Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Too many day traders in this thread! :)

This is the perfect time for someone like me who wants a company built like a tank to put a nice chunk of savings into and leave it for 5 years without having to worry about it. I already have J&J from a good starting point in March. I'm thinking an oil stock like Exxon Mobil is a sure bet for the long term? I got some nice gains from NextEra Energy, KO and Merit Medical before the virus so thinking of getting back into these. Also had Disney in mind too. Surely everything is a bargain now if you are going long?

Any other picks for us slow coaches?
    Don't think anyone trusts them at the moment really, they all go up as an index and down as an index at the moment, based on whatever the Fed or Trump says.

There's 100's you can pick from, many who you've just mentioned, doesn't really need a discussion to pick JNJ, Disney and Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

in2dark wrote: »
    today's low is 66cents how did you buy it at 62?

the order was filled pre opening @ 12:00 GMT

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Too many day traders in this thread! :)

This is the perfect time for someone like me who wants a company built like a tank to put a nice chunk of savings into and leave it for 5 years without having to worry about it. I already have J&J from a good starting point in March. I'm thinking an oil stock like Exxon Mobil is a sure bet for the long term? I got some nice gains from NextEra Energy, KO and Merit Medical before the virus so thinking of getting back into these. Also had Disney in mind too. Surely everything is a bargain now if you are going long?

Any other picks for us slow coaches?

there's too much of a disconnect between the economy and the stock market for me to be actually thinking long on anything right now

In fact I am actually thinking of just closing out on everything soon as this rally imo is not going to last much longer in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    the order was filled pre opening @ 12:00 GMT

What broker is that? Didn't think there was any pre marketing trading with any Irish offerings?

Someone mentioned Paypal here recently and I responded saying that I can see big competition in the form of something like WeChat/Alipay offerings in China.

Well looks like that might happen sooner rather than later:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidphelan/2020/06/18/whatsapp-suddenly-launches-ground-breaking-new-feature/#397162242d6b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Kilboor wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Paypal here recently and I responded saying that I can see big competition in the form of something like WeChat/Alipay offerings in China.

Well looks like that might happen sooner rather than later:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidphelan/2020/06/18/whatsapp-suddenly-launches-ground-breaking-new-feature/#397162242d6b

I think that that more muscles in on Revolut than Paypal

I use ameritrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

championc wrote: »
    I think that that more muscles in on Revolut than Paypal

Would I be right in saying that this would affect more consumer to consumer payments where as Paypal is more to do with business to consumer?

Read something yesterday about Paypal that they are allegedly getting into the crypto business and making the buying of crypto using fiat available to their 300+ million customers

RedRochey wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that this would affect more consumer to consumer payments where as Paypal is more to do with business to consumer?

You'd be right with the initial implementation however in China services like this - particularly if you look at wechat/wepay - are used as an all in one for everything including consumer to business.

That said it's still entirely possible for Paypal to plug this gap in the market too but Facebook (WhatsApp) have the perfect chat platform to create a full social eco system along with Instagram and Facebook itself of course.

• Advertisement

If i had the nerve, I'd short the S&P right now....I wonder what would future Lex be telling me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

RedRochey wrote: »

Not even quite that - if my kids decide they want to buy a takeaway, one buys and the others Revolut their portion to the orderer.

Revolut is more an electronic version of "giz a loan of a fiver", so you could see WhatsApp becoming popular for the "giz a loan of a fiver" scenario too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If i had the nerve, I'd short the S&P right now....I wonder what would future Lex be telling me

Problem is, many of us can see there is something wrong - but there is no way to tell how long it can last and how far central banks are willing/able to go to influence* markets.

* my polite word for “manipulate”

Holding a bit of cash today to make some moves.

I opened a position in $RGLS yesterday, I think there's some easy money to be made here over the next month. They're efficiently run for a biotech with a phase 1 trial results catalyst due "Mid 2020". Enough cash. PT $1 + and entry looks good in the .70s

I'm also still holding $CLRB with a BEP of 1.08, not sure what to do with this but I've a price target set for myself of around 1.40. No catalysts in particular but it's been safely consolidating around the 1.20 range so I'm happy with that for the time being

I also mentioned $ANVS recently. Holding that until at least next year.

Was looking at opening a position in $BBI again but it shot up from 1.05 yesterday to the 1.30 range pre market. I'll probably remove it from my radar if it stays there. Otherwise I see it as a safe gamble under 1.20 as a longer term hold.

All things going well, with the cash I'll either average down/increase my position in RGLS, or open a new position in MIST.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Problem is, many of us can see there is something wrong - but there is no way to tell how long it can last and how far central banks are willing/able to go to influence* markets.

I got burned once shorting and I couldnt take my emotions out of the trade and if I had I would have been ok 3 months later

I'll regret this one though, I'm fairly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Bob24 wrote: »

A lot of yanks now jumping into the "we've bottomed" and market is right :eek:

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/dont-think-theres-much-disconnect-220007652.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/existing-home-sales-economic-indicator-may-have-bottomed-in-may-morning-brief-101752350.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A lot?
    Some.

I can find a dozen articles that counter these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    A lot?
    Some.

I can find a dozen articles that counter these.

we can find anything if you go looking for. However if you scroll through just say Yahoo Finance...you'll find a lot of the people who're agreeing with this sentiment...even some of the big names in the fund industry...

BTW I'm not suggesting anyone to buy now...I'm on the otherside actually waiting/hoping for a dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

we can find anything if you go looking for. However if you scroll through just say Yahoo Finance...you'll find a lot of the people who're agreeing with this sentiment...even some of the big names in the fund industry...

BTW I'm not suggesting anyone to buy now...I'm on the otherside actually waiting/hoping for a dip.

I get where you're coming from.
    There's so much noise it's near impossible to see what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Those people are usually doing two things:
    - they are making an assumption that the virus situation is definitely under control and will only get better from here. It could be the case but anyone thinking it is a certainty or even a very high probability is clearly deluded.
    - they are making an assumption that the economy reaching a local bottom means that not only the only way for the foreseeable future is up, but also that reaching a bottom automatically means recovering full economic activity by the beginning of next year. Pretty strong and uncertain assumptions as well IMO.

So yeah those people exist, but I am also hearing opposite views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

KTOV flying since yesterday, up in premarket. My BEP 0.77, holding for a while to cross $1.00, glad I kept the patience

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Thinking maybe we should have some way to tag a post as a investment or a trade - can see how some get confused.
    like a trade idea would be something for a month or 2 or a day in some cases :D and an investment idea like 5 years
    not sure it there any way to do it on a forum maybe some mod could help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah to be honest 80-90% of my portfolio is investments, but it's the Trade side that makes for more interesting reading/conversation. That's the side that I tend to do more trades (obviously) and research on.

Ideanomics (IDEX) is my latest one that's crossed my path, opened a small starter position yesterday. It's a tech company involved with Electronic vehicles. Has contracts for supplying a lot of Electric Taxis and Electric Busses in China, and has tie ins with Tesla, Nikola and VW. Trading has rocketed this week off the back of a new contract, still looks tiny market cap compared to the revenue figures they're quoting (looks too good to be true warning). I'm waiting to read about it from a more reputable source before going bigger into it. The Dave Portnoy/Robinhood traders are all over it so massive fluctuations to be expected.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest 80-90% of my portfolio is investments, but it's the Trade side that makes for more interesting reading/conversation. That's the side that I tend to do more trades (obviously) and research on.

Ideanomics (IDEX) is my latest one that's crossed my path, opened a small starter position yesterday. It's a tech company involved with Electronic vehicles. Has contracts for supplying a lot of Electric Taxis and Electric Busses in China, and has tie ins with Tesla, Nikola and VW. Trading has rocketed this week off the back of a new contract, still looks tiny market cap compared to the revenue figures they're quoting (looks too good to be true warning). I'm waiting to read about it from a more reputable source before going bigger into it. The Dave Portnoy/Robinhood traders are all over it so massive fluctuations to be expected.

I generally avoid anything that everyone is jumping on. Idex has been on the robinhood and Reddit radar the last week majorly.

I like to get in before the crowd through my own DD ;)

Shedite27 wrote: »

I came across that one yesterday, did it not moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Pfizer is a good shout for an investment with a decent dividend (4.5%).
    There revenue isn't growing though so I wouldn't expect a significant gain in their share price mightn't be a bad one to short soon if you know what your doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

jams100 wrote: »
    Pfizer is a good shout for an investment with a decent dividend (4.5%).
    There revenue isn't growing though so I wouldn't expect a significant gain in their share price mightn't be a bad one to short soon if you know what your doing

So which is it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Bob Harris wrote: »
    So which is it? :confused:

I'm in as a long term investment mainly because of good dividend. Don't know enough to short trades :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Ktov jesus christ

60% up, hope some of you got in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭crushproof

omerin wrote: »
    Ktov jesus christ

60% up, hope some of you got in

Dam I jumped off that train a whole ago after making a nice profit. Shoulda held on but well done to those that did!

Advertisement