Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair play to AEW for not brushing it under the carpet and making it disappear because Sammy is an internet darling.

Jimmy Havoc is in treatment and getting counselling and, upon completion, his future status within the company will be re-evaluate as well.

Good call by aew

How can they reconcile that with using Mike Tyson?

It's all pandering bull****.

How can they reconcile that with using Mike Tyson?

It's all pandering bull****.

They can say Tyson was convicted and served his time for his crime and hasn't been in trouble since so he was rehabilitated and that is what we hope and expect from the justice system.

Just like every other organisation and TV show that has used Tyson or had him on as a guest since then from the WWE to The Ellen show to Law and Order SVU to The Hangover movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I've seen the comments under Sammy's statement, and the Sasha one that TSC linked, and the AEW one I posted, it appears some people just can't be pleased.

It's times like these that those like Sammy and Sasha, and everyone in professional wrestling respectively could use their platforms and call for calm and backing off on both sides of the divide, think way bigger picture and not go overboard with comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    AEW statement on Sammy Guevara

AEW insists on doing our part to create a world of understanding and respect for humankind. We therefore strongly condemn the extremely offensive and hurtful words of Sammy Guevara. As such, effective immediately, Sammy is suspended without pay until further notice. Sammy has agreed to undergo extensive sensitivity training and, upon completion, his future status within the company will be re-evaluated.

During his suspension, his salary will be donated to the Women’s Center of Jacksonville.

I'm surprised AEW said or did anything.

• Advertisement

They can say Tyson was convicted and served his time for his crime and hasn't been in trouble since so he was rehabilitated and that is what we hope and expect from the justice system.

Just like every other organisation and TV show that has used Tyson or had him on as a guest since then from the WWE to The Ellen show to Law and Order SVU to The Hangover movies.

That's shaky consistency at best.

A comment about rape (as horrible as it was) made years ago is grounds for suspension.

Actually raping someone years ago isn't a stumbling block with regards your job prospects in aew though.

If you can't see that these are at odds with each other and sending out a very mixed message, I don't know what to say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well add brock lesnar to the list of wrestlers accused of harassment . He's been accused by Terri runnels.

It will be interesting to see if any UFC/MMA competitors start to get named

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I was worried at the start of all this that a lot of guys would worm their way back in as always. Safe to say Joey Ryan is finished. Hopefully plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

cian68 wrote: »
    I was worried at the start of all this that a lot of guys would worm their way back in as always. Safe to say Joey Ryan is finished. Hopefully plenty of others.

And I personally won’t be sad if joey Ryan never darkens wrestling ever again. As its funny how his fans got upset when people said his dick spot was stupid and yet it seems in the ring wasn’t the only place he used that spot. It now seems he’s a ****ty human being as well as being the drizzling ****s in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And I personally won’t be sad if joey Ryan never darkens wrestling ever again. As its funny how his fans got upset when people said his dick spot was stupid and yet it seems in the ring wasn’t the only place he used that spot. It now seems he’s a ****ty human being as well as being the drizzling ****s in the ring.

Seems he closed his promotion 'bar wrestling' too.

http://socaluncensored.com/2020/06/21/joey-ryan-issues-statement-on-allegations-bar-wrestling-closes-down/

Guess that really is the end of him. He could have quietly stepped back while still running it. But it's gone. Looks like he is packing his bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I find it fairly hard to believe Candice wasn't aware of any of his behaviour given how he seems to have been doing it all very openly in places they were both at. She always came across as a decent person so maybe I'm doing her a disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

The Twitter wrestling fans are the worst people for this cancel culture I have ever seen.
    Straight up on their high-horses to be horrified by the actions of someone.
    Same people replying "Thank you" to OTT for removing certain wrestlers as if their own lives were in danger by having David Starr in the ring, f*ck me.

Obviously I don't condone anything done by David Starr and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The Twitter wrestling fans are the worst people for this cancel culture I have ever seen.
    Same people replying "Thank you" to OTT for removing certain wrestlers as if their own lives were in danger by having David Starr in the ring, f*ck me.

Obviously....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Obviously....
    Where are you going with your reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Where are you going with your reply?

The same way he was going with others he’s replied too.. Think there was a Mod Post earlier about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Their safety might be in danger having a dangerous person hanging around shows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Pentecost wrote: »
    I find it fairly hard to believe Candice wasn't aware of any of his behaviour given how he seems to have been doing it all very openly in places they were both at. She always came across as a decent person so maybe I'm doing her a disservice.

Given there are predators in families unbeknownst to each other until something actually comes to light, it's entirely possibly Candice wasn't aware. But meh... whether she knew or not that's between her and her conscience, and nobody else to be frank.

Impact have suspended Michael Elgin and released Dave Crist with Joey Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Given there are predators in families unbeknownst to each other until something actually comes to light, it's entirely possibly Candice wasn't aware. But meh... whether she knew or not that's between her and her conscience, and nobody else to be frank.

I suppose you're right. Given that nobody has said she was aware of anything it's best to give her the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jim Cornette responded on his podcast and denied any form of grooming or quid pro quo shenanigans with other wrestlers and his wife.

He did say, however, that he and his wife have an open relationship and she's been there and watched many times as he boned other women.

Jesus. Some things are better left unsaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

bennyl10 wrote: »

To clarify, believe the accuser unless proven otherwise. I’m not saying different.

No, an accuser should have to back up their claims with evidence. Otherwise you can just run around accusing anyone of anything you like and get away with it.

But more than that, the accused should be allowed to respond and get a fair hearing. Jim Cornette has issued an hour long statement where he categorically denies Phil Earley's claims so now there are two sides to the story, but the IWC doesn't care about that. Their pitchforks are already raised.

Let's see how this pans out as proper due-process legal action is taken.

briany wrote: »
    No, an accuser should have to back up their claims with evidence. Otherwise you can just run around accusing anyone of anything you like and get away with it.

But more than that, the accused should be allowed to respond and get a fair hearing. Jim Cornette has issued an hour long statement where he categorically denies Phil Earley's claims so now there are two sides to the story, but the IWC doesn't care about that. Their pitchforks are already raised.

This is an extremely important but unpopular opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

briany wrote: »

Also agree with this tbh, Its like the recent case with Irish comedian Sly Fox who was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a bar but the case was thrown out of court due to lack of evidence.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/sil-fox-sexual-assault-cleared-courts-5109092-May2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just because there is a lack of evidence doesnt mean the allegations didnt happen.

Im somewhere in the middle here, if it was my daughter speaking out I would want her to be supported and at least listened to.

That said, if its my son being accused, I would want evidence that hes guilty before hes blackballed. Mud like a rape accusation sticks.

Either way, its a horrible situation either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Just because there is a lack of evidence doesnt mean the allegations didnt happen.

Im somewhere in the middle here, if it was my daughter speaking out I would want her to be supported and at least listened to.

That said, if its my son being accused, I would want evidence that hes guilty before hes blackballed. Mud like a rape accusation sticks.

Either way, its a horrible situation either way.

Yes...it's almost as if such accusations need to be taken on a case by case basis and handled with care.

What's more, I'm sure you wouldn't want your son or daughter dragged through the mud on social media by opposing (and not to mention clueless) sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only valid way to handle these cases is through the law. It's nearest thing we have to a fair way of judging people. Trial by social media is a toxic thing, and looking at how eagerly people hop on the bandwagon, it's not hard at all to see how scores of women were subjected to different manners of summary execution in early modern times, all on the tenuous basis of being a witch. At least the townsfolk of the time could be somewhat excused in their attitudes due to ignorance. What would all the Twitter knuckleheads, with fast access to much of all human knowledge and communication, use as an excuse for their ignorant attitudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I just seen yesterday that fight factory have appointed Debbie to liaison officer not sure that’s gonna work, going back over scotty Davis statement, I seen Debbie saying she doesn’t believe him so if your in a position of power and you believe the first story told will it not lead to as bad a situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

I just seen yesterday that fight factory have appointed Debbie to liaison officer not sure that’s gonna work, going back over scotty Davis statement, I seen Debbie saying she doesn’t believe him so if your in a position of power and you believe the first story told will it not lead to as bad a situation.
    I think you're making a big assumption there. You have no idea if Debbie has spoken to Amy or others or anything like that. Talent have more insight and knowledge than we see from their social media presence.

Advertisement