Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

About to go down the keyboard rabbit hole again.

I always end back up with Logitech after messing around with others. They last years compared to other peripherals I've owned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I always end back up with Logitech after messing around with others. They last years compared to other peripherals I've owned

Yeah it's just easier to go with the known stuff, once there isn't a mad premium at least. My g710+ is on its last legs lost a few keys already has had plenty of stuff spilled on it and well it's just old. Thinking steelseries or Corsair not really a fan of any of the current logitech. May go on a Ducky shine 7 as it seems to tick a lot of boxes for me

Exact what I'm going back to. I've saved up to get the G915 TKL. Expensive but it will be endgame hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I went from a Logitech G413 to a custom made 60% board.

The custom has a low profile red aluminum case, DS60 board flashed with VIA and 67G Zilents switches. It's a massive step up from the Logitech and the switches are lovely and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Homelander wrote: »
    Realistically though is there any point? The difference is so utterly minuscule and you're worrying about potential instability under certain conditions.

We all remember the champion days where you'd get a 20-50% overclock on certain CPUs, but Ryzen really doesn't offer any compelling reason to overclock at all.

Obviously I know there's an enthusiast/interest aspect to it, but personally I just don't see the point, at best you're talking a percent or two improvement.

Not much point really no. I just read some of the newer samples were clocking as high as 4.4 - 4.5Ghz. Just wanted to see if I got lucky. Only took 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

About to go down the keyboard rabbit hole again.

The keebs I got are working out for me - don't think I could go back to full-size again.

HyperX Red switches feel a small amount smoother than regular Cherry MX.
    Just a shame the Alloy Origins Core ships with thin ABS keycaps; can definitely feel the difference between them & PBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The keebs

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Is there any user's on boards who have a |Phanteks Shift X?

I really want to buy that case. but the mother board I want is DTX, but it looks like the 3.9cm of space is there but I think I may need to make some case modding to do it. But I'm curious to see if the space is there? none the less any one know some one with that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I thought I'd hate in screen fingerprint readers - they're fantastic.

Big oof.
    Also we should make an Intel CPU/GPU thread at some stage.

• Advertisement

It's not.

Just look at equivalent X570 boards and lop off 50-100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Amazon is a reseller, so its either a mistake from Amazon, or its a scam.

Looks like it's been taken down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

$300 budget motherboards. What a time to be alive.
    (Yes, I understand that a PCI gen 4 will add unavoidable cost to the chipset, but this seems excessive)

It's nice that there are options around $100-1300 as well, but I'm wondering how stripped down they are.

Serephucus wrote: »
    $300 budget motherboards. What a time to be alive.
    (Yes, I understand that a PCI gen 4 will add unavoidable cost to the chipset, but this seems excessive)

It's nice that there are options around $100-1300 as well, but I'm wondering how stripped down they are.

B550 isn't budget, that's the upcoming B520.

B550 is mid-range.

But lookit; any motherboard that's higher-priced than the X570 Tomahawk is going to have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'll let y's know how I find it.
    mEvxOm3.jpg

So it arrived. It's a tiny bit taller than I expected so taking me a little time to get used to typing with it but seems fine for gaming. I have it placed a bit left to my keyboard because that's actually where my left hand comes in from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

I see the absolute **** talk has begun over on the console forums. Someone just claimed the PS5 is more powerful than dual 2080Ti's.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile we'll get RDNA 2 before em'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    B550 isn't budget, that's the upcoming B520.

B550 is mid-range.

But lookit; any motherboard that's higher-priced than the X570 Tomahawk is going to have problems.

A520* is the upcoming budget/entry level range :D

Yes, B550 is mid-range. Like myself I want that sweet pcie4 and usb 3.1+ ports for some futureproof, X570 won't be my choice (that uplink pcie4 i have no use and i dont need so many extra ports), it would be interesting to see details on A520 but i need a mobo now so...

I think now truly is the worst period of time to do upgrades, i think the price for B550 is jacked up because they would like to rake in some nice cash before X670 (it is supposed to come late-2020). So actually if you are into OC/enthusiast setup then you best wait until late-2020 or early 2021.

That, and supply chains are still FUBAR

mEvxOm3.jpg

So it arrived. It's a tiny bit taller than I expected so taking me a little time to get used to typing with it but seems fine for gaming. I have it placed a bit left to my keyboard because that's actually where my left hand comes in from.

It'll take some time to get used to it. But once you do its all gucci. :)

Homelander wrote: »
    I see the absolute **** talk has begun over on the console forums. Someone just claimed the PS5 is more powerful than dual 2080Ti's.

Ah here. Plz link.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Anyone ordered off overclockers lately? Bought some stuff and am wondering if I'm going to be waiting a while

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    Anyone ordered off overclockers lately? Bought some stuff and am wondering if I'm going to be waiting a while

No really quick delivery 2 days I got my stuff but there could be delays due to corona virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I haven't upgraded my CPU (i7-4770k) since 2013 when I bought it. Never felt I needed to. A whole system upgrade would probably be advised before trying a new CPU I bet, right? Doesn't seem worth investing too much more into this machine outside of quality of life things. Would a new CPU actually give any real benefit in something like gaming?

Unrelated but I just found this thing called core control. I used to always set my CPU to performance via a terminal but this nice little yoke is letting me select profiles per application. I actually just turned the fans to max and it sounds like a small vacuum... and you know what? I honestly don't mind it! I might just leave it like that lol. Or is that bad to have max fans all the time? I honestly just feel better knowing that it's running as cool as it can when I'm streaming n' such, just to rule out that as a possible reason for frame drops if they happen. I can't really hear them once I have my earphones in, either. I already have an air purifier in the gaff so I guess I'm used to this sorta sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »

I've an RMA replacement order being shipped to me from them. It was sent last Thursday, it's in Dublin but not with me yet.

• Advertisement

Are any of the German websites for computer gear shipping to Ireland?

Advertisement