Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Did you bother to read the ACTUAL replies to that question?

Collided with a dangerous gradient
    Collided with a pothole
    Collided with a Frozen Road
    Collided with Cycle Lane Disappeared
    Collided with Not Given

It would seem to me to be a simple enough question, and to be honest I could accept Jeep, SUV and Range Rover as likely being the same type of vehicle but the answers would seem to be how thick some of the cyclists responding to the survey are. Perhaps it also indicates why you ( and others ) persist with your typical replies of " throwing mud around" "desperation" " you just hate cyclists" etc.

Perhaps if you got off of your high nellies once in a while we could progress debates but not while you and your colleagues drop to insults and generalisations

drop insults? you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Collided with a pothole
    Collided with Not Given

It would seem to me to be a simple enough question, and to be honest I could accept Jeep, SUV and Range Rover as likely being the same type of vehicle but the answers would seem to be how thick some of the cyclists responding to the survey are. Perhaps it also indicates why you ( and others ) persist with your typical replies of " throwing mud around" "desperation" " you just hate cyclists" etc.

Perhaps if you got off of your high nellies once in a while we could progress debates but not while you and your colleagues drop to insults and generalisations

I'd be more inclined to see suppose thickness in those who can't (or won't) recognise that the co-relation between the actual questions put to people in surveys and how the results are written up is often not exact and can be a bit clumsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Collided with a pothole
    Collided with Not Given

It looks like the 'collided with' is being added behind the scenes, which is why it seems a little off to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

07Lapierre wrote: »
    From the UK, but this also happens a lot on narrower roads..

Big difference is that the police immediately made contact with the tweeter in order to take action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

How did he know he was going to the Golf Club?

• Advertisement

Who cares what're he's going? A convertible Audi? Yeah probably a (bad) amateur Golfer alright! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

drop insults? you first.

I try not to insult people because I've had more than my share of run ins with Monument in his capacity as moderator, if you have examples of where my debating has exceeded the norms of conversation then please do highlight them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I try not to insult people because I've had more than my share of run ins with Monument in his capacity as moderator, if you have examples of where my debating has exceeded the norms of conversation then please do highlight them

Do not discuss moderation or gripes with moderators on thread, it is against the charter and if it continues will result in sanctions.

You failed on that score.

Who cares what're he's going? A convertible Audi? Yeah probably a (bad) amateur Golfer alright! :)

Jebebus...cyclists who hate to be stereotyped have no problem stereotyping another group of people... interesting...

• Advertisement

ewc78 wrote: »
    Jebebus...cyclists who hate to be stereotyped have no problem stereotyping another group of people... interesting...

The smiley face at the end should have given you a hint that I was JOKING!

Us cyclists have a sense of humour.

Us cyclists have a sense of humour.

I don't believe you.

I don't believe you.

Ah you drive an Audi right? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't believe you.

We've been entertaining this thread for long enough, it anything it's humour at endurance level.

FinnC wrote: »
    This is very strange behaviour imo. It's not your job to police other road users.
    You'll do it to the wrong person someday.

What's strange about it? Do you not say anything when you see somebody driving in a way that endangers you?

I don't get to police anything. Sometimes, I get to talk to other adults, one adult to another, to say things like 'could you put your phone down when you're driving' or similar. What's wrong with that? Do you ever speak up to others? If a dog walker lets their dog crap on your lawn every morning, are you going to say anything or are you going to speak up?

Anyway, back to dangerous drivers - I saw another of those 'exceedingly rare' late red-light-jumpers today, a full six seconds after the light had gone red. I don't think he was a 'menacing with intent' driver, as he was decent enough to hold back and let me pull out to pass the bus. And then he drove straight through the red light.

https://streamable.com/lyie8l

Maybe he missed this set of lights and was focused on the next set of lights over the bridge? Either way, it would be a fairly clear indication that if I can spot three of these events in two weeks, perhaps they're not quite as exceedingly rare as some might suggest.

