Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

Loads of indie wrestlers have it out for Jim Cornette because he has sh*t all over their work quite un-apologetically many times, chief among them being Joey Janela. Cornette is far too wily to get taken down by trumped up accusations, if that is indeed what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Awesome response from Cornette. 'I'm going to go to the representative of the Kentucky State Commission, one of the most stringent in the country, it is a government agency, by extension he's a government official, and I'm going to ask him, "Hey do me some favours here cos these guys aren't playing along". You think the Commissioner is going to commit a crime for me so me and my wife can get laid?' :pac:

Sounds like the only thing he's 'guilty' of is being a swinger. I personally don't care about what people get up to in their private life as long as it's all consensual. I doubt he's ever abused his authority. With his lengthy enemy list, there was ample time for it to be exposed by now.

I reckon a lot of critics are piling in on those they don't like, although I can't talk as I'm enjoying Joey Ryan being in the firing line. I always thought that guy was a creep and an embarrassment to wrestling.

Awesome response from Cornette. 'I'm going to go to the representative of the Kentucky State Commission, one of the most stringent in the country, it is a government agency, by extension he's a government official, and I'm going to ask him, "Hey do me some favours here cos these guys aren't playing along". You think the Commissioner is going to commit a crime for me so me and my wife can get laid?' :pac:

Sounds like the only thing he's 'guilty' of is being a swinger. I personally don't care about what people get up to in their private life as long as it's all consensual. I doubt he's ever abused his authority. With his lengthy enemy list, there was ample time for it to be exposed by now.

I reckon a lot of critics are piling in on those they don't like, although I can't talk as I'm enjoying Joey Ryan being in the firing line. I always thought that guy was a creep and an embarrassment to wrestling.

People on the Internet generally don't care what's true or not. If someone they don't like is getting the treatment, they'll get on the bandwagon. And that's very much the case with this Jim Cornette story. For some, it'll be bad enough that Cornette has done at least some swinging, never mind that this is in no way a crime so long as it's consenting adults. More conservative people might find it morally objectionable, but that's a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,687 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's his Monday you, the drive thru

It's not usually out this early.

I do have to say this idea of Cornette being a swinger is going to take a little getting used to. I thought he spent his days at the post office mailing off Mid-South DVDs and dusting down wrestling programmes from 1907, and maybe watching an episode of Family Guy at night before falling asleep on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Text conversation between Riddle and Jamie Senegal is out. Looks pretty damning.

Also there's something so weird about seeing some WWE people attack Gueverra but not address the rapists and pedophiles on their own roster. Not that Gueverra shouldn't be attacked, he absolutely should, but it reeks of company deflection.

Finally, I can't believe how many people on here listen to Cornette.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gueverra throwing fuel on the fire by liking (and then unliking) a tweet defending his statement about Banks, rather than apologizing.

Text conversation between Riddle and Jamie Senegal is out. Looks pretty damning.

Also there's something so weird about seeing some WWE people attack Gueverra but not address the rapists and pedophiles on their own roster. Not that Gueverra shouldn't be attacked, he absolutely should, but it reeks of company deflection.

Why is it such a shock wrestling fans listen to podcasts about wrestling from people who've been in wrestling. I have in the past and will continue to skip his political ranting parts of his podcast and I disagree with him on many things and how he phrased them but in terms of wrestling history he's one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Gueverra throwing fuel on the fire by liking (and then unliking) a tweet defending his statement about Banks, rather than apologizing.

Apologised now, took long enough

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why is it such a shock wrestling fans listen to podcasts about wrestling from people who've been in wrestling. I have in the past and will continue to skip his political ranting parts of his podcast and I disagree with him on many things and how he phrased them but in terms of wrestling history he's one of the best.

It’s shocking how people were so slow to believe the accusations about him, despite their being plenty

One allegation about others? Guilty.

To clarify, believe the accuser unless proven otherwise. I’m not saying different.

Cornette is a homophobic, sexist asshole.

The fact that proper refuse to believe the allegations about him could be true is insane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You mean the texts that came out over the weekend, the ones that looked as if they might have been faked?
    Lord TSC wrote: »

He tweeted an apology there about 3 minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/sammyguevara/status/1275130818353135617
    I’ve made stupid, inappropriate and extremely offensive comments in my past. In my idiotic mind, I thought I was being funny in using words and terms that represent nothing but horror and pain. I am truly sorry for my hurtful words and actions, and I will never forgive myself.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

You can listen to whoever you like but I don't think it should be a shock that you get judged listening to a guy whose publicly made racist, homophobic and sexist comments in the past and is now accused of basically manipulated rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You're the only one on here making this a WWE vs AEW thing.

Unsurprisingly.

Scurll accused of sexually assaulting a drunk 16 year old.

J. Marston wrote: »
    You're the only one on here making this a WWE vs AEW thing.

Unsurprisingly.

Literally couldn't care less about a silly company feud. Honestly I'd rather both companies had the balls to fire all of these people. But those silly coordinated attacks you see the NXT roster do from time to time are the height of cringe. I think that post had a couple of more important things in it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now the question is what kind of punishments should these people get?
    Like you've got physical abuse, verbal abuse directed towards someone and then the likes of Sammy making a comment about someone on a show.
    Any abuse should be severely punished.

