doing it then I can."
    Where exactly did I say this please?

One of these things is not like the other...

You're joining the "non-cyclist says something, it's bad/cyclist says something, it's good!" camp? Move over, Thelonius and Andy, you have more company.

One incident where a muppet is stopped by a Garda for RLJ is very rare! Hardly proof that Gardai take RLJ by cyclists seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Where exactly did I say this please?

Don't you dare describe that scrote as a 'biker'. He's a kid on a scrambler with no insurance and no licence. He crashes, my insurance helps pay for it.

Do you have the word 'cyclist' on some sort of alert? Because whenever anybody says anything in any forum about illegal behaviour of cyclists, you're in like a shot trying to excuse it. It's pathetic really.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement