Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Every time I go out I see cyclists breaking red lights too, but it's not just when the lights turn red from amber.

If you stand at the likes of the corner of Stephen's Green and Grafton Street, where the lights change to red after about three cars go through, you will see bicycles continue to go through for the whole time they're red. As they can get away with it.

Same with the pedestrian lights at Westland Row. And the Liffey Cycle Route at the pinch points where there's pedestrian lights.

https://youtu.be/Brh9Dv_5NaA

Other cities have similar. Traffic lights where intended to control the flow of cars and give pedestrians a tiny windows in which to cross the road. People cycled for decades before cars without lights

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Should cyclists stick to speed limits. Yes or no?

Bicycles no. E-bikes yes (Speed limits apply to motorised vehicles only)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Grand.

I have never complained about kids on the footpath on a bike on this thread or elsewhere, and I don't think anyone else has, either. I'm fine with kids on the footpath. When they hit puberty, turn 16, and get their mountain bikes, now - that's a different story.

I don't think anyone is saying there's a huge danger to pedestrians from rude/inconsiderate/lazy ****ers on bikes on footpaths (though collisions and injuries do occur and the vast majority go unrecorded) - just that it's rude, inconsiderate and lazy and is annoying to pedestrians.

All of this has already been gone over, multiple times, on the thread.

Can you enlighten me, though - why are people cycling on Seán O'Casey Bridge; or on the wide footpath on the likes of Stephen's Green (which actually has a segregated cycle lane in parts). There's no danger from cars in either place. But it would be a tad longer to cycle the long way around the Green, or to get off your bike and wheel it across SOC Bridge...

Can you really complain about drivers breaking the ROTR by parking badly if you're fine with cyclists breaking the ROTR? You don't find that a little hypocritical, no?

I never said I was fine with cyclists breaking the rules of the road, in fact it annoys me but in the grand scheme of things it's inconsequential to the numbers of people getting killed or injured by drivers breaking the rules of the road. The data bears that out. So being a lot more vocal about drivers and rules of the road makes more sense to me and that's where the focus should lie. At the end of the day, am I going to be more bothered about something that annoys me or something that could kill me?

In relation to Stephens Green and Sean O'Casey bridge, for the bridge it's been a few years since I used to walk that bridge every day to and from work and I do recall at the time that the no cycling signage was tiny and not very clear, maybe that has changed now so yes I agree cyclists should dismount on that. I don't walk the Green area of town much so I can't comment on that as I don't know the location very well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Should cyclists stick to speed limits. Yes or no?
    speed limits don't apply to cyclists, so there's no speed limit for them to stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Bicycles no. E-bikes yes (Speed limits apply to motorised vehicles only)

My local park has a speed limit posted for bikes. It's completely ignored by 100% of cyclists. Most of the time, that's grand, but the park has been really busy of late, and there's still muppets treating it as a sprint track.

• Advertisement

My local park has a speed limit posted for bikes. It's completely ignored by 100% of cyclists. Most of the time, that's grand, but the park has been really busy of late, and there's still muppets treating it as a sprint track.

I know how you feel. My local MOTORWAY has a speed limit posted for vehicles. It's completely ignored by 100% of Vehicles. Most of the time, that's grand, but the Motorway is getting busier of late, and there's still muppet's treating it as a race track.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There are no speed limits for bikes, so someone has posted a meaningless sign. Also bikes are not equipped with speedometers, so add another layer of idiocy to your latest angle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speed limits don't apply to cyclists, so there's no speed limit for them to stick to.
    i assume you knew this? or why were you asking about it?
    if you had known it, i assume the question would have been 'should speed limits apply to cyclists?'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Can never understand why this even comes up. The 30kph limits within Dublin are not adhered to by 100% of drivers.

OMG We have AJR +2%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

though collisions and injuries do occur and the vast majority go unrecorded

You can't just throw out made up stuff like that. You can't decide something is true and then use it in an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What park is this please?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I know how you feel. My local MOTORWAY has a speed limit posted for vehicles. It's completely ignored by 100% of Vehicles. Most of the time, that's grand, but the Motorway is getting busier of late, and there's still muppet's treating it as a race track.

I think you're exaggerating, LaPierre. Every vehicle on your local motorway is doing in excess of 120KMhh? Really?! That'd make the news, surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

I think you're exaggerating, LaPierre. Every vehicle on your local motorway is doing in excess of 120KMhh? Really?! That'd make the news, surely!

You just posted previously to this that 100% cyclists broke speed limit through a park. When someone else says 100% they are exaggerating?

Your 100% up your own arse.

Thargor wrote: »
    There are no speed limits for bikes, so someone has posted a meaningless sign. Also bikes are not equipped with speedometers, so add another layer of idiocy to your latest angle.

There may or not be speed limits for bikes on the public road (does an e-bike count as a bike? What about a scooter?) - I've not looked.

There are park bye-laws, and they include a speed limit. You may want to look it up. So you avoid idiocy. :rolleyes:

There may or not be speed limits for bikes on the public road (does an e-bike count as a bike? What about a scooter?) - I've not looked.
    bleedin nora. don't lecture us about the ROTR so, when you were using that as a stick to use against cyclists so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Still waiting on answer to AJR's question. What park is it so we can look it up?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

You just posted previously to this that 100% cyclists broke speed limit through a park. When someone else says 100% they are exaggerating?

Your 100% up your own arse.