Now look at what happened the guy who plays Ralph Dibney on the Flash. Lost his job for making racist and sexist "jokes" on twitter nearly a decade ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Scurll accused of sexually assaulting a drunk 16 year old.

Are these new allegations, or are you only catching up with stuff from over the weekend now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Cornette is highly entertaining imo and it is amusing how he really winds some people up.

He does hold some backwards views about some things, but for a guy of his age from Kentucky he is as liberal as you can get I'd say.

Personally I find his comments about religion way over the top and sometimes insulting.

I remember him being close to tears on a number of occasions talking about black people being murdered by police, particularly remember him talking about the poor man murdered crawling on the hotel corridor floor

I find his analysis of today's wrestling (like him I struggle to watch it and now rarely do, only after the fact if I hear something is good) pretty spot on. If he calmly explained in a nice way how a match could have been done better I think the vast majority would actually agree with his opinions. But he knows it is far more entertaining to be over the top and say that Kenny should be boiled in oil.

At the end of the day on his podcasts he slips in and out of the heel manager personality who says outrageous things.

It seems to work for him, as he says in today's podcast he is more over than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ThePott

Are these new allegations, or are you only catching up with stuff from over the weekend now?
    He's correct on both counts. These are new:
    The thread about Matt Riddle

https://twitter.com/thejamiesenegal/status/1275135620646567937

The accusation against Marty Scurll

https://twitter.com/mystickttn/status/1275128410759725058

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Been listening to Cornette for years, since the days of the awful Alice host, and the idea he's homophobic or sexist or racist or whatever is nonsense. I quite like his politicial thoughts personally, and love the promos on 'President Pigsh*t'. I'd agree with John Hutton above about the religious commentary. He's never shy about being a staunch atheist and some of his very strong takes felt uncomfortable at times.

I'd share his take on modern wrestling and I think he taps into a lot of frustration about the current offerings that have driven many, like myself, to no longer watch. He's also got a stunning knowledge of history and his chemistry with Brian Last is great, probably as they're friends in real life. He's also funny as hell. Add in the distinctive artwork of Travis Heckel on Youtube and it's streets ahead of other wrestling podcasts imo.

Been listening to Cornette for years, since the days of the awful Alice host, and the idea he's homophobic or sexist or racist or whatever is nonsense. I quite like his politicial thoughts personally, and love the promos on 'President Pigsh*t'. I'd agree with John Hutton above about the religious commentary. He's never shy about being a staunch atheist and some of his very strong takes felt uncomfortable at times.

I'd share his take on modern wrestling and I think he taps into a lot of frustration about the current offerings that have driven many, like myself, to no longer watch. He's also got a stunning knowledge of history and his chemistry with Brian Last is great, probably as they're friends in real life. He's also funny as hell. Add in the distinctive artwork of Travis Heckel on Youtube and it's streets ahead of other wrestling podcasts imo.

He’s made numerous racist comments, include one recently on commentary

He’s made numerous homophobic comments on his podcast, recently regarding wrestlers In AAA and on AEW dark.

He only has his platform becuase of his past. This past is why people are ignoring the numerous accusations and it’s baffling

Accusation after accusation but sure it’s Jim it can’t be true

• Registered Users Posts: 60,454 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will the WWE sack Riddle now like they did Gallagher

Candice LeRae comments on the Joey Ryan situation.

https://twitter.com/CandiceLeRae/status/1275145803175268352

The Scurll one seems to be new, or at least the very time I've seen a full version of it. The Riddle one is the story going around but the victim has produced screenshots of their conversation from that night that backs up that they met up in a car.

Sammy suspended Indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

AEW statement on Sammy Guevara

AEW insists on doing our part to create a world of understanding and respect for humankind. We therefore strongly condemn the extremely offensive and hurtful words of Sammy Guevara. As such, effective immediately, Sammy is suspended without pay until further notice. Sammy has agreed to undergo extensive sensitivity training and, upon completion, his future status within the company will be re-evaluated.

During his suspension, his salary will be donated to the Women’s Center of Jacksonville.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    AEW statement on Sammy Guevara

AEW insists on doing our part to create a world of understanding and respect for humankind. We therefore strongly condemn the extremely offensive and hurtful words of Sammy Guevara. As such, effective immediately, Sammy is suspended without pay until further notice. Sammy has agreed to undergo extensive sensitivity training and, upon completion, his future status within the company will be re-evaluated.

During his suspension, his salary will be donated to the Women’s Center of Jacksonville.

Good call by aew

So from reading around someone on another site has calculated that joey Ryan has 14 accusations against him. I don't know it's on here but it's a recent one and although it's anonymous it's ****ing vile. I mean a guy who's signature move involves his dick is actually a dick in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I actually said that a months salary donated to a women's shelter and have him meet some victims of sexual violence was the appropriate punishment, so I think this is the fairest decision. If he comes out the other side better, job done, if not then ****can him.

Advertisement