Ah you drive an Audi right? :):)
    Oh wait was I supposed to put a smiley face at the end of that last post to show you I was joking?

But since you asked.I doubt I'd be able fit 2 extension ladders, 2 A frame ladders, masonary drills, tool boxes and multiple rolls of cable in the back of an Audi convertible.

I don't Golf either btw before you ask, my hurling grip wasn't suited to a smooth swing.
    *insert smiley face*

Hurrache wrote: »
    Big difference is that the police immediately made contact with the tweeter in order to take action.

Ultimately no one got hurt though eh?

Oh wait was I supposed to put a smiley face at the end of that last post to show you I was joking?

But since you asked.I doubt I'd be able fit 2 extension ladders, 2 A frame ladders, masonary drills, tool boxes and multiple rolls of cable in the back of an Audi convertible.

I don't Golf either btw before you ask, my hurling grip wasn't suited to a smooth swing.
    *insert smiley face*

Ah "white van man"! Gotcha! ;)

Black actually. I'm not a Plumber ffs.
    Black Vans Matter.

Black actually. I'm not a Plumber ffs.
    Black Vans Matter.

BLACK! OMG! I hope your DRL’s are working and you’ve wired the back lights into them? Have you considered a few Hi viz/ day glow stripes down the side of your van!

• Advertisement

BLACK! OMG! I hope your DRL’s are working and you’ve wired the back lights into them? Have you considered a few Hi viz/ day glow stripes down the side of your van!

That is someone else's fight not mine!
    No interest in being dragged into it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

you need to go and have your van sprayed in yellow hi vis paint IMMEDIATELY. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

I have a white van, and I cycle and I play Golf and the wife has an Audi which I sometimes drive..!
    I even sometimes have the Golf clubs and the bikes in the back of the white van at the same time..!!!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    you need to go and have your van sprayed in yellow hi vis paint IMMEDIATELY. :D

FinnC wrote: »
    I have a white van, and I cycle and I play Golf and the wife has an Audi which I sometimes drive..!
    I even sometimes have the Golf clubs and the bikes in the back of the white van at the same time..!!!

I'm speechless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Anyway, back to dangerous drivers - I saw another of those 'exceedingly rare' late red-light-jumpers today...

But ultimately nobody got hurt, eh?

Not this time, though two or three people are killed each week by motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Except people do get hurt. Shrugging your shoulders and saying it's grand, nobody got hurt so poor driver behaviour is excused is deplorable.

Poor driving increases the chances of tragic consequences when the vehicle you are driving weighs 1.5-40 tonnes. The responsibility of that is not taken seriously be a large cohort of drivers and I find that abhorrent. Selfish individuals that put their own time and convenience ahead of the lives of everyone else.

Today's news made me sick to my stomach:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-dies-following-collision-between-car-and-lorry-in-kildare-1007458.html
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/young-boy-in-critical-condition-following-collision-between-bike-and-jeep-1007436.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Except people do get hurt. Shrugging your shoulders and saying it's grand, nobody got hurt so poor driver behaviour is excused is deplorable.

Poor driving increases the chances of tragic consequences when the vehicle you are driving weighs 1.5-40 tonnes. The responsibility of that is not taken seriously be a large cohort of drivers and I find that abhorrent. Selfish individuals that put their own time and convenience ahead of the lives of everyone else.

Today's news made me sick to my stomach:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-dies-following-collision-between-car-and-lorry-in-kildare-1007458.html
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/young-boy-in-critical-condition-following-collision-between-bike-and-jeep-1007436.html

I saw these, horrible. There was also a cyclist killed in Limerick last night -

https://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-rtc-5133576-Jun2020/

bad day all round. Those comments are going to get toxic very quickly on the journal I bet.
    I had to cycle up to Ballymun yesterday hadn't been out on the bike in traffic like that in a while, but some of the driving is just atrocious, people passing within inches of me, buses too. I really hope more segregated infrastructure comes about from this PFG mullarkey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that poor kid in carlow has unfortunately succumbed to his injuries overnight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement