Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

briany wrote: »
    The only valid way to handle these cases is through the law. It's nearest thing we have to a fair way of judging people. Trial by social media is a toxic thing, and looking at how eagerly people hop on the bandwagon, it's not hard at all to see how scores of women were subjected to different manners of summary execution in early modern times, all on the tenuous basis of being a witch. At least the townsfolk of the time could be somewhat excused in their attitudes due to ignorance. What would all the Twitter knuckleheads, with fast access to much of all human knowledge and communication, use as an excuse for their ignorant attitudes?

That's fine for sexual assault, joey Ryan and David starr should both end up in prison , but things like kid fite sexting/hooking up with 16 year olds isn't illegally, but it's creepy as **** to the point where he should never be in a position of power over teenagers again, and the only way he was going to be outed was via twitter, and unfortunately that comes with the mob, but wrestling fans have short memories.

I just seen yesterday that fight factory have appointed Debbie to liaison officer not sure that’s gonna work, going back over scotty Davis statement, I seen Debbie saying she doesn’t believe him so if your in a position of power and you believe the first story told will it not lead to as bad a situation.

I'm sure all the info she has is the twitter threads and not 3 years of knowing both parties......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

A video with Starr, Big Grizzly and Joel Allen (SPLX merch, UK indies and NXT UK) has surfaced with Starr trying to set up the other two with Bellas friends in a pretty derogatory manner, then throws out a homophobic slur at the end of it for good measure. This guy is the dirt worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

A video with Starr, Big Grizzly and Joel Allen (SPLX merch, UK indies and NXT UK) has surfaced with Starr trying to set up the other two with Bellas friends in a pretty derogatory manner, then throws out a homophobic slur at the end of it for good measure. This guy is the dirt worst.

just watched that there a vile set of men

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

ThePott wrote: »
    I think you're making a big assumption there. You have no idea if Debbie has spoken to Amy or others or anything like that. Talent have more insight and knowledge than we see from their social media presence.

I’m going by what I see here Debbie made a post on twitter that came out in support of Amy.

Austin Theory chatting and getting close to a 13 year old girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

hynesie08 wrote: »
    That's fine for sexual assault, joey Ryan and David starr should both end up in prison , but things like kid fite sexting/hooking up with 16 year olds isn't illegally, but it's creepy as **** to the point where he should never be in a position of power over teenagers again, and the only way he was going to be outed was via twitter, and unfortunately that comes with the mob, but wrestling fans have short memories.

I'm sure all the info she has is the twitter threads and not 3 years of knowing both parties......
    And I’m sure you know this as gospel as well, don’t forget there is a serious allegation that scotty made as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

David Starr. Outspoken Liberal Bernie Bro turns out to be a sex pest pervert. Colour me shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭ThePott

I’m going by what I see here Debbie made a post on twitter that came out in support of Amy.
    I know but my point is that she probably has insight that not everyone would. So what's the problem?

And I’m sure you know this as gospel as well, don’t forget there is a serious allegation that scotty made as well.

I have no horse in this race,I've never met any of these people.But if you think someone speaking out on a situation means you would be a bad liason you're off the mark. She could have easily stayed out of the light and just kept her head down, unfortunately wrestling is so ****ty that by putting herself forward to amplify other voices, she's probably marked herself as "problematic" and cost herself bookings....... But she did it anyway. She also spoke out against not only one of the top prospects in irish wrestling, she clapped back at Joe cabray about past issues.

If I were a young female trainee/fan right now,I'd be running so far away from wrestling there'd be a hole in the wall, but if I was in ffpw, I would feel a lot safer knowing that if she believed me, she wouldn't stop screaming till someone looked into it, an wrestling needs more people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,316 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She made the allegation public on social media and they may lead to her being charged with statutory rape if his allegation is proven to be true.

The issue is now the court of social media and not the court of law is going to tar and feather everyone involved sadly rightly or wrongly and if any of these cases do end up in a real court of law and jury pool could be deemed tainted by social media.

• Advertisement

She made the allegation public on social media and they may lead to her being charged with statutory rape if his allegation is proven to be true.

The issue is now the court of social media and not the court of law is going to tar and feather everyone involved sadly rightly or wrongly and if any of these cases do end up in a real court of law and jury pool could be deemed tainted by social media.

There is a proximity of age clause in irish law (and a reasonable doubt one that I'm really glad wrestlers don't know about) that says between the ages of 15-17 and if there's less than 2 years between them and it's consentual, the judge would be obligated to strike it out of court. This was basically to stop overzealous parents getting a boyfriend locked up. In this case if one party is claiming a lack of consent, it wouldn't cancel the clause, the incident would be taken on it's own merit. I'm very open to correction on that though.......

As for the trial by social media tainting a jury pool, that's a very real discussion that needs to take place sooner rather than later, and it's not because of wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Isn’t a surprise unfortunately

Has been charged (and I think convicted) of abuse on at least 1 if not 2 previous occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,820 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do you think they should address people being fired for such things on the tv in any way? Or even just a statement without naming anyone saying they in no way condone the actions of recently released employees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Not seeing much in the way of acknowledging that it was very inappropriate even if it technically may have been legal.

Scurll along the same lines as Travis Banks not even acknowledging how absolutely messed up a grown man being with a 16 year old kid actually is. He's another one that needs to be launched out of sight forever.

Scurll along the same lines as Travis Banks not even acknowledging how absolutely messed up a grown man being with a 16 year old kid actually is. He's another one that needs to be launched out of sight forever.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Do you think they should address people being fired for such things on the tv in any way? Or even just a statement without naming anyone saying they in no way condone the actions of recently released employees

Honestly the way things are in general it seems you're wrong whatever decision you make.

• Advertisement

"while I did have sex with a 16 year old, she wanted to and I'm allowed by law, so stop saying mean things to her on twitter"

**** off and sit on your umbrella you ****ing nonce....

Referee Chris Roberts alleged groomer, manipulator and nonce.

Do you listen to music from the 60s or 70s by any chance?

We know, elvis married priscilla when she was barely legal, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin etc etc, just because scumbags have been creating art since the dawn of time doesn't mean we can't call them scumbags.... The situation doesn't change, but our ability to call attention to it does

I don't think I do, no. At least not by choice.

Ex NWA VP Dave Lagana released the following statement to prowrestlingsheet.com. It's a long statement.
    “The #speakingout movement has brought to light a number of new allegations of sexual assault against people in the wrestling industry, including me. These allegations of sexual assault should be taken seriously and be investigated. Every accuser has a right to be heard, but every person accused of such serious wrongdoing deserves the right to defend themselves.

Last week, Liz Savage accused me via Twitter posts of sexually assaulting her a decade ago. Liz and I were friends for a total of about five to seven years before and after the alleged assault. We first met at a wrestling show sometime between 2006 and 2008 when she was introduced to me as an independent wrestler.

I take Liz’s allegations seriously. The first time I became aware of her allegations was last week when she made them public. I take them so seriously that I voluntarily stepped down from my position as Vice President of Lightning One Inc. and its company, the National Wrestling Alliance, after learning of her allegations. I did so because they pre-date this position and I didn’t want to involve the men and women of the National Wrestling Alliance during this time.

I valued my friendship with Liz. I’m sorry that she feels that I somehow wronged her. However, the incident she described did not happen.

Liz is correct that she lived with me and my female roommate from mid-August 2010 until October 1, 2010. Liz is also correct that she shared a bed with me while she lived with me. She is again correct that nothing about our relationship was romantic or sexual. Often, as we went to bed, we would cuddle and spoon in a nonsexual way. (We also did so the few times we shared a bed prior to her living me with in 2010.)

As Liz correctly said, I never made a nonconsensual move on her during waking hours. However, her claim that I made a nonconsensual move on her while we shared a bed is false. I did not touch her in the way she claimed. I never touched her like that, and I never would have.

But Liz’s allegation of sexual assault is not the only portion of her Twitter posts where I feel compelled to correct the record.

In early August of 2010, Liz informed me that a friend of hers invited her out to Los Angeles to attend a show that I was not affiliated with. Ultimately, she stayed with me and my roommate starting in mid-August. Liz suggests that I did nothing to help her upon her arrival. But, as a friend, I offered her all the help I could. This includes taking her to an NWA Hollywood event on August 25th where I introduced her to those in charge. I was an unpaid producer at the time with the NWA, so I had no hiring or firing authority.

Liz also left out the fact of her relationship with my female roommate. While the roommate did not initially know Liz was coming, once Liz arrived, she treated Liz like a sister. She gave Liz food and clothing, and drove her to job interviews. They remained friends for years after Liz moved out. But, despite their relationship, the first time my then-roommate found out about these allegations was last week.

Liz claims that I kicked her out of my apartment because of the alleged incident. Actually, in an email I sent to her on September 24th, 2010, I informed her that my landlord stated that, per my lease, any guest staying longer than two weeks consecutively would need to be added to the lease. The landlord said they were willing to look the other way for the seven weeks Liz was with me and my roommate, but would not do so after October 1st. I offered her some of my frequent flyer miles if she wanted a flight home.

After Liz moved out of my apartment, she and I remained in contact over social media and email for a few years, even endorsing me on LinkedIn in 2013. During that time, she would occasionally email me about opportunities in the wrestling industry that I did what I could to help with.

The #speakingout movement is creating change in our industry. I wish Liz all the best in her career inside the ring and out. But I adamantly deny her allegations against me and could not let them go without providing these details about our friendship.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

hynesie08 wrote: »
    We know, elvis married priscilla when she was barely legal, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin etc etc, just because scumbags have been creating art since the dawn of time doesn't mean we can't call them scumbags.... The situation doesn't change, but our ability to call attention to it does

Don't forget Muhammad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old when he was 38. Creepy fúcker, never liked him.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old when he was 38. Creepy fúcker, never liked him.

I don't get why people think the show Seinfeld is so funny. People think it's the best thing ever and maybe it's me but I don't find it that funny.

Advertisement