Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't you dare describe that scrote as a 'biker'. He's a kid on a scrambler with no insurance and no licence.
    are cyclists now allowed disavow assholes on bikes as not being 'cyclists'? if we can, this whole thread vanishes in a puff of logic (well, i'd take any excuse for that at this stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't you dare describe that scrote as a 'biker'. He's a kid on a scrambler with no insurance and no licence. He crashes, my insurance helps pay for it.

Do you have the word 'cyclist' on some sort of alert? Because whenever anybody says anything in any forum about illegal behaviour of cyclists, you're in like a shot trying to excuse it. It's pathetic really.

I didn't describe him at all
    I just posted a link to the video. If you don't like the video title, take it up with the video owner.

And where exactly did I excuse illegal behaviour of cyclists please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Where exactly did I say this please?

Work with me here, but... when someone posts about cyclists breaking red lights, and you don't criticise the cyclists breaking red lights but instead post three videos of a red-light-breaking by cars and a motorbike, it seems to be saying "well, other people are doing it, so it's fine..."

Other posters have no problem saying it's wrong, but Andy? No, cyclists do no wrong, whatabout whatabout whatabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

61QrJzGw-YL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Work with me here, but... when someone posts about cyclists breaking red lights, and you don't criticise the cyclists breaking red lights but instead post three videos of a red-light-breaking by cars and a motorbike, it seems to be saying "well, other people are doing it, so it's fine..."

Other posters have no problem saying it's wrong, but Andy? No, cyclists do no wrong, whatabout whatabout whatabout...

So you're confirming that I didn't actually say that, but you want to make guesses about my opinions on the matter and have a go at me for the outcome of your guesses, have I got that right?

You haven't criticised beating up old women on this thread, so it seems like you're in favour of beating up old women. Is that how it works?

• Advertisement

So you're confirming that I didn't actually say that, but you want to make guesses about my opinions on the matter and have a go at me for the outcome of your guesses, have I got that right?

You haven't criticised beating up old women on this thread, so it seems like you're in favour of beating up old women. Is that how it works?

Nope.

Do you condone cyclists breaking red lights?

Do you condone cyclists breaking speed limits?

Still don't think we got an answer.

Nope.

Do you condone cyclists breaking red lights?

Still don't think we got an answer.

Work with me here, but... when someone posts a video of an underage uninsured scrambler bike rider breaking red lights, and you don't criticise the underage uninsured scrambler bike rider breaking red lights but instead keep banging on about cyclists and red lights, it seems to be saying "well, other people are doing it, so it's fine..."

Are you in favour of underage uninsured scrambler bike rider breaking red lights?

Honestly lads, could you not find enough in what I actually said to argue with, without worrying about "sins of omission"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you were talking on about rules of the road, and them being there for a reason, and then asked this question. and when it was pointed out that under the road traffic laws, speed limits simply don't apply to bikes, you moved the goalposts and claimed you were talking about laws within dublin city council parks (cos, obviously, we'd have copped what you meant). then you made clear you've been driving on the M50 without realising what the speed limit is(?), and are now talking about speed limits again.
    are you still talking about a fringe case regarding speed limits in council parks? or where are you going with that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

you were talking on about rules of the road, and them being there for a reason, and then asked this question. and when it was pointed out that under the road traffic laws, speed limits simply don't apply to bikes, you moved the goalposts and claimed you were talking about laws within dublin city council parks (cos, obviously, we'd have copped what you meant). then you made clear you've been driving on the M50 without realising what the speed limit is(?), and are now talking about speed limits again.
    are you still talking about a fringe case regarding speed limits in council parks? or where are you going with that question?
    I bet he was delighted when his little M50 slip went unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Guys must think they're on the section of road in which you don't need to know the rotr, like some guys (who are extremely familiar with it don't you know) think exist on the M50.

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1277251795644006400?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

FinnC wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. I was out for a cycle last night and was stopped at a set of lights when two other cyclists came up behind me and kept going through the red. It takes a special kind of eejit though to keep going through the red when the car at the top of the line of traffic is a cop car.
    The two were pulled over straight away, to be honest I thought it was a glorious moment.
    Was the only good part of the cycle though as I was still feeling the effects of the night before celebrating Liverpool, my legs didn't want to do what my head wanted them too :D

:D
    I love it when something like that happens.

funny thing is that one thing many of us cyclists hate is when we're stopped at traffic lights, another cyclist comes up from behind, passes you, and then plonks themselves right in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

funny thing is that one thing many of us cyclists hate is when we're stopped at traffic lights, another cyclist comes up from behind, passes you, and then plonks themselves right in front of you.

