Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

$SWBI results out today and forecast for rest of year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

"Cruise stocks set for another selloff after Carnival's disappointing results"

You have to wonder at headlines like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Strategy out the window and I've held NBRV for news. Again I let emotions get the better of me and try scalp some profit from the run up - it didn't materialise. Now gambling on some positive news (if any news) being released today.

Still holding CLRB otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

What do people make of PayPal? Bought at around $105 in December and the climb since March has been astounding. I think it's one of those that's benefitted hugely from the move to online but I'm not sure if that benefit starts diminishing gradually. Considering selling some on opening today but input welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Sold all of my FTSE shares today (Aviva, Centrica, Coca-Cola HBC and Tesco).
    No longer comfortable holding these over weekends anymore, with covid and general economy. Going to hold onto some of the bigger players (Amazon, Microsoft and DraftKings as these are longer term shares anyway and would in my opinion recover quickly from another covid crash :)

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    What do people make of PayPal? Bought at around $105 in December and the climb since March has been astounding. I think it's one of those that's benefitted hugely from the move to online but I'm not sure if that benefit starts diminishing gradually. Considering selling some on opening today but input welcomed.

Long term I'm not too sure about Paypal. The fintech startup scene and beyond is booming, it's only a matter of time before we have widespread adoption of services already used in China like WePay or Alipay (well their western equivalents). Whether Paypal will be at the forefront of this transition is another topic of discussion but I can't see them advancing beyond their existing business model

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Kilboor wrote: »
    Long term I'm not too sure about Paypal. The fintech startup scene and beyond is booming, it's only a matter of time before we have widespread adoption of services already used in China like WePay or Alipay (well their western equivalents). Whether Paypal will be at the forefront of this transition is another topic of discussion but I can't see them advancing beyond their existing business model

Kind of hold the same opinion, but would argue PayPal has a nice start to being on top later on as well. Nevertheless, I would feel much comfortable investing in Mastercard/Visa for the long-term perspective...
    jams100 wrote: »
    Sold all of my FTSE shares today (Aviva, Centrica, Coca-Cola HBC and Tesco).
    No longer comfortable holding these over weekends anymore, with covid and general economy. Going to hold onto some of the bigger players (Amazon, Microsoft and DraftKings as these are longer term shares anyway and would in my opinion recover quickly from another covid crash :)

In my opinion, likes of Coca-Cola are always good long-term investment as they are not going anywhere while DraftKings in particular is quite a gamble for which I'm not really sure what's going to happen once market gets a bit more clear of punters.... just my 2 cents...

Kilboor wrote: »
    Strategy out the window and I've held NBRV for news. Again I let emotions get the better of me and try scalp some profit from the run up - it didn't materialise. Now gambling on some positive news (if any news) being released today.

Still holding CLRB otherwise

ya wasnt sure on this one when I bought in at $0.805 recently, so I decided to sell all @ $0.91

I'm happy for now to be taking small profits rather than keeping shares longer term as there is so much uncertainty

If I manage 10% on each purchase I'm satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭Shedite27

robman60 wrote: »
    I own PayPal. Also own Square and StoneCo. I love the simplicity of taking a cut from transactions. Money is dead, I have the same fiver in my wallet for 3 months now.

I reckon it continues to innovate and grow faster that Mastercard/Visa.

Sad story coming out of America this morning, 20 year old guy who got into Robinhood (their Degiro), misunderstood his balance and thought he was $700k in debt and committed suicide as a result

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/young-trader-dies-by-suicide-after-thinking-he-racked-up-big-losses-on-robinhood.html

• Advertisement

Gonna add to Livongo and Spotify this morning, selling Nike to fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Gonna add to Livongo and Spotify this morning, selling Nike to fund it.

What are your thoughts on Spotify? Feels a bit overpriced now after the recent surge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sad story coming out of America this morning, 20 year old guy who got into Robinhood (their Degiro), misunderstood his balance and thought he was $700k in debt and committed suicide as a result

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/young-trader-dies-by-suicide-after-thinking-he-racked-up-big-losses-on-robinhood.html

Robinhood will have to clarify what happened there IMO.

It is likely that he didn’t actually have 700k in debt and the amount he saw on the app was representing something else.

But regardless of him being in debt or not, they should never have given a young unemployed inexperienced investor access to financial tools he didn’t understand and which engaged amounts of money which were way beyond his mental ability to handle them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Bob24 wrote: »
    Robinhood will have to clarify what happened there IMO.

It is likely that he didn’t actually have 700k in debt and the amount he saw on the app was representing something else.

But regardless of him being in debt or not, they should never have given a young unemployed inexperienced investor access to financial tools he didn’t understand and which engaged amounts of money which were way beyond his mental ability to handle them.

Yeah this is the key bit here. The ease with which a 20 year old with no experience can get into a situation where he is availing of leverage way beyond his means is mad.

I wonder do Robinhood have tests you have to complete before you can trade instruments like that? I've no interest in using leverage on a Degiro or an equivalent (or delving into derivatives on a personal account at all for that matter) so I'm not sure if the Degiro test is adequate to ensure users are aware of the risk involved.

I had a cheeky buy order in at $0.73 for NBRV

Must have wicked down for a split second to fill it and closed it out a few min ago at $0.84

I’ll take that before the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Long term bug on Robinhood giving crazy amounts on positions aftermarket/weekends/holidays etc according to Wallstreetbets, Degiro used to be like that with ASX positions.

just checked the chart on NBRV, it had a momentary massive wick down to 0.69 and I say a lot of people were stopped out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    just checked the chart on NBRV, it had a momentary massive wick down to 0.69 and I say a lot of people were stopped out

I saw that, if the FDA approval is out today and it goes 'to the moon' you'd wonder about these vertical drops shaking out people with stop losses and the motives behind them.

I'm out. I left down like 2% happy with that.

What are your thoughts on Spotify? Feels a bit overpriced now after the recent surge

Completely changes their business model, so different company to their old business (and valuation) as I see it. Up to now they had very little control over their costs (music contracts) or content (artists could say no to having their music on Spotify). They’ve now gone on the offensive, signing podcasts to exclusive deals so solved both of those issues. They also bought the company/software that produces a lot of podcasts so they make money even on podcasts on other players. I reckon Podcasts will be hugely valuable Advertising space in the future, given you have people’s undivided attention and can’t skip like on TV, and you’ve much more targeted (football fans listen to football podcasts) compared to radio.

I see a huge future for Spotify, one of my biggest holdings.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »

The CNBC article above explains what likely happened

“ The $730,000 amount could have been reflecting the other side of an options trade not settled yet and the value of stocks tied to those options.

A corresponding trade to cover a purchase is often not executed until the following trading day, which Robinhood tells its users via email and notifications. In that case, cash and buying power will come up as negative until the other side has not been processed. The temporary negative display is not a balance of debt and the overall portfolio value would reflect the value of the account. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone taking a punt on Wirecard? Id say its easy money tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Completely changes their business model, so different company to their old business (and valuation) as I see it. Up to now they had very little control over their costs (music contracts) or content (artists could say no to having their music on Spotify). They’ve now gone on the offensive, signing podcasts to exclusive deals so solved both of those issues. They also bought the company/software that produces a lot of podcasts so they make money even on podcasts on other players. I reckon Podcasts will be hugely valuable Advertising space in the future, given you have people’s undivided attention and can’t skip like on TV, and you’ve much more targeted (football fans listen to football podcasts) compared to radio.

I see a huge future for Spotify, one of my biggest holdings.

Great analysis thanks. I'm new here but from what I've seen so far you post a lot of excellent opinions and commentary. Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone taking a punt on Wirecard? Id say its easy money tbh.

easy money to lose money? It's pure gamble as it can obv jump up like Hertz did, but if fraud is proven it's going straight down to 0...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If I manage 10% on each purchase I'm satisfied

Newbie here

After you pay tax and a fee to DeGiro or similar, isn't that 10% pretty much nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Newbie here

After you pay tax and a fee to DeGiro or similar, isn't that 10% pretty much nothing?

It depends.

€1270 profit is tax free per year per person (so if you're going to make more than €1270 it makes sense for your other half to be making some of the profit).
    Degiro fees are cheap. Depends on the share but buying and selling fees could be €1 in total. Other companies (eg Trading 212) have no fees on share trades.
    Tax on most profits above the €1270 is 33%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    easy money to lose money? It's pure gamble as it can obv jump up like Hertz did, but if fraud is proven it's going straight down to 0...

I'm in on this stock. I've been watching it for a few years and have to say it's a bizarre story. How do you misplace 2bn of your 2.2bn cash pile??? All the while having 2+bn of debt.

Revenue issues are also bizarre. These should be relatively easily proven during an audit.

KPMG had an investigation into the company and concluded there was no fraud, but notes they hadn't been given everything they requested.

Strange story all round.

They do seem to have a reasonable business model though...profitable, good margins etc.

Pure pint right now until loans/annual report/cash bals issues are resolved. IF they are, then can see this stock 100-200 quite quickly.....if not....could be a bank led sale....so probably nothing for shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

bcklschaps wrote: »
    My thoughts precisely. I have a small holding of GAN. I got in about 2 weeks ago on the basis that Michael Smurfit snr invested. I assume his family connections advised him it was a good investment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-michael-smurfit-sr-reports-98-stak/brief-michael-smurfit-sr-reports-98-stake-in-gan-ltd-idUSFWN2DF0D1

SP promptly went down 17% of course from that point.... I'm just about back up at BEP now. But onwards and upwards

This has had a great week. Up about 40%

Even my holding is showing
    a healthy +20%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Bought Hertz last week and forgot about it. Dam it. was only a couple of hundred but still. Dam it.

• Advertisement

Bad news from NBRV, CRL issued due to inspection delay, glad I got out near my break even price.

Advertisement