The speed limit for a bicycle in a public park in Dublin City Council parks is 10kmh. It's pretty impossible to believe anyone would keep to 10kmh on a bike. I don't think anyone would expect it, really.

But I have seen idiots doing full tilt even when the park is full of people, including families with young (unpredictable) kids and dogs.

Everyone on a motorway doing >120kmh, though? Never seen it.

(If you pop over to the motoring threads you'll no doubt find people complaining about people tootling along at 100kmh in the middle lane).

You're 100% up your own arse. :wink:

the speed doesn't, but the crashes / tailbacks do.

You can't just throw out made up stuff like that. You can't decide something is true and then use it in an argument.

I've not reported any of the collisions I've been involved in with cyclists. Nor has anyone else I know who has been hit by a cyclist.

Now. We both know another poster on here who regularly talks about 98% of drivers. Are you going to have a go at him, too?

What park is this please?

It's actually every park controlled by Dublin City Council. I think that leaves out the Phoenix Park, possibly inside Stephen's Green, too, but every other Dublin park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Spook_ie wrote: »
    OMG We have AJR +2%

True though. We have people moaning about cyclists adhering to non existent speed limits when motorists completely ignore them.

Stark wrote: »
    Still waiting on answer to AJR's question. What park is it so we can look it up?

All of them.

I've not reported any of the collisions I've been involved in with cyclists. Nor has anyone else I know who has been hit by a cyclist.

Now. We both know another poster on here who regularly talks about 98% of drivers. Are you going to have a go at him, too?

No because there was a report published after a survey for that 98% figure. I have sped many times while driving, everyone does.
    And you must be doing something wrong if you and your friends are getting hit by cyclists, I don't know anyone who's ever had this problem.

It's actually every park controlled by Dublin City Council. I think that leaves out the Phoenix Park, possibly inside Stephen's Green, too, but every other Dublin park.
    Thanks.
    Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by 'speed limit posted'?

Is there a speed limit sign? Or is the 10 kmph listed on some general signage?

No because there was a report published after a survey for that 98% figure. I have sped many times while driving, everyone does.
    And you must be doing something wrong if you and your friends are getting hit by cyclists, I don't know anyone who's ever had this problem.

Why do you think we're complaining about cyclists?!

I've already written on here about the two times it's happened to me in the last year. And the one time I got given out to for telling a cyclist to get off the ****ing footpath as she cycled towards me through the scaffolding outside Toners.

I don't go out of my way to get hit by cyclists, obviously, apart from walking on footpaths. How disgraceful of me. I will also not get out of the way of a cyclist on a footpath (unless it's a young kid). Some of them seem a bit shocked by this.

Thanks.
    Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by 'speed limit posted'?

Is there a speed limit sign? Or is the 10 kmph listed on some general signage?

Wherever there's a picture of a bike on the cycle track, there's a big circle with the speed limit posted. You don't have to go looking it up, it's right there.

Why do you think we're complaining about cyclists?!

I've already written on here about the two times it's happened to me in the last year. And the one time I got given out to for telling a cyclist to get off the ****ing footpath as she cycled towards me through the scaffolding outside Toners.

I don't go out of my way to get hit by cyclists, obviously, apart from walking on footpaths. How disgraceful of me. I will also not get out of the way of a cyclist on a footpath (unless it's a young kid). Some of them seem a bit shocked by this.

God you're really principled on this matter, stand your ground, well done.
    You're complaining about cyclists because you're one of this oddballs that hates cyclists and picks up on anything they can to direct hatred at them. I think it's some kind of insecurity that motorists have that I can't quite figure out yet.
    Have you thought about ringing radio phone in shows on the matter?

God you're really principled on this matter, stand your ground, well done.
    You're complaining about cyclists because you're one of this oddballs that hates cyclists and picks up on anything they can to direct hatred at them. I think it's some kind of insecurity that motorists have that I can't quite figure out yet.
    Have you thought about ringing radio phone in shows on the matter?

Wrong on pretty much all counts.

Cycling's great. Lots of my friends and family are into it. The more people who cycle, the fewer who are in cars, the faster my bus can get me to work or home, when I'm back on public transport. Personally, I prefer running. But am looking at e-bikes and thinking, maybe...

I fully support segregated cycling infrastructure. The Liffey cycle track is great and I really like the green light for cyclists a few seconds earlier than for motorists.

I've no problem hanging back when I come across a couple of cyclists on a back road, or a main road for that matter, until I can safely pass, and teaching my son to drive at the moment, I emphasise the need to give cyclists space and to beware possibly erratic cycling as they avoid potholes or idiots opening car doors without looking.

I'd just like to be able to walk or run on the footpath without having to dodge cyclists (again, cos apparently it needs to be repeated, I'm not bothered by young kids on bikes on the footpath), and not see them fly through red lights, whether it's for pedestrians or anyone using the road.

Doesn't seem too much to ask, really.

Wherever there's a picture of a bike on the cycle track, there's a big circle with the speed limit posted. You don't have to go looking it up, it's right there.

So signage painted on the ground? Again which particular parks you're seeing this in would be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

(If you pop over to the motoring threads you'll no doubt find people complaining about people tootling along at 100kmh in the middle lane).

How many motorways are there in Ireland in which there's 3 lanes and the speed limit is 120?

You should stay indoors, what with all the accidents you're involved in and fear of cyclists in the city centre. Ever think it may be you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement