Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

How much RAM have you got?

If minecraft is having issues like that check CPU usage and RAM usage. The only other time I see minecraft doing that is with server lag so if your playing on a server it could be that.

RAM especially if its modded minecraft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I suspect its the RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

How much ram have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Forget 10th gen Intel, get a 4000 series Ryzen (zen 3) once they are released.

I seemed to have the impression that if you picked a PC with top spec processor you would well over €2k?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

excited for June because I am planning to upgrade my itx rig and this B550 is just coming out, i am gonna get it one as soon as it is ready on amazon :D

Ryzen 3600 is on the way already (this thing takes 3 weeks to ship....)

anyone has experience with both Adata Samsung NVMe M2 SSD? Ideally i would like to go with 500GB - there is like a 50e difference between them. Any durability issue with Adata? I trust more on Samsung from personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looking at picking up a 1TB NVMe M2 drive too and looking at the prices for the ADATA X8200 Pro and Western Digital SN750 I can't decide whether it's a bad time to buy the ADATA or a good time to buy the WD. :o

I don't think I'd notice the performance difference the extra £50 would cost with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus so unless Viking offer that ridiculous mis-price again, I think I'm going to rule that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Adata is solid. I got the XPG 8200 or w/e it's called. Pretty close to the Samsungs performance for a fair bit less.

As long as it has TLC Nand instead of QLC you're sorted. It tends to be faster and lasts a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

gizmo wrote: »
    Looking at picking up a 1TB NVMe M2 drive too and looking at the prices for the ADATA X8200 Pro and Western Digital SN750 I can't decide whether it's a bad time to buy the ADATA or a good time to buy the WD. :o

I don't think I'd notice the performance difference the extra £50 would cost with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus so unless Viking offer that ridiculous mis-price again, I think I'm going to rule that one out.
    I have an 1Tb X8200 pro (I liked it so much I bought a 2Tb one as my data drive) and I find it snappier than my 970 pro in my other system. It just seems more responsive.
    I would pick the X8200 over any other drive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    Adata is solid. I got the XPG 8200 or w/e it's called. Pretty close to the Samsungs performance for a fair bit less.

As long as it has TLC Nand instead of QLC you're sorted. It tends to be faster and lasts a lot longer.

Both are similar, write endurance won't really matter even if it was QLC. I've got a 1TB QVO arriving today, 360TB write endurance. If it lasts 6yrs thats 165GB per day. As long as you aren't thrashing it with a massive page file you'll never get that far.

Servers can kill MLCs easily in 2-3yrs but for home use it really doesnt matter. Having enough cache to maintain write speeds over a 200GB game download might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

thanks lads for the feedback, just ordered 1TB on Adata XPG SX8200 - and it looks like it will arrive in early July...

is fine as i am waiting for B550 mobo to show up anyway

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Both are similar, write endurance won't really matter even if it was QLC. I've got a 1TB QVO arriving today, 360TB write endurance. If it lasts 6yrs thats 165GB per day. As long as you aren't thrashing it with a massive page file you'll never get that far.

Servers can kill MLCs easily in 2-3yrs but for home use it really doesnt matter. Having enough cache to maintain write speeds over a 200GB game download might though.

Just the prices are so close at the moment I don't see the point in going QLC unless the budget is tight. £20 between them.

I know I'll have use for a 1TB NVME for quite a few years. I'm still using some old ass sata 256gb ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm still using some old ass 128gb ssds!

my x79 pc is getting too old. Creaking a bit when I've only got docker, a hyper v windows 10 vm, WSL, after effects, photoshop and vlc playing an SRT stream at the same time

Need to make a thread soon and start planning a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BloodBath wrote: »
    Just the prices are so close at the moment I don't see the point in going QLC unless the budget is tight. £20 between them.

I know I'll have use for a 1TB NVME for quite a few years. I'm still using some old ass sata 256gb ones.

I've slowly rotated out my old, small SSDs.
    Gave one to my friend building his first PC, another to the GF with an old Macbook running out of storage (put it in a caddy).

Storage now is:
    Entry-level TLC NVMe for OS - 480Gb
    QLC NVMe for games - 1Tb
    SATA SSDs for games - 1Tb + 750Gb
    4Tb HDD for media
    640Gb HDD for backups (+100Gb Google storage)

That's a good setup. QLC is perfectly good for a games drive. Not a whole lot of writes going on there.

I still find a big HDD good enough for most games. Some big stuff with slower loading times can go onto an SSD.

What board are you using for the 2 x NVME?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New mech keyboard just arrived.....couriers played football with it. To say I'm livid is an understatement.

New mech keyboard just arrived.....couriers played football with it. To say I'm livid is an understatement.

Not good. Who delivered it? Fastway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Homelander

Those guys are the absolute worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'll never forget the day I was standing at the sink and the Fastway guy walked past the window and fired my package over the fence and half way up the back garden. As he was walking back out he saw me, looked back at the fence and legged it back to the van :pac:

DPD and GLS (I used a mail forwarder).

Fastway are definitely the worst, I would have previously put Nightline as the 2nd worst but now I'll give it to GLS. 14th to the 26th is pretty poor for courier within Europe (UPS would be 3 days max), DE to IE. But the managed to bend the metal backing board in the keyboard so it won't even go back together. Box is scuffed but not destroyed so I'd say they put something heavy but flat on top of it.

The forwarder complicates things so I think I'm just gonna paypal claim it.

To top it off An Post Courier have "attempted" a delivery twice while I was in the front garden, magically I missed them as did the other two in the household. Must have active camouflage.....

• Advertisement

DPD and GLS (I used a mail forwarder).

Fastway are definitely the worst, I would have previously put Nightline as the 2nd worst but now I'll give it to GLS. 14th to the 26th is pretty poor for courier within Europe (UPS would be 3 days max), DE to IE. But the managed to bend the metal backing board in the keyboard so it won't even go back together. Box is scuffed but not destroyed so I'd say they put something heavy but flat on top of it.

The forwarder complicates things so I think I'm just gonna paypal claim it.

To top it off An Post Courier have "attempted" a delivery twice while I was in the front garden, magically I missed them as did the other two in the household. Must have active camouflage.....

Where did you buy from?

Expert.

Its an old model (610 Orion) so ISO options were very limited.

Expert.

Its an old model (610 Orion) so ISO options were very limited.

Maybe they'll replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,864 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys anyone have the SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset?

Thinking of getting it for a Macbook (for work) and wondering what it's like in general?

Im in need of a wireless headset

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I have the Pro Wireless.

I like it. I got replacement ear cushions, because the normal ones - while very comfortable and breathable - weren't quite deep enough, so I could feel the drivers on the tips of my ears.

Battery life is solid - I'm only charging it every few days, and that's with pretty heavy use. Sound is great, though there is a little background hiss. I've got above-average ears though, so take that as you will.

My biggest complaint? You have to hold the power button for an unreasonably long time for the headset to turn on. It's like 4 seconds or something stupid.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I have the Pro Wireless.

I like it. I got replacement ear cushions, because the normal ones - while very comfortable and breathable - weren't quite deep enough, so I could feel the drivers on the tips of my ears.

Battery life is solid - I'm only charging it every few days, and that's with pretty heavy use. Sound is great, though there is a little background hiss. I've got above-average ears though, so take that as you will.

My biggest complaint? You have to hold the power button for an unreasonably long time for the headset to turn on. It's like 4 seconds or something stupid.

What's the mic quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

This should help you out more than my useless descriptions:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys anyone have the SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset?

Thinking of getting it for a Macbook (for work) and wondering what it's like in general?

Im in need of a wireless headset

I've had them for the last 2 years. Battery life lasts a few days, never heard complaints about the mic quality and Very comfortable for long sessions.

Only thing to consider if using them with the Mac is that the connector is USB rather than USB-c (depending on year of your Macbook).

I've had them for the last 2 years. Battery life lasts a few days, never heard complaints about the mic quality and Very comfortable for long sessions.

Only thing to consider if using them with the Mac is that the connector is USB rather than USB-c (depending on year of your Macbook).

Yup I have a usb C to usb adaptor so i'm good

• Advertisement

I currently have the SteelSeries Arctis 5, RGB Illumination Gaming Headset and had it for some time, a great headset

if I can get the same with the SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset ill be delighted

Advertisement