Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SeanW wrote: »
    Nobody is excusing red light jumping by motorists. Even "safe" RLJing by motorists in the first few seconds of the red phase is an inconvenience to pedestrians
    But as we've seen, cyclist in our major cities tend to act very aggressively towards pedestrians, and have a holier-than-thou attitude to motorists who by and large are not terrible.
    this thread keeps on giving. ever had someone drive a car at you - deliberately or carelessly - in a way that you get a nice adrenaline kick of 'oh ****, this could get very nasty very quickly'?
    it happened me today. an SUV driver pulled out across in front of me without looking near sutton village, and seemed surprised that i was there, despite having been in view of her wing mirror for about five seconds before it happened.
    regarding a situation with a cyclist where i've thought the same thing (as a pedestrian); it has happened me twice, that i can remember.

i've had people deliberately swerve their cars at me, whether for their own enjoyment or out of some sense of duty towards supposedly hated cyclists. it's not fun. it probably counts as assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, I've NEVER had a motorist directly aim their car at me. Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have, after asking the driver of a Cork reg silver Merc to put their phone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You need to get out more. First time it happened to me was when I was 13 or 14 years old. I was in a car park on my bike. This car came into the car park and drove straight at me. Two guys in the car laughing. They screeched to a halt a few feet from me. Then they reversed at speed, did a "J" turn and sped off.

Not a pleasant experience.

The second time was when I was cycling to college. I was in the bus lane on the Malahide road. A van came along behind me a beeped at me to move over, when I said no, he drove straight into me. Well he would have only i veered to the left and "bunny hopped" up onto the pavement. Vanman proceeded to accelerate past me and thru the next junction.

• Advertisement

Third time was when I was descending the wicklow gap towards Laragh. I was doing about 70kph. A car coming towards me over took a cyclist who was coming up the hill just as I was approaching. Driver gave me "the finger" and was smiling at me as I passed (only inches from his drivers side mirror)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm not sure the poster is trolling. They could actually be deranged enough to be serious.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    Well he is happy when someone gets killed on the roads because it gives him more material here. So maybe...

For the record: The two lads have a few days to cool down. Personal attacks --especially at this level -- won't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have, after asking the driver of a Cork reg silver Merc to put their phone down.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    You need to get out more. First time it happened to me was when I was 13 or 14 years old. I was in a car park on my bike. This car came into the car park and drove straight at me. Two guys in the car laughing. They screeched to a halt a few feet from me. Then they reversed at speed, did a "J" turn and sped off.

Not a pleasant experience.
    The second time was when I was cycling to college. I was in the bus lane on the Malahide road. A van came along behind me a beeped at me to move over, when I said no, he drove straight into me. Well he would have only i veered to the left and "bunny hopped" up onto the pavement. Vanman proceeded to accelerate past me and thru the next junction.
    Third time was when I was descending the wicklow gap towards Laragh. I was doing about 70kph. A car coming towards me over took a cyclist who was coming up the hill just as I was approaching. Driver gave me "the finger" and was smiling at me as I passed (only inches from his drivers side mirror)

I have never as a pedestrian or a motorist, but I've had car drivers directly aim their cars at me on three occasions as a cyclists. One veered off at the last minute, two made contact and cravenly left the scene.

In fairness to you, I'd have a lot more road experience than you judging by the naivety of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

This is very strange behaviour imo. It's not your job to police other road users.
    You'll do it to the wrong person someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

Hurrache wrote: »
    Have you really not realised it's been a joke of a thread for weeks now in which attitudes like yours have been openly mocked?

I've only dipped in and out of it but it is really a joke of a thread. Neither side of this "debate" cover themselves in glory imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one reasonably recent example i have of a motorist deliberately trying to scare me for ****s'n'giggles was when i was outbound on the airport road, between the main airport roundabout and the coachman's roundabout. i was in the bus lane, and the road was pretty empty (it was early on a saturday morning) and some cock in a BMW blared past me maybe 50cm from me, at speed, leaning on the horn. he immediately swerved back out of the bus lane into the car lane, which was empty.

one reasonably recent example i have of a motorist deliberately trying to scare me for ****s'n'giggles was when i was outbound on the airport road, between the main airport roundabout and the coachman's roundabout. i was in the bus lane, and the road was pretty empty (it was early on a saturday morning) and some cock in a BMW blared past me maybe 50cm from me, at speed, leaning on the horn. he immediately swerved back out of the bus lane into the car lane, which was empty.

The road on the other side of the Airport from Santry to St. Margarets can be interesting too. A few times i've been cycling along the road towards Santry. two cars coming towards me. Second car decides to overtake the first, pulls out onto the wrong side of the road and accelerates towards me at 100+kph! it certainly gets my attention every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've a case going down the legal route at the moment in which someone driving a large vehicle when it got alongside me purposely drove me towards the footpath.

We all know it happens all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

https://infogram.com/what-did-cyclists-say-they-collided-with-1g94pk0nyr1023v
    Just curiosity made me click the link but how on earth do you manage to collide with a frozen road?

Seems to me that cyclists can't even answer surveys accurately :D

Had a giggle when people answered they have collided with SUV and collided with Range Rover as separate answers.

But on a more serious note the people who collided with pedestrians and cyclists, doesn't happen according to some on here, So as a suggestion, maybe it's time that pedestrians ( particularly ) made use of it and logged their near misses and accidents with cyclists

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But on a more serious note the people who collided with pedestrians and cyclists, doesn't happen according to some on here,

No, nobody has said it doesn't happen.

Taxi's don't fare well at all do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Not a bit surprised given my experience with them.

No, nobody has said it doesn't happen.

Doesn't surprise me given they are two road users that tend to share the same road space, perhaps you were expecting something different. (edit As in Bus Lanes)

But don't let anything that might be construed as factual come between you and your personal crusade against taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Doesn't surprise me given they are two road users that tend to share the same road space, perhaps you were expecting something different. (edit As in Bus Lanes)

But don't let anything that might be construed as factual come between you and your personal crusade against taxi drivers.

You can share a road space without deliberately trying to intimidate, bully and endanger the other road user. A percentage of taxi drivers are unable to do this and should have their licences revoked.

Note the figures for buses in these same lanes. I have found the majority of buses have been excellent in this space and not tried to run me off the road.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    You can share a road space without deliberately trying to intimidate, bully and endanger the other road user. A percentage of taxi drivers are unable to do this and should have their licences revoked.

Note the figures for buses in these same lanes. I have found the majority of buses have been excellent in this space and not tried to run me off the road.

Not arguing that with you, my personal opinion of some taxi drivers is that they got their driving license and or SPSV licences by somewhat unproveable but dubious means, based solely on how they can't drive.

To be honest there are some I wouldn't allow to take charge of an autonomous test car or bicycle come to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Even more reason I take the lane in certain scenarios where a taxi can't just pass curteously and safely. South quays in dublin a case in point - you're guaranteed a close pass well over the speed limit by the majority of taxi drivers here. Controlling their behaviour makes life much less stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Just curiosity made me click the link but how on earth do you manage to collide with a frozen road?

Had a giggle when people answered they have collided with SUV and collided with Range Rover as separate answers.

But on a more serious note the people who collided with pedestrians and cyclists, doesn't happen according to some on here, So as a suggestion, maybe it's time that pedestrians ( particularly ) made use of it and logged their near misses and accidents with cyclists

How does one collide with a "dangerous gradient"?

Must check out the Dublin Inquirer app and see is it possible to add cyclists colliding with pedestrians and/or pedestrians colliding with cyclists. I mean, the idiot who thought he could squeeze past me on the path only to find my shoulder was set and I wasn't getting out of his way would probably class that collision differently to me...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

How does one collide with a "dangerous gradient"?

A 45 degree angle is a 100% gradient, as you approach 90 degrees the gradient approaches infinite. I once collided with a dangerous gradient of 10,000% aka a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling from work in cycle/bus lane around 4.30 in the afternoon .......as I need to cross 2 lanes of traffic for my right turn, I moved just outside of the cycle lane into the bus lane.

A young chap in a car came up the bus lane and started beeping/roaring me to get out of his way and that I should be in the cycle lane....blah blah blah

Told him to go fu(k himself and that he should not be in the bus lane.

As he goes past me, he motioned with his hands loosly on the steering wheel that he was going to veer to the left and hit me. Kinda frightening when I saw that.

Needless to say at the next set of traffic lights which i turn right I had words with him. I went nuts at him. Strangely he was back in one of the two lanes he should always have been in.

Had to explain that I was turning right and had to prepare myself to cross two lanes of traffic.

He actually apologise. I still should have reported him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

micar wrote: »
    Had to explain that I was turning right and had to prepare myself to cross two lanes of traffic.

He actually apologise. I still should have reported him

It's amazing the number of road users (cyclists and drivers) who seem to have no clue of the RotR.

Crossing Clarendon Street (?) at Stephen Street as a pedestrian. Merc driver blows the horn at me as I've stepped out in front of him. Yells at me to take off my earphones as I can't hear traffic. I tell him I can hear the traffic perfectly well, and as it's a junction with no traffic lights, he has to yield and I have the right of way. He shouts at me that I'm wrong. I point at the yield sign he apparently hasn't noticed at all... he looks a bit sheepish and raises his window, as I continue on my way. No apology from him, though.

It's amazing the number of road users (cyclists and drivers) who seem to have no clue of the RotR.
    partly ignorance, partly not caring.

From the UK, but this also happens a lot on narrower roads..

https://twitter.com/hoffbrandm/status/1275846719729807367?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

partly ignorance, partly not caring.

QFT.

My favorite, which I've related before was cycling around the Airport roundabout coming from Swords direction to go into the Airport, and I had a "professional" driver close pass me while roaring out his window at me that : "You're not allowed on the motorway, y'dickhead!" (It's never enough with these guys just to point out what they think you're doing wrong - it always has to come with a healthy dose of abuse/aggression)

I pointed out to him that motorways don't tend to have roundabouts on them, and pointed out that the actual motorway about 2km away.

Did he change his stance or attitude ? Nope, not a bit.

I don't know to this day whether he actually knew he was spouting horses**t and when challenged on it maybe felt he couldn't back down his position to a "cyclist", or whether his understanding of the ROTR was really that bad.

Most probably it's a little from column A and a little from column B, but frankly it scares me that while travelling in such a vulnerable mode of travel I'm sharing the roadspace with ignorants like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They aren't actually asked 'what did you collide with' but the sad desperation to find mud to throw at cyclists is evident.

attachment.php?attachmentid=517715&d=1593092906

Why would it be a surprise that one person would answer SUV and another would answer Range Rover. When you ask open questions in a survey like that, that's exactly the kind of response you will get.

They aren't actually asked 'what did you collide with' but the sad desperation to find mud to throw at cyclists is evident.

Why would it be a surprise that one person would answer SUV and another would answer Range Rover. When you ask open questions in a survey like that, that's exactly the kind of response you will get.

Did you bother to read the ACTUAL replies to that question?

Collided with a dangerous gradient
    Collided with a pothole
    Collided with a Frozen Road
    Collided with Cycle Lane Disappeared
    Collided with Not Given

It would seem to me to be a simple enough question, and to be honest I could accept Jeep, SUV and Range Rover as likely being the same type of vehicle but the answers would seem to be how thick some of the cyclists responding to the survey are. Perhaps it also indicates why you ( and others ) persist with your typical replies of " throwing mud around" "desperation" " you just hate cyclists" etc.

Perhaps if you got off of your high nellies once in a while we could progress debates but not while you and your colleagues drop to insults and generalisations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Did you bother to read the ACTUAL replies to that question?

Collided with a dangerous gradient
    Collided with a pothole
    Collided with a Frozen Road
    Collided with Cycle Lane Disappeared
    Collided with Not Given

It would seem to me to be a simple enough question, and to be honest I could accept Jeep, SUV and Range Rover as likely being the same type of vehicle but the answers would seem to be how thick some of the cyclists responding to the survey are. Perhaps it also indicates why you ( and others ) persist with your typical replies of " throwing mud around" "desperation" " you just hate cyclists" etc.

Perhaps if you got off of your high nellies once in a while we could progress debates but not while you and your colleagues drop to insults and generalisations

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement