Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bob Harris wrote: »
    So which is it? :confused:

go long but put a short hedge in just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭crushproof

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Advertising on TikTok is managed by a company called The Trade Desk who I bought this week.

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2020/03/19/tiktok-picks-the-trade-desk-monetise-its-inventory

This was a massive shout, well done. Currently $415 and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

crushproof wrote: »
    This was a massive shout, well done. Currently $415 and rising.
    Yeah it's a monster of a company, was $287 before the crash in Feb, bought it at $170 in the dip in March, up 143% since then.
    Added again at $311 and $370. The more I read about it the more I like it. They supply the advertising on a bunch of different streaming services, like Roku, Amazon, Comcast and Disney. So they get income from all those as those grow, but aren't dependent on any if they do fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is AMZN ever going to stop rising?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thargor wrote: »

Replace AMZN with GOOG, MSFT, AAPL, FB...all hitting or nearing highs today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Thargor wrote: »

When they get broken up due to regulatory requirements, nothing is forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

omerin wrote: »
    Ktov jesus christ

60% up, hope some of you got in

Got in at the high point today, following a share issue announcement im now down 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

imonboard wrote: »
    Got in at the high point today, following a share issue announcement im now down 50%.

Never FOMO buy especially with Biotech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Degiro fees are cheap. Depends on the share but buying and selling fees could be €1 in total. Other companies (eg Trading 212) have no fees on share trades.

If 212 don't charge and DeGiro do, why are DeGiro more popular?

Kilboor wrote: »
    JPMorgan
    Coca-Cola and/or Pepsi

Aren't Coca Cola's increases very mediocre considering the behemoth of a company they are?

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Aren't Coca Cola's increases very mediocre considering the behemoth of a company they are?

It's perfect for a long term diversified portfolio. Where behemoth banks, department stores, and tech giants have become bankrupt as well as fallen massively in market share, Coca Cola has remained ever growing over time.

Kilboor wrote: »
    It's perfect for a long term diversified portfolio. Where behemoth banks, department stores, and tech giants have become bankrupt as well as fallen massively in market share, Coca Cola has remained ever growing over time.

It was at $40 a share 5 years ago versus $45 today. That seems quite a boring increase

I'm looking for something that could almost double 10 years from now. Surely something like Amazon is a better choice for that kind of increase?

It was at $40 a share 5 years ago versus $45 today. That seems quite a boring increase

I'm looking for something that could almost double 10 years from now. Surely something like Amazon is a better choice for that kind of increase?

Yes but the initial poster I replied to was talking about holding stocks long term in a diversified portfolio.

You're looking for guarantees of doubling your money in ten years? I mean sure all indications are Amazon is an unstoppable force and if it continues on its current trajectory it could easily be triple it's current value in ten years.

I'd be looking into competitors and politics carefully though. Amazon's reputation has been mixed in recent years and the new crop of upcoming politicians (democrats) want to limit its growth.

omerin wrote: »
    Ktov jesus christ

60% up, hope some of you got in

Who tipped that?

I'll be keeping an eye on their future posts

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Has anyone took a plunge with the airlines yet?

Keeping an eye on Southwest, surely one of the most secure airlines to come out of all this in once piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Yes, but a stock you hope would be worth double 10 years from now is far more likely to tank within that 10 years. Besides, you didn't factor in an unprecedented, once in 100 years global pandemic, so all those people with a good chunk of their savings in Coca Cola would be delighted that its 8% up rather than 80% down. Built like a tank, which is what I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Yes, but a stock you hope would be worth double 10 years from now is far more likely to tank within that 10 years. Besides, you didn't factor in an unprecedented, once in 100 years global pandemic, so all those people with a good chunk of their savings in Coca Cola would be delighted that its 8% up rather than 80% down. Built like a tank, which is what I'm after.
    And to look at the share price misses the majority of the gains. Modest capital appreciation along with a current dividend yield in excess of 3.5% per annum means that's where most of the gains have been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Is this thread about contract for difference trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

What brokers do most posters here use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Meleftone wrote: »
    What brokers do most posters here use?

Etrade for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

To have a chance of achieving your objective you need to buy at a price that gives you at least a 3 to one probability. Do that for 10 or 12 stocks and you should double your money every five or six years.

Of course it requires hard work and discipline two things that seem to be in short supply.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ah, hmm... well... CFDs not for you then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Avoid cfds like the plague! Look at the disclosures cfd providers have to advertise. I saw one recently where it said 70 per cent of people lose money on cfds

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

If 212 don't charge and DeGiro do, why are DeGiro more popular?

Dunno. I've been using Degiro since 2016. I only heard of Trading 212 a few months ago. I opened an account and put a few quid in to try them out. Seem fine.
    An advantage for me is they allow fractional shares. I bought a few hundred quid of Amazon, Tesla & Google.
    To buy one of each normally would have cost several 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Ah, hmm... well... CFDs not for you then

I'm unsure what you are trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Dunno. I've been using Degiro since 2016. I only heard of Trading 212 a few months ago. I opened an account and put a few quid in to try them out. Seem fine.
    An advantage for me is they allow fractional shares. I bought a few hundred quid of Amazon, Tesla & Google.
    To buy one of each normally would have cost several 1000.

Are you using both now?

Had a look at Trading212 practice account yesterday, couple of stocks I'm in aren't present on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I'm using Degiro, find their UI very easy on the phone...have set-up an account with Interactive brokers..haven't used much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

irishlad. wrote: »
    Has anyone took a plunge with the airlines yet?

Keeping an eye on Southwest, surely one of the most secure airlines to come out of all this in once piece.

Yeah i've been looking at IAG yesterday and kinda sketched out a rough plan, goes something like this
    Buy 2.36 needs to hold or all bets are off (i wont be the first mover)
    Start selling from 4.43 to 5.66 all out at 5.66
    Buy 4.43
    Sell 6.39 all out

Will be a long and kinda boring trade so not going to put much in it (5 months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

On Degiro for a couple of years. Fees are pretty reasonable, its the various charges lobbed on by the exchanges (and Government stamp duties) that really grind my gears. European Bourses are gone mad with their charges.... US is the only place to trade, without feeling like you've been bummed.

Are there any limitations or funny stuff about 212? for instance, is it possible to open a new account at the moment ?

Advertisement