What's worse is when the light goes green, you overtake this cyclist and when you get to the next light, They don't take the hint and do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm worried when I start commuting to work again and start using the narrow section of the Liffey cycle route, I'll probably end up shooting one of them.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Ha. Try driving a bus and 20 cyclists do the same thing!!! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Especially when you've previously overtaken them.......FFS.

They also usually position themselves ahead of the line and are blissfully unaware the light has turned green.

And I'm the one who watching the lights and have began to move off just before the lights go green.

Ha. Try driving a bus and 20 cyclists do the same thing!!! ��

20 cyclists stopping at a red light? ;)

Ha. Try driving a bus and 20 cyclists do the same thing!!! ��

Or the bus driver who overtakes a cyclist just as a bus stop is approaching, indicates and just pulls in.

Yes.....Mr/Mrs bus driver, I am still here and right behind you close to the kerb.

Why did you feel you had to overtake me when you knew you were approaching a bus stop and potentially were going to have to stop.......wonderful driving there ......

micar wrote: »
    Or the bus driver who overtakes a cyclist just as a bus stop is approaching, indicates and just pulls in.

Yes.....Mr/Mrs bus driver, I am still here and right behind you close to the kerb.

Why did you feel you had to overtake me when you knew you were approaching a bus stop and potentially were going to have to stop.......wonderful driving there ......

whataboutery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What's the issue with cyclists filtering and getting to the top of the queue? In Dublin at least they will leave you for dusht... why the irritation?

• Advertisement

ewc78 wrote: »
    whataboutery.jpg

I know what it means.

I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

I know what it means.

I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Is that you Edmund?

ewc78 wrote: »
    Is that you Edmund?

Yes baldrick, it is I.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but nope.

I asked about bikes obeying speed limits, yes. My question, I think, still hasn't been answered. Andy instead got very stalkery and wants to know where I live. But still didn't answer the question.

I know perfectly well what the M50 speed limits are. I don't drive on it too often, thank ****, but there are plenty of places where it's three lanes wide.

So, yeah, magic - is it ok for bikes to break speed limits?

donvito99 wrote: »
    What's the issue with cyclists filtering and getting to the top of the queue? In Dublin at least they will leave you for dusht... why the irritation?

Can't answer for anyone else, but for me, say on a narrow road, I've slowed/waited til it's safe to pass the cyclist(s), I do so, come to the lights, I stop, they squeeze past and stop (assuming it's a junction with traffic coming the other way), lights change, they pull away, and now I have to pass them again.

Like, why not take the lane behind a motor vehicle and make it safer for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Can't answer for anyone else, but for me, say on a narrow road, I've slowed/waited til it's safe to pass the cyclist(s), I do so, come to the lights, I stop, they squeeze past and stop (assuming it's a junction with traffic coming the other way), lights change, they pull away, and now I have to pass them again.

Like, why not take the lane behind a motor vehicle and make it safer for yourself?

That's life pal. Traffic. Just like legally pulling in , in front of a cycle at a bus stop.

Let it wash over you.

And except it's war out there.

I have to say .. Plenty of cycles do hold off and stay behind if they know the road opens out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

On most urban bus routes, you're never far from a bus stop. The only way a bus driver can be guaranteed to avoid the situation you've described is to remain behind the cyclist at all times and allow that one individual to dictate the pace of the bus and its passengers. This is a very common occurrence in the bus lane along the Stillorgan Rd.

Like, why not take the lane behind the cyclist and make it safer for everyone?

What's the point in overtaking the cyclist when you know you're going to have to stop at the lights?

Why do Gardai waste their time stopping ordinary, descent, law abiding, tax paying motorists and instead, go after those lawbreaking cyclists? A Total waste of Garda resources! ;)

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/1277497231126429696?s=21

• Advertisement

I know perfectly well what the M50 speed limits are. I don't drive on it too often, thank ****, but there are plenty of places where it's three lanes wide.

So, yeah, magic - is it ok for bikes to break speed limits?
    your previous answer showed you didn't. don't get tired carrying those goalposts.

i don't have speed limits to adhere to on my bike, so again, your question is meaningless. you keep asking it in an unqualified manner, so i will continue to answer in the manner i do. you are asking 'is it OK for cyclists to *not* break the law in the RTAs'. it's like asking me 'is it OK to drive my car, which does not meet the safety regulations which apply to scuba diving gear'.

are you asking do i think it's OK for a cyclist to go faster than a speed limit that would apply to a motorist on a particular road?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement